• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

I imagine this will be short lived. He said he wants to make Puff viable in that game. It's like trying to make Kirby viable in Melee. Not happening.

Plus, if M2K takes a performance hit for playing two games, there's no way Hbox'll fare any better.

As a Puff main in Smash 4, nothing would make me happier than him pulling this off, sort pessimistic on the prospects though.

It's weird how you say this when M2K is finally moving up in Smash 4 :p

xezuru

It's weird how you say this when M2K is finally moving up in Smash 4 :p

m2k been juggling 2-3 games for like 8 years and still has trouble with it, honestly a spur of the moment effort to make one of worst characters work is pretty laughable, Wizzrobe is more of the insane breed to play multiple games but even he couldn't keep up results and his 3rd+ tier games results fell off hard.

Back in town from being in Irvine for a week for training.

I got to play Lucky in winner's round 2 at Power 9 on Thursday.

I took three stocks across two games lol.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Shame Professor Pro probably won't make it, even if he eeks out of this round.

I wonder when character will play a factor? I can't see all three Falcon mains making it, for example.

xezuru

Last minute was insane, with Mafia pulling out like a 5k or some shit spirit bomb
which I'm pretty eh about Mafia but hopefully he doesn't get destroyed like every other esam outlier at summit
and S2J winning at last second with <100 votes.

DistantScratchyJellyfish-size_restricted.gif

At this point, I hope n0ne, moon, pewpewu, prof pro, make it out. They have pretty distinct personalities and characteristics both in and out of game which would make Summit better for.

S2J reaction is everything S2J in one minute.

Pappasman

I was watching that the last ten minutes. It was pretty intense. Wizzy and s2j had first and second locked down for a long time, but that last minute was crazy.

I dumped all my votes on the moon. Hope he makes it.

Codeblue

Man, that shot of Splatoon in that arena.

Melee actually did that a couple of months ago. The groundwork has already been laid. The money is on the table waiting for Nintendo to pick it up. They have a game that can fill arenas and it isn't Splatoon. Build that franchise too, but don't ignore the easiest way to that esports pie with a game that has stood the test of time and flourished despite so many issues that could be solved with an HD release.

Neoxon

Melee actually did that a couple of months ago. The groundwork has already been laid. The money is on the table waiting for Nintendo to pick it up. They have a game that can fill arenas and it isn't Splatoon. Build that franchise too, but don't ignore the easiest way to that esports pie with a game that has stood the test of time and flourished despite so many issues that could be solved with an HD release.
I'll be honest, as much as I love Melee, if Nintendo's gonna get Smash into eSports on a larger scale, it'll be with Smash 4.

emb

that's leffen, m2k and armada practicing melee HD before evo top 8
Look like EG shirts. So those 3 guys are probably all just PPMD.

Hopefully the eSports tease means they do plan to throw some support that direction. NoA would be into it at least, but I'm not sure how the people actually in charge feel.

Anth0ny

right? i love how they're trying to sell us this potential... yet we already did it. without their help. with a 15 year old game that's been out of print for years and years.

it's pretty funny.

now give us melee hd already if you want to keep filling stadiums.

Wait, y'all want more than setups and commercial breaks?

Someone tell Reggie.

Melee HD would get them so much money it's not even funny.

There's a reason it now retails used for more than it did new.

xezuru

There's a reason it now retails used for more than it did new.

Yeah, same reason as Metroid Prime collections, it's old as fuck and Nintendo refused to restock it when they had the collection on the current gen hardware even when the demand was insane. I have no faith in these people ever getting the picture. I bet the Switch will have no Ethernet port and have physical battery requirements to top off how fuckin out of touch they are.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, same reason as Metroid Prime collections, it's old as fuck and Nintendo refused to restock it when they had the collection on the current gen hardware even when the demand was insane. I have no faith in these people ever getting the picture. I bet the Switch will have no Ethernet port and have physical battery requirements to top off how fuckin out of touch they are.

Eh, both of those make sense though.

Melee was basically a Gamecube launch title and was produced through even into the early years of the Wii. IIRC retail availability didn't start drying up until Brawl "replaced" it. They couldn't make GC games forever due to the custom discs and cases, and that was a sensible time to cut it off.

And MPT was intended to be a special edition, and it sold like shit initially. People tend to forget, but Trilogy was actually dirt cheap on discount and clearance racks for a while. Then availability dried up and out of nowhere prices skyrocketed. Then we got the Gamestop reprint.

Once it's feasible for Nintendo to release GC games digitally we will probably see a VC re-release. It may have happened on Wii U if it hadn't sold so poorly. At one point there were rumors about a GC virtual console, but they probably decided against putting the effort into that failure of a platform.

Honestly Nintendo's staunch decision to create artificial demand by limiting supply to a set number and rarely re-releasing things is one of my biggest pet peeves with them as a company.

See: Amiibo, the Pokémon Go+, etc.

But hey, I had my Wii for a year and sold it for like cost due to demand, so that was nice.

I now have 4 wiis, all softmodded to load from USB / SD so I have tournament Melee setups.

They got me in the end...

GamerJM

Banned
Honestly Nintendo's staunch decision to create artificial demand by limiting supply to a set number and rarely re-releasing things is one of my biggest pet peeves with them as a company.

The worst thing is you just KNOW the Switch is gonna have this problem, and we have no idea when they'll reveal the launch date and preorders go up. I'm already worrying about it.

Also I get the impression the people at NoA actually wishes Melee HD was a thing but can't design it or anything because they don't have any autonomy (or really a team that could do that). Wouldn't be surprised if their marketing was behind the commercial and they got the idea for the Splatoon stadium from Evo since it looked just like the Evo stadium. And Nintendo's Smash team in Japan won't design Melee HD because they're out of touch with the eSports scene.

Anth0ny

Word of Melee's current popularity has to reach Japan eventually. Maybe through Sakurai himself. He seems pretty savvy, I'm sure he's at least aware of its ongoing popularity.

GamerJM

Banned
Word of Melee's current popularity has to reach Japan eventually. Maybe through Sakurai himself. He seems pretty savvy, I'm sure he's at least aware of its ongoing popularity.

He's written about it in some obscure Japanese article briefly somewhere recently iirc. I don't think Sakurai is too aware of the fact that Melee HD is a wanted thing though (there's a difference between being aware of the existence of the community and being aware that they want a product).

Anth0ny

He's written about it in some obscure Japanese article briefly somewhere recently iirc. I don't think Sakurai is too aware of the fact that Melee HD is a wanted thing though (there's a difference between being aware of the existence of the community and being aware that they want a product).

well clearly this mother fucker ain't reading twitch chat

M E L E E H D K R E Y G A S M

1 Hour left on the Last day of Summit voting
https://smash.gg/tournament/smash-summit-3/voting

Moon, None, and Ice broke 50k, with Wizzrobe trailing at 45k, spirit bombs could destroy anyone at this point.
Also Smash Rap phenomenon is terrible roflll.

Rooting for None as he's like the only Melee player that still plays PM with any level of seriousness.

Even Westballz and Lucky have stopped :(

Smash Rap battles are so cringey. Hell League / Dota / SF songs are so cringey. Anything that isn't stuff like HLGF and remixes of OSTs is cringey.

References in pop culture songs are okay, but the whole nerdcore thing is cringey.

Smash community trying to make playing a children's party game seem like they're fighting turf wars or something.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
My two choices would be n0ne and Ice, but I wouldn't mind seeing Moon in either. Too bad about Prof :(

I like Wizzy a lot as a player but Summit is as much about personality, and based on what I've seen he just doesn't seem like he would be as fun to see at Summit as the other three.

FZZ

Banned
Lol literally everyone accepted I don't give two shits about

Wanted Wizzy, Ice, Moon, Lucky or MikeHaze, MacD, and Professor Pro

xezuru

Final Summit 3 Lineup:

Invites:
[A]Armada
C9Mang0
MVG | FOXMew2King
LiquidHungrybox
PGPlup
TSMLeffen
TempoAxe
CLG.SFAT
WFXShroomed
G2Westballz

Voted In:

HTCMafia
TempoS2J
DNLDuck
CLG.PewPewU
EMGn0ne
The Moon

Personal Opinion/Analysis:
For the invite section, most of these are straight forward, honestly I would've preferred Silent Wolf to come back over Shroomed for this Summit, I feel like he's more expressive both in and out of the game and honestly I feel like Shroomed has kind of stagnated in his results, where as Silent Wolf is still a top contenter with equal or even more of a lack of travel as an issue.

Mafia: Honestly the only recent set I've seen with him was vs Silent Wolf at BH6, Mafia took him to last stock and had decent punishes but honestly he seemed completely lost in neutral against someone who actually knew how to fight Peach and had good conversions but also a lot of panic slop. Didn't really see anything "dope" in that game :(

S2J: 5th at Evo, always has amazing games pretty much the only heavily read based falcon left, although he been to Summit once before, I feel like this is the prime time to set him up for the consistency and mentality he needs cause he right at the cusp of the gods. Personality is more subverted than Lucky in the Norwalk crew, but also has that dichotomy of the silent but cocky mfer.

Duck: Ducks a smart player with great punishes, but honestly I think he gets most his mileage from Samus matchup jank that other players fall into, his mental and knowledge is strong but I really only see him shining in teams, his personality isn't really a huge factor in this but hopefully we see more from it then him falling apart in Mafia like last summit.

PPU: Deserves this spot. Top8 at Evo and Top8 at every major he's been to since. PewFat is the king of teams. Pretty decent sociability, probably have presence on the stream couch along with the SFAT memes, big contender at Mafia. Insanely smart and on the comeup, hopefully he can polish his punishes to be as clean as his pivots to really bring the fire.

The Moon and n0ne: Honestly at this point, I'm "happy enough" these guys got in and it's pretty much weighed by how much people weight representation. While both these guys have been on the come up, other nominations who were eliminated have been goin in way harder in terms of results, but Moon definitely brings the east coast flavor and is another rare read based player, while none brings in Canada and very technical/flashy falcon play.

Others: If you heavily favor performance, then Ice, Lucky, and Wizzrobe have been the ones deepest in the battle against the gods, all having crazy games against them. Lucky is that + personality on the spectrum, seems like Ice is that + analysis, and Wizzrobe is that + 20 minute warmups. Would've loved professor pro because UK representation with a very interesting fox style, he probably would've been great personality for the event as one of the people with the best smash popoffs.

GamerJM

Banned
Really I'm pretty much fine with everyone that got nominated, though I guess I'm a little disappointed at some of the people that did get in. Mafia for obvious reasons, S2J because he already gets phenominal practice and I feel like he won't add that much to Summit that we haven't already seem from the last time he was there, and None because although he's fun to watch I'm in the vast minority that honestly prefers Wizzy from a gameplay perspective.

Pappasman

The moon has always been one of those super fun to watch players so I hope a week in the summit house gets him the experience he needs.

emb

Eclipse is pretty crazy. Ice beating Leffen was mentioned, but also, Kage beat Trifasia, Fuzzyness, and Android. :eek:

xezuru

And Ice beats Leffen 3-1. Feel sorry for the summit voter's poor taste.

I mean, yeah Leffen is a rust monster right now but Ice definitely made him crumble with the pressure last stock. Sending him to losers means we get to see Kage vs Leffen, probably going to be hilarious one way or the other.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
These tournament winners. Ice is losing so many stocks because he's making these edgeguards totally free.

Ice looking good apart from all these awful ledge jumps. He's going to be ridiculously good when he moves to the US and gets more experience in major tournaments.

That combo all over the stage, wow.

xezuru

Yeah, I think it has to do with Ice's mental just on the cusp of letting him be the next to slay the gods. Between the missed ledgedashes and him completely giving up the drill/ waveshining game on Armada, I think his mental comfort and confidence is the difference between Ice playing like game 1 Armada or any match vs his usual double teammate Leffen, and his final games with Armada which honestly he wasn't playing nearly as fast.

emb

Ice eliminates Leffen. :eek:

The end of that match was so scary all around. Leffen basically had it and dropped it.

Top Bottom