• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Daouzin

Shameless plug for my first youtube video, also first episode (Since it's about Melee, I thought it would be cool to post here):
5 More Years! Why Melee is Still Relevant - Episode 1: August 17th 2016

Honest constructive feedback is highly appreciated. I've never done a youtube video before, so I have a lot of room for growth.

I recorded this yesterday and wanted to give it 12-24 hours to breathe and watch it/listen to it again before posting it. It's essentially a "pilot," for a series I want to make/I'm trying to make. I think some criticism will be very obvious, it's definitely 7 minutes longer than what I wanted. I was thinking 10 minutes tops and it's like 17 minutes. However, I'm sure there's tons of stuff to improve on, that I may not even notice. So all criticism is welcome.

Most of the clips I show, you don't really have to watch, so if you want to just listen to it while you do something else, that totally works.

Thanks!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The two biggest things that stand out are 1) use video editing instead of a full video of raw footage, and 2) volume leveling.

If you are going to show videos, talk about the video then cut to the video and play what you want of it in fullscreen, then cut back to you. This would also let you cut your video into segments you can do different takes on instead of having to redo the whole thing. You would probably agree you rambled a bit at times, and this would let you do a second for a segment to clean it up while avoiding jump cuts.

Lucumo

The two biggest things that stand out are 1) use video editing instead of a full video of raw footage

Immediately what stood out to me and what turned me off (so I only watched a bit of the whole thing).
(I'm also, personally, not really a fan of the whole "need camera" thing. I don't need to see someone to hear their voice.)

Nice voice though, from the bit that I heard. That's essential for any type of commentary.

Daouzin

The two biggest things that stand out are 1) use video editing instead of a full video of raw footage, and 2) volume leveling.

Thanks, everyone else has said similar things so I'll definitely fix the stuff you mentioned before doing another one.

(I'm also, personally, not really a fan of the whole "need camera" thing. I don't need to see someone to hear their voice.)

Nice voice though, from the bit that I heard. That's essential for any type of commentary.

Cool, yeah, I wasn't sure if not being in the video was a cop out so I wanted to try doing it the "traditional" way, at least for my first attempt. People basically want me to have the camera on me and transition to the clips rather than have a browser open. That should also help with the audio.

Thanks to both of you for checking it out and giving me your honest feed back, definitely appreciate it!

Daouzin

Double Post, but this doesn't relate at all to the above post.

Apparently there's this thing called Heart Shielding?

Here's the Reddit Post

Basically you can store a Power Shield for a later use.

Tai summed it up for me since I'm at work, haha.

"This gif makes it slightly more obvious how it works, since both of these moves are physical attacks. Basically, you need to physical PS a move that does < 3 and then I think whatever your shield gets hit by afterwards will get powershielded"

Referenced GIF

I think the main thing is that you NEED to use the physical PS shieldbox (which is larger and outside the projectile reflect PS shieldbox, which is the smaller circle)

Yp4GNnm.png

I'm just always impressed by new discoveries over a decade and a half later.

emb

https://smash.gg/tmg/

Just a reminder if you're in the U.S. your college may already be starting up a roster for The Melee Games.
Wish we had this when I was in school. We had the best, 3rd-ish best, and 10th or so best players from my state attending at one point, along with probably 3 or 4 average players (like me) we coulda subbed in wherever. I think we would have done well. At least I can always still hope to see all our local colleges do well.

Wish we had this when I was in school. We had the best, 3rd-ish best, and 10th or so best players from my state attending at one point, along with probably 3 or 4 average players (like me) we coulda subbed in wherever. I think we would have done well. At least I can always still hope to see all our local colleges do well.

Same. I told our two colleges in town that I would be happy to be their team rep and sponsor their dues, but I can't seem to find 5 people in college that play seriously. I want to hold tryouts the second week of September but I doubt that'll happen :/

Lucumo

Did anyone watch the Heir III battle of Netherlands vs Germany? How did the latter lose?

And damn at Austria beating Sweden and England.

/edit: And Netherlands now. Impressive run to get into GF.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Austria is not the country I'd have expected to be in grand finals on winners side, having eliminated Sweden.

Having both Leffen and Armada feels like cheating though lol.

Codeblue

Best part of EU tournaments is hearing Fauster get so excited that he's eventually just shrieking.

Edit: Chu Dat taking a game off Armada's Peach with IC's and taking out VA 3-2 in the same match up. Insane.

xezuru

I'm glad I've never had an experience with rotten no bathe smash stereotypes.
I mean everyone in my locals weed it up out on the porch but even then nothing has been invasive for me to even notice while playing.

Codeblue

I'm glad I've never had an experience with rotten no bathe smash stereotypes.
I mean everyone in my locals weed it up out on the porch but even then nothing has been invasive for me to even notice while playing.

I started driving an hour and half to go to weeklies because my locals use to smell like sewage.

Loooool. I like the pop off, but it's so incredibly awkward immediately. He instantly turns it down after the scream, looks strange.

I went 1-2 at a Fresno Quarterly yesterday.

But you're damn right when I got called for my first match I went "OH YEAH LET'S GOOOOOO" As loud as I could.

Go hard or go HOME.

I went home two games after that one.

I started driving an hour and half to go to weeklies because my locals use to smell like sewage.

