• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles screenshots thread (PS4/Xbone/WiiU) [Up: Thread rules in OP]

cakefoo

Sure, for those with difficulty to read. The thread title is rather self-explanatory i believe. Surely you don't have difficulties to read? Next-gen. And if that wasn't quite clear, it even states which platforms. Go figure.
Or just go.
This is a thread to observe the graphics of the newest platform from each console manufacturer. But why is it not ok to have a thread for those who want to move on from the Wii U/PS3/360 tier visuals?

Riki

This is a thread to observe the graphics of the newest platform from each console manufacturer. But why is it not ok to have a thread for those who want to move on from the Wii U/PS3/360 tier visuals?

Two reasons:
1. Anyone who's eyes "bleed" from seeing WiiU screens really should get a new hobby.
2. PS4 and XBox One screenshots are basically shit (or non existent) right now unless you have specialized equipment. So that thread would be dead.

vAwbWj0gbcFy

QWNpwAV2QNu1

zT3aPIZcqYn9

cakefoo

Two reasons:
1. Anyone who's eyes "bleed" from seeing WiiU screens really should get a new hobby.
2. PS4 and XBox One screenshots are basically shit (or non existent) right now unless you have specialized equipment. So that thread would be dead.
Well well... look whose eyes are bleeding.

Riki

Well well... look whose eyes are bleeding.
Please, learn to read properly.
That has nothing to do with the games themselves and everything to do with Sony and Microsoft completely screwing up here.
Sony only allows you to upload to FaceBook and Twitter, which horribly compress images.
Microsoft doesn't even allow screenshots.

So only people with capture cards can get anything resembling decent screen grabs, and even then it's not the best.
Until they allow framebuffer grabs like Nintendo, it's not even fair.

Jac_Solar

It is next gen, don't be an idiot, its the next GENERATION of Nintendo consoles

EDIT: anybody mind telling me how to screenshot on the wiiu? i honestly didn't even know it could! ill post some screens later!

I think the next-gen confusion is due to the fact that next-gen console used to mean a console that was better than all the previous consoles released; an upgrade in graphic capability. A next-gen of Nintendo consoles is manufacturer specific and doesn't fall in line with the general definition of next-gen -- if the Ouya manufacturers released an Ouya console with slightly improved stats, that might make it their next-gen of consoles, but it wouldn't be a next-gen console in the general definition.

Not that it matters, since only the games matter, though.

cakefoo

Please, learn to read properly.
That has nothing to do with the games themselves and everything to do with Sony and Microsoft completely screwing up here.
Sony only allows you to upload to FaceBook and Twitter, which horribly compress images.
Microsoft doesn't even allow screenshots.

So only people with capture cards can get anything resembling decent screen grabs, and even then it's not the best.
Until they allow framebuffer grabs like Nintendo, it's not even fair.
I've read properly. I'm just baffled you can call people out for hating aliasing and with a straight face express how much you hate jpeg compression that others don't notice unless they really look for it.

X-Factor

Finished Shadowfall and delved into a bit of online multiplayer.
For multiplayer at least, CoD and BF4 are more enjoyable than KZ Shadowfall.
I have not finished the single player campaigns for either of the other two yet.

wk9i.jpg

w392.jpg

0m9k.jpg

h6wb.jpg

i0zl.jpg

fnw2.jpg

faxn.jpg

Riki

I've read properly. I'm just baffled you can call people out for hating aliasing and with a straight face express how much you hate jpeg compression that others don't notice unless they really look for it.

There is little, if any, aliasing in Mario or Zelda (And really, only W101 suffers from heavy aliasing in this thread in some screens). And not all XBox One or PS4 games are exactly free of aliasing.
Meanwhile, compression quite clearly ruins pictures and is very noticeable even to a casual viewer.

I'll get a lot more soon.

Thanks!

cakefoo

There is little, if any, aliasing in Mario or Zelda. And not all XBox One or PS4 games are exactly free of aliasing.
Meanwhile, compression quite clearly ruins pictures and is very noticeable even to a casual viewer.
In response to your statement about Mario and Zelda, that is simply not true. Upscaled to 1920x1080, both games have pretty bad aliasing. Shrunk down to their 1:1 pixel scale on a monitor does them a favor.

In response to your statement about compression, it still looks miles better than anything on Wii U. Still visible are the huge improvements in geometry, lighting, textures, resolution etc.

jet1911

Finished Shadowfall and delved into a bit of online multiplayer.
For multiplayer at least, CoD and BF4 are more enjoyable than KZ Shadowfall.
I have not finished the single player campaigns for either of the other two yet.

3 screens per post!

But look at that thing on his left. That's a PS1 texture. I really don't think AC is a nice looking game.

For a cross gen game it looks alright. I can find you some crappy textures in Killzone if you want. :p

ozfunghi

They can do so in this thread. I don't see the problem. Are you and others somehow "offended" by the presence of WiiU screenshots in this topic? Why would you want to make a second topic with basically the same intention, except excluding the WiiU screenshots. Does its presence somehow tarnish the XBO/PS4 screenshots?

But look at that thing on his left. That's a PS1 texture. I really don't think AC is a nice looking game.
You would never notice that unless you put your character right up against the wall like I did and turned the camera around so that's right smack zoomed in your face.

Playing normally wouldn't even bring that to light.

Honey Bunny

It was the crappy hair that drew my attention. Inconsistencies like that are part of the magical and unique cross-gen game experience.

If anyone has more NFS PS4 shots of cars with condensation on them, please share @_@

In response to your statement about Mario and Zelda, that is simply not true. Upscaled to 1920x1080, both games have pretty bad aliasing. Shrunk down to their 1:1 pixel scale on a monitor does them a favor.

In response to your statement about compression, it still looks miles better than anything on Wii U. Still visible are the huge improvements in geometry, lighting, textures, resolution etc.

Zelda is 1080 native.

3DWorld upscaled I'd have to say you're probably right on. I can see some pretty bad aliasing in the native 720 shots earlier in the thread. Some of the smoke clouds even have stairs to step on.

But I have to disagree about that miles better than line. Huge improvements making less and less of a difference. We can all look at AC4 on the PS4 and see improvements. And some of those KillZone SF shots are just spectacular. Almost like concept art. But the differences between are meaning less and less. A well designed WiiU game is still stunning in the face of better rendering tech.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
881978_1378656389048506_1929162189_o.jpg

1398166_1378656725715139_519938213_o.jpg

1400455_1378657005715111_1230798702_o.jpg

I'm trying to take some better screens. I really like it but I'm kind of bad at capturing good moments. I have some Knack and a few BF4 coming, although the heavy motion blur messed up a few of my BF4 shots. Please feel free to leave any comments/suggestions/recommendations for my shots. I want to improve.

cakefoo

They can do so in this thread. I don't see the problem. Are you and others somehow "offended" by the presence of WiiU screenshots in this topic? Why would you want to make a second topic with basically the same intention, except excluding the WiiU screenshots. Does its presence somehow tarnish the XBO/PS4 screenshots?
This is about graphics whoring, plain and simple. Two new consoles are out and they're producing graphics never seen on a console before. That in itself is worth its own thread. It has nothing to do with hating the Wii U- we'd be excluding Sony and MS's previous gen consoles as well so it's not some company bias, it's just a performance benchmark prerequisite.

ozfunghi

This is about graphics whoring, plain and simple. Two new consoles are out and they're producing graphics never seen on a console before. That in itself is worth its own thread. It has nothing to do with hating the Wii U- we'd be excluding Sony and MS's previous gen consoles as well so it's not some company bias, it's just a performance benchmark prerequisite.

Well, and now you have the underpowered WiiU as a reference benchmark to show how superior the other two consoles are. You might also find some nice screenshots posted along the way... even for WiiU games. I also don't see what "excluding" the PS360 has to do with this. They are the previous generation, and they have their successors. Just like the Wii has its successor in the WiiU.

And i'm sure that once MS and Sony fix their broken/nonexistent screenshot features, you will see many more mindblowing "next-gen graphics" here without the need to feel annoyed by WiiU screenshots, which are now dictating the thread... simply because it has more games, a larger userbase and mainly, a decent screenshot feature. Some might actually call that... next-gen.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

We might as well just condense everything here. We can get some good cross platform comparisons going and I've loved all of the Mario screens lately.

zoukka

Nothing is stopping you from contributing to the sad thread that was linked here earlier.

And if you are talking about benchmarks, then define then because looking at some ps4/xbone games, not all of "true" next gen was created equal :)

cakefoo

Zelda is 1080 native.
My bad. I've noticed nothing but 720p shots of WW in here.
But I have to disagree about that miles better than line. Huge improvements making less and less of a difference. We can all look at AC4 on the PS4 and see improvements. And some of those KillZone SF shots are just spectacular. Almost like concept art. But the differences between are meaning less and less. A well designed WiiU game is still stunning in the face of better rendering tech
I don't know, I think this is miles better, and if that's KZ3, that's a late-gen PS3 effort versus a launch effort from a team who didn't even know the finalized specs for most of their dev time.

The Mario Wii U shots are great considering the hardware, but it's still just 360-PS3 quality graphics in 2013.

cakefoo

Well, and now you have the underpowered WiiU as a reference benchmark to show how superior the other two consoles are. You might also find some nice screenshots posted along the way... even for WiiU games. I also don't see what "excluding" the PS360 has to do with this. They are the previous generation, and they have their successors. Just like the Wii has its successor in the WiiU.
I brought up the 360/PS3 because in the mind of a graphics whore they are in the same class as the Wii U. If Xbox One had launched with 360 quality graphics and invested more in motion control, then the PS4 screenshots thread would encompass the next-gen console graphics whores screenshots thread, and it would indeed be unnecessary to have two threads for the same thing. More than one next-gen console has significantly surpassed what consoles have achieved prior, but fewer than three. Last gen everyone seemed fine accepting the fact that the Wii lagged a generation behind. The lag is the same this gen, so I don't get why people are so sensitive to the proposition of a graphics whore thread that excludes it.

And i'm sure that once MS and Sony fix their broken/nonexistent screenshot features, you will see many more mindblowing "next-gen graphics" here without the need to feel annoyed by WiiU screenshots, which are now dictating the thread... simply because it has more games, a larger userbase and mainly, a decent screenshot feature. Some might actually call that... next-gen.
I'm not annoyed to see Wii U screens here. It is afterall a thread for each console manufacturer's respective new-gen consoles. But what I do get annoyed by is this pitchforking by Wii U supporters and tendency to overreact to things. Oh, that thread the guy made was incredibly poor, it was the shittiest premise for a thread, and you could tell he made it because he resented the Wii U. He did not start that thread out on an eloquent note. BUT I think that a thread existing based on the premise that XBO and PS4 graphics are in a league of their own and is dedicated to observing the most technically impressive console games ever made, then I see no problem with excluding the Wii U on the grounds that it is absolutely no match technically.

zoukka

I brought up the 360/PS3 because in the mind of a graphics whore they are in the same class as the Wii U. If Xbox One had launched with 360 quality graphics and invested more in motion control, then the PS4 screenshots thread would encompass the next-gen console graphics whores screenshots thread, and it would indeed be unnecessary to have two threads for the same thing. More than one next-gen console has significantly surpassed what consoles have achieved prior, but fewer than three. Last gen everyone seemed fine accepting the fact that the Wii lagged a generation behind. The lag is the same this gen, so I don't get why people are so sensitive to the proposition of a graphics whore thread that excludes it.

This thread is not called "graphics whores" thread, but the next-gen screenshot thread. And the definition for next gen is just a matter of iterations. You can make a new thread with your own made up definitions.

Jaagen

I'm curious to see how this thread looks in a year from now, bacause there's currently a lack of diversity in the games(it's just Mario, Killzone and Knack, and while they look great, I'm looking forward to see more games).

EDarkness

Can't you guys take this console wars stuff somewhere else? This thread is about celebrating cool looking games on the current systems. Lots of good stuff on all three systems and I've enjoyed reading this thread a lot. All this platform griping is tiring and uncalled for. Relax and enjoy games, people.

guek

Banned
I'm curious to see how this thread looks in a year from now, bacause there's currently a lack of diversity in the games(it's just Mario, Killzone and Knack, and while they look great, I'm looking forward to see more games).

A year from now?

X, X, X, MOTHER FUCKING X

We'll be seeing a lot of screen shots of that game. Probably Infamous and The Division as well. I really hope Sony and MS get on the uncompressed screenshot bandwagon by then.

Timu

Along with the 3 X1 games I got I will have pics of Forza 5(in game, not photomode), maybe Halo: Spartan Assault when it comes out in December, and some other PS4 games on PSN to add more to this amazing thread.

cakefoo

Nothing is stopping you from contributing to the sad thread that was linked here earlier.
You mean the PS4/XBO thread that was locked?

And if you are talking about benchmarks, then define then because looking at some ps4/xbone games, not all of "true" next gen was created equal :)
Teraflops, of course. That and CPU plus any consideration for specialized components.

This thread is not called "graphics whores" thread, but the next-gen screenshot thread. And the definition for next gen is just a matter of iterations. You can make a new thread with your own made up definitions.
I know it's not a graphics whore thread. I acknowledged that and this thread gets a huge thumbs up from me. I'm not an insecure Wii U hater.

But having a graphics whore thread where the two most powerful consoles are the only ones allowed to compete in is precisely what people seem to disapprove of existing on this board. For what reason, I'm still trying to figure out.
Can't you guys take this console wars stuff somewhere else? This thread is about celebrating cool looking games on the current systems. Lots of good stuff on all three systems and I've enjoyed reading this thread a lot. All this platform griping is tiring and uncalled for. Relax and enjoy games, people.
Are you directing that at me? I like this thread. But I also think it should be acceptable if a thread existed that was for graphics whores. Instead of bluntly saying, "No Wii U screens," it would just naturally be excluded because people know it can't technically compete.

People can still get pretty shots of PS4 games here, sure, and if you think about it people are right in saying we don't need separate threads... But only because there are only 2 or 3 really good looking games that could be posted in that thread. And people need to realize that we're not all Wii U haters- we just want to eventually have a more dedicated thread than this one, because as people have repeatedly said, this is NOT a graphics whore thread.

OryoN

Some people don't like that the one of the most 'visually satisfying' games in the thread is on the 'weaksauce' console they hate and despise. Which is ironic because that's the whole point of screenshot threads in the first place - to honor gorgeous visuals. Of course, it doesn't help that the thread title implies that Wii U is next-gen. Certain folks will need extensive therapy before that notion is acceptable, lol. They certainly aren't going to convince sane people that Mario 3DW is not an absolutely beautiful game, or that Wii U is incapable of outputting great visuals, so haters will do what they do best... find more ways to hate.

This is quickly becoming my favorite thread on NeoGaf. It's a real shame Xbox One doesn't have a screenshot feature.

Keep up the good work guys!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'd read the OP before making comments like this.
I'm not suggesting that Wii U shots shouldn't be posted as many of them are absolutely lovely. Just commenting on Most Wanted.

Besides, the op states 3 shots per post and that MW post on the previous page didn't follow that.

cakefoo

Some people don't like that the one of the most 'visually satisfying' games in the thread is on the 'weaksauce' console they hate and despise. Which is ironic because that's the whole point of screenshot threads in the first place - to honor gorgeous visuals. Of course, it doesn't help that the thread title implies that Wii U is next-gen. Certain folks will need extensive therapy before that notion is acceptable, lol. They certainly aren't going to convince sane people that Mario 3DW is not an absolutely beautiful game, or that Wii U is incapable of outputting great visuals, so haters will do what they do best... find more ways to hate.
Oh please. There's a difference between a person like me wanting a thread devoted to discussing and observing top-tier technical prowess in console games, versus someone like the guy who started that no-Wii U-allowed thread, who didn't even try to start his thread off on the right foot.

onilink88

A year from now?

X, X, X, MOTHER FUCKING X

We'll be seeing a lot of screen shots of that game.

If X is anything like Xenoblade, you won't be able to walk three feet before wanting to take a screen. And if that ends up being the case, I think it should get its own thread (in fact, I'm going to make it my responsibility to create said thread). The appeal of this one, though, lies within the diversity of the shots on display, so I, personally, wouldn't want it to be over-saturated with any single game (like what was happening with Wind Waker in the Wii U screenshot thread).

TEH-CJ

Banned
I seriously cannot get over how good Shadow fall looks.

This game is going to look nuts on my GT30 panny.

2 more days to go!

Yea, this thread goes between awesome and obnoxiousness way too often. Everyone bitched about the guy making the XB1/PS4 image thread, but it'd maybe more tolerable than this at times.

Top Bottom