• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT2| Gambling, VACations, Giveaways & DDoS

MayMay

Banned

Rivitur

Banned
Damn u! I'm trying to give the winners of my last giveaway their skins lol.. :
Ahh just don't give away anything over 199 or you won't ever see them again. (That's a reference that I just came up with in this delusional, tired, and not really awake mind of mine.)

Also all of stormbergs accounts got banned already.

Rixxan

garath

Alright guys this is what PC GAF helped me pick out
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sCWy3C

Any of your guy's input is greatly appreciated. I won't order until tomorrow just in case there is some things I can change.

Looks good. PC GAF is on point. Surprised they didn't push a SSD. They're big fans of SSDs.

Personally I have one but it's not life changing if you sleep your computer anyways. It DOES make the system snappy but for strictly gaming purposes, it's money better spent elsewhere (like the GPU or even more system RAM).

My pc(probably rip) crashed in the middle of MM, and I can't turn it on now, and probably I got 7 days now. :<
And right in my last week of vacations :'[

cHinzo

Any specific recommendations?
Would recommend the Crucial MX100. They're not the fastest, but they are the best price/quality SSDs u can get which are also reliable as fck.
I upgraded my laptop with an SSD and it's so damn fast now. No more waiting with anything. :D

Rivitur

Banned
Would recommend the Crucial MX100. They're not the fastest, but they are the best price/quality SSDs u can get which are also reliable as fck.
I upgraded my laptop with an SSD and it's so damn fast now. No more waiting with anything. :D
Cool beans thanks

cHinzo

Same here. Windows takes about 15 seconds to boot up.
Yeah I used to turn on my laptop, change my clothes, get something to drink and it would have booted Windows by the time I came back. With an SSD it's done booting like 15 seconds after pressing the power button and u can immediately open ur programs without a delay. Such a great quality of life upgrade for a rig in general.

Wunder

Just got my monitor and dropped a 30 bomb in my first game, I thought it was the monitor but they turned out to be MG2 - DMG so I'm not sure now. I did pull off some nice 3/4Ks that I might not have with my old monitor though.

It's so hard to describe the feeling, its like everything is smoother and slowed down? It has that 'soap-opera' look too. Will take some getting used to.

garath

If you are going to build a PC now, not getting an SSD is the worst decision you can make.

That's some strong hyperbole here.

I'm of the opinion that if you're on a budget and that $100 you'd spend on a tiny SSD for the OS is going to impact the rest of the build, then you skip it. The money is much better spent on a good CPU/GPU. I'd even rank a quality case over a SSD.

It is really easy to throw a SSD in your system later. You can't incrementally upgrade a CPU or a GPU.

A SSD is nice. Windows boots fast, it's a little snappier. But when it comes to gaming, it's such a minimal impact.

I just added a SSD to my system a few months ago. It really didn't change much. Programs open a little quicker. Windows boots faster yes, but I would sleep my system anyways. No real change there.

I know it's not the popular opinion in here so I don't spout it often but when we're making claims like "it's the worst decision ever", I have to chime in.

tldr; when you are on a budget, SSD should be a pretty low priority. Only spend the money if you have it. But get one for the OS if you can.

MayMay

Banned
Yeah.. an SSD is no necessity. One can always upgrade later on and buy one. If I was building a PC and was on a budget - the SSD would be the first thing I'd cut out lol.

My Laptop got an SSD, but my main PC that I use for gaming does not - and I don't really mind not having one in there tbh.

But if it's in the budget, then all is well - go for it!

Ensirius

That's some strong hyperbole here.

I'm of the opinion that if you're on a budget and that $100 you'd spend on a tiny SSD for the OS is going to impact the rest of the build, then you skip it. The money is much better spent on a good CPU/GPU. I'd even rank a quality case over a SSD.

It is really easy to throw a SSD in your system later. You can't incrementally upgrade a CPU or a GPU.

A SSD is nice. Windows boots fast, it's a little snappier. But when it comes to gaming, it's such a minimal impact.

I just added a SSD to my system a few months ago. It really didn't change much. Programs open a little quicker. Windows boots faster yes, but I would sleep my system anyways. No real change there.

I know it's not the popular opinion in here so I don't spout it often but when we're making claims like "it's the worst decision ever", I have to chime in.

tldr; when you are on a budget, SSD should be a pretty low priority. Only spend the money if you have it. But get one for the OS if you can.
If you are going build a computer and 100 €/$ means you do not get an SSD then I would wait a bit until I get that money and go all in.

Hard Drives are the biggest bottlenecks today.

garath

If you are going build a computer and 100 &#8364;/$ means you do not get an SSD then I would wait a bit until I get that money and go all in.

Hard Drives are the biggest bottlenecks today.

A bottleneck for what? What exactly is causing all that i/o on a harddrive these days? Between VRAM and RAM you'll never be hitting a swap in a game.

Boot time is the only sizable impact that I've found.

Looking good Riv. For an extra $100 - why not.

It's a new PC - let him splurge abit :-D

Sure. If you can afford it, why not? It is a nice quality of life improvement but hardly crucial.

Rivitur

Banned
Alright I'll have all day to think about this after I get some sleep x.x but after some thought I'll probably have the computer on sleep for the majority of the time so ssd isnt a priority. But I will certainly get a ssd at some point down the line unless my brother pitches in. In which case monitor and ssd it is.

Get a GTX780, i7 4770k, 16gb ram, msi Z87 G45 motherboard like me and enjoy every game in 1080peas @60fps while maxing the shit out of it
In the words of my fellow Hltvers "How much?"

Oh and before you guys think I'm rich or that I sell drugs. This money is from financial aid. Need 800 for next semester and got 1700 this semester so the budget is about 850.

Odah

Banned
Get a GTX780, i7 4770k, 16gb ram, msi Z87 G45 motherboard like me and enjoy every game in 1080peas @60fps while maxing the shit out of it

frbrr

Hey this is all still a learning experience and thanks to garath, lurio, and chinzo I now have ssd. (PC GAF failed me)

And the specs are still up in the air and available to criticize

For new page.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LFTNZL

looks pretty good.
the cooler that comes with the CPU isn't even that loud, so unless you have a massive hard-on for silent computers or plan to overclock right away, the extra CPU cooler is something you can cut.
When you're in game all the noise will be from the graphics card anyway.

Rivitur

Banned
Alright matches today...

NV odds are way to high but they should win vs LGB. (Already started)
TMS vs Penta can get hairy but expect tms to win.
VP vs Property is a good underdog bet on property. (Small bet now)
Na'vi vs Mouse... How the hell are the odds so high for NA'vi? Either way low bet mouse (I think they'll win but again rule #1 don't bet on a mousesports game)
Property vs Dig looks good as well but should be 60/40 for dig.(look for the upset but property seem to struggle at time getting 16-5 and stuff at times so be warned)
Fnatic vs NV (probably) take Fnatic

Hmm... I think I'll keep the cooler since it can get to 100 here in the summer.

Xizk

Welp already lost the LGB ICB as they have two standins. I like how they waited until bets were locked to announce it. Still only need to win 1/3 of my remaining bets to profit. I can see Mouz or Property taking their matches. Penta's chances are smaller.

garath

I bet on fnatic (med) and mouz (small). I have a couple bigger (for me) skins left but I don't feel comfortable putting them anywhere else.

udiie

fingers crossed.
hqFTgwZ.png

udiie

Property kicks ass. I keep saying this.
I should do a giveaway. Maybe when I get home. I wanted to save a prize for a GAF game top fragger, but that dream is dead probably.

Xizk

I don't get why VP are so bad on d2 CT. They are a great CT team on other maps. I only needed 1 win tonight and I got it so I'm happy.

Top Bottom