• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cosmic Star Heroine |OT| Alyssa's Chrono Phantasy

v1.06 is live on Steam.

Fixes a bug where losing a battle, going to the Title Screen, reloading, and then immediately doing a VR Battle messes things up. Unfortunately, this doesn't fix any saves that were broken by this bug, but it does prevent the issue from happening in the future.

Equip the Teamwork (I think) shield for Alyssa. It unlocks them as Programs.

Heroine Shield actually.

jacobeid

Banned
I certainly hope not considering how frank and open you're being here, I presume you would be saying the same thing to anyone if they reached out. Owning the issues in this way is commendable, I fail to see how reasonable people could hold it against you.

Agreed wholeheartedly with this post. Honesty is the best policy and like this poster, I don't see why any reviewer would hold late codes against you or the game.

zakujanai

Just started this up on my 55" TV and it is a thing of beauty. I don't have time to actually get started on it today, that'll have to wait until after work tomorrow.

I'm (almost) pleased that I'm being laid off for a week in May so I can catch up on all the great RPGs coming out.

We got the game out late, review codes out late, so reviewers got the review codes late; if they are reviewing the game, they are either just now getting around to playing it / finishing it and presumably still writing the reviews.

Lack of reviews published out there is really on us, not on reviewers or the press, honestly.

I wish we could have done more sooner. We *want* people to talk openly about the game, there was never any intention to have an embargo or delay review codes or whatever. It's just how the chips fell, and again, it's on us.

I just hope some reviewers/press don't take it as an intentional delay on sending codes or something.

Anyway still have other various issues on the plate so.. hope to see more reviews (hopefully positive) over the next copule weeks, we'll see.

Ah no worries, but Ill be waiting on reviews just to get a general impression :p

I hear the game has its share of bugs, but assuming you guys are dedicated to fixing them now that you're published, it seems the game is set to be well received.

Im just happy to find an RPG out of nowhere like this. I don't play enough of them, but I enjoy the top down/portable like classic RPGs.

but what really sets this apart for me is the sci-fi setting. Not a huge sci fi fan personally, but I absolutely love the look here.

Knurek

Regarding the sidequests to be added later - is it save to just finish the game now and come back to do them whenever they get added?
I think you handled Penny Arcade 3 this way, but I just want to make sure whether it's okay to play the game now, or is it better to wait for the patch.

Robaperas

v1.06 is live on Steam.

Fixes a bug where losing a battle, going to the Title Screen, reloading, and then immediately doing a VR Battle messes things up. Unfortunately, this doesn't fix any saves that were broken by this bug, but it does prevent the issue from happening in the future.

VR Battle? I'm 13 hours in... did I miss something important?

VR Battle? I'm 13 hours in... did I miss something important?

It's just the Battle command from the main menu that lets you repeat battles for extra XP & credits. You don't need to ever use it (I beat the game on the hardest difficulty without it), but we included it because some people like to grind in their RPGs.

Robaperas

It's just the Battle command from the main menu that lets you repeat battles for extra XP & credits. You don't need to ever use it (I beat the game on the hardest difficulty without it), but we included it because some people like to grind in their RPGs.

Oh... I think I used it once just to check what it was, the green tint made it look like an MGS VR mission :p

Thanks for answering so quickly!

okay so I'm at the point of no return I think, and I have a bunch of questions I was hoping people could answer:

1st planet:

1. Guy who is getting arrested in Gehenna said something about a warehouse, don't know what he meant, but I thought for some reason he was talking about the door in the southwest corner of the town, but it still isn't open, anyone know anything about this?

2. Girl I gave a bunch of money to in Gehenna, she was supposed to open a shop or something? When/where does this happen?

3. Is there anything to do at skybreaker systems?

4. Can you ever go into Volt?

2nd planet:

5. In the scary place you do early in the game, when you go back later there is an elevator Dave says he can't hack. Also, there seems to be some kind of ghost thing at the beginning when you walk in. Anything on these?

6. How do you get that Ron guy out of the jail in the sheriffs office?

general:

7. What does "burst" mean?

8. Is there anything you are supposed to do with bagmen?

9. Also, how/where do I do Dave and Psybe's sidequests? They aren't really telling me anything on the ship...

These are all questions I have as well... Glad to see I'm not alone.

Moze

Banned
I'm an idiot and don't understand things. I am EU and preloaded the game but I have been hearing it is not the full game. Do I redownload the game or will the patch just fix it all?

Have yet to start the game yet.

I'm an idiot and don't understand things. I am EU and preloaded the game but I have been hearing it is not the full game. Do I redownload the game or will the patch just fix it all?

Have yet to start the game yet.
Patch will fix it. There are a couple rare bugs and a text repeating glitch in 1.01. Other than that it's fully playable.
NA PSN has 1.02 and it fixes most of the bugs and glitches.

Ricker

Patch will fix it. There are a couple rare bugs and a text repeating glitch in 1.01. Other than that it's fully playable.
NA PSN has 1.02 and it fixes most of the bugs and glitches.

Yep...the very finnicky poison bug is still there though,at least I am pretty sure thats what causes the freeze...besides that,just played for 2 hours with no problems(PS4)...and the Whats New section on the PSN still doesnt work for this game.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Game crashed at the
Kaiju fight
:( (PS4)

Demonfang

Banned
Really want to support this title but don't want to jump in just yet with some bug issues (UK here)

Quick question about this poison bug - is that present in 1.02 patch?

Game looks amazing by the way.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

I know man, so freaking brilliant.

It totally "balances" the game from ever wondering "Am I under leveled or over leveled for this boss? I won't know until I start hitting him and see if I can win". Every RPG needs this. Figure out how many battles I'm supposed to have under my belt by each boss that I encounter and don't force me through more than I need, but still give me the option to grind if I want to play my game that way.

Bravely Default/Second is the only other RPG I've played that comes close to this idea of balancing the game. In Second, they just straight up tell you "You need to be between Lv 12-15 for this area" at the bottom of the screen - and you can set the encounter rate if you're over/under to stay within those levels or exceed them. What CSH does is more elegant than that!

Timeaisis

I can tell you guys that Burst means "expend all your style on this ability". It is my understanding that higher style = higher damage (I mean, that's true all the time). But even more true with burst abilities.

Z3M0G

Purchased last night. I was gonna wait for the Vita version but I can see that now is the time to support this game. I can't wait to jump into it, but I may only really get to sink my teeth into it when the vita version releases.

You guys said that the Vita version needed a unique engine. Does that mean that the bug fixes so far may not cross over easily to that platform? I assume it will have its own set of surprises, obviously.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Game crashed at the
Kaiju fight
:( (PS4)

Can you try something for me? Can you try and win that fight with the last ability used (thus defeating that enemy) being like the Sword or the Punch? Ie not the cannon?

See if it gets past it? We have a feeling that crash may be due to that one ability, possibly, but we haven't confirmed yet

Really want to support this title but don't want to jump in just yet with some bug issues (UK here)

Quick question about this poison bug - is that present in 1.02 patch?

Game looks amazing by the way.

Thanks!

We thought we fixed the poison bug with the last Patch for PS4 NA (we didn't, not quite fully), but Robert discovered something that may have affected it and I believe he tweaked the fix for that. Hoping it resolves it. But iirc there's not a console patch (NA or EU) that has the latest poison fix in. We're hoping to get some of that up soon, like in the next 24 or 48 hours.

If you're on EU version we hope to get another patch out ASAP just because it fixes a lot of gripes like repeating dialogue and things. But it's OK to begin playing, we just will have something better soon.

Purchased last night. I was gonna wait for the Vita version but I can see that now is the time to support this game. I can't wait to jump into it, but I may only really get to sink my teeth into it when the vita version releases.

You guys said that the Vita version needed a unique engine. Does that mean that the bug fixes so far may not cross over easily to that platform? I assume it will have its own set of surprises, obviously.

The Vita version doesn't need a new engine; it runs Unity and we've got the engine running on the Vita very well, so, you can expect when we turn our focus to Vita it will have all these fixes carried over. The main thing with Vita is we'll have to make sure nothing we did on PS4 or PC goofs up on Vita, and, we'll need to do some compression to get the file sizes down. On those notes we have some devs that might help us directly so we'll see. Right now we're focused on getting PC, PS4 versions in top shape quickly.

Stalwart

Really happy to see all the love Rob and Bill are giving this post-release considering how long this has been in development, I'm sure they just want a break at this point. I ended up buying it on release even though I thought Persona would keep me from it
but since I've already waited this long I'll jump in whenever achievements go up.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
The updates are coming fast and furious! Super awesome how much support you dudes are giving for even little text fixes. Great to see =)

I haven't gotten far in yet, but will probably start in earnest this weekend. Been splitting time between P5 and Bayonetta (for like the 5th time, but now on PC), and this seems like a wonderful palate cleanser from the fairly rote Persona 5 combat and the frantic bombast of Bayonetta.

gunstarhero

What does Style do exactly?

BTW - this game is amazing! Phantasy Star 2 is one of my favorite games ever made, and seeing the references here and there is soooo good.

The pacing so far is seriously one of the best in any JRPG I've ever played. That's not hyperbolic - it starts off so good and doesn't slow down. Really great job Robert!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
What does Style do exactly?

BTW - this game is amazing! Phantasy Star 2 is one of my favorite games ever made, and seeing the references here and there is soooo good.

The pacing so far is seriously one of the best in any JRPG I've ever played. That's not hyperbolic - it starts off so good and doesn't slow down. Really great job Robert!
I believe style is a damage multiplier that you pump up as you vary your attacks -- and it works for both you and enemies.

Mwahaha! Steam patch is live!

Steam v1.07
Fixed an issue where poison could soft-lock combat in certain situations.
Fixed an issue where repeat effects like songs could soft-lock combat in certain situations.
Fixed a bug that occurred if you defeat Blobmith with a projectile attack.

Will also submit it for PS4 ASAP.

It's not that the Vita version needed a new engine, it's that I needed to rewrite a lot of my code to increase efficiency so that it would run well on the Vita. Of course, any additional changes I make to get it to run properly on Vita could introduce new bugs, but it's still the same engine & codebase.

Pulled the trigger on this today and man am I glad I did! To say the combat is a breath of fresh air would be an understatement, it feels like a true innovation of turn based jrpg gameplay and I'm having a ton of fun with it.

Unfortunately about 2 hours in I got a soft lock because an enemy died from poison, but it seems like the patch for that is coming soon, so that's cool.

So yeah, definitely going to be putting some time into this, really digging everything about it so far, gameplay, characters, world, music. I'm hooked.

zakujanai

Can anyone recommend a difficulty tier to start this on? I'm generally more about the story in RPGs but I've enjoyed the mechanics in the other Zeboyd games, will I be missing out if I don't play on Heroine?

I beat P4G on normal but switched to easy for 5 with no regrets so far. The former required a bit too much grinding and the very last boss required lot of luck. I did beat Cold Steel on Nightmare but only on NG++ once I'd broken the game.

Basically, I'm in it for story and not the challenge, but don't want to be able to bypass strategy completely.

Gumbie

I doubled dipped and bought the PS4 version to show you guys some love. One weird thing I noticed is when I compared the PC and PS4 version the PC version looks zoomed in more and maybe a little blurry. On the PS4 version it looks zoomed out a little more and much crisper/brighter. I don't know if it has anything to do with anything but at the title screen on PC the system option is at the very bottom of the screen is almost cut off a little bit. I can still see it and select it but it looks off. This is running at fullscreen on a geforce 1080 with scaling done by my TV.

All settings on the TV are identical and both are upscaling 4k according to my TV.

These aren't my screenshots but they are a good of example of what I'm talking about

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/206396

Just tried it again side by side with the PS4 version and the PC version is zoomed in more for some reason. I tried it on my PC monitor and my TV just to make sure it wasn't the display doing it. I prefer the zoomed out wider field of view on the PS4 but maybe the view on PC is the intended one. Just thought I'd let you guys know in case it's some sort of bug. I can provide pics or video if needed.

I suspect it's something on just my PC and for some reason it's being zoomed. Here's a picture of my title screen. Notice how system at the bottom is cut off because of it being zoomed in.

IMG_1465_zpsbfzyq96n.jpg

Are the black borders supposed to be there around the entire image? I can't find a setting that gets rid of them.

BpnERWx.png

I4Dxn7l.png

It has these in 1280x720 and 1920x1080, fullscreen. Some standard Acer monitor at 1920x1080, Windows 10, desktop.

Note: the white lines are just me poorly cropping the screenshot in paint.

Freeman76

It's today in less than 2 hours, I hope it gives the game a little more exposure, because it's a great game.

It really does deserve a lot of coverage. I even find myself enjoying talking to all the little random characters dotted around, they all have interesting and often relevant things to say, with a few little nods to gaming culture in there as well.

With this and The Sexy Brutale, we have 2 classic indies in the same week!

I started on Super-Spy and just finished the introduction... this game has a SOLID battle system! Love how items are permanent and the charging/guard abilities create a ton of risk/reward situations. This difficulty, so far, really brings out the best of the game. Unless it gets ridiculous later, idk lol

Timeaisis

I started on Super-Spy and just finished the introduction... this game has a SOLID battle system! Love how items are permanent and the charging/guard abilities create a ton of risk/reward situations. This difficulty, so far, really brings out the best of the game. Unless it gets ridiculous later, idk lol

I Haven't played extensively on Super Spy yet (I have another save waiting for that one), but Heroine is one of the most well-balanced RPG difficulty curves I've ever experienced in an RPG. It's difficult, but fair. And the fact that you don't really grind (well, unless you really want to) means that every battle is a challenge.

jacobeid

Banned

jacobeid said:
I haven't played CSH yet, (bought it today though!) but I can imagine one quick look on Giant Bomb or something like that would boost sales and word of mouth exponentially. Not even some of my most "hardcore" friends know about this release, partially due to the crowded schedule. Wait until everything settles and try to get a big marketing push, if possible. It only takes one industry figurehead championing your game to succeed in a big way.

I hope that my prediction is correct!

Edit: they seem super positive on it within the first few minutes. I really do think this alone will boost sales, and hopefully for your sake there's a snowball effect after that :)

Skulldead

!0 hour here so far it's amazing. don't need to grind, i would have in some moment, but it's really well balance.

I decide to test but enemies seem to never cap in style on spy, their damage always increases...or i just never been able to reach the cap. Someone can confirm this ?

Top Bottom