• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT| The bomb has been planted

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do realize that MS drove that crowd underground and that those with XIM troll this crowd. Had ms been even slightly sane they could've had all developer make some sort setup like epic did in UT3. Give options if players want either they can or they can lock down to their input preferences. All this does is segregate people who otherwise would just be down for shooting each other.

You can claim hardware advantages but as someone in to tournies and lan basically since the mid 90's it doesn't make up that much. If you're garbage odds are its not because of controls, though not implying you are. Reflex, intelligence, situational awareness, and many other factors determine winning. Only time a KB&M can actually beat out pad people is if the person is better in skill and has better hardware or you stick two people of similar skill together. They have tested this out time and time again. Players with no skills on a high end mouse aren't going to be necessarily any better and often not still lose to someone really good on a pad in a game that doesn't gimp them or has decent recoil control.

Lastly I think I have every right on any console to use any input I like granted it's not cheat machine. Considering how a majority of games are now being focused on consoles over pcs even more it's dumb to lock out people for a preference. If there is one area consoles need to evolve permanently it's inputs.

No one really gives a shit that MS drove those people "underground" since the chance of encountering someone using one of those devices in most online games is like .000001%

Also, no you do not have the "right" to use any input you would like on a console, just ask Microsoft. Check your entitlement at the door.

Zia

Shame the update includes no mention of fixed ELO or leaderboards. Also, I have an issue (Mac), where about every other instance, when checking my achievements while in-game, I'll crash.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
You do realize that MS drove that crowd underground and that those with XIM troll this crowd. Had ms been even slightly sane they could've had all developer make some sort setup like epic did in UT3. Give options if players want either they can or they can lock down to their input preferences. All this does is segregate people who otherwise would just be down for shooting each other.

You can claim hardware advantages but as someone in to tournies and lan basically since the mid 90's it doesn't make up that much. If you're garbage odds are its not because of controls, though not implying you are. Reflex, intelligence, situational awareness, and many other factors determine winning. Only time a KB&M can actually beat out pad people is if the person is better in skill and has better hardware or you stick two people of similar skill together. They have tested this out time and time again. Players with no skills on a high end mouse aren't going to be necessarily any better and often not still lose to someone really good on a pad in a game that doesn't gimp them or has decent recoil control.

Lastly I think I have every right on any console to use any input I like granted it's not cheat machine. Considering how a majority of games are now being focused on consoles over pcs even more it's dumb to lock out people for a preference. If there is one area consoles need to evolve permanently it's inputs.
Any halfway decent m/kb user would slaughter even pro padders without some really heavy aim assist.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Any halfway decent m/kb user would slaughter even pro padders without some really heavy aim assist.

You'd be surprise what I've seen in the last decade. Also I already said it equal skill hardware wins and superior skill and hardware it's no question. As much as I hear that I have to say I disagree with it.

KingKong

Man how long does it take to set up a Steam Workshop for maps? Natural Selection 2 doesnt even have a preorder yet and they already set it up

Man how long does it take to set up a Steam Workshop for maps? Natural Selection 2 doesnt even have a preorder yet and they already set it up

They probably have bigger things to worry about. The NS2 team also does not have to worry about supporting 360/PS3 also, among other things.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Nope, Valve took over after release

Yeah. Think they did with the last major update even, when it was still in beta. I remember there being an interview someone posted in the Steam thread with the HPE guys and they basically said they had little to do with it anymore.

Nope, Valve took over after release

Edit: And they said they were working on the workshop a month ago

Yeah. Think they did with the last major update even, when it was still in beta. I remember there being an interview someone posted in the Steam thread with the HPE guys and they basically said they had little to do with it anymore.

Nice! Than actually yes, seeing as how CS:Source and DOD:Source got shoved to the side after the first 6 months I guess I would be a little worried.

word up

Neo Member
You can claim hardware advantages but as someone in to tournies and lan basically since the mid 90's it doesn't make up that much. If you're garbage odds are its not because of controls

Have you seen people using analogue gamepad controllers at fps tournaments? GO apparently supports the xbox 360 controller natively on pc, I suggest you try it on some random pc servers if you have the steam version. On a console COD with huge amounts of aim assist vs other people handicapped in the same way it feels fine but you are really bringing a knife to a gunfight with a gamepad in CS on pc. I wouldn't want to play fifa on a keyboard and mouse if i had the choice of a gamepad instead! Use the right tool for the job.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Excellent then you would know you are wrong since you would have seen the dreamcast/pc issue in quake 3. Lots of tears were shed when users with a mouse dominated pad users.

I was there and saw it drained. Still don't stop those left from doing. Funny you bring that up because what did some do they merged both the pad and dc mouse.

Only the babies left all that remain just like UT were those who wanted to have fun with a console port of some major fps titles. I played quake3 on dc for some of the levels which as you know were much smaller than the pc version and had some nifty aspects.

Have you seen people using analogue gamepad controllers at fps tournaments? GO apparently supports the xbox 360 controller natively on pc, I suggest you try it on some random pc servers if you have the steam version. On a console COD with huge amounts of aim assist vs other people handicapped in the same way it feels fine but you are really bringing a knife to a gunfight with a gamepad in CS on pc. I wouldn't want to play fifa on a keyboard and mouse if i had the choice of a gamepad instead! Use the right tool for the job.

Two of my best bros one which gaf knows I play LOL with do this all the time and have no problem scoring kills on me. Can't go even vs me but the ratios aren't massively distorted either. Also if you're going to ignore my hardware comments which I've stated twice stop turning my argument in to that. Outside of BYOC tournies most run on machines that are equal. Lastly all I'm saying is it doesn't hurt devs to be smarter like epic was. These companies bitch about sales if some of my lanning friends who don't have high end consoles or pcs could easily do this on the console it would be a freebie. Not only that I'm not really griping considering I'm one of the few gaffers that puts out there they use input machine to do KB&M on such consoles. There is no lockout and the situation talking about is happening it's not a hypothetical they have youtubes of this. Tournies ban these things for a reason so it's not like it's not doable.

Keep things like they are now do nothing about stealthers like me. Or let those types of players in legitmately and do things right like give options to those in lobbies like who can and can't play. Either way doesn't bug me I just find these arguments to based on personal experience that are unaware of what people are already doing.

MS lies period. You can api lock these things from having the magical powers they do in windows. They aren't perfect as someone who uses a variety of these devices can talk about the lag on some or the bad translation from analog to mouse. Sensitivity and dpi range locking are posssible as well.

Clydefrog

wow, the new update made it virtually unplayable for me. i will either crash on server join or after one or two rounds.

Intel i5-2500k
EVGA GTX 670 FTW
8 GB Ram
Windows 7

word up

Neo Member
LCGeek, I don't think anyone is questioning your right to use whatever input method you choose. But are instead saying vs mouse and keyboard players, on a pc fps like counter-strike, a player would basically dead weight for the team playing with a gamepad.

Once again, if you have CS:GO on steam try it and see how you do with an Xbox 360 controller vs the very low skilled average pub server players I'm seeing on atm (who will be almost all using mice on their e-machine or water cooled monster rig). Maybe find some mixes or gathers which will be a bit higher skilled and see how you or your better gamepad fps player friends do there.

LCGeek

formerly sane
LCGeek, I don't think anyone is questioning your right to use whatever input method you choose. But are instead saying vs mouse and keyboard players, on a pc fps like counter-strike, a player would basically dead weight for the team playing with a gamepad.

Once again, if you have CS:GO on steam try it and see how you do with an Xbox 360 controller vs the very low skilled average pub server players I'm seeing on atm (who will be almost all using mice on their e-machine or water cooled monster rig). Maybe find some mixes or gathers which will be a bit higher skilled and see how you or your better gamepad fps player friends do there.

I'm not advocating a pc like environment. That's stacked against people if you played UT3 on ps3 you can easily see what I mean. Shame the game sucked because the concept worked. Let people decide it period sick of politics like this and they harm companies far more than I think they realize. Removing this outright only limits market which is ironic considering console land is going to need all the consumers considering how smartphone and tablet gaming are starting to enter the picture.

Already have done your suggestion when I visiting peeps I know back in the midwest this summer during the betas. I have the game and do a bunch of source games with gamepad including L4D believe my teamates aren't bitching about me or another friend slacking. We aren't pros and same for the low skilled types. Only people who gripe like the mentioned are the wannabes most are just there for fun as long as you don't talk trash, kill steal, or fail objectives most appreciate a decent teammate.

Also why do I need others to test this suggestion. I have myself and my friends for this who we mix up in a bunch rooms we have built for this stuff. Not arguing the popularity of this stuff only that it's doable and limiting it is a dumb idea considering how much money most of these companies need these days to stay afloat. MS basically diss the pc gamer caught in hardware game who might not want to or cannot upgrade at times. Shame I don't make vids otherwise I'd pop one one for source and show you me trolling DM with rcp90 really easily.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
No. Why does playing with a mouse=godly now? As if all PC fps players are s\o godly...i prefer a moose just curous.
Being able to aim more quickly and accurately than someone on a gamepad doesn't make you godly. I consider that to be the bare minimum to be competitive online on the PC. Valve didn't add the feature for CS:GO, but aim assist exists for a reason.

IMACOMPUTA

It actually has a lot in common with Socom Confrontation.

It's developed by a different company than the original game.
It's more of a remake than a "sequel".
It doesn't really add anything that makes it more desirable than the original.
and It's worse than the original.
Oh, it seems like every server has terrible lag spikes.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member

Valve was the primary developer, with help from HPE. The latter's involvement lessened as the game approached release date.

Valve never advertised this as a sequel. They've admitted they still don't know what CS2 would be.

To your third complaint, I have seen that argument before, one I don't agree with. But I'm enjoying the game, so hey, works for me.

The lag spikes aren't as prevalent as you're making them out to be, but it does happen and can be frustrating.

Semblance

Latest patch seems kinda wonky for me. DC'd / crashed a bit tonight. But I like the new spectator tweaks a lot, pretty cool.

So I am really terrible at this game. What is the best way to not embarrass myself online anymore?

Listen very carefully to your surroundings. Use walk / crouch to go silent. Footsteps and reloading are very loud, and you can get the drop on someone more easily if you play it patiently.

Jburton

Banned
Latest patch seems kinda wonky for me. DC'd / crashed a bit tonight. But I like the new spectator tweaks a lot, pretty cool.

Listen very carefully to your surroundings. Use walk / crouch to go silent. Footsteps and reloading are very loud, and you can get the drop on someone more easily if you play it patiently.

This ........ breathe and do not panic when engaging in a firefight.

This games takes high concentration, even if I am only slightly tired I play badly .... worse than usual.

Are we going to have a mouse vs pad debate every few pages?

Utilising shift to walk is the probably the best thing you can do. So much of this game relies on sound.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
The new update must be a fucking joke.

Seeing your teammates through walls! What the hell?

Edit: ok, nvm it's just when you're dead.

Booter

So I am really terrible at this game. What is the best way to not embarrass myself online anymore?

learn to move slower/move with your teammates/camp/find the proper shooting & standing positions

basically, just play more to gain experience.

------

is anyone else really tired of the jerky lag on italy? I assume it's happening whenever someone joins the server (it's most frequent at the start of rounds), man is it horrible. doesn't happen on office, I feel like it's just italy.

------

tree.png

Wozzer

I used to play 1.6 and prior a stupid amount during my teenage years, and remember reaching the top of Enemy Down during the early CS:Source days (a poor achievement in comparison to eSport gamers, but one of my fondest). Haven't played for so many years and thought I'd have 'one round' last night at 11pm.

At 4am I finish, being kept awake due to having a knife vendetta against Karl Pilkington...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjMXPZA1z_U&hd=1

Well done to Hidden Path Entertainment, they nailed it. I just hope they can hurry up and get ranked matchmaking and league support in as I'm too old and lazy to bother with using external websites, and without a doubt match play is the only way to play CS.

Semblance

is anyone else really tired of the jerky lag on italy? I assume it's happening whenever someone joins the server (it's most frequent at the start of rounds), man is it horrible. doesn't happen on office, I feel like it's just italy.

Yes, very. God. It thankfully only really happens to me when the round starts, but it's annoying as hell, all the same.

http://bankbank.net/cs/tree.png[img][/QUOTE]

I keep telling dudes, but the sawed-off and Mag-7 are godlike in this game. People need to wake up to these weapons.

twofold

Playing on a DeathMatch server has made it obvious how bad my aim is and how poor the majority of players on pub servers are. I kept getting headshotted over and over on the DM server while I usually get a 2:1 KD ratio on the pubs. It was ridiculous.

The hardest part I'm finding is getting used to aiming for the head. I've been playing Quake for so long that I'm used to aiming for the chest. Reprogramming my brain to go for the head instead is proving to be difficult and frustrating.

has Valva talked about releasing more maps? Only 2 hostage maps are on this thing.

This, need militia and assault asap. I don't understand why they broke the modes into different playlists on 360 either, so annoying switching between them with a party.. especially when lobbies still don't work.

bob page

I've put in about 12 hours so far on PC and have yet to see any lag spikes.

My main complaint right now is the lack of new maps. Hopefully Valve is giving Hidden Path a good amount of resources to get updates out quickly.

NekoFever

I've just been in three games running with people accusing other players of wallhacking because they can see people through walls when they're spectating them...

Dalauz

I have discovered a very serious problem with de_inferno in CS:GO! This
requires immediate attention!

At the T-spawn, there used to be bells of 3 different sizes hanging in the
wall. They each had 3 distinct tones/notes.

In times of boredom I found myself shooting at them with my trusty glock
9mm, and discovered that I could play "Mary Had a Little Lamb" by
carefully choosing which bell to shoot at in the correct order. Granted,
I usually had to reload to finish the tune, but I digress...

This is no longer possible because there are only 2 different sizes of
bells hanging over T-spawn.

Please correct this very serious problem at earliest possible moment! I
hardly enjoy playing this map anymore without those 3 different sized
bells hanging over T-spawn.

BTW, server wise this game is a mess.

Learn to adapt your speed to different situations. Walking makes you near silent, and improves accuracy, standing still/crouching more so. A duel between one guy running like a headless chicken and a guy calmly firing whilst walking will go to the later almost always.

Use sound- turn it right up, and listen out for those footsteps, glass breaking, etc.

Learn the spray patterns of the weapons you're using. Learn the maps too- this just takes time, but figuring out the choke points is always useful.

Use the minimap. If you notice a load of dots turning into crosses on your team nearby, be ready for the enemy.

Don't panic in firefights. All too often I've had an easy kill, rushed, missed my shot/non critical hit, and the other guy ends up taking my life. Worse still I've had this happen when people have been facing the other way, and not known I'm there. I've ran in, he hears me/my pot shots, turns around calmly and kills me in one shot.

Don't forget you have a sidearm, and use it! At the same time, know its limitations. The deagle is a sexy thing though- deadly accurate and powerful, if you make each shot count.

Also, don't use this as a tactic, but at least once when your opponent panics and is caught off guard or you are out of ammo with no time to reload, draw your knife and go for it. Half of the players out there completely freak, and you might even get a kill in. Maybe save that for when you're more comfortable though.

Longshot

I like CS:GO and all but I think I prefer Source at the end of the day.

I love the new buy menu, updated graphics, 5v5 matches and feel of some of the weapons but overall I think Source is a more polished game.

That's not to say I won't continue to play both side-by-side but I really doubt this'll pick up in terms of eSports. I actually find Source much harder and GO much easier, I'm not sure why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom