• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I know some of you are excited to roll up your sleeves again for a booster, so sharing this White House presentation on how they plan to roll this out.

"Get your booster shot 8 months after you got your second shot."

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Last edited by a moderator:
I know some of you are excited to roll up your sleeves again for a booster, so sharing this White House presentation on how they plan to roll this out.

"Get your booster shot 8 months after you got your second shot."

The fact they still keep trotting Fauci out there like he has any credibility at this point is embarrassing. That guy has waffled on every position so much that Aunt Jemima called looking for an endorsement. He’s less a scientist/doctor than he is a mouthpiece for whoever is in charge. And in case anyone has a problem with that, let me just remind you:

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The fact they still keep trotting Fauci out there like he has any credibility at this point is embarrassing. That guy has waffled on every position so much that Aunt Jemima called looking for an endorsement. He’s less a scientist/doctor than he is a mouthpiece for whoever is in charge. And in case anyone has a problem with that, let me just remind you:

Sadly, he is The Science to a great many (possibly even a majority) of people in this country.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't expect Europe to be more rational about this, but here we are.

6. Should children and teachers wear masks in schools?

Within the community, the use of face masks is recommended, particularly in indoor settings when it is not possible to maintain physical distancing. However, in school settings, implementing this measure is challenging, as children (<12 years) may have a lower tolerance to wearing masks for extended periods of time, and may fail to use the masks properly.

In primary schools, the use of face masks is recommended for teachers and other adults when physical distancing cannot be guaranteed, but it is not recommended for students. In secondary schools, the use of face masks is recommended for both students and adults (masks for children >12 years). The use of masks should be seen as a complementary measure, rather than a stand-alone measure to prevent transmission within schools.

Visors are not recommended as a substitute for face masks due to the lack of sufficient evidence of effectiveness. However, they may be considered in settings where efficient communication is not possible when wearing a face mask, such as when working with children who have hearing impairment.

Physical distancing, respiratory etiquette, hand hygiene, and staying at home when ill are all still important measures for reducing transmission in schools, irrespective of whether masks are being used.

Jaysen

Banned
Lol people still trying to discredit Fauci. Why are dumb people so afraid of smart people?

Last edited:
Sadly, he is The Science to a great many (possibly even a majority) of people in this country.
Case in point:
Lol people still trying to discredit Fauci. Why are dumb people so afraid of smart people?
Generally the people who ride his jock don’t really mount much of a defense for some of the ridiculous positions he’s taken the past year and a half. It’s just general defensiveness, like above, or evasive excuse making. But there really is no defense for the guy, which is why even our resident expert on stupid here didn’t even try.

Is “Fauci smart, you dumb” really the most you can muster?

Last edited:

He is the High Priest of Scientism, people like Jaysen are still praying at his altar.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
He is the High Priest of Scientism

???

REyUS7F.jpg

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
He is the High Priest of Scientism, people like Jaysen are still praying at his altar.
people are just looking for guidance. who else can they trust? trump? facebook? cnn? fox? bret Weinstein? im all ears

putting Fauci's faults and blunders aside, who do you think is more credible?

Covid 19 might be a thing of the past soon. The Israeli scientists have developed a cure for the cytokine storm which is the main thing that kills in Covid 19.

I am still going to take the ivermectin tho. Id rather not get it at all if i could. And it helps against the flu and other illnesses too.

Dr. Suchong

Gold Member
Here’s the whole vid of kids getting pepper sprayed and detained by cops. Scary.

I wouldn't normally comment on this particular topic because in all honesty i'd be out of my depth and embarrass myself.
But the situation in Australia looks like nightmare fuel.
Are these reports legit?

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Covid 19 might be a thing of the past soon. The Israeli scientists have developed a cure for the cytokine storm which is the main thing that kills in Covid 19.

I am still going to take the ivermectin tho. Id rather not get it at all if i could. And it helps against the flu and other illnesses too.
This is from February 2021
The Lord Of The Rings GIF

We have seen enough them, I think, to warrant such concern. Between this whole handling of the pandemic and Afghanistan, our leaders are failing us miserably.
That's the very thing that is in need of change. They are not *our* leaders. To defer to them is the mistake. Those who serve as figure heads of "democracy" have long, long ago abandoned the people is service to financial/power interests. We should return that sentiment and walk new roads.

RAÏSanÏa

This seems to be where the narrative is taking us.

that other tweet about organ transplants that asked about an oath got me looking at the HO.

A Modern Version of the Hippocratic Oath

I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:

I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures which are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.

I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery.

I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.

I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick.

I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure.

I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.

If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help.

Lots of ethical and pragmatic wiggle room for triage and treatment to balance the empathy and compassion for all.
Prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure. <- really stands out in this regard.

Shit is absolutely disgusting. This is seriously reaching a tipping point. I say that as someone who has had the shots. This is getting WAY out of hand.
There is an absolutely incendiary volatility to the moment we're living in. We're in a room full of dynamite and there are smokers lighting up all over the place. Things are about to get intense. Buckle up everyone. It's going to be a *very* bumpy ride imho.

KiNeMz

Banned
Australia holy shit. They are fucked

Ok this is a bit too much.

First of all Gladys is not the Premiere of Australia. She is the Premiere of NSW a state of Australia.

I am in Melbourne, Victoria.
Yes we are in a lockdown
Yes we cannot go more than 5 kms from our homes at this stage
Yes we cannot go more than 2 hours of exercise outside

We are allowed to go to the shops, buy food necessities. Shopping seems pretty much business as usual
Yes we are asked to check in with an App. As much as some dont like this, I actually like it since they will notify me if someone with Covid was in that location when I was there. That's in main purpose to contact trace.
We are allowed to travel more than 5km for work or medical appointments ( I did so yesterday. Was a normal drive out west with a little less traffic.)

Melbourne has a little different approach where they are locking down hard to prevent spread and hopefully get on top of it. NSW is locking down specific suburbs in Sydney and outer regions to hope minimize spread. 2 differnet approaches. The rest of the states have barely had any lockdown, which makes up probably 50-60% of the country.

This quarantine center:
Is for International travelers landing in Australia. All International travelers must quarantine for 14 days. Currently they quarantine in hotels. Which are not fit for purpose.
This is something that a lot of the public have been requesting for including all people in my circles. We are on this Zero covid model and every time Covid has come into our Island country, it was due to a leak from an international traveler passing it on to someone who worked at one of the Quarantine Hotels or in close contact. This center is to better handle the international traveler situation.

He is right that we have been in lockdown for 200 days. But that is only in my state Victoria. That's 20%-30% of the country. To be fair it has not been 2300 days running. Its been in segmented lockdowns. We come out of lockdown and then something happens. The most recent reason for our lockdown was because 2 removalists travelled from Sydney to Melbourne with Covid and spread it some apartments not far from my home. It spread quick and fast and we were almost on top of it and then bang the Vic Premiere locked us down again.

Don't get me wrong though, I am absolutely fed up with this strategy, I'm sick of the lockdowns and I do care more for all the people who are either taking their lives due to loneliness, school pressure, family issues, work related or business issues. Its fucken ridiculous and the government needs to checked and checked hard. It has become a totalitarian authoritarian governance under the guise of emergency public health issue but yea its the craziest time toi live. They say we need to reach 80% vaccination before lockdowns can be eased, which I just dont see happening. The understanding of this Virus, Vaccine and medical treatments are changing daily. We are at 27% or something like that. It will take another 12-18 months to vax the whole population and is it even an achievable outcome to hit 80%. The single pronged approach is wrong in my opinion and they need to start investigating outpatient treatments alongside vaccination. Especially when booster shots are now the talk of the town due to waning protection, which then increases everyone's risk to adverse reaction also.

So as much as I am in disgust with my government, its not as bad as that video makes it out to be. Its somewhere in the middle.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Shit is absolutely disgusting. This is seriously reaching a tipping point. I say that as someone who has had the shots. This is getting WAY out of hand.
Isn't triage about determining who has a more likely chance of surviving? All other things being equal, isn't a vaccinated person more likely to survive than an unvaccinated person? How would you evaluate this variable when assessing triage of patients?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
?
Seems pretty reasonable to me. Not sure I would prefer the opposite of having someone who refused to get a vaccine and then caught COVID in an ICU bed, while someone who was hit by a car crossing the street is left to die in a regular bed.

carlosrox

Banned

The world's been on full retard mode since early last year.

Getting out of hand NOW? Where ya been?

This is the fucktard world people wanna live in.
63waRCF.jpg

vpance

Ok this is a bit too much.

First of all Gladys is not the Premiere of Australia. She is the Premiere of NSW a state of Australia.

I am in Melbourne, Victoria.
Yes we are in a lockdown
Yes we cannot go more than 5 kms from our homes at this stage
Yes we cannot go more than 2 hours of exercise outside

We are allowed to go to the shops, buy food necessities. Shopping seems pretty much business as usual
Yes we are asked to check in with an App. As much as some dont like this, I actually like it since they will notify me if someone with Covid was in that location when I was there. That's in main purpose to contact trace.
We are allowed to travel more than 5km for work or medical appointments ( I did so yesterday. Was a normal drive out west with a little less traffic.)

Melbourne has a little different approach where they are locking down hard to prevent spread and hopefully get on top of it. NSW is locking down specific suburbs in Sydney and outer regions to hope minimize spread. 2 differnet approaches. The rest of the states have barely had any lockdown, which makes up probably 50-60% of the country.

This quarantine center:
Is for International travelers landing in Australia. All International travelers must quarantine for 14 days. Currently they quarantine in hotels. Which are not fit for purpose.
This is something that a lot of the public have been requesting for including all people in my circles. We are on this Zero covid model and every time Covid has come into our Island country, it was due to a leak from an international traveler passing it on to someone who worked at one of the Quarantine Hotels or in close contact. This center is to better handle the international traveler situation.

He is right that we have been in lockdown for 200 days. But that is only in my state Victoria. That's 20%-30% of the country. To be fair it has not been 2300 days running. Its been in segmented lockdowns. We come out of lockdown and then something happens. The most recent reason for our lockdown was because 2 removalists travelled from Sydney to Melbourne with Covid and spread it some apartments not far from my home. It spread quick and fast and we were almost on top of it and then bang the Vic Premiere locked us down again.

Don't get me wrong though, I am absolutely fed up with this strategy, I'm sick of the lockdowns and I do care more for all the people who are either taking their lives due to loneliness, school pressure, family issues, work related or business issues. Its fucken ridiculous and the government needs to checked and checked hard. It has become a totalitarian authoritarian governance under the guise of emergency public health issue but yea its the craziest time toi live. They say we need to reach 80% vaccination before lockdowns can be eased, which I just dont see happening. The understanding of this Virus, Vaccine and medical treatments are changing daily. We are at 27% or something like that. It will take another 12-18 months to vax the whole population and is it even an achievable outcome to hit 80%. The single pronged approach is wrong in my opinion and they need to start investigating outpatient treatments alongside vaccination. Especially when booster shots are now the talk of the town due to waning protection, which then increases everyone's risk to adverse reaction also.

So as much as I am in disgust with my government, its not as bad as that video makes it out to be. Its somewhere in the middle.

Thanks for the insight. I was hoping an Aussie would chime in on these crazy developments.

Is the mask enforcement really that absurd? Like getting pulled over for not masking up in your car? Getting harassed by police outside? The fact that outdoor spread has never proven to even be an issue makes all these reports and vids of arrests for outdoor mask infractions even more bizarre. What is their justification for going this far?

Happy to comply… as though there was any choice. Does Australia have elections? Who is voting for this insanity?

I think it's basically a one party system there, like Canada is.

Isn't triage about determining who has a more likely chance of surviving? All other things being equal, isn't a vaccinated person more likely to survive than an unvaccinated person? How would you evaluate this variable when assessing triage of patients?
So is there evidence that vaccinated icu patients fare better than unvaccinated ones? And no, raw survival numbers are not relevant. We are talking about vaccinated people who have developed advanced pneumonia to the point where they require icu care. What are the survival statistics for those patients vs unvaccinated patients? Do those numbers even exist?

Perhaps in a vacuum, it could be factored in. But to what degree? Nothing in healthcare is in a vacuum. Is it more important than age? BMI? Comorbidities? How much weight should vaccination carry? What are we basing that one? Gut feelings? Or are we doing it because the vaccinated are more virtuous simply because they are vaccinated, so we don’t need to base any of this on data? Maybe it’s more a moral question.

Last edited:
Of course they aren't. They may ruin your point. God forbid that happens.
Do you need me to explain why raw numbers for survival rates of vaccinated vs unvaccinated people with covid is not a reliable comparison to comparison to vaccinated/unvaccinated people who’s covid has progressed to pneumonia and ARDS which requires ICU?

For instance, a drug may be very good at preventing cancer from progressing from stage 1 to stage 4. But in patients where the drug proves ineffective and the cancer progresses despite the drug, the survival rate becomes the same regardless. I’m not saying that’s the case here. But I’d need some evidence if we are going to choose who lives and who dies like this. What about the amount of time since vaccination? If I got vaccinated 8 months ago and someone else got vaccinated six weeks ago, who gets priority? Or is the vaccine just a gold star that says your a good person so you should be treated better?

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Do you need me to explain why raw numbers for survival rates of vaccinated vs unvaccinated people with covid is not a reliable comparison to comparison to vaccinated/unvaccinated people who’s covid has progressed to pneumonia and ARDS which requires ICU?
Do you need me to explain that unvaccinated people are more likely to get Covid than vaccinated people? Which obviously means by the numbers they are more likely to suffer from severe side effects. Which means that by the numbers they are more likely to be hospitalized. Which means by the numbers they are more likely to die. This is not a complicated thought process and you are clearly an intelligent person based on my interactions with you. Don't pretend to be stupid please. It's embarrassing.

Don't let your viewpoints on the matter get in the way of the facts of the matter.

Top Bottom