• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Centenario |OT| featuring Messi, James, Suárez and $110 mil in bribes

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim.mbp

HNNzVyY.jpg

Our secret weapon.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Well they did win and were down a man so not sure why its even applicable.

yep, u.s has defended two straight games with 10 players for nearly 45 minutes. both yedlin and jones are fucking idiots who took the u.s out of the game at the start of the second half.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Well they did win and were down a man so not sure why its even applicable.

Yes, but if you do that during the whole game... and against someone like ARG is not gonna end well.

IMO the best chance for USA is to counter attack, ARG defense and midfield are the weakest link, a good counter attack can put USA on the lead and then hope for Guzan to have the game of his life.

You are, of course, 100% correct. But upsets do happen. It wasn't that long ago that the US defeated what was quite possibly the best national team in history.

I'm not expecting the US to win tomorrow night, but I wouldn't put their chance at 0% either.
This.

Is it unlikely? Yes. Impossible? Hell no.

Yes, but if you do that during the whole game... and against someone like ARG is not gonna end well.

IMO the best chance for USA is to counter attack, ARG defense and midfield are the weakest link, a good counter attack can put USA on the lead and then hope for Guzan to have the game of his life.

Right I agree I just don't understand why the other guy thought it didn't work well for the US in the quarterfinals. It was an incredibly practical strategy based on the situation and it worked.

Chris R

Probably referring to ECU best passage late in the game when USA was parking :p

Yup, went full on park mode after the Zardes goal and only let in 1, but I think ARG won't have an issue putting in 2+ if we go full on park from the start.

The US has a slight chance to win tomorrow. I don't think you can completely write them off. I'd say it's something along the lines of - if you play the game 10 times, they win 1, draw 2, and lose the other 7. Draws put you straight into PKs which is a coin flip. Most likely result is a loss by a few goals, but they've been good defensively for a while (last goal scored against them in the run of play was months ago) and they'll have a small home field advantage. On the negative side, Argentina is playing extremely well right now and have much more talent. Plus the suspensions hurt the US a lot. We'll see what happens.

Right I agree I just don't understand why the other guy thought it didn't work well for the US in the quarterfinals. It was an incredibly practical strategy based on the situation and it worked.
Regarding the bunker the US played last match, it was very ineffective. I don't have a problem with a defensive shell in some situations when it's properly arrayed, but they really didn't prevent Ecuador from generating offense after Zardes scored. Michael Caley wrote a bit about it here. They kept on losing the ball and giving up opportunities in front of the net. Ecuador just sucked at finishing and the US made a couple huge clearances.

Ferny

Nnnnoooooooo!!!!
Oh well, in situations like this, always go for the live event.

Correct. That is why I missed GoT last night, because of Game 7. I can always go back and watch it. Watching highlights of a live game aren't always the same.

A lot of newspapers and media are already talking about a Chile-Argentina final.

Super disrespectful for both Colombia & USA. Sure, USA chances to win are very low, but not equal to zero.

And Colombia is a very strong team. That game against Chile will be decided in favor of whoever makes less mistakes, I think.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
A lot of newspapers and media are already talking about a Chile-Argentina final.

Super disrespectful for both Colombia & USA. Sure, USA chances to win are very low, but not equal to zero.

And Colombia is a very strong team. That game against Chile will be decided in favor of whoever makes less mistakes, I think.

Colombia will have a pretty good chance given Chile's striker is out due to yellow accumulation. They just need to play better than they have been, more like their first game against the US and less like how they've played since.

Caturro

Colombia will have a pretty good chance given Chile's striker is out due to yellow accumulation. They just need to play better than they have been, more like their first game against the US and less like how they've played since.

What striker? Vidal is a box-to-box mid.

I think Colombia will play this one conservately and Chile will take precautions as well, so I'm not expecting a high scoring game. I think our forwards current form is better but not having Vidal there will certainly affect the flow of our game.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What striker? Vidal is a box-to-box mid.

I think Colombia will play this one conservately and Chile will take precautions as well, so I'm not expecting a high scoring game. I think our forwards current form is better but not having Vidal there will certainly affect the flow of our game.

Hell, mis-remembered sorry.

Santiako

I never write anyone off, so I'm always scared of the underdog (USA in this case).

I think Chile - Colombia will end up in a draw as both will play to not lose.

Niks

Colombia needs to keep Chile at bay for the first 20 mins of the match. If they can do that, then it will be an interesting match.

Chiles first 15-20 minutes of play are played at an insane pace.

Colombia needs to keep Chile at bay for the first 20 mins of the match. If they can do that, then it will be an interesting match.

Chiles first 15-20 minutes of play are played at an insane pace.

I kinda agree.

I hope both teams play in an aggressive way so we can watch a great match.

Cystm

The game tomorrow is sold out. About 70k will attend the match in Houston.

I feel calm. Like a soldier ready to die.

We won't get many breaks in between their attacks, but when we do, if we can keep our heads during the counter, and if we strike early I will have hope.

This game is likely to be the last glimpse of glory at this level for our older guys. I hope Dempsey takes his few chances well. I would rather have Timmy in goal, but if Guzan can somehow manage not to implode under the Argentinean barrage, he will become a living perma-fat-lipped-bald-American legend.

The entire world expects us to go down like Mexico or Brazil.

I hope we give it our all, no matter the scoreline. Take some fucking glory.

Rooting hard for the US, but I think Argentina is on another level from anyone else right now. It doesn't help that US is undermanned due to yellow cards.

ARG 3-0 USA

Chris R

Rooting hard for the US, but I think Argentina is on another level from anyone else right now. It doesn't help that US is undermanned due to yellow cards.

ARG 3-0 USA

That Yellow Card rule is bullshit. It should reset after the group stage finishes. Saying that for every team, not just the USA.

As for tonight I'm thinking it ends 4-1. As long as the on field effort is there I don't care if we win or lose, just don't capitulate like Mexico did.

Clydefrog

I think not having Jones in the midfield (plus everywhere else, because he's a beast) is going to hurt us the most. Is Beckerman starting for him?

A win tonight that isn't won via PKs would be nothing short of a miracle.

Brashnir

That Yellow Card rule is bullshit. It should reset after the group stage finishes. Saying that for every team, not just the USA.

As for tonight I'm thinking it ends 4-1. As long as the on field effort is there I don't care if we win or lose, just don't capitulate like Mexico did.

The reason is resets after the quarterfinals instead of after the group stage is to ensure that nobody can miss the final due to yellow accumulation.

Don't want to sit - stop getting carded.

Dartastic

COME ON USA.

...also I'm calling it now, Nagbe doesn't hit the field as a starter. I think Klinsi thinks he's too timid and needs some more bite.

Brashnir

This assumes you have competent refs in every match.

Sure, but there's things a team can do to mitigate risk. Wood and Bedoya could have both been subbed off knowing they were in danger. Bedoya being especially egregious since he was obviously gassed and was, in fact, subbed off later.

Other than the questionable red on Jones, it's the US team's own damn fault they're so short-handed.

Sure, but there's things a team can do to mitigate risk. Wood and Bedoya could have both been subbed off knowing they were in danger. Bedoya being especially egregious since he was obviously gassed and was, in fact, subbed off later.

Other than the questionable red on Jones, it's the US team's own damn fault they're so short-handed.
I don't have many issues with the officiating in the Ecuador match but the ref in the Paraguay match was ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom