• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

Dr. Suchong

Gold Member
IHjgF59y.jpeg
Covid 19 put "The Summer of George" on hold again. Poor Costanza..

RAÏSanÏa

Since Australia seems to be getting understandably anxious and wondering what to do to get out of the knot they're in.

They're starting where most nations were 18 months ago. They're looking to the high risk settings that other nations had causing all the deaths and cases at the start. Things like food processing plants and care homes. Each has their own risks, solutions and ongoing problems. Working on plans to keep those people alive and healthy should keep that spike in covid numbers lower when reopening. They got people educated and paid to find and lay that all out.
Manage fear of opening by communicating good plans based on avoiding the mistakes of others and copying those with the best outcomes. Add local flair.

----

Local regional stats currently watching like a competition to see the differences with similar population and different approaches.

cases - hosp - icu - deaths
BC: 655 - 187 - 103 - 2
AB: 920 - 431 - 106 - 4

Restrictions and higher vaccination rates keeping trend of lower cases in BC. Government modelling released today says case numbers won't drop and to expect plateau as restrictions take effect through month.

No new restrictions in Alberta. No public health communication. 431 in hospital in AB today. Thought of many of those being in icu tomorrow or next few days worrying. A similar percentage with BC would show widening in numbers. Timing and treatments. Personnel and product. Delivery. All could mitigate, make a difference.

Without change in AB expecting the exponential.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
427% increase in child cases over last month:

Meanwhile the long, slow process of getting the vaccines approved for children younger than twelve is still creeping along.....

Cases curve is bent downward and declining both globally and domestically for those that don't keep up with it. You will hear nothing about either of these from the news. It's kinda sad. You'd think it was worse than it's ever been if you just looked at reddit or mainstream news outlets. We should strive to be better about reporting positive and just accurate news always.

RAÏSanÏa

Cases curve is bent downward and declining both globally and domestically for those that don't keep up with it. You will hear nothing about either of these from the news. It's kinda sad. You'd think it was worse than it's ever been if you just looked at reddit or mainstream news outlets. We should strive to be better about reporting positive and just accurate news always.
It is good to hear when some are getting out of that part of the wave.

This is a good map that compares timing and magnitude of States/Provinces in North America waves. Can see some trending down. Arkansas looking better. Remember Hutchinson stopped fighting masks a few weeks back.

Western Canada is just at the start of the first part of Fall/Winter wave. Expect two waves again like last year, maybe a new variant. Somewhere a booster or updated mRNA next year. Back to now though, cases are starting higher than last year, but comparing to hospitalizations, icu and deaths to when cases were same levels as last Spring then those are way down. Vaccine. Things are way more open too. Both in BC in AB. Even with current restrictions in BC. Didn't rollback opening. Vaccine passport is coming. Lots more stuff opening in a big way. I'm happy with how my PHO is handling and communicating things.

Vaccine for 6 - 11 should be available in the next few months. Dosing was emphasized by the PHO.

Then more restrictions would be getting lifted as vaccine gets rolled out and data allows it.

Dev1lXYZ

The reason why the numbers seem “down” in Florida is because you can’t get tested here anymore. You have to do an off the shelf test- that you can’t report to FL Department of Health. It’s fucked up. Most people at my job operate like the virus doesn’t even exist. They don’t want to hear it. I don’t bring it up to anyone either. I text one other guy at work that is just as concerned as I am. Work itself is in a shambles. Low staff, morale is abysmal, and you have to pretend that every thing is okay. The USS Florida is sinking and we are the band playing tunes on the deck.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
The reason why the numbers seem “down” in Florida is because you can’t get tested here anymore. You have to do an off the shelf test- that you can’t report to FL Department of Health. It’s fucked up. Most people at my job operate like the virus doesn’t even exist. They don’t want to hear it. I don’t bring it up to anyone either. I text one other guy at work that is just as concerned as I am. Work itself is in a shambles. Low staff, morale is abysmal, and you have to pretend that every thing is okay. The USS Florida is sinking and we are the band playing tunes on the deck.
This is not something I can verify. But David Pakman is claiming that Florida is also purposefully submitting the numbers weekly instead of daily, at a strange interval so that it basically just counts half the week totals and is also a week behind every other Covid tracker site. Not really my area, but he tends to be good on detail oriented claims.

There have been multiple claims of data manipulation in Florida. Who knows.

What you're describing is pretty crazy. Sounds seriously awful.

Punished Miku

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't know what it was like 50 years ago when all these vaccines you get as a kid started being approved, but I bet long time ago people were begging to get a vaccine for these diseases. With many already infected hoping and praying these can even turn back the clock and make them normal.

Now, there's shit loads of vaccines for people as toddlers (you wont even remember getting the shot), it' free, and easily available from doctors to administer.

Yet, some people purposely avoid it.

Figure that one out.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Mental that he needs to remind his constituents about polio, but good for him for releasing the PSA.

dave_d

This is not something I can verify. But David Pakman is claiming that Florida is also purposefully submitting the numbers weekly instead of daily, at a strange interval so that it basically just counts half the week totals and is also a week behind every other Covid tracker site. Not really my area, but he tends to be good on detail oriented claims.

There have been multiple claims of data manipulation in Florida. Who knows.

What you're describing is pretty crazy. Sounds seriously awful.
I don't know what's going on with Florida's numbers. When I looked it up on John Hopkins University it's showing that Florida has had the single worst spike any state has ever had in this entire pandemic. (The graphics on the main page are adjusted for population.)

Loki

Count of Concision

Is he counting illegals or only legal residents? Because if not, it's only like 50% of the adult populace. :p

If there are that many "breakthrough" cases, what's the point of mandates? Yes, yes, I know - it would be even worse without the mandates. Possibly. Perhaps even obviously. But the point is that mandates exist in a balance between cost and benefit. If the "benefit" isn't nearly what was promised, is the cost - in terms of governmental encroachment on liberties, loss of medical privacy and bodily sovereignty etc. - worth it under this new cost/benefit calculation?

If anyone here knows, will Covid eventually become less dangerous as time goes on? I mean in comparison to seasonal influenza. I ask because I read this from John's Hopkins when trying to compare death rates:

"Flu: The World Health Organization estimates that 290,000 to 650,000 people die of flu-related causes every year worldwide.

The COVID-19 situation is changing rapidly. Since this disease is caused by a new virus, the vast majority of people do not yet have immunity to it. Doctors and scientists are working to estimate the mortality rate of COVID-19, but at present, it is thought to be substantially higher (possibly 10 times or more) than that of most strains of the flu."

New virus, lack of immunity. I read that as it gets less deadly over time as we acclimate to it. This isn't a reason to not get vaccinated. If a virus is at the height of it's lethality, it should be handled properly. I'm curious if the prevailing wisdom is that Covid will follow a pattern like other flus in that sense.

Belgorim

New video from Dr. John about how, as time goes on, the likelihood of everyone being exposed to this virus is probably a certainty.

We could have greatly reduced the spread of this virus or potentially even eliminated it with 90%+ vaccination rates and smart mitigation strategies, but it seems our global logistics and will as a society were not up to the task, sadly. As the days pass, our window of opportunity for that is less and less likely, and more experts put this virus into the endemic category.

This seems like how it has been talked about all the time. The curve they always showed (that communicated the maximal capacity of the hospital system and the importance of keeping the vertex lower) always had a pandemic part that was going to end eventually but eradication was never deemed possible.

I doubt small kids will be vaccinated in many places for one.

BadBurger

I got the Moderna in my veins.

Edit: for summary since it's bot checking

Moderna Inc.’s Covid vaccine generated more than double the antibodies of a similar shot made by Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE in research that compared immune responses evoked by the two inoculations.

The research looked at antibody levels against the coronavirus spike protein in about 1,600 workers at a major Belgium hospital system whose blood samples were analyzed 6 to 10 weeks after vaccination. The participants hadn’t been infected with the coronavirus before getting vaccinated. Levels among those who got two doses of the Moderna vaccine averaged 2,881 units per milliliter, compared with 1,108 units per milliliter among those who received two Pfizer doses.

The results, published Monday in a letter to the Journal of the American Medical Association, suggested the differences might be explained by the higher amount of active ingredient in the Moderna vaccine -- 100 micrograms, versus 30 micrograms in Pfizer-BioNTech -- or the slightly longer interval between doses of the Moderna vaccine -- four weeks, versus three weeks for Pfizer-BioNTech.

Last edited:

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
If anyone here knows, will Covid eventually become less dangerous as time goes on? I mean in comparison to seasonal influenza. I ask because I read this from John's Hopkins when trying to compare death rates:

"Flu: The World Health Organization estimates that 290,000 to 650,000 people die of flu-related causes every year worldwide.

The COVID-19 situation is changing rapidly. Since this disease is caused by a new virus, the vast majority of people do not yet have immunity to it. Doctors and scientists are working to estimate the mortality rate of COVID-19, but at present, it is thought to be substantially higher (possibly 10 times or more) than that of most strains of the flu."

New virus, lack of immunity. I read that as it gets less deadly over time as we acclimate to it. This isn't a reason to not get vaccinated. If a virus is at the height of it's lethality, it should be handled properly. I'm curious if the prevailing wisdom is that Covid will follow a pattern like other flus in that sense.
Most think it will get less deadly because the populace will become more immune through vaccines and antibodies from infection .. how long this takes.. no one knows
I’ve recall reading articles that think that will happen 2/3 years from now .. but no one knows

Is he counting illegals or only legal residents? Because if not, it's only like 50% of the adult populace. :p

If there are that many "breakthrough" cases, what's the point of mandates? Yes, yes, I know - it would be even worse without the mandates. Possibly. Perhaps even obviously. But the point is that mandates exist in a balance between cost and benefit. If the "benefit" isn't nearly what was promised, is the cost - in terms of governmental encroachment on liberties, loss of medical privacy and bodily sovereignty etc. - worth it under this new cost/benefit calculation?
Nop. Not worth it. Especially if you probably need your booster every year or 6 months.
Some countries already start to not count you as fully vaccinated anymore if your last shot is 6 months ago.

BadBurger

Sad story related to the reopening of schools:

To go with the previous thread created by an ICU doctor, here's one from an ICU nurse - and being a nurse she's predictably more candid:

Despite all other previous peer-reviewed, printed studies finding no benefit to Ivermectin in regards to COVID-19, two large studies continue. Maybe it will actually turn out to be a cheap and effective treatment. I'm not holding my breath:

The Mississippi Department of Health felt compelled last week to issue a special alert to doctors and hospitals about a spike in calls to its poison control center, warning that “at least 70% of the recent calls have been related to ingestion of livestock or animal formulations of ivermectin purchased at livestock supply centers.” At least one user was hospitalized.

Despite the negative results on ivermectin, however, research continues. It is one of several drugs approved for other diseases to be tested for their effect on COVID in a nationwide trial headed by Duke University researchers. The Duke trial was funded by the American Rescue Plan, the $1.9-trillion stimulus bill enacted in March. Paul voted against the bill. Another ivermectin study is being undertaken at the University of Minnesota.

Depressing to see 21% of those polled who are 18-29 responding that they will "Definitely not" get the vaccine:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Despite all other previous peer-reviewed, printed studies finding no benefit to Ivermectin in regards to COVID-19, two large studies continue. Maybe it will actually turn out to be a cheap and effective treatment. I'm not holding my breath:

It's very ironic to see how Rand Paul claims that politics is what's keeping ivermectin from being studied, while at the same time a study on ivermectin is being funded by a bill he voted against.

I hope that anyone who is desperate enough to take veterinary ivermectin does something that's actually useful and joins this study instead. At least they'll be supervised by medical professionals and get human-grade ivermectin.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Crazy

A New Jersey woman who went by the handle @AntiVaxMomma on Instagram has been charged with helping to run a business to distribute fake COVID-19 vaccination cards.

According to a press release from the New York state district attorney’s office, Jasmine Clifford, 31, a self-described entrepreneur from Lyndhurst, New Jersey, is accused of selling approximately 250 fake COVID-19 vaccination cards on Instagram, charging $200 per card. She’s also charged with falsely entering at least 10 people into New York state’s vaccine database for an additional $250, data which was transferred to New York state’s official Excelsior pass system.

Clifford, who had more than 300,000 followers on her main account @5starjaziii, is facing charges of criminal possession of a forged instrument in the second degree, offering a false instrument for filing in the first degree, and conspiracy in the fifth degree. An alleged co-conspirator Nadayza Barkley, 27, is facing similar charges, allegedly for using her position as a medical clinic worker in Patchogue, New York to enter names into the New York State vaccine database.

JOE KERNEN: Albert, in a New York paper, it’s the Post, COVID cure may be ready this year from a Pfizer drug it’s a, it’s a, you know which one I’m talking about PF-07321332 is what it said but it prevents a replication of COVID in the nose and it could be an oral medication and they’re calling it a cure, could be ready next year. Is that headline accurate?

BOURLA: Well, it is accurate that we are working on the variant and we’re actually on two, one is injectable and the other one as you just said it is an oral. And particularly the attention is on the oral of the world and of us because provides several advantages and one of them is that you don’t need to go to the hospital to get the treatment of which is the case with all the injectables so far but you can get it home. That could be a game changer. The compound that we are talking about and you said very well the numbers, it is a protease inhibitor. The good thing is that this is also the first molecule that is coming from this type of class, this is good thing because you can combine it with other classes. Also, the mechanism of action, it is such that it’s not expected to be subject to mutations, particularly because it’s not acting on the spike, as we all know, all the mutations that we are hearing right now are seeing this in the proteins of the spike. This one doesn’t work there so that allows us to believe that will be way more effective against the multiple variants. So, all good news. We are now progressing the studies and we will have more news around summer.

Just posting this here. A covid "cure" to be on the market next month.

ManaByte

Gold Member

Only $10,000 per pill.

Punished Miku

Speaking of money, NPR had a story I heard on the way to work today.

The average cost of a COVID hospital visit in my state is ~$20,000, and that is with most insurance companies waving the initial deductibles. As of right now, the vast majority of insurance carriers have stopped that grace period started when vaccines weren't widely available, and gone back to the normal full price with deductibles. Also, with hospitals filling up - they're starting to see many people's bills increase as they're sent to out of network hospitals where they don't get full coverage.

Last edited:

CAB_Life

Only $10,000 per pill.
And yet it will be produced in India for less than a dollar a dose. But out of their munificence Pfizer will find a way to “subsidize” the cost through insurance, government handouts, etc.

It bears repeating that while Covid is a real and dire issue, there are those who benefit from this unhappy occurrence.

BadBurger

So sad to see as the deaths are easily avoidable, and things don't seem to be slowing down for their lot.

There’s always a chance that a random mutation will occur that is a “mistake”. That mistake could be in the form of more contagious but less harmful. I say mistake because again, it’s random. However, with these variants there hasn’t been any indication that they are getting any less deadly.

So sad to see as the deaths are easily avoidable, and things don't seem to be slowing down for their lot.
It is their decision. There is nothing you can tell them to change their mind. I am sad about this because I know someone near who believes all this conspiracy, thinking won't have problems (has yet to get sick, so not sure it will be nothing or will devastate that person).

Crazy

Nothing to be surprised about, those people will try to find a way to make money out of this, since COVID is not "real", they can go and do this with a "clear consciousness", but they will kill other people as collateral damage. Not until this affects them personally, which may not even make them change.

It is their decision. There is nothing you can tell them to change their mind. I am sad about this because I know someone near who believes all this conspiracy, thinking won't have problems (has yet to get sick, so not sure it will be nothing or will devastate that person).
This isn’t true for the vast majority of unvaccinated people. They are just selfish cowards and need to run out of options before they do the right thing. We have seen this even with people in this thread getting vaccinated due to family or work forcing them. Political leaders/friends/family pressuring people, and mandates all push the needle.

I guess technically they haven’t changed their opinion on it, but the vaccine works all the same.

Sakura

It's not really that the virus gets less deadly because we gain immunity, but more that the virus changes over time, and the current strains of influenza are less deadly than the strains during the Spanish flu pandemic.
You should consider, influenza has been infecting humans for hundreds of years, maybe even more. It hasn't exactly been getting less dangerous as time goes on, more that there some years where a strain is particularly deadly and contagious. Our "acclimation" doesn't really matter.
A virus, like all organisms I guess, is designed to reproduce. And mutations that facilitate that reproduction get selected for. They don't get selected for lethality, because killing the host is not important, and if anything, a virus that is too deadly is detrimental to its ability to reproduce. This is why all the mutations that take hold, like the Delta variant we have now, are said to be more contagious than previous variants. A virus that is more contagious, is going to have a better chance of reproducing itself.
So, it is very possible that there will be a new strain that is less deadly, but is better at spreading itself, whether that be by bypassing natural/vaccine immunity, or simply by being more contagious, and the deadlier strains would slowly disappear.

so Pfizer is releasing their own horse paste? but this one is 10K per pill?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

sinnergy

There’s always a chance that a random mutation will occur that is a “mistake”. That mistake could be in the form of more contagious but less harmful. I say mistake because again, it’s random. However, with these variants there hasn’t been any indication that they are getting any less deadly.
Yup, but they seem to become more contagious.. so one could say more deadly , as the change a person that would die from Covid if they catch it is higher ..

thefool

ECDC new report about additional vaccination:
  • The available evidence at this time regarding ