• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles screenshots thread (PS4/Xbone/WiiU) [Up: Thread rules in OP]

Fox1304

Some screenshots from Lego Marvel (PS4):

BaHT3aXIgAAsp5Y.jpg:large
BaKdrzWIcAA5vHS.jpg:large
BaKRB_HIgAAbw9V.jpg:large
BaKTxIfIIAEIJVv.jpg:large

Haha awesome, I know the wife and I will have a blast playing this !

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Something about Ryse constantly looks off to me. The lighting maybe. I don't know, can't place it. Maybe it's just weird being so familiar with Crysis for CryEngine and finally seeing another high profile big budget game using the engine :p.

Something about Ryse constantly looks off to me. The lighting maybe. I don't know, can't place it. Maybe it's just weird being so familiar with Crysis for CryEngine and finally seeing another high profile big budget game using the engine :p.

I would say it´s the uncanny valley in full effect. Still the
technically
best looking next gen game in my opinion.

I get the same feel. For me I think its the faces, especially when they're animated. In the uncanny valley for me.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

The contrast looks a bit off in those pictures but DAMN if it doesn't look motherfucking impressive. Easily the most impressive looking launch game of either new consoles in my opinion.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

The animation is off a lot of the times but I always think it looks gorgeous in stills, which is why I was waiting for it to hit this thread.

Loomba

Ryse does look phenomenal jesus... that HUD is so overbearing though, really should have allowed it to be disabled imo.

rashbeep

Banned
Compression doesn't seem to hurt Ryse as much as Killzone, hopefully we see more of them uncompressed cause they're head and shoulders above the rest.

ozfunghi

I'm having issues with the skin in many shots. Too much SSS, it makes the character appear to be too "jello"-y. It's not in all the shots, so probably it works in some lighting conditions but not so much in others. Maybe that's what you're seeing as well.

Better crowd than Forza confirmed.

Pretty sure it's a better racing game than Forza as well! Boom!

I'm just kidding. Never played Forza.

Just double checked and took some screenshots. I'm pretty certain that cutscene is pre-rendered.

11102903596_e1523ecde2_o.png

11102851195_f512e327d5_o.png

Dat compression.
Pre-rendered as in pre-recorded because crytek didn't have enough time to make them realtime by release. The character models look exactly the same:
iHleCMeLVo1ue.png

Just that this is a compressed shot and some detail is lost.

joesiv

Compression doesn't seem to hurt Ryse as much as Killzone, hopefully we see more of them uncompressed cause they're head and shoulders above the rest.
Benefits of 900p? Even though it looks good for 900p (not many artefacts), 900p means that there is less high frequency detail than 1080p. heavily JPG compressed images will eat high frequency detail for breakfast, the less there is, the less noticeable the compression artifacts will be.

KHlover

Banned
wiiu_screenshot_tv_01h0rkn.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01a9pk3.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_011ko1j.jpg

Got the game one day early. Thank you based Amazon *_*
Looks even better on my TV. On my small 25" TV (time for an upgrade, but at least it's 1080p...) with a viewing distance of 6 feet 6 47⁄64 inches (dafuq?) I can't make out any jaggies *_*

Pre-rendered as in pre-recorded because crytek didn't have enough time to make them realtime by release. The character models look exactly the same:
iHleCMeLVo1ue.png

Just that this is a compressed shot and some detail is lost.

The models may be similar (though the real time hair looks a lot worse) but lighting, AA, DOF, LOD, particles are considerably better in the pre-rendered cut scene. not to mention number of models in the shot.

KKRT00

The models may be similar (though the real time hair looks a lot worse) but lighting[nah!], AA [nah!], DOF [nah!], LOD [You cant judge that], particles [nah!] are considerably better in the pre-rendered cut scene. not to mention number of models in the shot.

Lighting can be different in cutscenes, like they can add additional lights for characters, but thats about it.
You have screenshots, this thread, from real-time cutscenes too and how are they different from pre-rendered ones?

Can't wait to spam this thread with screens this weekend!

Lighting can be different in cutscenes, like they can add additional lights for characters, but thats about it.
You have screenshots, this thread, from real-time cutscenes too and how are they different from pre-rendered ones?

All of the things you quoted look clearly better in pre-rendered cutscenes, and also the shaders. There is a clear difference.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
How DoF is different in cutscene from this one?
Pretty sure Ryse can render realtime cutscenes that looks about the same as those pre-recorded ones, but during gameplay it just doesn't look the same. It's the same argument with Uncharted games (or maybe better compared to Heavenly Sword which did have a number of realtime cutscenes as well as prerecorded ones, and they all looked the same). Even if the gameplay character models and textures were the exact same, end result just wasn't, due to quality of lighting and shaders used. Screens that you posted from realtime cutscenes still have a black screen transition to gameplay btw.

Some of the gameplay screens posted on this page and a previous one, look really great regardless.

KKRT00

Pretty sure Ryse can render realtime cutscenes that looks about the same as those pre-recorded ones, but during gameplay it just doesn't look the same. It's the same argument with Uncharted games (or maybe better compared to Heavenly Sword which did have a number of realtime cutscenes as well as prerecorded ones, and they all looked the same). Even if the gameplay character models and textures were the exact same, end result just wasn't, due to quality of lighting and shaders used. Screens that you posted from realtime cutscenes still have a black screen transition to gameplay btw.

Some of the gameplay screens posted on a previous page look really great regardless.

Cutscenes are better controlled so they are lit much better. They dont have better shaders, they sometimes have a little tweaked shaders to fit the lighting, like in C3, they also have touched up shadow maps for characters.
In real game play they need to render more objects, so more shadow maps and they have less controlled occlusion, so they can have more shaders on screen.
I'm just saying that there is no difference between real-time cutscenes and pre-renderer ones, at least i havent noticed any major,its basically the same situation as with God of War 3.
Cutscenes always will look better in games than gameplay, its just how it is ;p

Uncharted is pretty bad example, because they used like 4 or 8 ps3s to render cutscenes, they had everything turn up to eleven from supersampled IQ, to outstanding shadow maps and shaders to sometimes even completely different lighting precision.

[url=http://abload.de/image.php?img=windwwebvlcsnap-2013-5adua.png][/URL]

Are compositions with wider FOV ok or a no go in this thread (below)? And taking out the hud via PS/GIMP?

Either way, a quick question. Wind Waker seems to be a real test for my capture device. There is a lot of compression artefacts in these pics and one giant color compression line in the blue sky that almost looks like jpeg artefacting. The only compression that took place was h.264 encoding. I have no control over bitrate, is that normal that certain colors make problems as seen here? I've never seen that so visible in any of my other captures?

[url=http://abload.de/image.php?img=windwaker-screenshot-b3dxg.png][/URL]

Timu

Either way, a quick question. Wind Waker seems to be a real test for my capture device. There is a lot of compression artefacts in these pics and one giant color compression line in the blue sky that almost looks like jpeg artefacting. The only compression that took place was h.264 encoding. I have no control over bitrate, is that normal that certain colors make problems as seen here? I've never seen that so visible in any of my other captures?

[url=http://abload.de/image.php?img=windwaker-screenshot-b3dxg.png][/URL]
What capture card do you have? Might have to check your settings. Also nice to see 1080p Wind Waker shots.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Cutscenes are better controlled so they lit much better. They dont have better shaders, they sometimes have a little tweaked shaders to fit the lighting, like in C3, they also have touched up shadow maps for characters.
In real game play they need to render more objects, so more shadow maps and they have less controlled occlusion, so they can have more shaders on screen.
I'm just saying that there is no difference between real-time cutscenes and pre-renderer ones, at least i havent noticed any major.
Cutscenes always will look better in games than gameplay, its just how it is ;p

Uncharted is pretty bad example, because they used like 4 or 8 ps3s to render cutscenes, they had everything turn up to eleven from supersampled IQ, to outstanding shadow maps and shaders to sometimes even completely different lighting precision.
Unless they let us know on their process and parameters we can just keep guessing, but to me, this screen immediately jumps out as something you'd never see in this game's cutscene, and it's not just because of the camera's position.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7347/11101877674_240e353ae6_o.png

And it's typically how the game looks while being played from everything I've seen. Cutscenes basically look DX11 level, while gameplay looks more like DX10 but with better motion blur and AA than you'd typically find in that DX class. I think you're right about cutscenes, they do look about the same when they're fully realtime, and they probably went with pre-recorded due to perfect framerate stability and being able to hide loading.

Yes, I brought up HS as a better example where I've noticed this kind of thing, but even with multiple PS3s to render on Uncharted, you can't make a guess if that was done just so that they'd render faster than realtime so that they can get things done quicker, and there's also video encoding that needed to happen. I know that one of the UC2 cutscenes was demoed to press in realtime with moving camera around freely etc. IQ was not supersampled in any UC games cutscenes that I can remember btw.

Dat Marius hair.

ibwFqx0EU5Rs72.gif

It's a shame some of the females hair in this game doesn't move as good as i hoped it would. They should have rendered the hair better in the cutscenes since they're pre-recorded anyways. Keep trying Crytek!

What capture card do you have? Might have to check your settings. Also nice to see 1080p Wind Waker shots.

It's an Elgato Game Capture HD. There are next to no settings that would let me influence the quality, one big slider which i put to "max quality", also only video, no screencapture function. That kind of irritates me, i'm already browsing for another capture device but i have the fear that i will always encounter this problem unless i'll go for uncompressed. And while i'd love to, that would mean quite a hefty sum of money to invest for me at the moment. There is an Avermedia Extreme Cap3 card announced, an usb 3 external card, im leaning towards that but while not as expensive as going for a RAID System and totally uncompressed material (i want video), i'd have to buy a new laptop for that.

Timu

It's an Elgato Game Capture HD. There are next to no settings that would let me influence the quality, one big slider which i put to "max quality", also only video, no screencapture function. That kind of irritates me, i'm already browsing for another capture device but i have the fear that i will always encounter this problem unless i'll go for uncompressed. And while i'd love to, that would mean quite a hefty sum of money to invest for me at the moment. There is an Avermedia Extreme Cap3 card announced, an usb 3 external card, im leaning towards that but while not as expensive as going for a RAID System and totally uncompressed material (i want video), i'd have to buy a new laptop for that.
Wow without much options there isn't much you can do. From what I heard Avermedia capture cards are really good especially the internal ones which I plan to get soon.

Top Bottom