• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT| The bomb has been planted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lack of iron sight aiming also feels like it should have been in game.
I can confirm lack of iron sight aiming is in the game.

Do you guys think we will see support for this game like we did for TF2?

If yes, will that translate to the console versions as well?
I am not expecting much support if any for the console version but I'd like to be pleasantly surprised. I'm sure the PC version will get a ton.

Is there any way to change the default controller mapping on 360?
Yes, dig around in the menus and you'll find it. You can remap pretty much everything.

Arnie

So far my impression is luke warm. I think the game does some things well, but graphically and from an animation stand point this game feels dated. Control wise it also feels like a PC game ported to a console (which I understand it is). Things like "toggle to walk or run" just scream PC keyboard play. Analogue movement is so much better, I really wish that had been incorporated. Lack of iron sight aiming also feels like it should have been in game.

Can't agree with this.

Walking's such an integral part of CS that I'm fucking ecstatic they didn't relegate the function to just part of the analogue movement. I mapped Walk to LT personally, I see it as that important. I like to hold it when I'm moving through indoor areas, like the apartment in Italy, etc, so my enemies don't know I'm coming. And it's a great way to steady your aim.

You can't rely on the analogue stick in the same way as a hard button. And it's not 'toggle', by the way, it's hold.

Can't agree with this.

Walking's such an integral part of CS that I'm fucking ecstatic they didn't relegate the function to just part of the analogue movement. I mapped Walk to LT personally, I see it as that important. I like to hold it when I'm moving through indoor areas, like the apartment in Italy, etc, so my enemies don't know I'm coming. And it's a great way to steady your aim.

You can't rely on the analogue stick in the same way as a hard button. And it's not 'toggle', by the way, it's hold.
I did too, I think it's a good feature to have especially when rounding corners.

You can set it to a toggle too, which is what I did.

equil

The skill level of people playing on xbox is incredibly low lol. Im ranked 82 in competitive, and this is the first real CS i actually really played.

Game is amazing other than the matchmaking issue.

.la1n

Enjoying the game so far, having just as much fun playing on Steam as I am with my friends who only have the PS3 version. Graphics aren't as nice on the PS3 but so far I have experienced no lag issues. Using a keyboard and mouse feels great as well.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The only difference that I've noticed since the PS3 patch is that once it attempted to connect to Steam. Hopefully that means the full integration is coming.

Dlacy13g

Can't agree with this.

Hey its just one man's opinion. I do get I am in the minority on my view of the game here on Gaf. As for the walking toggle bit. I think this easily could have been done well via analogue movement. Slight push forward gets you walking...all the way forward you are running. ducking clearly would also toggle walking on. Why did we have to have two button functions essentially putting us in a walk mode?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
The only bad thing in this game is the fucking stupid annoying vote system. The fuck were they thinking? They really need to fix that shit.

T lost 2 rounds - scramble Teams -> whole match starts again

or some assholes trying to randomly kick people.

Arnie

Hey its just one man's opinion. I do get I am in the minority on my view of the game here on Gaf. As for the walking toggle bit. I think this easily could have been done well via analogue movement. Slight push forward gets you walking...all the way forward you are running. ducking clearly would also toggle walking on. Why did we have to have two button functions essentially putting us in a walk mode?

Walk mode is a huge part of the game though, and it needs to be used in high pressure situations. Any slight release of the walk mode would create a footstep sound and make any attempt to suppress your movement worthless. It's too important a feature to have it rely on a wholly unreliable method of input.

Analogue would work, but it's nowhere near consistent enough to be a solution. The way I and others have it, on the trigger, you don't have to think about it and it's 100% consistent in high pressure situations. Having it on the analogue stick just isn't as good a solution.

The only thing I can think of, and this isn't a dig or meant snobbishly, but perhaps you're just new to CS and don't yet understand how integral walking is.

The only bad thing in this game is the fucking stupid annoying vote system. The fuck were they thinking? They really need to fix that shit.

T lost 2 rounds - scramble Teams -> whole match starts again

or some assholes trying to randomly kick people.

Agreed, its started to stand out alot to me now, i can also see official servers becoming dust, dust, dust....dust.

hyduK

Banned
great post from reddit regarding CS as a whole:

I'm going to give my opinion, but here's the premise: I've played CS for about 8-9 years now. I only moved to Source last year but didn't like it at all and now I'm playing GO.
First: HE Grenade 'issue' people seem to be talking about. The HE Grenade doesn't function like your regular grenades in CoD or BF. It isn't meant to instantly kill people. The main criticism of this is that it "Isn't realistic". Well CS isn't meant to be realistic, it's meant to be competitive and precise. If you want this game to be realistic then you're not going to enjoy it at all, tell me how I can fire my AWP, switch to a knife and then back to the AWP and then have the bolt already pulled? The game isn't meant to be realistic. Think about if HE grenades functioned like they did in CoD: you would get every man and his dog lobbing senseless grenades getting cheap kills. That's NOT what this game is about, which is why there isn't a grenade launcher either. This game is about precise accuracy, team co-ordination and sound. Which brings me to my next point, the closer a HE grenade explodes to you, the more your sound gets impaired and sound is critical in this game. Sound gives away an enemies location, you can time the footsteps to deduce what gun that enemy MAY be using (i.e. If he is sporting an AWP the footsteps are sluggish), you can hear a reload, you can hear the particular gun he is using if he fires it (each gun has a unique sound). This is why a HE grenade is balanced: you deal some damage AND you can damage the enemies hearing for a short time. While the flashbang is more effective with regards to this disorientating function, the HE grenade deals damage and has a minor disorientation function.
Second: The guns.
I disagree with all the statements claiming many of the guns are useless (except the Bizon, that thing sucks). Sure, a game will often revolve around the AK, M4 and AWP a lot, but I like to think that this should always be the case: it's kind of like how in Starcraft you 'tech up' to the effective tier of lategame units. That's what those guns are for me, the final tier. However, the other guns are superb and I can often outplay people who can't use those weapons effectively. I posted this in a thread within our little subreddit so I'm going to copy+paste it here:
In particular, I love the new CT shotgun, the MAG-7. It gives you $900 per kill and only costs $2000, with exceptional damage at close-range and even comparable damage at mid-range (for a shotgun). This is personally one of my favourite guns in GO atm because it's so fun to use and looks awesome.
I was also surprised at how effective the P90 is. It gives you $900 per kill, costs $2350, but has a ridiculously tiny spread. It's deadly at mid and even long range. It's just amazing for stacking money to purchase weapons for your team. It's actually a great gun for new players too, because you don't have to tap-fire as much (i.e. you can hold a burst for longer and suffer less penalty than with something like an AK or M4).
The FAMAS has also received quite a good buff. The burst function of the FAMAS feels deadly at mid-long range when I aim for the head. Using the burst function reduces the recoil penalty somewhat (though bullets take a bit longer to reach their destination compared to a player controlled burst). A headshot with this gun's burst feature is an instant kill irrespective of a helmet, so if you have good accuracy use this beast. Though many players often swap it out for more powerful guns later on (AK, M4, Deagle, AWP, P90, etc.) it really feels more deadly in GO.
While the AK, M4 and AWP are still perhaps the 'best' guns to use in general, they are no longer the only viable choice, especially because the reward you get from scoring a kill with them pales in comparison to the reward you get with other weapons. For example it is riskier to go for an AWP because you are only rewarded $50. Thus, it becomes harder to purely save enough frag money up from an AWP to rebuy one if you lose it. Additionally, if you use an AWP it becomes harder to gain extra cash to purchase weapons for your team. Of course, a skilled AWP user can still decimate an entire team, but the negative outcomes of using an AWP have been increased with the reduced monetary rewards. Same goes for the AK and the M4.
Thirdly: The maps:
I like them. I've played CS for so long that it was nice that some of the maps got a facelift and minor changes. Some of them, like Dust, needed to be rebalanced which I think was achieved somewhat.
Fourth: Molotovs/Incendiary:
Fuck yes, what a great addition to grenade selection. You can control the movement of an entire team with this. You can cut off reinforcements. You can delay defusal. It's so much fun and makes for some interesting gameplay.
Fifth: Graphics:
I've never really cared too much about the quality of textures for competitive games, but it was nice to have an updated CS. It looks a bit better than Source, but feels more like 1.6, which is great!
Sixth: The competitive scene:
Okay so this is my biggest gripe with the game. I'm in the DotA 2 beta. The interface for DotA 2 is amazing: it integrates the esports side of the game within the client itself. You can watch live games, stream tournaments, stream casters, watch replays, etc. What did CS get? None of that. I was expecting big things from GO because of what I saw in DotA 2. DotA 2 makes it so easy to support the esports community AND participate in it. But in GO we have a server browser and quick matchmaking which doesn't seem to have any real ranking system in place. Sure, we have a leaderboard, but that's it. I wanted streams, tournaments, ladders and everything that would fit so well with what CS is all about: competition! But we got nothing, and for that I am severely disappointed. I put in 200+ hours into the GO beta. Months ago I kept telling myself that something big was coming, but it never did. Very disappointed, the game could have been a massive part of the scene, but now I fear it's just subsidiary.
Seventh: Skins+Voices:
I did NOT like them at the start. Especially the T skins in office. But then I realised: the skins match the setting/context of the map. After realising that I kind of began to enjoy them (though I do miss picking l337 kr3w for every map :p). My favourite has to be the British SAS with the little Union Jack on their outfit ("WE'RE IN THE CLEAR, LADS!"). All the voices are different for each skin, which is, for the most part, excellent (excluding the Office T's). I also like that each grenade has a different voice clip attached to it (much better than "fire in the hole!"). I like that when you see a grenade incoming your character will automatically call it out. All good stuff in this department.
To the new players:
I've stomped people in games that call me a 'hacker', or say that the game is unfair, or that the game is too hard without ironsights, or that hitboxes are too small to hit a head. It's all excuses for being a bad player. If you're new to the game you're going to play shit for a while, this isn't an FPS you can pick up quickly like CoD or BF. This is a game that takes practice. I was shit for years, and now I can finally say with confidence that I'm pretty decent, good even. After 8+ years of this game I'm just 'good'. That's how it is. This game doesn't need big changes, this will ruin its chance at having a good competitive scene: I despise games like LoL and HoN where they release a new hero every second week to capitalise on the buzz - that's stupid because the metagame is thrust forcefully into changing and there's no time to work out the real deep intricacies of what is currently available. This game has had years of experience which culminated in its release. They learnt that it ruins the competitive scene to make the game too casual with massive hitboxes and low recoil. They also learned that the competitive scene can grow stale if the only decent guns in the game remained the same. They've balanced GO very well and it shouldn't change just because there's a new influx of people who can't handle the fact that they are playing an FPS that doesn't rely on farming points to unlock the best shit: it's a game predicated on playing smart. I bet every person new to this game who complains about the hitboxes of the head runs around with their gun pointed below the head -this is a mistake that costs you critical milliseconds of time because you need to readjust your aim to the head. If you change little things in your playstyle and get better it will feel immensely rewarding!
To the old players:
This game is like an updated version of 1.6. But there's going to be those of you who are too stubborn to change. That happens with a lot of games. Nothing new is never as good as the original. To those people there's no convincing. But to the people who have played 1.6 and have an open mind this game is good. Play it. That's it.
I'm not going to conclude with a TL;DR because if you really cared about the topic you would read my post. But I will conclude by saying that a lot of people aren't going to like CS. Many new players will hate it because it's 'too hard', when in reality they cannot accept that they are bad at the game and are just too used to having their hands held by other FPS games. Many old players will denounce it because it isn't 1.6, and to that I cannot say anything: if you love 1.6 so much you are unwilling to try anything else then you should just stick with 1.6. There's going to be people who say this is just a copy+paste of Source and they are fools. This game takes the best of 1.6 and Source and smashes it together. This is my favourite game ATM. But it needs to improve how it presents the competitive scene, or else it won't last like DotA 2.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/ynv1g/now_that_csgo_is_out_lets_discuss/c5xbzt9

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I disagree with all the statements claiming many of the guns are useless (except the Bizon, that thing sucks).

The unequivocal truth. It's as though Valve/HPE saw The Simpsons episode where McBane says "I cannot avenge my partner's death with this pea shooter" and decided to build a weapon around it.

interesting post. the mag-7 has quickly become one of my faves too. i've always thought the p90 was a great weapon, one of the best spray weapons, but not really one of the guns i like. haven't gotten around to trying out the famas yet or many of the other guns, but one thing that i do like is the new system that weaker guns reward more money with kills. i'm not really sure if it will have an effect on people saving between rounds vs buying a cheap weapon, but its still an interesting mechanic.

shame about the bizon. haven't tried it yet, what in particular sucks about it?

i hope to see an in-depth article detailing all the weapons, if one wasn't done already.

chiablo

What's the best weapon in this game?

Counter-Terrorists use the M4.
Terrorists use the AK-47.

For me, the best weapon is inverted from the above... if you are Terrorist, grab the CT assault rifle and vice versa. The reason being is that if there is a Terrorist and he hears another AK-47, he will assume it is a friendly, not realizing that it is me shooting at him.

solidus51

Banned
People shouldn't dog on the console controls without trying them first. You can clearly map walk to l3 button. All of the debating for the controls make no sense. The ps3 has a lot of control options and buttons on the pad.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Counter-Terrorists use the M4.
Terrorists use the AK-47.

For me, the best weapon is inverted from the above... if you are Terrorist, grab the CT assault rifle and vice versa. The reason being is that if there is a Terrorist and he hears another AK-47, he will assume it is a friendly, not realizing that it is me shooting at him.

Smart people use the radar ;)

Since when did CS ever have iron sights? Why are people even talking about it? It's not necessary to the series. What would it add, short of pressing another key before shooting, and looking kind of cool?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Come here to say this, iron sights would take away much of the skill element from CS.
It's kind of funny, I do a lot better in this without iron sights or aim assist than I do in most other multiplayer games. I just can't get down the irons like most people can whereas here I can control my shots or crouch if need be. I never feel like a kill is BS either.

It's kind of funny, I do a lot better in this without iron sights or aim assist than I do in most other multiplayer games. I just can't get down the irons like most people can whereas here I can control my shots or crouch if need be. I never feel like a kill is BS either.

It's usually because you always aim for perfection whereas other players who prefer casual gameplay usually play as shit and aim assist brings them to the level of perfection. When they jump to CS with no iron-sight or aim assists, their level of play will still be shit whereas your level of play with stay where it was and improve.

Arnie

Oh god can you imagine how bad it would be if this game had iron sights.

They pretty much strip out all the skill in aiming.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's usually because you always aim for perfection whereas other players who prefer casual gameplay usually play as shit and aim assist brings them to the level of perfection. When they jump to CS with no iron-sight or aim assists, their level of play will still be shit whereas your level of play with stay where it was and improve.
Probably true. I tried playing Bf3 for a while without Aim Assist and I sucked even worse, although it felt so much better.

That cant join matchmaking with friends in a lobby is driving me crazy.

The voting is dumb as hell.

But god damn i love me some Counter Strike.

Also im a strictly console gamer. And i have no poblem with the aiming. Wish more games would remove aim assist, really expands the skill gap.

I'm pretty bad at CS:GO. Gonna give it another chance. I used to be good at CS, source and 1.6/earlier. I'd consider myself very good at old CS, which I should have been because I played it every day for 8+hours from Version 6 (whenever that was, early 2000?) ... up and well past the 1.6 release. I was completely obsessed.

And yeah I just sucked hard at CS:GO. I will never ever be as good as I used to be, ever ever, but, I am ready to play

I wish old style Gun Game was back, with the original weapon progression. I miss the callouts too, the "gotcha bitch!" and "player is on nade level" stuff

Clydefrog

I miss the old CS betas. Those were the best days of CS.

does this game have a map editor?

can we drive vehicles like we did in cs_siege (lol dat tank)

TGMIII

They really need to do something with the sound direction, it's so off. I can hear people so far away yet it sounds like they're directly beside me.

feel

Won my first 2 games. Quite proud of that. (Arms Race)

Also, is the fact that the game runs over 200FPS bad for my graphics card?
Probably not good having it do that extra work that you won't be able to see anyways.

I think you can cap it with "fps_max 60" on the console (replace 60 with your monitor's native refresh rate if it's different)

I miss the old CS betas. Those were the best days of CS.

does this game have a map editor?

can we drive vehicles like we did in cs_siege (lol dat tank)

Yes there is a map editor(library -> tools -> Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - SDK) and no, no vehicle because func_vehicle is not implemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom