• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles screenshots thread (PS4/Xbone/WiiU) [Up: Thread rules in OP]

Caayn

Timu

The functionality is built in, no additional hardware needed.
It's explained here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688391
Only goes up to 720p though, Nintendo should made it go up to 1080p.

Crimson Dragon, pretty fun game.
Sometimes it's fun but has nothing on the older Panzer Dragoon games.

If you don't mind me asking how do you uncompress ps4 screenshots??
Those aren't uncompressed, they're under 1MB and have been confirmed to not even have 100% quality, up to 92% by a user here.

First person Infamous. Incredible lighting. Going to be a great generation!

iFVoEJ5nNNwO1.jpg

That's real good. Most of the Infamous shots I've seen make the world seem so empty and lacking in character, this is the exact opposite of that. Great detail and lighting.

Can't they patch that in? I'm sure there is some room for that on the PS4 with this game.

The PC version doesn't have AA options either. Only way to get AA is to mod the config file. This enables MSAA x2 all the way upto x16. I doubt whether the PS4 has enough headroom for MSAA and I am quite sure that the archaic engine that is idtech5 does not support SMAA or any other modern post-processing AA technique.

Some early Wolfenstein shots. Still uploading through the share button cause I'm OG. It's not a looker, but the art direction is solid at points.

10286977_141429640884jxszu.jpg

10387184_141429622884r6uba.jpg

10321726_14142961521882owj.jpg

Tnecniv

Neo Member
First person Infamous. Incredible lighting. Going to be a great generation!

iFVoEJ5nNNwO1.jpg

That's real good. Most of the Infamous shots I've seen make the world seem so empty and lacking in character, this is the exact opposite of that. Great detail and lighting.
Agreed. Great shot.

Have a few more of my own to share:

inFAMOUS Second Son™_20140520134855 by vincentric, on Flickr
inFAMOUS Second Son™_20140520151012 by vincentric, on Flickr
inFAMOUS Second Son™_20140520152333 by vincentric, on Flickr

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Wolfenstein is beautiful. I think it's getting unfairly crapped on because it's on an aging engine. One of the best looking Unreal Engine 3 games to date.

I know the Private Oasis location is featured a lot in these pictures, but I really love the way it looks. The daytime is incredibly bright, but I personally like it. And the sunsets are just gorgeous. The way those flowers sway in the wind is pretty fantastic.

14038741779_d615a9e57f_o.jpg

14222117471_d8525c41b8_o.jpg

14222122881_45a66cf0f0_o.jpg

PMS341

Love seeing these various shots. I truly do hope video game photography picks up this gen.

I've got a bunch of Infamous shots from Photo Mode I uploaded to show a friend earlier, here is the album: http://imgur.com/a/Bw1b5 Potential spoilers for later powers, I suppose.

Some select shots from it (uncompressed):

arSXazb.jpg

OurwQQX.jpg

mQzDCsb.jpg

BONKERS

I wouldn't worry about how Mario Kart 8 will look while actually playing. It seems to be a similar situation to TW101, which too, looks like a jaggy mess in stills, but so gorgeous in motion(lol, I gave up trying to capture decent shots of that game).

Also, Killer Instinct been looking pretty good in shots lately. I remember it, too, looking like a mess early on in this thread. What happened, firmware updates to XB1 screen-shot feature, or just good capture card? :/

Pretty much, any, console game is a "jaggy mess" in stills.

No one designs console hardware with enough of a power envelope that will allow a powerful enough GPU for good HQ hardware based AA> Everything is shader/software based these days.

You'll be lucky to see more of SMAA T2x as a minimum. (Which it should be for every single PS4/XBO title. It should barely cost any more per frame than FXAA or SMAA 1x). (Kind of like how 16xAF should be bare minimum and have no performance cost at all on any kind of modern hardware)

SMAA T2x really isn't the best quality AA, but for the cost on consoles it should be a no brainer. SMAA 4x + CLEAN mapping for specular would really the be ideal solution for consoles that every game should be designed around.

But alas, one can only dream.

Tnecniv

Neo Member
Those aren't uncompressed, they're under 1MB and have been confirmed to not even have 100% quality, up to 92% by a user here.
This is technically true. The files on PS4 are lossy jpg. I wonder if we'll get the ability to choose 100% jpg, or png in a future firmware update?

Uploading from USB though is a big improvement over previous Facebook method. The extra layer of compression when uploading to FB was truly terrible.

Love seeing these various shots. I truly do hope video game photography picks up this gen.

I've got a bunch of Infamous shots from Photo Mode I uploaded to show a friend earlier, here is the album: http://imgur.com/a/Bw1b5 Potential spoilers for later powers, I suppose.

arSXazb.jpg

OurwQQX.jpg

mQzDCsb.jpg
Beautiful. Great composition.

chadboban

I know the Private Oasis location is featured a lot in these pictures, but I really love the way it looks. The daytime is incredibly bright, but I personally like it. And the sunsets are just gorgeous. The way those flowers sway in the wind is pretty fantastic.

For some reason, I love how his eyes are in a different position in every pic.

Mory Dunz

Sheesh.
Can't wait for the Day/Night cycles in X and Zelda U.

Can't wait for the Day/Night cycles in pretty much any upcoming artistic game game.

10259190_141429636218sgspw.jpg

Gotta love idle animations.

10317560_141433057884b4k0f.jpg

id Tech has got to go. Of course the game being cross gen doesn't help matters, but I know they're capable of more. It runs pretty smoothly at least.

Pretty much, any, console game is a "jaggy mess" in stills.
This isn't really true anymore. Just look at the last 4 or 5 pages in this thread, and you'll see that Final Fantasy XIV, Tomb Raider, AC IV, Killzone, and especially Infamous have pretty impeccable IQ on PS4. (There's fewer Xbox captures, but Kinect Sports Rivals is very nice, and Ryse is about as far from jaggy as a game can get.) Even cross-platform or lower-budget games can have decent AA now--Amazing Spiderman 2 has quite clean edges in this thread's captures. Nowadays, many games' graphical weaknesses are in other areas.

That's not to say all games have great AA--Wolfenstein evidently has none, Bound By Flame appears to rely on high resolution rather than a strong AA solution, from my playthrough Contrast was very jaggy, etc. etc. But your generalization is far less accurate than it would've been in the past.

Votron

Ahhh-mazing

lol you guys keep telling yourselves Mario Kart isn't a jagged mess.

If it makes you feel better about spending money then so be it, lie to yourself, but if I buy something and it looks shit, I'll admit it.

This isn't really true anymore. Just look at the last 4 or 5 pages in this thread, and you'll see that Final Fantasy XIV, Tomb Raider, AC IV, Killzone, and especially Infamous have pretty impeccable IQ on PS4. (There's fewer Xbox captures, but Kinect Sports Rivals is very nice, and Ryse is about as far from jaggy as a game can get.) Even cross-platform or lower-budget games can have decent AA now--Amazing Spiderman 2 has quite clean edges in this thread's captures. Nowadays, many games' graphical weaknesses are in other areas.

That's not to say all games have great AA--Wolfenstein evidently has none, Bound By Flame appears to rely on high resolution rather than a strong AA solution, from my playthrough Contrast was very jaggy, etc. etc. But your generalization is far less accurate than it would've been in the past.

Contrast was horrible. I just loaded it up on Steam in the wishlist to nowhere. I can't believe they cannot get something going for the game. Some developers are in fact pretty lazy imo.

Better AA in games is needed all around. I can't go lower than what Infamous and KZ have done for consoles tbh. On PC I use Sparse Grid for pretty much everything unless just normal SS if at all possible. You just start to be bothered by that kind of thing when you get past it finally. I don't want to go back. And yes it will keep me from playing a game now and then oh well. I saved Last of Us this long.

arSXazb.jpg

OurwQQX.jpg

mQzDCsb.jpg

Your images are 200k; they are significantly compressed lol - still good shots though.

FFXIV PS4, and a shot of a guy losing his face in AC4:

ibvlBBaa2WXkWf.jpg

ib23QFhXS4u5XJ.jpg

i7M6KVYlvxqMC.jpg

chadboban

lol you guys keep telling yourselves Mario Kart isn't a jagged mess.

If it makes you feel better about spending money then so be it, lie to yourself, but if I buy something and it looks shit, I'll admit it.

What the hell? Most people simply asked for you to show some kind of proof that Nintendo used bullshots for MK8. You said to look at screens on Nintendo's website, we did, and they are still very much aliased.

I have absolutely 0 problems with people saying that the game looks bad. It does indeed have quite a bit of aliasing. But if you make a claim that Nintendo used bullshots to promote the game then show absolutely nothing to back that up, then proceed give us a source that doesn't prove a thing, that's where I, and most other people who called you out, take issue.

Your comment comes off as very immature. Telling people who, once again, only had a problem with you saying bullshots were used to promote the game that "if it makes you feel better about spending money, so be it, lie to yourselves". Seriously man? People barely told you anything defending the way the game looks in screenshots and if they did then they really need to learn how opinions work and that not everyone is gonna be okay with the aliasing.

"If it makes you feel better" geez, seeing stuff like this makes me wonder what this thread has come to.

The textures + AA aren't impressive, but the use of colors is good. You can even see color timing change as you enter different sections which I've always been a fan of. Gives each area a very distinct feel.

10275603_141465773214w1jsm.jpg

1507438_1414657775480ctu32.jpg

10265416_141433128551l9sji.jpg

Timu

Why do all Wolfenstein: The New Order shots look compressed? Is it the game itself?
This is technically true. The files on PS4 are lossy jpg. I wonder if we'll get the ability to choose 100% jpg, or png in a future firmware update?
Probably won't.

My first next-gen shots, from AC IV (yeah, I know I'm behind the curve here). First, cutscene shots showing what the high-quality character models look like:
EUK1gq0.jpg

vR7fYsw.jpg

24BJW99.jpg

VanWinkle

Transistor feels like a AAA game. It's amazing. If it was like 3x as long, it probably could be. The presentation, soundtrack, visuals, and attention to detail is there. I mean, look at all the detail in those shots. It blows me away.

Another set of cutscene characters. You can see the polygon limits, and the lack of SSS makes the skin not as good as it might be. But the clothing textures are really great.
CpnE4R5.jpg

PHCFP7X.jpg

hZS18UP.jpg

Hey, someone else had the same idea! Nice shots, Trevelyan9999 (like the little dolphin in the second one).

Now I'll post some shots I've taken myself during gameplay. Figured I'd start with the contemporary framing story, since shots of that seem more rare. It seems a little less detail went into creating that world, but that's okay since you see it much less often. It's got a very stylish moderne vibe (even if the AO is cranked a little high).
G05hlVO.jpg

s3dKZhy.jpg

k0xg3KZ.jpg

Top Bottom