• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Centenario |OT| featuring Messi, James, Suárez and $110 mil in bribes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MANUELF

Banned
The scouting is pretty bad in a football country like Mexico, you need to be in one of the biggest cities and join a football club since a child to have any chances

Cormano

Thanks, Obama!

But seriously our scouting and development needs so much work. Oh well.

Lol.

US does great in almost every sport, but football. (at last mens football). they always do horribly. If they put the effort they do in other sports like NBA or even egghand, they'll go to places.

Altazor

don't worry CONCACAF - it's not the winning, but the taking part that counts!
3AQmK.gif

Man, the Us players werent even trying, Argentina played like a sunday match with friends in the park, if they had played with the same intensity as Chile the other day, it could have been 10 - 0 or more.

really embarrassing display by the US team

BTM

So yea having to play Wondo, beckerman, and zusi instead if wood, Bedoya, and jones kinda sucked. Not saying we would have done much better but i think we would've had better chemistry at least.

Fëanorian

Neo Member
Well... At least Mexico took a few shots..nah screw that. Nothing can be salvaged from that game.

Nope, Chile just went in for the bloodbath after the third goal.

I felt Argentina never got out of first gear, Argentina could've easily done what Chile did to Mexico.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I think USA has a good level for CONCACAF but they have zero competition outside that so it's hard when they have to play against the top dogs. Should invest in getting better competition.

Tagyhag

The scouting is pretty bad in a football country like Mexico, you need to be in one of the biggest cities and join a football club since a child to have any chances

Exactly, scouting and developmental are big parts of finding those star players.

Mexico has 3x the amount of population than Argentina does, and they have just as much fervor for the sport, but they don't even equal the amount of world class players.

Alcander

Someone needs to get those athletes off the football field and basketball courts as youths and get them a soccer ball so our best athletes are playing soccer as well..

I agree to an extent, but youth soccer in the US is pretty popular. I think its the mid tier that needs a lot of work (no one cares about college soccer for instance)

Cystm

So yea having to play Wondo, beckerman, and zusi instead if wood, Bedoya, and jones kinda sucked. Not saying we would have done much better but i think we would've had better chemistry at least.

Accurate. To get through to this we needed that Chemistry and to have to adapt against a team like Argentina... lol.

I was hoping for a Wondo redemption goal, but lol no.

Ōkami;207963848 said:
You don't need ice to play hockey.

Hell, Argentina's female hockey team is one of the best in the world.

You know damn well the guy making the hockey comment wasn't referring to field hockey.

I agree to an extent, but youth soccer in the US is pretty popular. I think its the mid tier that needs a lot of work (no one cares about college soccer for instance)
This. If we invested enough in a soccer program at college level like NCAA I am sure we can scout some great players for national team.

Altazor

USA literally shot on the goal once in 93 minutes.

that's a very damning statistic.

The worst thing about it is (IMHO) that Argentina never looked like actually going all in and yet it was more than enough to steamroll the US team without much problem. That's a huge gulf in class.

Fëanorian;207963948 said:

I felt Argentina never got out of first gear, Argentina could've easily done what Chile did to Mexico.

Yes, Argentina was already thinking in the next match and never went full force on the US.

Cornbread78

You should've been the US' s beater, lol

LOL, I coach soccer, not play.

True to an extent, but until our best athletes are recruited at a young age and able to afford to play at Club soccer with good training, the pool will continue to be smaller. Getting exposure to good training at a young age is the key after identifying top athletes.

Man, the Us players werent even trying, Argentina played like a sunday match with friends in the park, if they had played with the same intensity as Chile the other day, it could have been 10 - 0 or more.

really embarrassing display by the US team

Fëanorian;207963948 said:

We can credit Argentina for not coming out looking to openly humiliate us. Chile wanted to make a statement against Mexico and they were pressing hard even when they were up 6-0. Argentina on the other hand knew how much they outclassed us, they scored their goals and left without making a fuss or being huge assholes. That's good sportsmanship when a superior team beats up a vastly inferior team.

Lunar FC

That may have been the worst US performance i've seen. Pathetic.

We lose no matter the lineup, but that starting squad was fucking embarrassing.

The Llama

This. If we invested enough in a soccer program at college level like NCAA I am sure we can scout some great players for national team.
Totally disagree. Investing in college soccer isn't the way to go, it would just delay and harm development. Players at that age need to be with professional teams. We can't approach soccer develop like it's the NFL or NBA.

Exactly, scouting and developmental are big parts of finding those star players.

Mexico has 3x the amount of population than Argentina does, and they have just as much fervor for the sport, but they don't even equal the amount of world class players.

This is more than "how many people play football per country". This is about culture.

Uruguay has two World Cups and like 6 million people for example. And 15 Copa America.

Cystm

Bradley has been garbage for at least two years now.

He's the best 6 we've ever had. He has been playing out of position because for the past 2 years coincidentally, but even with that he has been one of the best players out on the pitch. Certainly out of the pool of available 6s we have.

I don't know what your expectations are for a natural 6. He was terrible this match, that much is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom