• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord’s second free weekend on PS5 sees 8% player drop | Game confirmed to have no Battle Passes

Draugoth

Gold Member

Sony's first live-service game, Concord, had beta issues on PS5​

• On PS5, Concord's first 'Early Access' beta performed 8% better than the second 'Open Beta'
  • The Early Access beta was initially for preorders only but later opened up to all PS Plus subscribers
  • The Open Beta was open to all, but it looks like PS Plus served as a better advertisement for the 5v5 shooter
Using a gameplay data sample from over 3.1 million active PSN accounts (courtesy of our partnership with GameInsights), we can see that Concord has 8.1% fewer players in the second Open Beta than in the Early Access beta. In our PlayStation Chart that ranks the top 40 most popular games every week, Concord ranked in the #29 position both weeks.

While the decrease isn't significant, the drop is still unexpected given that the first beta was initially supposed to be limited to pre-orders only, and the second beta was supposed to be the 'Open Beta' for all players.

“No Battle Pass, folks,” tweeted Firewalk Studios gameplay animation director, Mark DeRidder, today. “You own Concord, Concord doesn’t own you.” The team behind the game also shared a series of slides explaining more about how progression will work in the planet-hopping shooter and what the plans are for post-launch content.

Source

Luipadre

Gold Member
"You own concord"

Speak for yourself buddy

Sassy Tyra Banks GIF

Fbh

Gold Member
Remember guys Concord doesn't own you, you own a limited license to access it under our conditions which you can find in these 40 pages long TOS, and only for as long as the server remain online...which might not be long".

Also wouldn't a free battle pass be more desirable than no battle pass? People playing these games tend to like their carrot on a stick

rm082e

Have they delayed this game yet? If not, do we get the announcement by the end of the week? Seems like no way in hell they can actually launch this thing in a few weeks.

clarky

Gold Member
The game obviously has issues to overcome, but the post-launch strategy reads like something I’d like to see a hell of a lot more of.
What strategy? Because from were i am sitting there isn't one.

Everthing sounds vague as fuck. If they want people to pre order then a post launch road map is essential to make an informed decision.

Game is out in what a month? they should have the next year fully planned out at this point surely?

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
That says that at least 8% of the people who cared enough about the game to preorder it didn't give a shit by the 2nd free weekend. But in reality it's much more because certainly people who didn't preorder the game tried the open beta.

We all know it but this game is dead.

What strategy? Because from were i am sitting there isn't one.

Everthing sounds vague as fuck. If they want people to pre order then a post launch road map is essential to make an informed decision.

Game is out in what a month? they should have the next year fully planned out at this point surely?

Maybe calling it a strategy is a push. But getting continous content updates for the price of entry is appealing as hell. It blows when a game you paid for becomes borderline unplayable down the line due to the need to pay for expansions. I think it was Battlefield 4 that went down that route, and fuck that.

clarky

Gold Member
Maybe calling it a strategy is a push. But getting continous content updates for the price of entry is appealing as hell. It blows when a game you paid for becomes borderline unplayable down the line due to the need to pay for expansions. I think it was Battlefield 4 that went down that route, and fuck that.
Most games don't charge for seasons/ updates these days. That's why we have skins and Battle passes. Its not exactly a new idea.

Destiny does and has BP's and skins on top lol. Cant think of any more, at least none that i play.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Battle-passes are ableist, discriminatory and overall, chud behavior. No wonder those brave developers decided to not include them.
Were they ever confirmed before the betas, or just assumed?

Afaik all that was said prior to the betas was that new freerunners, maps and other content would be free.
And cosmetics would be paid.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Maybe calling it a strategy is a push. But getting continous content updates for the price of entry is appealing as hell.
You’re taking the words of a developer too seriously. They’re not obligated by it. They could easily add battle pass later on. They have no track record and this is just another pathetic attempt.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
With such an obvious failure in their hands, Sony should just cancel this game's launch and try to get a tax write off.
It maxed out at 2300-something players during the free open beta on Steam as well.

They can’t even get people to try it for free. No way in hell they are launching this for $40 next month. Canceling it is the only thing that makes sense

DrFigs

Well the first beta was essentially an open beta, since all you needed was ps plus. But yeah that 8% drop is not good. I know I didn't bother playing the second beta.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Going by the number of players, hardly anyone will own Concord.

How do you have a preorder beta for a small number of gamers less than an open beta available for all online gamers to try?

mitch1971

Gold Member
Guys! guys! guys! The numbers coming in are terrrible. So, for goodness sake put that battlepass back in the draw before anyone sees it.

Hey customers! No battlepass needed for our game!

Killjoy-NL

Going by the number of players, hardly anyone will own Concord.

How do you have a preorder beta for a small number of gamers less than an open
The pre-order beta was available to PS+ members as well though, which is pretty much every multiplayer player on Playstation, so might as well be considered as 2 open beta wknds on Playstation.

And since there barely was any difference between both betas apart from 1 (later 2) gamemodes, it doesn't have to mean much to see a 8% drop.

I don't want to own Concord. Neither the majority of players, as it seems.
These numbers are from data harvested by https://gameinsights.io/ and unlikely to be representative of the general public. The data is self-selecting, as it is only from players who use apps that sell them user data. To top it off, they only used data from 3 million accounts. It’s estimated that there are 120 million active PSN users.

I’m not saying this game will sell well. I’m just saying this particular data and related article are rather meaningless.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

there is someone who is really legitimately stupid at this studio making decisions to purposely make the game burn and fail.

I've said it before but the actual gameplay side as in how the game runs on UE5 on console and PC plus the FP controller and shooting mechanics are all extremely well done, there are talented people over there at firewalk. but my goodness now not even a battlepass, so literally no reason for you to own the game other than to play a match or two. There's an actual real-life idiot behind the scenes here

Just before anyone starts thinking it was 3.1 million Concord players: it wasn't.

The wording is very odd, but basically the website has a database of 3.1 million PSN accounts registered to it that they use to poll for their gaming data. Some number of that (not specified) played Concord. Out of that percentage, there was an 8% drop week-over-week between the Closed and Open Beta.

It's very possible that there could've been 50K - 100K PS5 players in the Concord betas, but I do personally find that hard to believe. FWIW, Steam has a sampling size of 130+ million and we know what the numbers are there for Concord. Just statistically speaking, it's hard for a sampling size over 40x smaller to have provided a player base 50x larger for a single game...though it's not impossible...

lmimmfn

Sony's first live-service game, Concord, had beta issues on PS5​

• On PS5, Concord's first 'Early Access' beta performed 8% better than the second 'Open Beta'
  • The Early Access beta was initially for preorders only but later opened up to all PS Plus subscribers
  • The Open Beta was open to all, but it looks like PS Plus served as a better advertisement for the 5v5 shooter

Source

The rainbow is perfect, at least they're advertising it as completely woke. However surely they're showing bigotry that trans aren't represented in that background?

Top Bottom