• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles screenshots thread (PS4/Xbone/WiiU) [Up: Thread rules in OP]

Sipheren

Banned
Loving Forza!

Stang.jpg

Stang2.jpg

D-e-f-

Banned
Dat Marius hair.

ibwFqx0EU5Rs72.gif

It's a shame some of the females hair in this game doesn't move as good as i hoped it would. They should have rendered the hair better in the cutscenes since they're pre-recorded anyways. Keep trying Crytek!

Why is hair always weird? Hair isn't made of fairy dust, it doesn't float around like that. Can't they still not make it look real-ish without having it wobble around the whole time?

JordanN

Banned
Why is hair always weird? Hair isn't made of fairy dust, it doesn't float around like that. Can't they still not make it look real-ish without having it wobble around the whole time?
Edit: Here's a whitepaper I found on the issues of hair.

Hair movement in cel character animation is sometimes
inconsistent. For example, there may be inconsistencies
in the number of strands or locks of hair, as can easily be
seen in the images in Fig. 1. The representation of hair is
thus a specialized work in cel animation. In fact, Cartoon
hair representation is very difficult to achieve in com-
puter graphics. This is because all of the hair attributes
may not be consistent between camera positions. Al-
though physics equations can be used to obtain physi-
cally correct movement, it is not always the movement
for which the animator is looking.
Since the movement of
hair in cartoon animation sometimes carries meaning, the
animator may be looking for something that exists only
in his or her imagination. This means that the character-
istics of the hair (modeled shape, number, etc.) between
key frames may actually have not to agree. Even though
the frames are physically inconsistent, the results can be
quite convincing. This is the most difficult part of creat-
ing cartoons using computer graphics and is the reason
Keyword :
Cel Animation, Cartoon Animation, Hair Dynamics, 3D Animation
why cartoon hair animation has been done by hand."
http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/~yyz/publication/CartoonHair.pdf

This is another whitepaper as well.
Realistic hair simulation is one of the most difficult issues when
animating virtual humans. Human hair is a very complex mate-
rial, consisting of hundreds of thousands of very thin, inextensi-
ble strands that interact with each other and with the body. Unlike
solids or fluids, which have been studied for over a century and
well modeled by now classical equations, hair remains a large unsolved problem described by no well accepted model. Finding a
representation that provides an accurate simulation of hair motion
remains a challenge.

Modeling hair dynamics raises a number of difficulties. First, each
individual strand has a complex nonlinear mechanical behavior,
strongly related to its natural shape: smooth, wavy, curly or fuzzy.
Second, the dynamics of an assembly of strands takes on a collec-
tive behavior; however, to our knowledge there is no quantified data
regarding hair clustering and cohesion. Last, the simulation of a full
head of hair raises obvious issues in terms of efficiency
http://www.lmm.jussieu.fr/~audoly/research/hair06/BA_hair_siggraph06.pdf

The Boat

I avoided posting 3D World screens before launch to avoid spoiling it/being annoying, but I'll post some now, even if it's not very original :p

ibqfSFUm74MjmU.jpg

iwGRZ7sNSvk1Z.jpg

i6WDdp4P3jEIR.jpg

ozfunghi

I'm really bummed out by the lighting in Windwaker. During daytime outdoors, it generally looks great, but the upon "item fetch", the lighting changes, and you can see the 3D models lose their celshading, and it really looks nasty and out of place. I can't get my head around why they would do that (as it is deliberate). In some dark areas with specific lighting (like torches), you get the same effect. It's a real shame and it tarnishes the game. Bah, the gamecube version didn't have this problem. I would hope they would "patch" this, but i know that's not gonna happen. Ugh.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Super Mario 3D World looks fantastic. The Windwaker bundle is on sale today in the German Amazon store. I think I'll try to persuade my room mate to...

Wahahaha! This made me laugh so hard! (⌒▽⌒)

Lol. Yeah, I just love LEGO Spidey. Swinging around New York in LEGO Marvel has been more fun that the last few Activision Spider-Man games, sadly. Lol.

iminyourfaceh3juo.gif

I can't wait to see what games will look like in a couple of years. It's insane seeing how far ND pushed last gen hardware.

I actually think Joel looks better based off of those gifs. But yeah, Ryse looks damn good in other shots. I can't wait to see what Naughty Dog is up to.

Some more Assassin's Creed IV PS4 shots:

1398396_10201501342628753_1274343010_o.jpg

1402363_10201501346828858_595271859_o.jpg

1483592_10201501347748881_60513625_o.jpg

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
11113258365_401c6a532a_o.png

Sorry if I'm posting too much Ryse, I just find that DOF stunning. Here's NFS:R (PS4) for a change:

11113251275_a51d96d561_o.png

11113316516_d9e1afa30c_o.png

adelante

Sorry if I'm posting too much Ryse, I just find that DOF stunning.

Keep posting man. Cryengine is capable of producing one of, if not THE, best quality bokeh effects there is. I wish there was a way to get rid of the HUD, would make for great wallpapers.

And that dimly-lit coliseum scene just oozes in atmosphere. The artistic lighting is just incredible in that pic. Makes me want a fighting game that looks as good as that (of course it probably shouldnt be that dark).

vio

AC4 has great IQ (PS4), but other than that it doesn`t look that great to me. Best example of a cross-gen game. Based only on screenshots, don`t have ps4.

Ryse single player looks really good. Maybe even better than KZ SF. Could be art direction though. Maybe it wins in motion?

Knack has really good lighting and shaders, geometry is impressive, not fan of character design.

Tearaway is just ( ' o ' )! I want it on my ps3, now!

AC4 has great IQ (PS4), but other than that it doesn`t look that great to me. Best example of a cross-gen game. Based only on screenshots, don`t have ps4.

Ryse single player looks really good. Maybe even better than KZ SF. Could be art direction though. Maybe it wins in motion?

Knack has really good lighting and shaders, geometry is impressive, not fan of character design.

Tearaway is just ( ' o ' )! I want it on my ps3, now!

Tearaway is cleaner than some next gen games. Or maybe most. Such an awesome looking game.

jamztio

Neo Member
Lots of great screenshots in this thread guys! Makes me wanna post mine :).
Here are what I took yesterday from ACIV on the PS4.

BZ-uGjhCEAAGhnq.jpg:orig

BaPAN_uCAAAM0PC.jpg:orig

BaO_REkCEAA3vk3.jpg:orig

D-e-f-

Banned
They should really start doing "put all that stupid HUD shit on your Vita screen!" mode for PS4 games. Want people to fall in love with the benefits of a second screen? Start doing that.

KKRT00

TLOU-cutscene last gen hair > Ryse real-time new gen hair

Nah, there are hardly any polys on those Joel's hairs.
We need at least 30-40k polys for good hair this gen and probably that will be still quite a low number.

Marius hair looks great, but You couldnt make good long hair with this tech.

Nah, there are hardly any polys on those Joel's hairs.
We need at least 30-40k polys for good hair this gen and probably that will be still quite a low number.

Marius hair looks great, but You couldnt make good long hair with this tech.

Yeah, that is obvious from the Female model. His hair does look good though, I don't think I have noticed Crytek doing much in this department before. Surely FF XV should be ahead of the pack in this aspect? Early footage certainly wasn't but Agni Philosophy was way ahead of anything we have thus far seen in next gen.

KKRT00

Yeah, that is obvious from the Female model. His hair does look good though, I don't think I have noticed Crytek doing much in this department before. Surely FF XV should be ahead of the pack in this aspect? Early footage certainly wasn't but Agni Philosophy was way ahead of anything we have thus far seen in next gen.

Yep, Agni seemed like good compromise between polygons and physics precision for next-gen platforms.

------
Then TLOU in-game real-time hair > Ryse real-time in-game hair. :)

TLOU hair looks like hair. Ryse hair looks like fairy magic.

I really dont see what You see. You mean lack of movement looks better to You or almost no hair strains at all?

Eggbok

I can't get over how the bodies pile up instead of fusing together on the ground, it's so amazing!

Killzone: Shadow Fall
iuCHbDzuAKyvm.jpg

iJHQm4woCHg10.jpg

ozfunghi

Interesting to see that DOF is disabled when the image is passing throught the pipes. Those rocks are blurried out of the pipe, but are clean through it. ^^ #nice

I'd like to know if this is a design choice. DOF appears to be post-processed based on Z data. When transparency is concerned, this appears to be off. I did a bit of 3D work in Blender (opensource 3D tool) and before they changed their internal renderer to cycles (raytracing engine), the same problem occurred and it was also post-processed. There was a workaround, but i can imagine that may be too expensive for real-time rendering. I'll try to pay attention next time i play Pikmin, which also has glass walls etc. If that game doesn't do this, it probably is by choice.

D-e-f-

Banned
I really dont see what You see. You mean lack of movement looks better to You or almost no hair strains at all?

I see a thick head of hair on Joel that doesn't magically float around unlike any real hair of that length I've ever seen. Then I see the Ryse hair which looks like it's underwater and super soft and should be way longer to move like this.

I'd like to know if this is a design choice. DOF appears to be post-processed based on Z data. When transparency is concerned, this appears to be off. I did a bit of 3D work in Blender (opensource 3D tool) and before they changed their internal renderer to cycles (raytracing engine), the same problem occurred and it was also post-processed. There was a workaround, but i can imagine that may be too expensive for real-time rendering. I'll try to pay attention next time i play Pikmin, which also has glass walls etc. If that game doesn't do this, it probably is by choice.

We had a Forza 5 shot in here earlier that showed the same phenomenon.

Wii U 3rd party games that the screenshots sold me are

NFSMWU
Deus Ex HR
AC 4
Lego Marvel

Will also get Rayman Legends, Batman AC and Splinter Cell (maybe go PC when I get one). I don't know why people say there are no games I cannot keep up. I also have to get W101, Pikmin 3 and Wii Party U for the kids.

Top Bottom