CenCal has the problem in the summer where even if you wash up before a tournament it's like 4-5 hours of brackets in 100 degree heat outside and like 80 degree heat inside even with AC.

It's brutal. Everyone smells of sweat.

emb

I went 1-2 at a Fresno Quarterly yesterday.

But you're damn right when I got called for my first match I went "OH YEAH LET'S GOOOOOO" As loud as I could.

Go hard or go HOME.

I went home two games after that one.

CenCal has the problem in the summer where even if you wash up before a tournament it's like 4-5 hours of brackets in 100 degree heat outside and like 80 degree heat inside even with AC.

It's brutal. Everyone smells of sweat.
Haha, gotta live lift while you got it. I've never been one to pop off much though, mostly because I don't do too much winning. When I do clutch out a really tight set though, I tend to stick to an understated fist pump.

Regarding sweat: yeah, some venues make it really hard to feel clean throughout a long tournament day. I slather on too much deodorant and hope for the best, but sometimes it's just not enough.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
"Who do you main?
Fox."

I knew there had to be a specific Melee reference on the page somewhere.

Looks like one of the criticisms he might fix is having a box as the main character. Having a proper character might be tough to animate appropriately, but it would probably look pretty slick.

emb

Speaking of which, has there been any info on the Project M dev teams project that was announced/teased a while ago? It was by Wavedash Studios or something.
They revealed the first character design: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgFhsnFO_JY

They've been pretty upfront in that they're making a platform fighter. Iirc it's supposed to be a free to play, often updated kinda thing. They had a Reddit AMA where they talked some about their plans. I also seem them post 'commit of the day' messages on Twitter, most of which sound pretty good. I'll be interested to see what their game is.
signing up for smash the record

should probably play melee... it's been a while
Do it!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of which, has there been any info on the Project M dev teams project that was announced/teased a while ago? It was by Wavedash Studios or something.

Wavedash is a separate thing, but they did hire(?) StrongBad over the summer giving them 2 former PM devs I think.

The PM team probably doesn't actually have a their own game in the works, based on comments and actions from most of the former team they just went their separate ways. Some just went back to Brawl modding (and now Smash 4 modding).

Shine is gonna be one fun place to go 0 and 2 thanks to those Lane Change side event brackets.

I won't win even in those, but I'm gonna have a lot of fun losing as annoyingly as possible.

So I got three Avermedia LGP capture devices to record matches off my new Wii to HDMI monitor setups.

Our next biweekly will have three setups to record matches - one for each game. Hopefully I'll have some decent Melee matches to upload for you guys.

I'm just amazed it's been 8 months since our last venue went under and we moved to the new one. Our old TO barely comes to tournaments anymore, but I've got someone who helps me run things and it's been great learning so much as a TO.

Shame I don't get much time to practice, but the SoCal PM Arcadian is this weekend and I'm bringing a few of our best players down. Gonna be a good time.

woodland

Wavedash is a separate thing, but they did hire(?) StrongBad over the summer giving them 2 former PM devs I think.

The PM team probably doesn't actually have a their own game in the works, based on comments and actions from most of the former team they just went their separate ways. Some just went back to Brawl modding (and now Smash 4 modding).

Yea I kinda remembered that but never really kept up with the exact members and just remember being hyped that they had one person from the team.

Don't really love Ashani's design ;\ but the big fists make it a little better. Pumped to see some fucking gameplay lol.

Also, any news on that Melee netclient that got teased around EVO that was supposedly god-tier compared to Dolphin?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
At least I get to watch the main event: top 48. Sounds like R2 pools was pretty good though?

Smash.gg's bracket projections are funny. Captain Smuckers over Silent Wolf? Captain Faceroll over Professor Pro? Slox over Chillindude? Infinite Numbers over Wobbles? Any of those sound like upsets to me.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Could Shine be the tournament we see next non-god after Leffen win a major? Probably not, but this top 8 looks ripe for upsets. Hbox gonna ruin the fun though.

GamerJM

Banned
Could Shine be the tournament we see next non-god after Leffen win a major? Probably not, but this top 8 looks ripe for upsets. Hbox gonna ruin the fun though.

I predict SFAT sends HBox to loser's finals but then HBox makes a run through losers and clutches things out in grand's against all odds (Kappa).

emb

I predict SFAT sends HBox to loser's finals but then HBox makes a run through losers and clutches things out in grand's against all odds (Kappa).
He's always kept it close vs Hbox, and afaik only recently has SFAT been able to beat people like Plup, M2K. He could possibly do it.

My gut is saying this one will be 3-1 Hbox though.

Codeblue

I would not be surprised at all if Plup wins.

I would if he's really going to bet it all on Fox. His Fox is too inconsistent. It's going to be a force of nature if he switches though.

Also, happy to see MacD back in top 8. Seems like that guy fell off for a while.

Anth0ny

so does anyone know why plup is playing fox? has he come out and said why?

from what I recall, he's been able to beat every other player with his sheik or samus, or at the very least come suuuuuuuuper close. just seems totally unnecessary to me.

Pappasman

so does anyone know why plup is playing fox? has he come out and said why?

from what I recall, he's been able to beat every other player with his sheik or samus, or at the very least come suuuuuuuuper close. just seems totally unnecessary to me.
I think he said he wants to play shiek and fox, with samus as a pocket backup.

Top Bottom