• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT| The bomb has been planted

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Even though people rag on consoles for having aim assist, it's not a fair comparison. Mouse is so much more versatile than a shitty analog stick. Turn on some steep mouse acceleration that's comparable to a stick and see for yourself.

Yes, I'm aware of that.

Edit: My post wasn't intended to be elitist, I'm just glad that the player skill is at the forefront of the game, as it should be.

Yep exactly. They need to pay shitty console fees to even have online modes PLUS the costs of dedicated servers. For a PSN/XBLA game? I just don't see it happening

See the edit to my previous post.

Grayman

Well, since dedicated servers on consoles are pretty rare and often reserved for games that absolutely require them (MAG, BF3) it's really hard to give examples. Epic did some pretty shady shit with GoW3, almost forcing players to buy DLC if they want to enjoy dedicated servers across all game modes. EA is known for pulling entire matchmaking support after 1-2 years on many games. You also have to remember that this is a cheaper downloadable game. Dedicated servers aren't cheap, especially ones of quality.

dedicated servers like 1.6, quake, other competent games aren't cheap they are virtually free to the developer, it is just the centralized shit that costs money.

Well, since dedicated servers on consoles are pretty rare and often reserved for games that absolutely require them (MAG, BF3) it's really hard to give examples.

Rare? Most (if not all) games from EA and Valve that have an MP component run dedicated servers on consoles.

Epic did some pretty shady shit with GoW3, almost forcing players to buy DLC if they want to enjoy dedicated servers across all game modes.

Shady? Yes. Did they drop them? No.

EA is known for pulling entire matchmaking support after 1-2 years on many games.

For games that are dead.

You also have to remember that this is a cheaper downloadable game. Dedicated servers aren't cheap, especially ones of quality.

BF1943
Released on XBLA/PSN in '09 and still has an active community with dedis intact.

rCIZZLE

To give a (more pertinent) counter-example, Valve's dedicated servers for Left 4 Dead X360 and Left 4 Dead 2 X360 are still up.

Are those dedicated servers or p2p matchmaking?

dedicated servers like 1.6, quake, other competent games aren't cheap they are virtually free to the developer, it is just the centralized shit that costs money.

Ya when talking about dedicated servers that's what I mean.

Rare? Most (if not all) games from EA and Valve that have an MP component run dedicated servers on consoles.

Are you sure? I'm really going to need some kind of proof lol. I remember when BF3 and GoW3 were coming out, they made a big point about dedicated servers like they invented them.

Shady? Yes. Did they drop them? No.

Well, they dropped them for people who didn't feel like overpaying for maps. I'm pretty sure they did drop them at certain times of day or some shit like that. Can't find them admitting it but I remember my group having "disconnected from host" type problems where we all got dropped.

For games that are dead.

I was only talking about 1-2 years as well... what happens when a new generation comes along? Or several years down the road? 1.6 still allows you to play on dedicated servers over a decade later. Source, coming up on a decade.

BF1943
Released on XBLA/PSN in '09 and still has an active community with dedis intact.

I can't find any information about this online. You sure they're dedicated?

solidus51

Banned
people that are getting counter strike already know what there getting into. people cant forget call of dutys most popular mode is search and destroy and alot of socom players are gonna be on counter strike.

rCIZZLE

Dedicated servers.

Can you link me any sort of proof if you don't mind? I'm having trouble finding confirmation that they're still running dedicated servers worth playing on.

people that are getting counter strike already know what there getting into. people cant forget call of dutys most popular mode is search and destroy and alot of socom players are gonna be on counter strike.

This isn't true. CoD also has aim assist and TV ads everywhere not to mention a generation that's growing up on it. PC version will have millions of players, tournament support, competitive leagues, etc. Consoles may form some kind of community but it'll be very small in comparison.

solidus51

Banned
Can you link me any sort of proof if you don't mind? I'm having trouble finding confirmation that they're still running dedicated servers worth playing on.

This isn't true. CoD also has aim assist and TV ads everywhere not to mention a generation that's growing up on it. PC version will have millions of players, tournament support, competitive leagues, etc. Consoles may form some kind of community but it'll be very small in comparison.

doesnt mean this game isnt gonna have console support. yes more on pc than the consoles but the ps3 version will have a fair share of players trust me. there is games on the ps3 that have ongoing support that you wouldnt even think of having

rCIZZLE

Doesn't sound like very good support. Any thread I can find on L4D2 servers is full of people saying p2p is better. What about L4D1? Are rented private servers with comparable PC customization available in any console game?

doesnt mean this game isnt gonna have console support. yes more on pc than the consoles but the ps3 version will have a fair share of players trust me. there is games on the ps3 that have ongoing support that you wouldnt even think of having

I'm still predicting this game will be practically dead on consoles within a year. 1,500 ps3 preorders isn't very many when they were enticed with some kind of freebie.

JaseC

Doesn't sound like very good support. Any thread I can find on L4D2 servers is full of people saying p2p is better. What about L4D1? Are rented private servers with comparable PC customization available in any console game?

You seem to be going off on a different tangent. I responded to your initial scepticism regarding the dedicated servers remaining online for more than a couple of years.

Edit: But to answer your questions:

1) L4D X360 certainly supports dedicated servers
2) Not that I'm aware of, but then I don't play console games online

Chinner

Banned
I can't see this doing well on consoles. not because it's bad, because it's not, but becaus competitive gaming on consoles is completely different beast now and i don't think gamers will have the patience for it.

glaurung

Should I be interested in this game?

I never played the original Counter-Strike, it was horrible around where I live with hacks and exploits.

But I do enjoy a fair bit of CoD games (seems I have been enjoying them more lately, must be because of the dimming intellect).

What are the discerning features for a complete newbie in this game?

I can't see this doing well on consoles. not because it's bad, because it's not, but becaus competitive gaming on consoles is completely different beast now and i don't think gamers will have the patience for it.
I hope it does well, it probably has the most ideal release window it could ask for. I'm most interested to see if gamers are willing to swallow a game without XP and unlock supplements. And if so will anyone take notice.

rCIZZLE

You seem to be going off on a different tangent. I responded to your initial scepticism regarding the dedicated servers remaining online for more than a couple of years.

Dedicated servers are only notable if they're better than p2p. Proper dedicated servers are ideal... when you can either rent or play on ones in your region. If Valve bought some shitty dedicated servers for GO that were worse than p2p they don't really deserve the credit.

I'm skeptical because people say "ya they do" when I'm finding mixed reports in forum posts and even quotes from the devs.

Edit: But to answer your questions:

1) L4D X360 certainly supports dedicated servers
2) Not that I'm aware of, but then I don't play console games online

That article is from 2008.

Dedicated servers are only notable if they're better than p2p. Proper dedicated servers are ideal... when you can either rent or play on ones in your region. If Valve bought some shitty dedicated servers for GO that were worse than p2p they don't really deserve the credit.

I'm skeptical because people say "ya they do" when I'm finding mixed reports in forum posts and even quotes from the devs.

lol
Wow

JaseC

That remains to be seen. It's also worth keeping in mind that P2P will be superior in many cases simply because Valve does not and will not have dedicated servers everywhere.

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. "Ya they do" in reference to... what, exactly? And why did you link to an article about Dice/EA in a thread pertaining to a Valve game?

And Left 4 Dead released in 2008. I'm not sure what your point is, unless you want "proof" that the servers are still up, even though L4D2's are and the game is only a year younger?

Edit: A year younger, not older. Oops.

They're allowing people to use KB/M on PS3? Getting it on PC for sure. I was hoping to play on the couch with the Sony stereo cans, but that sounds like a huge disadvantage for controller users.

Looks like I may have to repeat my 'find' a couple of times ...

Apparently the PS3 version has Move, Mouse and Keyboard and DualShock support, and each player has a separate ranking for each control method he or she uses, and match-making takes it into account. I thought that's pretty interesting.

Source:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcs8W7vrXcs

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
So i played the beta 2 days ago. Are there any big differences between beta and release build?

Ravenn17

This is true. The SOCOM community is anxious to try it because we know CS doesn't hold your hand just like the original SOCOM never did.

rCIZZLE

???

That remains to be seen. It's also worth keeping in mind that P2P will be superior in many cases simply because Valve does not and will not have dedicated servers everywhere.

Even if they don't provide them, we should still be able to rent servers from 3rd party providers in different regions. If console games can't provide quality dedis on their dime, which it seems to be the case, then they should allow us to rent our own. If they're the only ones providing servers and those servers are unreliable then I don't see what's the point of having them.

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. "Ya they do" in reference to... what, exactly? And why did you link to an article about Dice/EA in a thread pertaining to a Valve game?

Whenever I ask if a particular game has dedis then that's the response I get. Then I do a search and sometimes see dropped support months or years ago. The link is about how quickly servers can get taken down on console even when it's a successful game that bragged about having them.

And Left 4 Dead released in 2008. I'm not sure what your point is, unless you want "proof" that the servers are still up, even though L4D2's are and the game is only a year younger?

Edit: A year younger, not older. Oops.

You said they were still up. I just asking for proof because I'm curious how you knew.

Well, this is too much typing. I'm still skeptical of how long dedis on console for CS:GO will be an option. If a new player asked me, I'd tell them to buy it on PC if that's an option because they'll have access to the best servers for as long as they're interested in the game, among all the other obvious reasons.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I was never able to get a good feel for the weapons in the CS series. Firing in burst at long range and full auto up close rarely seem to work for me.

I say this just because I usually pick up any FPS and I'll be somewhat used to the weaPons pretty quickly. This never happened for me in CS.

twofold

I was never able to get a good feel for the weapons in the CS series. Firing in burst at long range and full auto up close rarely seem to work for me.

I say this just because I usually pick up any FPS and I'll be somewhat used to the weaPons pretty quickly. This never happened for me in CS.

The CS:GO lessons on this youtube channel helped me understand the way the weapons work. Since watching them, I've been scoring a lot more kills and doing a lot better overall. There's a lot of basic information in there but he keeps dropping useful tips every minute or so, too. It's worth a watch.

http://www.youtube.com/user/cleeholtzman/videos?flow=grid&view=0

I would suggest the only reason why dedicated servers may not have the same longeivity as previous VALVe games is due to the the new consoles that are expected next year.

Servers are still up on L4D 1&2.

Wow, looks really dated and desolate. I don't have that much nostalgy for CS and the gameplay videos doesn't seem to ensure me to get this one. Can't see what's so exciting running empty hallways and even on the same old maps... Valve is such a great company.

OG Kush

The AK does more damage, only takes 1 shot to the head for a kill, m4 needs 2

what? I swear in 1.6 they both one shot kill to head? I also thought in 1.6 basically everygun if you get headshot is 1 shot kill? CAn't even remember anymore been so long.
But anyway, as someone who grew up on 1.6 what should I know about this game? Should I get it? Any definitive guide/reveiews out there from a 1.6 perspective?

edit: wait... WTF, no USP or Mp5?!

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, looks really dated and desolate. I don't have that much nostalgy for CS and the gameplay videos doesn't seem to ensure me to get this one. Can't see what's so exciting running empty hallways and even on the same old maps... Valve is such a great company.

No offense, but you sound a lot like SPUF right now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
as someone who used to enjoy LAN sessions during lunch of CS, but hasn't played for years - would I be better served with the PC version and probably getting owned by veterans, or the PS3/360 version (and getting owned by console FPSers)? Is one likely to be slightly more lenient than the other?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
The CS:GO lessons on this youtube channel helped me understand the way the weapons work. Since watching them, I've been scoring a lot more kills and doing a lot better overall. There's a lot of basic information in there but he keeps dropping useful tips every minute or so, too. It's worth a watch.

http://www.youtube.com/user/cleeholtzman/videos?flow=grid&view=0

Cool, thanks for that. I was laughing at the aiming/crosshair video because it was spot-on about the "pub players" bit. Everything he did as a pub player is exactly what I do.

JaseC

Has it been released then? Stuck at work.

I presume I have to get the achievements again.

Still another ~five hours before the Steam version is unlocked. (The store page says "approximately six", but that'll tick over to "approximately five" in about 12 minutes.)

ch0mp

what? I swear in 1.6 they both one shot kill to head? I also thought in 1.6 basically everygun if you get headshot is 1 shot kill? CAn't even remember anymore been so long.
But anyway, as someone who grew up on 1.6 what should I know about this game? Should I get it? Any definitive guide/reveiews out there from a 1.6 perspective?

edit: wait... WTF, no USP or Mp5?!
M4 is around 85-90 damage with a helmet.

robin2

Read almost all the thread but I didn't find an answer:

how's the bullets walls penetration, like CS 1.5/1.6 or like CSS?

JaseC

Read almost all the thread but I didn't find an answer:

how's the bullets walls penetration, like CS 1.5/1.6 or like CSS?

Not as wild as 1.6 (e.g. no shooting through blocks of concrete) but certainly less nerfed than CS:S (e.g. no more impenetrable wooden boxes). It's somewhere in the middle, and as somebody who misses the days of being able to awp through 10m of concrete, I think the balance is acceptable.

Zia

Noticed on the Steam page that it lists the beta achievements you've acquired. Hope they reset. I was looking forward to starting fresh.

Edit: Can't believe how excited I am for this, considering I've put 70 hours into the beta. Hope reviews go up soon -- interested to see if this gets Virtua Fighter'd.

Not out on Xbox 360 today:

HjgCO.jpg

Link

And seemingly no word on a PSN release in EU still, can't find the comment but one of the blog managers said that they had no concrete info.

Yay.

Edit: Kind of annoying that none of the EU orientated games sites have bothered to touch on this, but simply go by the PR related to the US and presume it's the same.

Mr YuYu

Not as wild as 1.6 (e.g. no shooting through blocks of concrete) but certainly less nerfed than CS:S (e.g. no more impenetrable wooden boxes). It's somewhere in the middle, and as somebody who misses the days of being able to awp through 10m of concrete, I think the balance is acceptable.

This is very nice to hear!
been a while since i was this excited for a game. Lets hope the it plays well with a controller :)

robin2

I see, thanks. I'm a fan of crazy bullets penetration too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom