• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT| The bomb has been planted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divius

Played a game of Nuke yesterday that we won convincingly and one of my teammates Zeus'd an enemy 4 times, shit was hilarious.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Here are the details for what guns are used most often:

Pistol: P2000, USP-S, Glock, P250, CZ, Five-Seven.
SMG: PP-Bizon, P90.
Rifle: M4A1, M4A1-S, AK-47, AWP, Expensive Auto Snipers, Galil, Famas.

These are the guns that are used most often during CS:GO competitive gameplay. You want to get better with these weapons. For the majority of the game, you want to stick with M4A1, and AK-47's. On save rounds, it is recommended to use the CZ, or the P250 instead of the default gun because your enemy will be wearing full armor during your save round.

So am I a scrub for using the AUG and SG 553? :(

CoolS

They're not bad, but since they basically do the same as the AK/M4, you should only use them if your economy is really good since they are more expensive. Or if you have use for the scope, some pros actually used in on cobblestone at ESL because of that.

Personally, I don't like them.

Wunder

There are limited cases where an Aug/SG are better than a m4/ak, at least for me personally, scoping down long hallways or open corridors is probably where they shine the most for me, but I don't like em just for the fact that they cost a lot of money. They are pretty good spray guns though, at close-mid range I find.

Anders mentioned something about their talk with the developers and the CZ yesterday on Twitch. The way I understood it, it seems like the devs are set on keeping the CZ for the time being. We'll probably just have to wait.

I find the AWP change strange, I always thought it is pretty balanced as is.
Damn stubborn arent't they. CZ is a gun that doesn't really belong in the game with the amount of damage it does with that firerate.

So I was thinking, isn't there a huge flaw in the family sharing feature that Steam has? I was just on a second (dev) account where I barely have any games. But CSGO shows up as installed because my primary account has it. So when I authorised the family sharing with that account, I could just start CS:GO et voila: smurf account was born.

What this means is that anyone can make as much accounts as they want, only pay for CS:GO once (or any other game) and smurf (and potentially even cheat as much as they want, since it probably doesn't care about VAC bans). Am I missing something here or is this really a big oversight?

Edit: nvm the cheaters, I just read that Family Sharing is disabled for VAC banned accounts.

Strider

So I was thinking, isn't there a huge flaw in the family sharing feature that Steam has? I was just on a second (dev) account where I barely have any games. But CSGO shows up as installed because my primary account has it. So when I authorised the family sharing with that account, I could just start CS:GO et voila: smurf account was born.

What this means is that anyone can make as much accounts as they want, only pay for CS:GO once (or any other game) and smurf (and potentially even cheat as much as they want, since it probably doesn't care about VAC bans). Am I missing something here or is this really a big oversight?

I believe you have access to the game on a shared account but you can't actually play comp matches unless you own the game yourself.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I like how they closed off hut on a site at overpass, makes it much easier to try and retake the site.

Also we took a castle match pretty convincingly (14-1) until we got over to ct and had to struggle for those last two wins lol.

Haroon

I don't recommend using them at all while you're learning the game. Chances are that your aim is probably not as accurate as the players that are currently playing this game professionally. You're better of using the AK, or the M4 instead of using AUG/SG553. You will gain much more benefit from mastering them instead of attempting to master all of the guns at the same time. Most players don't even need to master the AWP at all. It is a powerful weapon, but a good player with AK, or M4 can easily defeat the AWP. It has far too many weaknesses.

I suppose that I should also add that during a clutch situation, or during a situation in which you are trying to take over a bombsite, and defuse the bomb. It is highly advised to pick up a Rifle instead of using an AWP. An AWP is a powerful weapon, but you don't know if your teammates that were covering that bombsite damaged their enemies. If they did, you're better off using a rifle because it will take less bullets to kill them and therefore, making it easier for you to win the round.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Hmm Time to buy some M4 and AK skins and get better with them!

I guess I am just attracted to the scopes on the gun, though there has been times where I have died because my peripheral vision has been compromised looking down the scope.

Just won my 10 games of competitive to get my rank which is 2 stars. (is that right?)

CoolS

Hmm Time to buy some M4 and AK skins and get better with them!

I guess I am just attracted to the scopes on the gun, though there has been times where I have died because my peripheral vision has been compromised looking down the scope.

Just won my 10 games of competitive to get my rank which is 2 stars. (is that right?)

2 Gold Stars? That's gold nova 2 and actually pretty good for the beginning.

danielcw

Most players don't even need to master the AWP at all. It is a powerful weapon, but a good player with AK, or M4 can easily defeat the AWP. It has far too many weaknesses.

Which weaknesses?
How should one approach this kind of situation?
What if you do not have grenades?

I fear AWPs, but often the AWP does not target that well,
but when he does, I am toast.

soultron

Banned
I don't recommend using them at all while you're learning the game. Chances are that your aim is probably not as accurate as the players that are currently playing this game professionally. You're better of using the AK, or the M4 instead of using AUG/SG553. You will gain much more benefit from mastering them instead of attempting to master all of the guns at the same time. Most players don't even need to master the AWP at all. It is a powerful weapon, but a good player with AK, or M4 can easily defeat the AWP. It has far too many weaknesses.

I suppose that I should also add that during a clutch situation, or during a situation in which you are trying to take over a bombsite, and defuse the bomb. It is highly advised to pick up a Rifle instead of using an AWP. An AWP is a powerful weapon, but you don't know if your teammates that were covering that bombsite damaged their enemies. If they did, you're better off using a rifle because it will take less bullets to kill them and therefore, making it easier for you to win the round.

Yeah, I'd say newer players are going to be at a disadvantage if they pick up an AWP but don't know how/when is best to use it. My rule of thumb is I only use the AWP in defensive situations or when I want to get picks or just simply getting information. If I'm ever going aggressive, trying to (re)take an area or go for a defuse, I'm 95%-of-the-time going to swap it for something else.

About your point if teammates have damaged any remaining enemies in situations where you need to push, I agree 100%; the AWP is almost overkill since a different weapon can do the needed damage and also give you more chances (more rounds per second) to kill an enemy and afford you more mobility and peripheral awareness than the AWP.

I think the thing that makes the best AWPers great is that they know when to drop or pick one up.

Haroon

Which weaknesses?
How should one approach this kind of situation?
What if you do not have grenades?

I fear AWPs, but often the AWP does not target that well,
but when he does, I am toast.

The AWP can be countered in various situations. The sniper can be smoked out so, he has a difficult time trying to aim at enemies that are rushing at the site. If people throw smoke at his location, he will need to change it immediately. If he does not, he is screwed. This opens up an opportunity for the team that is rushing to simply kill the sniper that is attempting to escape the smoked location. The smoke is one of the most important tools that allow you to shut down a good sniper. A smoke is usually enough to counter a sniper. Other than that, you can use other tactics that also work on riflemen to take out the sniper. Flashes, Molotov's, etc...

There are three ways to counter the person sniping when you have no grenades.

1. You can jiggle peak the sniper to make him miss a shot. Jiggle peaking is simply strafing left, and right (or right, and left) enough to show a small part of your body. So, the sniper will attempt to kill you because you're annoying him. This will also provide you with useful information regarding the positioning of the CT's as well.

2. Instead of peaking a corner, you could simply run a little bit further ahead. That will throw some of the snipers off because if they're double zoomed on a place, it will be very difficult for them to readjust their aim towards you. You can also jump out of the corner, and run further up ahead. It's really up to you to know when to stop. Exposing yourself is always a risk, but it's a good way to avoid getting hit by the sniper.

3. If you know the position of the sniper, you could simply pick out, and aim at the spot where the sniper will be hiding. Good players tend to switch up the spots on how they're watching a specific site so, it is a bit risky to do this maneuver.

Most of these tactics require you to expose yourself to another enemy that may be watching the same place. So, you're taking a bit of a risk in order to kill the sniper, but if you trade kills, it will be worth it in the end. Especially if the sniper is good.

Clydefrog

I like how they closed off hut on a site at overpass, makes it much easier to try and retake the site.

Also we took a castle match pretty convincingly (14-1) until we got over to ct and had to struggle for those last two wins lol.

what the hell are you doing playing comp on de_castle?

K.Sabot

Mist is a very fun map. That's all I have to say about it though.

Insertion is also very fun, but would be impossible to balance.

MutFox

Banned
Insertion is really cool.
Like how the hostages keep changing locations,
so the map always has to be played differently.

Sort reminds me of Havana in CS:S.
Though in Havana each round the doors and walls would change... haha...

soultron

Banned
Mist would be bordering on playable if not for the awful audio. Maps that are vertically overlapping do not work well with CS/Source's 2D (x- and y-axes) positional audio.

ironmang

Only competitive mission I got on a normal map was my first one on inferno. Rest have been a mix of casual or competitive on new maps. Even deathmatch ones are negev and other pointless guns. Plus the drops really, really suck.

Can't complain too much though since the cases have paid for the coin like 4 times over lol.

danielcw

Because it's garbage in competitive.

I am not saying that the map does not have issues,
but me and 2 of my friends with who I play CS:GO competitive really love the map.
We play it casual or competitive all the time.
And any balancing issues are compensated by both teams having to play both sides anyway.
I think the map works best, if one of the hostages is in the yellow building

That was some bullshit. I was getting so close to just... exploding.

And yeah, Overgrown, Castle, and Black Gold are pretty good. I'd like Mist more if the sound in this game was better.

I apologise for asking something that's probably been asked a lot but choosing between M4A4/M4A1-S is personal preference, right? I don't think it's like the C275.

MutFox

Banned
People will hate the new maps until some pro team shows how it's played.
Or until they learn it.

Dust 2 is over 10 years old, of course people are going to love what's familiar.

MutFox

Banned
The amount of paths in Mist makes it fun,
though it does have a learning curve.

Once learned, you can get to a lot of locations quick.

It's also a good map for Shotguns and SMG's in some areas.

Wunder

I apologise for asking something that's probably been asked a lot but choosing between M4A4/M4A1-S is personal preference, right? I don't think it's like the C275.

Yeah, there are differences - the A4 has a bigger clip and overall more ammo but the A1-S has less recoil and is silenced, which sometimes confuses your opponents. It mainly depends on where and what role you play, if you like to play in the back and like to pick off people running in, A1-S is your best bet. If you prefer to play up close and love spraying through smokes and/or getting huge entry frags, the A4 is probably the gun for you. I like to wallbang and spray a lot so I primarily use the A4, although it's also good to practice with both, just in case you get dropped and you get the other model.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
not even the same.

breakout maps are poop. how could you like them? i'd rather play Library all day
All 6 are fun in casual, particularly Insertion. Overgrown works in comp, the rest I usually avoid in comp unless I have a mission for one.

Oh, I think maps like Black Gold and Rush don't work in comp at all, but since I've been spending most of my time in casual, I'm not too worried about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom