• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord - Reviews Thread (PS5/PC)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Since this is a live service game, reviews might be slow.

Will update this in batches as more appear.

---

Game Information

Game Title: Concord

Platforms:
  • PC (Aug 23, 2024)
  • PlayStation 5 (Aug 23, 2024)
Trailer:
Developer: Firewalk Studios

Publisher: PlayStation Publishing LLC

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 65 average
Metacritic - 63 average

zHRfF1E.png

T3Z545E.png

Critic Reviews

CGMagazine - Jordan Biordi - 6.5 / 10
Concord has a few interesting ideas, but its live service trappings, lacklustre game design and mediocre level design keep it from being truly great.

Game Rant - Dalton Cooper - 3.5 / 5
Those wanting to roll the dice on Concord will find an excellent FPS full of exciting abilities, intense battles, and eye-popping visuals. The game's character designs, premium price point, and general lack of interest from the public may make it so Concord never really gets a chance, and so potential consumers need to weigh the risks of investing [money] on a game that may be dead before too long.

Alparslan Gürlek - 5/10
Concord disappointed me as a service game sold at almost full price despite the lack of originality in the gameplay.

Jeuxvideo.com - 8/10
At the risk of disappointing its detractors, Concord is a very good hero shooter that could very well overshadow the big names in the genre, if a community of players takes it that far. Firewalk's service game is based on solid arguments: great shooting sensations, 16 varied and perfectly oiled heroes, impeccable technique and artistic

Multiplayer.it - 6/10
As it stands, however, it is a project that puts the long testing phase it desperately needs behind the payment of an entrance fee, among other things in an undergrowth in which the competition has adopted the free-to-play model for years, running the risk of generating a fall from which it seems difficult to recover.

Hobby Consolas - David Rodriguez - Spanish - 72 / 100
Concord presents great gameplay as a first-person shooter while taking us back to simpler times with a traditional, albeit sparse, progression system. Unfortunately, his lack of personality means that he fails to capture the attention he should deserve in a genre where there are already too many games.

Digital Trends - Giovanni Colantonio - 3 / 5
Concord isn’t a poor multiplayer offering by any means. It has fun hero-shooter bones, an eclectic cast of characters with distinct strategies, and rich world-building that’s set to dribble out consistently over time. It’s just that Firewalk Studios’ debut lacks original ideas that elevate that promising foundation. The result is a perfectly fine, though imbalanced, live service shooter that doesn’t feel long for this universe.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I liked the beta. I have not purchased it yet, but i think i will jump in, in the coming days.

Also the game is pretty much polished. Hopefully they have something in the works with this genre for a full singleplayer experience.

Last edited:

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
Reviews don't really matter for a GaaS, but knowing how much importance Sony gives to media bullshitters, this is a spit in their face. There's no redemption arc for this one.

Fabieter

Oh boy! I already hated it when we first saw it. Still tried the beta as open minded as I could but there was no way I would be buying this. What were they thinking?

8 years for this?
Yes sony this is better than making bloodborne remaster /s

8 years for one of the best selling games this year, Helldivers 2

you win some, you lose some. hopefully sony learns their lesson here

I remember Layden once said "first, or best" in regard to their first party. I didn't like him as a sony executive, but that phrase is correct. Concord is neither first nor best. Helldivers is first in a lot of ways, and also best in a lot of ways.

MiguelItUp

Yuuuuup, landing pretty much where I figured. It's a "fine" game. FINE. Nothing more, nothing less. But when comparing to other games in the same market, especially F2P ones, it's awful. There's literally no reason why people should check this out over all the other F2P games out there, and the new ones coming out. Especially when they have more original mechanics, and just do things better. All while being free, lmao.

I just have no idea how someone on the team didn't properly look at the competition that's out there and coming. If they did, they certainly didn't look enough. An entire team worked on this, for 8 years, and no one saw any red flags? Were red flags mentioned and other higher folks on the team just ignored them? Probably. I feel like that happens way too often, lord knows I've had my own experiences in studios where the entire QA team has feedback sessions and said not to do "XYZ", but then they're ignored and still do "XYZ". Therefore leading to the project's downfall. Which is insane to me because in almost every situation, QA plays your game more than anyone else at the studio, and likely games outside the studio more than anyone else there. You can't make everyone happy, but you can try to take all the feedback and meet in the middle. The more QA the better.

This just makes no sense. 8 years, and you felt charging $40 was a good call to make? I just don't get any of it.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

I like this one, very informative since they explain how to get a refund at the end of the review. :goog_relieved:

8 years for one of the best selling games this year, Helldivers 2

you win some, you lose some. hopefully sony learns their lesson here

I remember Layden once said "first, or best" in regard to their first party. I didn't like him as a sony executive, but that phrase is correct. Concord is neither first nor best. Helldivers is first in a lot of ways, and also best in a lot of ways.
I just feel like they had to have known prior to unveiling it that it didn't have much going for it. The game is extremely generic, seemingly on purpose, and overall lacking in anything that would draw in either the looter shooter, live-service audience, as well as single-player audience looking for deep cinematic storytelling, crafted level design, or exploration. It just has none of those things. It's like a bad product that came out of a board room meeting about how to make money using only data & trends as your guide.

I do honestly wonder if it began as a single-player game with guns. and over time, new Sony managers came in at the top, and made them pivot to this absolute nothing of a game. Which would also explain why this is all they have to show after 8 years in development.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Yuuuuup, landing pretty much where I figured. It's a "fine" game. FINE. Nothing more, nothing less. But when comparing to other games in the same market, especially F2P ones, it's awful. There's literally no reason why people should check this out over all the other F2P games out there, and the new ones coming out. Especially when they have more original mechanics, and just do things better. All while being free, lmao.

I just have no idea how someone on the team didn't properly look at the competition that's out there and coming. If they did, they certainly didn't look enough. An entire team worked on this, for 8 years, and no one saw any red flags? Were red flags mentioned and other higher folks on the team just ignored them? Probably. I feel like that happens way too often, lord knows I've had my own experiences in studios where the entire QA team has feedback sessions and said not to do "XYZ", but then they're ignored and still do "XYZ". Therefore leading to the project's downfall. Which is insane to me because in almost every situation, QA plays your game more than anyone else at the studio, and likely games outside the studio more than anyone else there. You can't make everyone happy, but you can try to take all the feedback and meet in the middle. The more QA the better.

This just makes no sense. 8 years, and you felt charging $40 was a good call to make? I just don't get any of it.
didn’t Sony buy this studio for $100M-$200M?

They probably dragged the development out as long as possible because they knew they were fucked as soon as it released.

They probably dragged the development out as long as possible because they knew they were fucked as soon as it released.
More likely, the longer it was in development, the more it changed from what it originally was, into this end result of a complete disaster of a game.

MiguelItUp

Yeah, I think that's the number I heard/read, or at least around there. I think I saw $150-$200? It's fucking flabbergasting.

Yeah, very likely. They may have had positive thoughts at one point, and then it just fell to the way side and the decide to roll with it. Especially after cancelling a number of other live service projects.

I just feel like they had to have known prior to unveiling it that it didn't have much going for it. The game is extremely generic, seemingly on purpose, and overall lacking in anything that would draw in either the looter shooter, live-service audience, as well as single-player audience looking for deep cinematic storytelling, crafted level design, or exploration. It just has none of those things. It's like a bad product that came out of a board room meeting about how to make money using only data & trends as your guide.

I do honestly wonder if it began as a single-player game with guns. and over time, new Sony managers came in at the top, and made them pivot to this absolute nothing of a game. Which would also explain why this is all they have to show after 8 years in development.

To be fair, most of the successful games in this space look extremely generic.

Yeah, I think that's the number I heard/read, or at least around there. I think I saw $150-$200? It's fucking flabbergasting.

Yeah, very likely. They may have had positive thoughts at one point, and then it just fell to the way side and the decide to roll with it. Especially after cancelling a number of other live service projects.

100-200M? Where is the evidence of this? That's just a wild ass guess. I am doubtful, given the studio has ZERO proven IP.

Top Bottom