• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
New report that confirms the discrepancy between vaccinated people and unvaccinated people.

What is already known about this topic?

Although COVID-19 vaccines are highly effective, some fully vaccinated persons will be infected with SARS-CoV-2.

What is added by this report?

During May 1–July 25, 2021, among 43,127 SARS-CoV-2 infections in residents of Los Angeles County, California, 10,895 (25.3%) were in fully vaccinated persons, 1,431 (3.3%) were in partially vaccinated persons, and 30,801 (71.4%) were in unvaccinated persons. On July 25, infection and hospitalization rates among unvaccinated persons were 4.9 and 29.2 times, respectively, those in fully vaccinated persons. In July, when the Delta variant was predominant, cycle threshold values were similar for unvaccinated, partially vaccinated, and vaccinated persons.

What are the implications for public health practice?

Efforts to enhance COVID-19 vaccination coverage, in coordination with other prevention strategies, are critical to preventing COVID-19–related hospitalizations and deaths.

Rbk_3

I've known this guy for years and see him often. I doubt he's making shit up - he comes from a family that has a lot of people in academia, business, high civil servants, etc.

I am not even saying this is true, just that bureocrats in the european union believe it is.

If that is even remotely true, why would China have the strongest lockdown policies in the world? If that were their goal, wouldn't they just let it run rampant through the population?

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

I've known this guy for years and see him often. I doubt he's making shit up - he comes from a family that has a lot of people in academia, business, high civil servants, etc.

I am not even saying this is true, just that bureocrats in the european union believe it is.
It makes zero sense. It would suggest that the bureaucrats are a bunch of idiots.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
One thing I am curious about. If this becomes endemic(if it isn’t already) and COVID is just always hanging around, then how is that handled, and if it’s just continuing these mandates in perpetuity, the. at what point do the people who are currently obedient with mandates eventually start to turn. It’s a lot easier to comply with anything when your mindset is it’s temporary. I’ve been someone who’s been totally fine wearing masks and distancing. It doesn’t really bother me, and I’m immuno compromised. But I will admit that part of that acceptance has been that at some point well be cool and back to normal.

I’m lucky enough to have a batch of N95’s and I was wearing one at the doctors office the other day and the wait time for this doctor was insane, and after about an hour it started to pinch the hell out of my nose, and I had to go to the bathroom just to take it off and give it a rest. That was the first time where I had my “this is getting annoying now” moment. I never really had one before.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie

Just heartbreaking. Hits especially close to home being married to a healthcare worker who was pregnant when we got covid…thankfully our child is fine and the only lingering side effect is weird sense of taste/smell for her.

the worst part is they tried to get an ECMO machine but they couldnt get one because all nearby hospitals were full and had no machines left . by the time one opened up it was too late. just horrible

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
One thing I am curious about. If this becomes endemic(if it isn’t already) and COVID is just always hanging around, then how is that handled, and if it’s just continuing these mandates in perpetuity, the. at what point do the people who are currently obedient with mandates eventually start to turn. It’s a lot easier to comply with anything when your mindset is it’s temporary. I’ve been someone who’s been totally fine wearing masks and distancing. It doesn’t really bother me, and I’m immuno compromised. But I will admit that part of that acceptance has been that at some point well be cool and back to normal.

I’m lucky enough to have a batch of N95’s and I was wearing one at the doctors office the other day and the wait time for this doctor was insane, and after about an hour it started to pinch the hell out of my nose, and I had to go to the bathroom just to take it off and give it a rest. That was the first time where I had my “this is getting annoying now” moment. I never really had one before.

if you need to wear N95 for prolonged periods of time or prone to facial sweating, don't wear the ones with the metal bars. they caused some serious skin breakdown on the bridge of my nose when I had to wear them for consecutive days

I recommend these
gvBdXq9.jpg

I'd probably use 1 per week for casual use.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

Worst case scenario the Covid shots become regular like the flu shots, but are actually required unlike the flu shots due to the increased danger of Covid and it just becomes a new part of life like all of the usual vaccines before it. Best case scenario vaccines are improved to the point where they are less regular and/or Covid quietly fades away as time goes on due to a variety of reasons.

The better sides of both cases relies on people not being stupid about vaccinations and basic common sense precautions though so my hopes are not high. The abject ignorance that has been displayed in the last year and a half when it comes to the most basic things regarding this pandemic has done nothing to give me confidence in our ability to handle this.

decisions

I think this whole thing has just made me realize how bad mathematics education is throughout the US. I was a math major myself so obviously I went way beyond what everyone should have to do, but I really think that a lot of people just don't understand how to wrap their minds around basic concepts of probability or scale, or really numbers in general.

