• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Centenario |OT| featuring Messi, James, Suárez and $110 mil in bribes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
Latino guy: Messi is the best in the world. *turns to Lalas* Better than Ronaldo.
Lalas: *curtly* Discussion for another day.

Lalas hurting.

Pennywise

Pace. The main thing that will trouble Argentina's defence.
It's kinda frustrating that they don't pressure Rojo more.

Fuck this. A world class keeper on the bench and this shitstain is on the pitch. Klisnmann is responsible for this shit. He should be sacked.

Tim Howard is a natural leader, he is the boss in his area, knows how to move in the box, amazing reflexes and he trasmits security to his defense line. Guzan is just plain bad.

nlFuAua.png

Obviously still better than Guzan.

Pre

Pace. The main thing that will trouble Argentina's defence.

And one thing that the U.S. used to be good at but have somehow lost. In the final in the Confederations Cup in 09, it was Davies and Donovan stretching the shit out of the Brazilian back line that helped the U.S. get off to such a fine start (before the epic second-half collapse, of course). We traditionally have had fast forwards who lacked technical prowess. Now we largely have slow players with poor technical prowess. Not really an improvement.

tim.mbp

Fuck this. A world class keeper on the bench and this shitstain is on the pitch. Klisnmann is responsible for this shit. He should be sacked.

Tim Howard is a natural leader, he is the boss in his area, knows how to move in the box, amazing reflexes and he trasmits security to his defense line. Guzan is just plain bad.

You see any Everton games this past season?

NoRéN

You know, I love MLS and really want it to be successful (and it is succeeding), but Bradley leaving Italy to go to Toronto destroyed his international career. A few years back he was a quality player, not great, but not the turnover machine that he is now. I think the dagger came when he left Serie A.
Completely agree. I mean, I can see why he left. Roma straight up bought his replacement while he was there but anyone could have told him MLS was a step backwards.

I used to be such a fan of his and hearing the nepotism excuse would piss me off to no end. But now, he's still on the team and I can't see why. He's just not a big game player.

TheFatOne

It's not about converting other athletes, it's about finding the gems we have now. There are a shitload of kids playing soccer right now, more than I have ever seen. Is there a system in place to get those kids playing professionally in MLS/USL right now? I'm not sure, but I hear they do something like that in Europe and S. America hence why they find high quality player in every position and their Mullers, Messis, Neymars, and Ronaldos.

That's fair. Also got out of a group with Colombia, Costa Rica, and Paraguay now. All decent B teams. However, I think going from scrub to decent is easier than going from decent to world class.

Yes and no. There are gems out there, but the talent pool is still tiny. You are trying to find a needle in a haystack instead of getting a plethora of elite athletic freaks constantly trying out , but the other major sports have an enormous built in advantage in the form of college sports. Especially football. They get to pick the best athletes in the country year after year with the added bonus that some of these players have better training facilities than many professional guys. On top of that they are coached buy guys who are just as good if not better than NFL coaches. The best part is the NFL doesn't even have to pay for any of it. Soccer in the U.S. does lack that feeder system that the NFL has, and I don't see that changing any time soon. It's one of the major hurdles U.S. soccer is going to have to overcome.

they're not shook, they play too conservative for this kinda match up

they play well in games the US dominate possession.

But when you need to play D and get the ball, make quick and critical passes... nah

I never like tehm TOGETHER in the middle, they're not foward thinking enough.

Beckerman is incredibly slow. He can't move at all when Messi drifts in and out of attack/midfield like he always does.

Jurgen a fucking goomba for starting Wondo and Beckerman

trembli0s

The ball hit the underside of the crossbar. No chance with placement like that unless you're Manuel Neuer at 6 feet 5

I don't even think Neuer makes that save. That was quite frankly, maybe the best struck free kick I've ever seen in my life, besides Roberto Carlos' physics defying witchcraft shot against France.

It was in the corner, off the underside of the crossbar without touching the post.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
That free kick was godlike, only a handful could have stopped that, the first goal is all Guzan though.

Daaaamn, first we lost Vidal due to that yellow card and now it seems Díaz is out too due to an injury. 2 of our 3 best players in the midfield :( :( :( :( :(

Nesotenso

Howard is not the keeper he once was. Guzan has been terrible the entire season. US goalkeeping is not strong right now. And doesn't look like there are good candidates for the immediate future. Maybe Horvath.

Even if we were to spawn a Messi he would have no chance of playing in Mexico unless they play for Pachuca or Chivas.

It's a good thing my Chivas are up to the task...

I just realized Chivas would've put up a better fight then Mexico did. Our kids are hungry for success. Even down 2 against America they fought hard and turn their season around

I don't even think Neuer makes that save. That was quite frankly, maybe the best struck free kick I've ever seen in my life, besides Roberto Carlos' physics defying witchcraft shot against France.

It was in the corner, off the underside of the crossbar without touching the post.

He would have a chance if he plays it perfect. A pretty trivial chance all things considered

leroidys

While that was an amazing goal from Messi, 50% is on Guzan for ball watching until is to late. The ball is going to his side! Fucking awful goalkeeping.

Yeah, watching the replay a few times he actually had a chance. He stopped and took a stutter step rather than making sure he could cover the corner.

You know, I love MLS and really want it to be successful (and it is succeeding), but Bradley leaving Italy to go to Toronto destroyed his international career. A few years back he was a quality player, not great, but not the turnover machine that he is now. I think the dagger came when he left Serie A.

If you want to beat the best you gotta hang with the best. I remember people saying all these players moving back to MLS was good for the NT, but the correct people knew what would happen and look where we are today.

Pulisic should be starting period because he gets minutes on a very rated CL team.
Wondo, Dempsey, and Bradley shouldn't be prioritized because of seniority. Strip down teh team get all teh youngsters in and we will look better.

People were excited at the prospect of Wood, Pulisic, and Nagbe being a trio. Why didn't Klinsmann decide to test that at the Copa?

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Daaaamn, first we lost Vidal due to that yellow card and now it seems Díaz is out too due to an injury. 2 of our 3 best players in the midfield :( :( :( :( :(
Diaz is not that good... Vidal is top5 player on the planet right now. I hope you win tomorrow.

While that was an amazing goal from Messi, 50% is on Guzan for ball watching until is to late. The ball is going to his side! Fucking awful goalkeeping.

He's too big and too slow. he looks like a slow tight end trying to play keeper.

Brain needs to function faster....

Fuck Klinsmann. F..Beckerman....F...Bradley and F....Guz

If you want to beat the best you gotta hang with the best. I remember people saying all these players moving back to MLS was good for the NT, but the correct people knew what would happen and look where we are today.

Pulisic should be starting period because he gets minutes on a very rated CL team.
Wondo, Dempsey, and Bradley shouldn't be prioritized because of seniority. Strip down teh team get all teh youngsters in and we will look better.

People were excited at the prospect of Wood, Pulisic, and Nagbe being a trio. Why didn't Klinsmann decide to test that at the Copa?

I wouldn't loop Dempsey in with Bradley or wondo tbh. Dempsey is still decent and came back at the tail end of his career and not in his prime...

LAM09

And one thing that the U.S. used to be good at but have somehow lost. In the final in the Confederations Cup in 09, it was Davies and Donovan stretching the shit out of the Brazilian back line that helped the U.S. get off to such a fine start (before the epic second-half collapse, of course). We traditionally have had fast forwards who lacked technical prowess. Now we largely have slow players with poor technical prowess. Not really an improvement.

This squad is weaker than the one in 2009 IMO.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Who was excited about Wood?

Tagyhag

All things considered, this could be going a lot worse for the US. Especially with how much times they've been giving the ball away.

If they keep it at 2-0 until the end it's respectable.

The Llama

Until MLS evolves (i.e. drops single entity, etc.) we won't be able to consistently develop players. The current system is a disaster (sorry to sound so Trump). We need reform or this will forever be out level.

Pre

I think this also affects the U.S. team's tendency to flounder in big matches out of intimidation. If you've never played in big matches (like in the CL), then you probably aren't going to have much peace of mind in a situation like this.

Zackat

Until MLS evolves (i.e. drops single entity, etc.) we won't be able to consistently develop players. The current system is a disaster (sorry to sound so Trump). We need reform or this will forever be out level.

The Don has been doing alright, but the time is coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom