• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT| The bomb has been planted

Status
Not open for further replies.

garath

Valve needs to:
1. Ban shitty servers from the competitive playlists (pinion white label).
2. Fix ELO. Tired of getting matched with people who have no game sense. Stop running in front of me when I'm awping. Stop getting me killed by blocking me from the side/behind.

Come on Valve... if you want to bridge 1.6 and Source players at least make the game work.

That ELO system needs to start kicking in. I would much rather be matched with and against people around my skill level. Right now games are usually a stomp with 1 or 2 players absolutely crushing.

http://mumble.sourceforge.net/

Separate programme. Once you fire it up it will ask you to go through a wizard to set your mic volumes etc. Just a VOIP like teamspeak/vent.

On a different note, I had an amazing idea before my afternoon nap. Decoy grenades should mimic the noise of a planted bomb rather than a person shooting. Would make it actually useful.

You could change the timing of the beeps or have the tone altered so those experienced enough will work out where the true bomb will be.

Edit:

Speaking of messages of the day, anyone able to help me out in making one?

.la1n

I agree 100%. Anyone who blathers on about this not being the true spirit or being vastly inferior to the pc is just plain wrong. The game handles well, the maps are well crafted and the community is there to support it. I've had no trouble adapting to the ps3 version nor have I had any problem getting competitive games going. Obviously the lack of spray pictures and the lack of mods is a big downer, but everything else is perfectly fine. This is coming from someone who used to be in a clan, do pick up tournaments etc etc. Don't let the naysayers dissuade you from this game, it really is worth the money.

Also gamepad players and kb/m players are usually separated but not always.

Couldn't agree more, having a blast playing on PS3, the community is there.

Jburton

Banned
Is anyone able to join servers running custom maps?

I am crashing back to the menu or getting a message that the server is no longer running.

Any ideas?

ecurbj

I wanna buy this game on the 360. I played CS on the PC once and fell in love with it but that was the last time I played it because I practically use PC's for surfing and typing documents up. Never did gaming on the PC. I'm hearing that the PC to console ports suck and it loses it's flavor when that happens. I guess keyboard and mouse is better than a joystick with this game and the frame rate is better than the console editions. Right?

I wanna buy this game on the 360. I played CS on the PC once and fell in love with it but that was the last time I played it because I practically use PC's for surfing and typing documents up. Never did gaming on the PC. I'm hearing that the PC to console ports suck and it loses it's flavor when that happens. I guess keyboard and mouse is better than a joystick with this game and the frame rate is better than the console editions. Right?

It's fun on both.

YoungHav

Banned
I don't recall but in the original CS on PC, was it 5 on 5?

Hate to be a pain in the ass, but what was added to the classic game? Stat trivia between rounds, bots?

Pubs had anywhere from 10 to 32 players, competitive games were always 5v5.

It's funny because after having played 5v5 I think it would be hard to go back to anything more. 10v10 is just too hectic, even 5v5 seems like a lot at certain times... But I guess my mg spray and pray strat would benefit from more players. Ive already gotten the awards for both mg expert ranks ;)

Daigoro

the 360 version is fun and prefectly playable on a controller. i have no problems recommending the game to you.

Onemic

Im still disappointed by the graphics of this release. It looks only marginally better than source and in some areas I'd say source looks better due to art style.

Rickeh

SCEE delays CS:GO for another week. But the real kick in the teeth is:

"I know a lot of you were hoping for news on Counter Strike: Global Offensive but I’m afraid I’ve no new information to share today. Rest assured we’ll update you as soon as possible."

At least tell us when its coming out, at the moment it's an anti climax every Wednesday.

ch0mp

It's funny because after having played 5v5 I think it would be hard to go back to anything more. 10v10 is just too hectic, even 5v5 seems like a lot at certain times... But I guess my mg spray and pray strat would benefit from more players. Ive already gotten the awards for both mg expert ranks ;)
I think the maps are a factor in this. They feel very cramped in this game compared to 1.6, specifically inferno and train, but dust2 feels like its been squished and so does nuke.

so I have the game on PC and 360, but my PC is shit so I'm stuck with the 360 version right now. what is the official reason why the 360 version can't use mouse/keyboard but the PS3 version can? is it microsoft being strict?

been thinking of grabbing an XIM...

so I have the game on PC and 360, but my PC is shit so I'm stuck with the 360 version right now. what is the official reason why the 360 version can't use mouse/keyboard but the PS3 version can? is it microsoft being strict?

been thinking of grabbing an XIM...

Probably Microsoft being strict again.

Kinda surprised party matchmaking hasn't been fixed on 360 yet...does it work at all for PS3 users?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Haven't played an FPS online for more than 5 minutes since CSS back in 2004/early 2005... uh... so it feels good to get back into this shit. Game is so fucking fun. And I'm actually pretty decent, considering.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
So hey. Ido said an update is supposed to come out today.

No idea what's in it, though.

f0rk

So hey. Ido said an update is supposed to come out today.

No idea what's in it, though.

I just saw someone on twitter mention de_mirage (same as de_cpl_strike I think?) but don't know where he got that from. Also said de_tuscan soon as well.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Probably Microsoft being strict again.

Kinda surprised party matchmaking hasn't been fixed on 360 yet...does it work at all for PS3 users?

Microsoft being microsoft. Though to be fair it's valid point XBL would have no pad users if KB&M were allowed to roll the majority of shooters.

For the last time GAf if you want to Keyboard and Mouse or use any controller you want on a PS3 or 360 get an XIM if you have the money.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I just saw someone on twitter mention de_mirage (same as de_cpl_strike I think?) but don't know where he got that from. Also said de_tuscan soon as well.

DLC maps are mentioned in the game files, but not those. Dunno where people are hearing about those from.

Clydefrog

I read somewhere that these values which affect the netcode should be added to my autoexec.cfg file to fix lag/fps issues:

rate "80000"
cl_cmdrate "128"
cl_updaterate "128"
cl_interp_ratio "1"
cl_interp "0"
cl_lagcompensation "1"
cl_resend "1.5"
cl_resend_timeout "10"
cl_timeout "999"
cl_idealpitchscale "0.02"
fps_max "129"

I don't know if these are helpful or not but I'm going to try them tonight. Anyone knowledgable on the subject care to chime in?

I understand the first 5 commands are pretty essential. I understand the rate commands will only work on a "128 tick" server. On "64 tick" servers, 64 is the max values for cmdrate and updaterate.

I don't know about the other commands besides fps_max.

Naked Lunch

Im still disappointed by the graphics of this release. It looks only marginally better than source and in some areas I'd say source looks better due to art style.
Ill go even further and say Source in general is just flat out the better GAME. Way more maps, way better animation, better art style, interactive environments...

Seriously I just dont see the appeal of CS:GO for the PC. If youre a PC gamer - you have far better CS options. Its clearly just a means to finally get a real CS on the consoles - with the same exact maps weve been playing for years. I actually love it for that because I've been wanting to play Office and Dust II on my couch for years. The 2 new modes in GO are garbage - and their maps are garbage too, so long time PC CS fans aren't missing anything there. 1plant site bomb maps and fixed weapons in demolition = the ultimate CS derp mode.

They just better bring more classic maps to the consoles - and its damn well past high time Valve goes all in on CS 2 for the PC only.

f0rk

DLC maps are mentioned in the game files, but not those. Dunno where people are hearing about those from.

I was mistaken, the comment I said was talking about a port. Doesn't really matter that it's not official, the competitive map pool could do with some more maps.

Edit: Maybe it is official? I don't know.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I read somewhere that these values which affect the netcode should be added to my autoexec.cfg file to fix lag/fps issues:

I don't know if these are helpful or not but I'm going to try them tonight. Anyone knowledgable on the subject care to chime in?

I understand the first 5 commands are pretty essential. I understand the rate commands will only work on a "128 tick" server. On "64 tick" servers, 64 is the max values for cmdrate and updaterate.

I don't know about the other commands besides fps_max.

Maxing out those values on a bad connection or bad server will make registry worse than defaults.

I made a post about this a few pages back with a wiki link on the subject.

Some don'ts

Do not mess with cl_resend
Do not make cl_interp 0 outright look at the net graph 2 or 3 and verify your lerp can support the server

Clydefrog

Maxing out those values on a bad connection or bad server will make registry worse than defaults.

I made a post about this a few pages back with a wiki link on the subject.

Some don'ts

Do not mess with cl_resend
Do not make cl_interp 0 outright look at the net graph 2 or 3 and verify your lerp can support the server

Thanks. Did some past reading through this thread... looks like I'll have to play around with the values keeping a close eye on net_graph 3.

I have a shitty DSL connection from AT&T, so this might be tricky.

FAMAS is my second favourite gun in the game; after the M4.

It's fantastic.

Edit: 28.9MB patch downloading now.

Server is also based in London. I want to play some games with you lot. Can give out "prizes".

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I was mistaken, the comment I said was talking about a port. Doesn't really matter that it's not official, the competitive map pool could do with some more maps.

Edit: Maybe it is official? I don't know.

Oh, didn't know you were talking about ports. Don't know anything about that.

In the mean time, patch notes!

Release Notes for CS:GO update 2012-08-30

[ Gameplay ]
- Adjusted footstep volume fade out and maximum audible distance to match source/1.6.
- Increased default Casual match length to 15 rounds.
- Fixed an issue that caused the AWP to zoom to the wrong level after reloading.
- Tuned flinch aimpunch values.
- Fixed a bug in the penetration code that incorrectly determined the exit spot as being not solid when it was which allowed penetrating much further than it should have.

[ UI ]
- Added x-ray vision of own teammates for dead players.
- Added new spectator UI that shows both team’s active weapon, player name, health, armor, etc, when spectating a 10 player match.
- Added a new convar "sv_competitive_official_5v5" that:
o Forces a match to display 5v5 scoreboards regardless of maxplayers setting ( Allows setting maxplayers to 12 to allow spectators into a 5v5 match ).
o Allows connected spectators to see both teams in x-ray.
- Added support for international characters in play with friends lobby chat.
- Fixed an issue that caused the mouse cursor to reset its mouse position when clicking on the UI when the window didn't have focus.
- Fixed being able to open the radio menu when you were an observer.
- You can't toggle the scoreboard in half-time now
- Fixed the scoreboard win animation firing before the scoreboard was told to come up in the end match state and was usually missed
- The countdown timer now flashes prior to the start of a match.

[ General ]
- Reduced frequency of polling server console to save CPU.
- Fixed a rare crash when applying decals.
- Significantly improved precision of dedicated server frames to match tickrate.
- Clamped dedicated server fps to match quantized tickrate.
- Fixed two exploits. One that would allow players to see out of smoke with much more clarity than players could see them if they were boosted up while inside the smoke volume. Also made the smoke a tad shorter/smaller. Two, fixed players being able to see through a few trains out of the corner of their screens on de_train and de_train_se. Thanks Volcano.
- Fixed messages in scoreboard overlapping at end match.
- To pass a vote in competitive mode, all eligible voters minus one must now vote yes

[ Community Servers ]
- Fixed cases when values of some convars set on community servers would not correctly replicate to clients.
- Game modes configuration file now specifies cfg files to exec instead of keyvalue pairs of convars to make it easier for server operators to configure their game modes. To tweak game modes it would be sufficient to provide gamemode_competitive_server.cfg and _server.cfg files for other game modes which will exec after stock cfg files.
- Linux: running srcds_run with -autoupdate will now update the server during hibernation, in addition to changelevel.
- Fixed an issue that was limiting connectivity to community servers to only 25 players.
- Deprecated mp_ggtr_rounds_per_half. Use mp_maxrounds instead.
- Changed timelimit matches to stop at round end instead of exactly when the limit expires.

I'd be very surprised if valve doesn't eventually release new maps for this but it really seems their focus is on dota 2 for the near future.

I don't expect go to receive the support it deserves initially.

I hope I'm proved wrong though.

I realllllllllllly regret buying this game.
It's like they SOCOM: Confrontation'd counterstrike
l

How?

I'd be very surprised if valve doesn't eventually release new maps for this but it really seems their focus is on dota 2 for the near future.

I don't expect go to receive the support it deserves initially.

I hope I'm proved wrong though.

It's already had like 5 patches since it launched (on PC at least) and isn't it a separate studio (Hidden Path) doing most of the development on this anyway?

LCGeek

formerly sane
Thanks. Did some past reading through this thread... looks like I'll have to play around with the values keeping a close eye on net_graph 3.

I have a shitty DSL connection from AT&T, so this might be tricky.

I have bellsouth dsl at with about 1.5Mbps down and a crap upload. If anything since you're on DSL with att you should check your modem and see if you're on interleaved or fastpath. If you're on interleaved know that it making your ping higher and adding a delay. You can easily fix the issue by going to their support forums and making a post to a tech take like no time but just waiting for them to get to your topic.

Arnie

Put me in the camp that's fucking ecstatic that KB/M isn't supported on 360. I've played a ton of CS on PC, and I'd hate to have the mouse players in with the controller players, it makes no sense and would ruin the game. If a controller player kills the mouse player at any range other than close quarters, the mouse player is doing something seriously wrong. I'd hate to be wondering if I was killed because of skill, or because of an inherent imbalance in input methods.

What's the point in playing a game that tests skill, and competitiveness, when some people are running around with a huge advantage over everyone else?

If the two populations were segregated, then sure, but not if they're mixed. No fucking way.

dcpc10

Neo Member
Anyone mind sharing a copy? I can trade some beta keys in return if you'd like.

Also, does anyone know if this game allows for elo/skill level matched stuff, akin to sc2? Haven't seen enough fps games with that functionality yet.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Put me in the camp that's fucking ecstatic that KB/M isn't supported on 360. I've played a ton of CS on PC, and I'd hate to have the mouse players in with the controller players, it makes no sense and would ruin the game. If a controller player kills the mouse player at any range other than close quarters, the mouse player is doing something seriously wrong. I'd hate to be wondering if I was killed because of skill, or because of an inherent imbalance in input methods.

What's the point in playing a game that tests skill, and competitiveness, when some people are running around with a huge advantage over everyone else?

If the two populations were segregated, then sure, but not if they're mixed. No fucking way.

You do realize that MS drove that crowd underground and that those with XIM troll this crowd. Had ms been even slightly sane they could've had all developer make some sort setup like epic did in UT3. Give options if players want either they can or they can lock down to their input preferences. All this does is segregate people who otherwise would just be down for shooting each other.

You can claim hardware advantages but as someone in to tournies and lan basically since the mid 90's it doesn't make up that much. If you're garbage odds are its not because of controls, though not implying you are. Reflex, intelligence, situational awareness, and many other factors determine winning. Only time a KB&M can actually beat out pad people is if the person is better in skill and has better hardware or you stick two people of similar skill together. They have tested this out time and time again. Players with no skills on a high end mouse aren't going to be necessarily any better and often not still lose to someone really good on a pad in a game that doesn't gimp them or has decent recoil control.

Lastly I think I have every right on any console to use any input I like granted it's not cheat machine. Considering how a majority of games are now being focused on consoles over pcs even more it's dumb to lock out people for a preference. If there is one area consoles need to evolve permanently it's inputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom