• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Centenario |OT| featuring Messi, James, Suárez and $110 mil in bribes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar FC

He's the best 6 we've ever had. He has been playing out of position because for the past 2 years coincidentally, but even with that he has been one of the best players out on the pitch. Certainly out of the pool of available 6s we have.

I don't know what your expectations are for a natural 6. He was terrible this match, that much is true.

He is terrible 9 out of 10 matches.

But the kid is incredible at creating chances for the opposition. World class in that area.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Klinsmann is squarely responsible for this tournament

- Playing Johnson out of his strength position
- Playing Bradley WITH Beckerman in the middle at times
- Playing Beckerman over Nagbe
- Not subing Bradley or Wood when needed(in other matches)

Argentina winning is not the shock, but the way we lost today was.... urgh. We werent Mexico bad but...man.

We need to develop midfield gameplan away from Bradley, he's not forward thinking and buckled under the pressure of "big" teams. Without a good midfiled, your attack will be shit regardless of your forwards.

On the plus side, I believe in Zardes for the first time, he improved alot.

Niks

We can credit Argentina for not coming out looking to openly humiliate us. Chile wanted to make a statement against Mexico and they were pressing hard even when they were up 6-0. Argentina on the other hand knew how much they outclassed us, they scored their goals and left without making a fuss or being huge assholes. That's good sportsmanship when a superior team beats up a vastly inferior team.

Nah, I mean, Mexico was a legitimate contender for the cup (prior to the game). There was no need to go easy on them.

Nesotenso

Argentina winning is not the shock, but the way we lost today was.... urgh. We werent Mexico bad but...man.

We need to develop midfield gameplan away from Bradley, he's not forward thinking and buckled under the pressure of "big" teams. Without a good midfiled, your attack will be shit regardless of your forwards.

would like to see Johnson in the midfield but I don't think there is anyone in the LB pool who is very good.

ClhCWAyUgAEXuKt.jpg:large

help

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
For ny fellow Americans, do you see Jurgen getting sacked sometime soon?

i see him staying til Russia, they kinda married to him in a way

we better beat Colombia for 3rd at least
are we still pretending Chile wont beat Colombia??

would like to see Johnson in the midfield but I don't think there is anyone in the LB pool who is very good.
i think Shea(orlando) would do that job better then Johnson. Besler was available but was never used(and im not a big fan of him anyways)

shoplifter

He's the best 6 we've ever had.

I don't know what your expectations are for a natural 6. He was terrible this match, that much is true.

I can't argue either of these. Since coming back to MLS he has been terrible. Regularly making terrible passes.

He runs a lot though.

Argentina looked phenomenal as usual. Still stunned by Pocho injuring himself in the most bizarre and pointless fashion. Going into the final without him and the Angel of Mary will be interested. Kun Aguero likely starting?

As long as Messi and Higuain keep up their level of play, it probably doesn't matter.

Dartastic

Shout out to Jones, Wood, and Bedoya!
Word.

He is. And he did well, TBH. We were down 3 starters in this game. And we were against literally the best team in the world.
FOX Sports analysis: "They just didn't bring it today."

It's fucking Argentina. And you're the US. Why is anyone shocked here.
I'm not. I expected a loss. I hoped for a better fight than we gave, and honestly that's the one point where Klinsi failed us this game.
For my fellow Americans, do you see Jurgen getting sacked sometime soon?
No. He publically stated that he wanted to achieve this level in the tournament. He did it. We lost to Argentina. That's not something to be ashamed of.

However, I do believe that in this game, with the people missing who were missing, we didn't put out the best 11 to succeed. Buffer for 90 minutes against this team and hope that it goes 1-1 to PKs just wasn't realistic. Once we got some actual pace and attacking presence on the field (Nagbe and Pulisic) we actually started to regain some possession and push. We should have been doing that for far longer than we actually were.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Argentina looked phenomenal as usual. Still stunned by Pocho injuring himself in the most bizarre and pointless fashion. Going into the final without him and the Angel of Mary will be interested. Kun Aguero likely starting?

As long as Messi and Higuain keep up their level of play, it probably doesn't matter.

Martino will probably play Gaitan as the starter for the final, pretty sure he would've been the starter instead of Lavezzi but was suspended for this match.

Cystm

I think you need to watch more USMNT games.

-We basically had no one better to play at LB. Our pool is shallow as fuck.
-We played Beckerman and Bradley together because Jones and Bedoya carded themselves out of this match.
-When we brought Nagbe in for the Colombia match, he was scared out of his fucking mind. He is a truley gifted player and he is going to be huge for us in the next cycle, but he isn't ready yet. Coming into this tournament he has had a total of 6 caps and zero starts.
-Until this game, Bradley hasn't needed to be subbed at all, and even though his performance was bad this match he really wasn't a sub target over the other players needing to be subbed.

gutshot

Do other countries have so much criticism of their youth development after every big loss? I swear every time the US loses on the international stage everyone has to point out how much better the US would be if they had a proper youth scouting and development system in place. As if that is at all relevant to the match that just finished.

The US lost because Argentina is the best team in the world and we were missing 3 starters (4 if you count Altidore).

Martino will probably play Gaitan as the starter for the final, pretty sure he would've been the starter instead of Lavezzi but was suspended for this match.

Forgot about Gaitan's two yellows. That leaves the albiceleste sitting well going forward. Is Aguero injured or just not in form? He's been seeing so little action this tournament.

Vamos, vamos Argentina,
vamos, vamos a ganar,
que esta barra quilombera,
no te deja, no te deja de alentar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom