• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Centenario |OT| featuring Messi, James, Suárez and $110 mil in bribes

Status
Not open for further replies.

73V3N

Banned
So glad mexico lost, the mexicans that went to see this match were so rude and disrespectful they totally deserved it

luso

god soccer was so different then. the physique of players especially.

That's why is hard to do direct comparisons between past players and current players. Top world-class players of a given era were the best, but within their environment. Now if they lived in out time and had the same modern trainings and methods, who knows if they wouldn't be even greater?
Current football demands very high fitness, power, speed, so even great teams before pre-modern football (~70s?) would not have many chances...

Mobius 1

aBcuwoL.jpg

Amazing :D

Until we loose by that much in a World Cup semifinal as hosts we're still behind them. The magnitude of Brazil's L was way worse than this

Don't act like California is not a home game for Mexico against any team, including the US.

Plus the fact that Mexico has never made it to a WC SF means your scenario could never play out. Brazil's loss is more significant due to Brazil's heritage and soccer pedigree, however, make no mistake about it, this loss is just as embarrassing and bad as Brazil's.

It may not be quite as bad because Mexico is no Brazil. Brazil has won 5 World Cups, has had countless legendary players, and a tremendous pedigree.

That said, this Copa tournament was basically home territory for Mexico. Their games had bigger attendances than the US games, so it could be argued they were a co-host of sorts. Mexico is considered a regional power, so getting drubbed by Chile 7-0 is really really bad. Chile is a very good team, but they're no Germany. Mexico should not be losing to Chile 7-0 on essentially their home soil.

Pretty much this.

You know what I like about this thread?

It has remained extremely civil since the beginning (unlike other threads from previous tournaments).

Congrats to everyone for that :)

NoRéN;207702677 said:
Who would act in a tasteless manner after watching a murder on live tv?

I'm talking in general, not just about the 7-0.

In past threads, the conversation got very heated several times until a mod appeared to ask us to stop or the ban hammer would do its work hahaha.

it's missing the Euro saltiness (?)

Maybe, yeah. But in this region there are good amounts of salt too. After every damn match, tons of peruvians, uruguayans and argentinians begin with the "ustedes compraron la copa!!!!" crap.

I went to a buffet hoping to stuff myself with tacos and forget about the game and the first thing I hear when I get in there is "Did you see Mexico get murdered yesterday?"

Fucks sake :(

gutshot

it's missing the Euro saltiness (?)

Definitely this. In WC threads it always seems to be the Eurosnobs starting crap, calling rival teams and players trash because they don't play in one of the European leagues. Supporters of American teams always tend to respect their opponents and if they lose they put the blame on their own coach and players and give credit to the winning side.

Don't be so naive

Hey, with him gone, the corruption of the ANFP is gone, there surely isn't more of bwahahahahha I can't end that sentence lol

People will always claim that some teams rigg the results though. I mean, There are reports of Uruguay and Argentina doing it many years ago so they both qualify for the WC.

Altazor

Maybe, yeah. But in this region there are good amounts of salt too. After every damn match, tons of peruvians, uruguayans and argentinians begin with the "ustedes compraron la copa!!!!" crap.

Ugh, don't even remind me. Every time we play Argentina or Uruguay, twitter gets filled with shit (from both sides, I can't say some of our fellow countrymen aren't idiots :p)
In any case, they'll just have to deal with it. We won last year. End of story.

Definitely this. In WC threads it always seems to be the Eurosnobs starting crap, calling rival teams and players trash because they don't play in one of the European leagues. Supporters of American teams always tend to respect their opponents and if they lose they put the blame on their own coach and players and give credit to the winning side.

They can get quite snobbish yeah. Plus, the saltiness between european leagues... phew. We'll never settle the Premier League vs La Liga debate :p

At least Jaude is not with the ANFP anymore, so now no one can say that !

Hey, don't diss DOCTOR SERGIO ELIAS JADUE JADUE. He made us happy.

Ostinatto

I was driving my car today listening to the radio and i notice a couple of radio stations playing Rancheras Mexicanas, i usually hate this music, but it felt good this time xD it was a nice drive home.

"ayyy ayyyy ay ayyyyy canta y no llores. "

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
For those who think USA has a realistic chance of beating ARG in current conditions. I'm so sorry for you.
In the only scenario that's remotely possible is without Messi.
And I say this knowing ARG coaching is non-existing, but players skill level is just not comparable between the two countries.

Don't even need to score first, just park the bus for 90 min and go to PK's. Not that I think that would actually work.
why doesn't the matches go into Extra Time after 90 minutes like the Euro does?

is it because of TV?

It's was really weird and unexpected for me to see Colombia proceed into a shootout after 90 minutes were done.

is it because of TV?

It's was really weird and unexpected for me to see Colombia proceed into a shootout after 90 minutes were done.

No clue why, its just one of those differences.

For those who think USA has a realistic chance of beating ARG in current conditions. I'm so sorry for you.
And I say this knowing ARG coaching is non-existing, but players skill level is just not comparable between the two countries.

I don't think anyone realistically does think we can win. Our only hope is 0-0 going to PK's but even that is a massive stretch.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...

is it because of TV?

CONMEBOL rules for Copa America, only the final goes to extra time.

gutshot

You are, of course, 100% correct. But upsets do happen. It wasn't that long ago that the US defeated what was quite possibly the best national team in history.

I'm not expecting the US to win tomorrow night, but I wouldn't put their chance at 0% either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom