• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles screenshots thread (PS4/Xbone/WiiU) [Up: Thread rules in OP]

Timu

Correct 100% but that still doesn't solve my question?

How come when i take pic's of Infamous SS and convert them from BMP to JPEG (100% quality) they look just fine, BUT when i take pic's from Ryse, and do the same exact thing, they are totally opposite?
I blame Ryse on that.

phanphare

Banned
wiiu_screenshot_tv_01nussa.jpg

looks like Ed from the Lion King haha

That JPEG screen is at 100% because it's over 1MB, anything less than 100% and it'll have compression.

I don't think it's 100%. Visible compression in the sky on the jpeg (very minor).

And R8TEDM3, I think your problem might be the colour profiles on your PC. (Although it doesn't explain why only one game has a problem).

If (on Windows 7) you go to the system32 folder, then spool, then drivers, then colour, you can see if there are custom profiles in there.

I had a similar problem recently when Windows update found a monitor driver and added a new profile without me knowing. The colours were crap on my screenshots, so I deleted the monitor branded profile and it fixed it (just be sure to backup anything you delete when testing this).

R8TEDM3

I don't think it's 100%. Visible compression in the sky on the jpeg (very minor).

And R8TEDM3, I think your problem might be the colour profiles on your PC. (Although it doesn't explain why only one game has a problem).

If (on Windows 7) you go to the system32 folder, then spool, then drivers, then colour, you can see if there are custom profiles in there.

I had a similar problem recently when Windows update found a monitor driver and added a new profile without me knowing. The colours were crap on my screenshots, so I deleted the monitor branded profile and it fixed it (just be sure to backup anything you delete when testing this).

I'm on Windows 8 and there's no problems with colors at all, it's just the blur! Also i just checked for any custom profiles, and there were none!

I'm gonna try taking pic's with Dxtory or MSI Afterburner to see if that makes any difference? Oh, and btw there is compression on the JPEG once uploaded to Flickr. When i compared them on my PC before, there were none...it must have happened while uploading! PNG from now on i guess!

Thnx for the tip though Phreakuency...cheers!

R8TEDM3

Unless I've missed it, can you upload an uncompressed shot of Ryse and also the converted jpeg so we can see the difference? Maybe it's just Ryse ;)

Ok, here we go>>>

PNG

13550196533_91af4b6195_o.png

JPEG @ 100% quality

13550097105_1ed77e97b5_o.jpg

Also, if anyone can compare their shot with mine it would be great, it was taken at the beginning of chapter IV, just left of the waterfall!

Could something be wrong with my game maybe? If it helps it a downloaded copy, so maybe it's compressed more???

chadboban

I absolutely love this game, will be playing it a lot and I am sure I will come back to it from time to time.

I am in the end of World 4, but I returned to 1-1 and 1-2 for speed runs, manage to get golds. It is tough but a lot of fun.

I need to get Pikmin 3 and W101.

I love this game too man, would definitely say it's one of the greatest 2-D platformers I've ever played. Also it's soundtrack has quickly become one of my all time favorites. Seriously incredible work from David Wise!

Timu

Ok, here we go>>>

PNG

13550196533_91af4b6195_o.png

JPEG @ 100% quality

13550097105_1ed77e97b5_o.jpg

Also, if anyone can compare their shot with mine it would be great, it was taken at the beginning of chapter IV, just left of the waterfall!

Could something be wrong with my game maybe? If it helps it a downloaded copy, so maybe it's compressed more???
Here's my shot for comparison:

iXeHsSeev8JWd.png

It's just Ryse being Ryse.=O

Just make sure your capture device is on default settings.

Ok, here we go>>>

PNG

I'm not seeing a difference? Whether your monitor is showing your jpeg version differently, I'm not sure but it those two look pretty much identical.

The game itself isn't 1080p and also has some pretty bad blacks. Are you sure you aren't just comparing your images to the hi-res cutscene shots that were released?

R8TEDM3

Here's my shot for comparison:

iXeHsSeev8JWd.png

It's just Ryse being Ryse.=O

Just make sure your capture device is on default settings.

Well that makes me fell better, thnx Timu!

I'm not seeing a difference? Whether your monitor is showing your jpeg version differently, I'm not sure but it those two look pretty much identical.

The game itself isn't 1080p and also has some pretty bad blacks. Are you sure you aren't just comparing your images to the hi-res cutscene shots that were released?

No mate, i was comparing my pic's to other Ryse photos here, but one thing i noticed just now! As i took 10-11 shots of a same pic in a row, some images were more blurred than the others!

Which leads me to believe that it's the motion blur that does the blurring, even though the character just stands there, he is still breathing, and slowly moving from left to right!

As Timu mentioned, BMP's are the best quality! Here's one in PNG and other is JPEG...to my eyes there is no degradation in pic quality!

PNG

13549373833_c4487455f3_o.png

JPEG

13549639354_cc42dd7ccc_o.jpg

There is clear degradation...you really can't see the compression artifiacts? It's pretty noticeable in the clouds, especially the upper left area. Not trying to be a snob or anything, the shots look good. I'm just surprised you notice no difference.

Also BMP is a lossless format so the issue isn't going to be with the BMP format. Or more specifically in your case the issue is directly related to Ryse itself.

That JPEG screen is at 100% because it's over 1MB, anything less than 100% and it'll have compression.

JPEG will always have compression because jPEG is a lossy format. 100% still has compression just less than well anything below it percent wise.

He's judging a game by a couple of screens and if he in addition to that thinks it looks like last-gen Forza, well he clearly has never touched the game. And for your info I own both the PS4 and Xbone.
Isn't that what we all are doing in this thread? As subjective as these things are do you think it was productive to go down the fanboy route with him? Sometimes it's best to let it go rather than speculate about consoles played on and what not.

R8TEDM3

There is clear degradation...you really can't see the compression artifiacts? It's pretty noticeable in the clouds, especially the upper left area. Not trying to be a snob or anything, the shots look good. I'm just surprised you notice no difference.

I didn't notice it when i was comparing the pic's on my PC, honestly they were 100% identical!

Degradation must have happened when i uploaded the images to Flickr!

GavinUK86

I didn't notice it when i was comparing the pic's on my PC, honestly they were 100% identical!

Degradation must have happened when i uploaded the images to Flickr!

Flickr doesn't apply any compression to images. (as far as I'm aware). Some people tend to notice things others don't, that's all. I can also notice the difference with the clouds.

It'll look washed out.=O

Oh you both have it set to full i would guess. Doesn't the xbox one have some gamma/contrast issue when set to full? IIRC dark10x said that it still shows this error. Even limited shows some errors, but is much more accurate than full(only xbox one has this problem.)

The pictures you sent me show this. The second shot is clipping that sun logo and some lower black levels. You should be able to see all the gradients even below black, then just change the brightness until it's at the line.

Open up control panel and search "calibrate" then click calibrate display color and get to the step with the gamma controls. Put the gamma all the way up and you will see that full clips the bottom gradients. When you put it all the way down, the sun logo still does not appear.

i35NlmfzlfnZ0.png

ibzTKorHIbVVsX.png

Does your monitor support limited rgb Timu?

Edit: Also i am viewing this from my laptop so native (0-255) and limited rgb is washed out (as it should be) and you could see all the steps and the little sun logo.

Nope, just full. Example:

Limited
iY2pww5PmCwCt.png

Full
if7Z1AgfOe7ft.png

ohh in that case, better to leave it on full then or else the picture will look too washed out because of the inaccurate conversion. You will just be clipping those values i mentioned but it's not a big deal for most.

Timu

ohh in that case, better to leave it on full then or else the picture will look too washed out because of the inaccurate conversion. You will just be clipping those values i mentioned but it's not a big deal for most.
True, but I can do limited for Killer Instinct because that game has the worst crushed blacks I've seen in any game to date.

Goddamn it Facebook, they looked much cleaner on my PS4.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t1.0-9/1012903_450056075126179_1432988953_n.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1379711_450152985116488_208598421_n.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1901429_450153388449781_32955512_n.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Looked cleaner? Those screens look amazing as is.

Kuro

Should I have my PS4 settings for RGB Range to automatic or full? I have a Panny Plasma for reference.

I have a Panasonic too and I use full although the deep blacks makes it hard to see in dark areas in Infamous. Its not black crush though. Other games look fine.

ButchCat

Looked cleaner? Those screens look amazing as is.

For a port they did a good job but FB's shitty compression feels like it added a muddy filter, you can see in the middle one.

How do you select different outfits? How many are there? Are they all unlock from the start?
You can change your outfits the moment you settle in a campfire, you should find it under Gear. They are more than half a dozen I would say and yes they are all unlocked from the get go.

For a port they did a good job but FB's shitty compression feels like it added a muddy filter, you can see in the middle one.

You can change your outfits the moment you settle in a campfire, you should find it under Gear.

Thanks, how many are there? I don't remember any when I played it last year on 360

GavinUK86

Nah, Twitter is worse.

I found Facebook to be a lot worse. Not that it matters. They both ruin screenshots.

Have you got access to the PS App and a second PSN account? You can get much better quality images from a fairly long-winded way.

ButchCat

I found Facebook to be a lot worse. Not that it matters. They both ruin screenshots.

Have you got access to the PS App and a second PSN account? You can get much better quality images from a fairly long-winded way.
I do, what do you suggest? As long as it's no more of hustle than putting them on a USB stick.

Thanks, how many are there? I don't remember any when I played it last year on 360
Like I said half a dozen, all unlocked from the start,

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

They were DLC. Tomb Raider: DE has all the DLC on disc.

Can someone confirm which site is best for uploading Wii U pics to?
I'm using Imgur but someone said it compresses the pictures. What is everyone else using? Abload? Flickr?

Top Bottom