In other words, at this point people against the vaccine are more fearful about something that almost never causes serious reactions than they are about a virus which is ruining modern life and has the growing potential to mutate into something more lethal and disruptive the longer we let it survive.

We can get an estimate of how dangerous the mRNA vaccines have been in practice by taking the number of VAERS-reported myocarditis events in Americans who have taken them divided by the sum of the number of Pfizer/Modern vaccine doses given divided by two. The denominator here gives an estimate of how many people have received mRNA vaccines in the US (though, the next step for accuracy is to remove the doses for partially vaccinated people from here, but the problem with this is that we don’t know which myocarditis cases came from partially vaccinated or fully vaccinated people).

Assuming all VAERS-reported cases of myocarditis/pericarditis (so far the only side effect to have been shown to have a possible direct link to the mRNA vaccines) were in fact caused by the mRNA vaccines, you have about
1306 / ((202051500 + 142239152) / 2)
= 1306 / 172,145,326
= 0.000007586613185.

This is an extremely low number. COVID has dramatically decreased the quality of modern life for a year and a half.

Meanwhile COVID has killed over 600,000 Americans. Of the population, this is
648161 / 328200000 = 0.001974896405.

This is a low number, but significantly higher than the risk of suffering a major side effect from an mRNA vaccine. These are not side effects either (many people survive myocarditis), these are deaths. Get the vaccine. You cannot go back to a world where COVID doesn't exist - you must take the risk of getting the vaccine or getting COVID. When faced with these two risks, you should take the option with extremely low risk.

I can only conclude that there is a large portion of the US population who do not have a basic understanding of numbers. US education varies heavily in quality and has allowed some to triumph, but also failed many. It causes me great pain to know that I may see some of my family members on ventilators in the coming weeks and months because they cannot be reasoned with. They are afraid of the vaccine but think they will not get the virus or get sick from it. They do not understand numbers.

Sources: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1198516/covid-19-vaccinations-administered-us-by-company/
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/adverse-events.html

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

Banned
I think this whole thing has just made me realize how bad mathematics education is throughout the US. I was a math major myself so obviously I went way beyond what everyone should have to do, but I really think that a lot of people just don't understand how to wrap their minds around basic concepts of probability or scale, or really numbers in general.

In other words, at this point people against the vaccine are more fearful about something that almost never causes serious reactions than they are about a virus which is ruining modern life and has the growing potential to mutate into something more lethal and disruptive the longer we let it survive.

We can get an estimate of how dangerous the mRNA vaccines have been in practice by taking the number of VAERS-reported myocarditis events in Americans who have taken them divided by the sum of the number of Pfizer/Modern vaccine doses given divided by two. The denominator here gives an estimate of how many people have received mRNA vaccines in the US.

Assuming all VAERS-reported cases of myocarditis/pericarditis (so far the only side effect to have been shown to have a possible direct link to the mRNA vaccines) were in fact caused by the mRNA vaccines, you have about
= 1306 / 172,145,326
= 0.000007586613185.

This is an extremely low number. COVID has dramatically decreased the quality of modern life for a year and a half.

This is a low number, but significantly higher than the risk of suffering a major side effect from an mRNA vaccine. These are not side effects either (many people survive myocarditis), these are deaths. Get the vaccine. You cannot go back to a world where COVID doesn't exist - you must take the risk of getting the vaccine or getting COVID. When faced with these two risks, you should take the option with extremely low risk.

I can only conclude that there is a large portion of the US population who do not have a basic understanding of numbers. US education varies heavily in quality and has allowed some to triumph, but also failed many. It causes me great pain to know that I may see some of my family members on ventilators in the coming weeks and months because they cannot be reasoned with. They are afraid of the vaccine but think they will not get the virus or get sick from it. They do not understand numbers.

Sources: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1198516/covid-19-vaccinations-administered-us-by-company/
I mean there are also a ton of people who are concerned about long term side effects which studies can't be done on because there hasn't been enough time to do them. I won't argue that the vaccine is probably safe in the short term and I'm not saying people should not get vaccinated but lets not pretend catching covid is a sure guarantee that you will end up on a ventilator.

decisions

I mean there are also a ton of people who are concerned about long term side effects which studies can't be done on because there hasn't been enough time to do them. I won't argue that the vaccine is probably safe in the short term and I'm not saying people should not get vaccinated but lets not pretend catching covid is a sure guarantee that you will end up on a ventilator.

The problem with this argument is that, if we’re going pull things out of thin air, you can say the same thing about COVID. Viruses can have long-term effects too, as happened with previous pandemics like the Spanish Flu. So it’s a null point, and you have to choose the least dangerous based on the data we have.

Dr_Salt

Banned
The problem with this argument is that, if we’re going pull things out of thin air, you can say the same thing about COVID. Viruses can have long-term effects too, as happened with previous pandemics like the Spanish Flu. So it’s a null point, and you have to choose the least dangerous based on the data we have.
Yea its a gamble and there is no fully safe decision but unless your family members are either obese, old or suffer from a chronic disease they will be fine.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yea its a gamble and there is no fully safe decision but unless your family members are either obese, old or suffer from a chronic disease they will be fine.
You're still misunderstanding the point, and applying flawed risk assessment.

Based on all available information and acknowledging unknowns from both COVID and the vaccines, getting the vaccine is much less risky than living life unvaccinated.

It's gambling with wildly differing odds and the same payout, not dying.

You're at a roulette wheel with a thousand numbers. You can bet on odd/even or a single number and the payout is the same. It would be pretty dumb to bet on a number but there is a huckster saying you should trust your luck over the odds.

Star-Lord

More than 1,000 Latitude Festival attendees later tested positive for Covid, according to government figures.
One of the government's Covid test events, about 37,000 visitors were at the venue daily from 21 to 24 July.
All festival-goers needed to be fully vaccinated or test negative but findings showed 432 people were probably infectious at the time.
Stuart Keeble, director of Suffolk Public Health, said Covid was "still circulating in the county".
I wonder if this will change anything.

FunkMiller

If that is even remotely true, why would China have the strongest lockdown policies in the world? If that were their goal, wouldn't they just let it run rampant through the population?

The whole China released it deliberately conspiracy theory is pretty typical. Conspiracy theories like this exist to give people some sort of feeling of control over events. Far easier and more comfortable to believe that humans were deliberately responsible, than the actual truth - it was a completely random event that could happen again, and there’s nothing you, your gun, and your friends on Facebook can do to stop it.

China are responsible for Covid 19 obviously, but because of their disgusting approach to animal welfare, climate change and the environment. That’s not as sexy as evil Chinese make virus in a lab to kill Americans though.

Last edited:

We can get an estimate of how dangerous the mRNA vaccines have been in practice by taking the number of VAERS-reported myocarditis events in Americans who have taken them divided by the sum of the number of Pfizer/Modern vaccine doses given divided by two. The denominator here gives an estimate of how many people have received mRNA vaccines in the US (though, the next step for accuracy is to remove the doses for partially vaccinated people from here, but the problem with this is that we don’t know which myocarditis cases came from partially vaccinated or fully vaccinated people).

= 1306 / 172,145,326
= 0.000007586613185.

It has being know for some time, since VAERS exists, that most side effects of all vaccines are not reported into VAERS (and it's normal how would you know a side effect is caused by the vaccine?). On the other hand all Covid death are carefully reported (and then some).

ManaByte

Gold Member

(Bloomberg) -- U.S. President Joe Biden received a classified report from intelligence services that was inconclusive about the origins of the virus, the Washington Post reported. China vowed to retaliate against those questioning whether the virus escaped from its labs, days before the U.S. plans to release the findings.

CAB_Life

We were told by the MSM and Fauci-certified crack investigators that it came from a wetmarket bat for upwards of two years now. Still waiting for someone to produce said bat. I guess Chinese bioengineers haven’t quite perfected the breed yet.

We should be able to pursue this investigation as far as it will go, with the support of UN allies and regardless of China’s posturing and threats.

ManaByte

Gold Member
We were told by the MSM and Fauci-certified crack investigators that it came from a wetmarket bat for upwards of two years now. Still waiting for someone to produce said bat. I guess Chinese bioengineers haven’t quite perfected the breed yet.

We should be able to pursue this investigation as far as it will go, with the support of UN allies and regardless of China’s posturing and threats.

It could still have come from the market AND the lab...if the lab sold bats to that market that were used in the experiments.

Dr_Salt

Banned
You're still misunderstanding the point, and applying flawed risk assessment.

Based on all available information and acknowledging unknowns from both COVID and the vaccines, getting the vaccine is much less risky than living life unvaccinated.
In the short term. Like you said there are many unknowns from covid and the vaccine. If you are a young healthy person you have overwhelming odds you will survive it and thats a fact. Yea living with the vaccine is less risky but don't act as if covid was some kind of humanity ending disease where if you get it you will surely die.
It's gambling with wildly differing odds and the same payout, not dying.

You're at a roulette wheel with a thousand numbers. You can bet on odd/even or a single number and the payout is the same. It would be pretty dumb to bet on a number but there is a huckster saying you should trust your luck over the odds.
Like someone else said the odds of dying of covid is like playing rusian roulette with thousands of chambers. Unless you are someone with the characteristics I stated before you have overwhelming odds in your favor. I'm sorry man but a disease with 99% survivabilty doesn't really scream you should get vaccinated right now or die. I'm vaccinated but I understand those who don't want to.

Last edited:

CAB_Life

I was reading up on Lambda info on my break today, since Delta is already present and we should really be understanding/ planning for what comes next.

This part is a bit alarming:

Although it is not clear yet whether this variant is more dangerous than the Delta now threatening populations in many countries, senior researcher Kei Sato of the University of Tokyo believes "Lambda can be a potential threat to the human society."

Third mRNA dose may boost antibody quantity, but not quality

Among fully vaccinated people who never had COVID-19, getting a third dose of an mRNA vaccine from Pfizer (PFE.N)/BioNTech or Moderna (MRNA.O) would likely increase levels of antibodies, but not antibodies that are better able to neutralize new virus variants, Rockefeller University researchers reported on Thursday on bioRxiv ahead of peer review. They note that in COVID-19 survivors, the immune system's antibodies evolve during the first year, becoming more potent and better able to resist new variants. In 32 volunteers who never had COVID-19, they found that antibodies induced by mRNA vaccines did evolve between the first and second shots.

But five months later, vaccine-induced antibodies were "equivalent" to those seen after the second dose, with "little measurable improvement" in the antibodies' ability to neutralize a broad variety of new variants, said coauthor Michel Nussenzweig. Therefore, he said, giving those individuals a third dose of the same vaccine would likely result in higher levels of antibodies that remain less effective against variants.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

Yeah since all of the numbers are strongly suggesting that the effectiveness of the vaccines start to drop as time goes on and since we are all ready talking about booster shots I assume that means that when all of this is over we are going to get something akin to a flu shot for covid every year going forward. Or at least until we get a more effective long-term answer. Also like I said in a previous post it is very likely that this covid shot in whatever form that it takes will be a mandatory requirement for many businesses and companies. Both for employees and customers.

Which I am obviously fine with, but I hope that it doesn't stop the hunt for more long-term solution. Maybe something that only needs to be taken every other year for example.

Star-Lord

It won't we all wil get covid its that simple.

The question is how many got hospitalized and how many died. If both are 0, there is no issue here.
"It's that simple" is really not something I'd use when describing Covid-19. Nothing about this is simple. As stated earlier, I've lost both my parents to Covid in the space of a year and had the virus myself after having my first jab. I refuse to take anything about this virus lightly, and I have zero respect for anti-vaxxers and Covid-deniers. I believe double-jabbers will, for the most part, be safe (or, at least, safer) from the virus, but steps should be taken regardless if there were deaths or not. A case is a case, no matter how you look at it.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
"It's that simple" is really not something I'd use when describing Covid-19. Nothing about this is simple. As stated earlier, I've lost both my parents to Covid in the space of a year and had the virus myself after having my first jab. I refuse to take anything about this virus lightly, and I have zero respect for anti-vaxxers and Covid-deniers. I believe double-jabbers will, for the most part, be safe (or, at least, safer) from the virus, but steps should be taken regardless if there were deaths or not. A case is a case, no matter how you look at it.
jesus man, that is horrible.... I'm so sorry and I feel shame for how we have been behaving to each other

Thaedolus

I would like to meet this mythical family that’s entirely absent of old people, fat people, or people with chronic disease. What’re they putting in their water?

Star-Lord

jesus man, that is horrible.... I'm so sorry and I feel shame for how we have been behaving to each other
Nah, don't sweat it, man. I'm not looking for sympathy or for people to feel shame, I'm just highlighting the fact that Covid is very much real, it can kill, and that taking a casual, laidback 'simple' approach is of no help to anyone. The numbers don't lie.

Dr_Salt

Banned
I would like to meet this mythical family that’s entirely absent of old people, fat people, or people with chronic disease. What’re they putting in their water?
Maybe in America its normal to be fat and suffer from multiple chronic diseases idk. Thats too bad for you then I guess.

Top Bottom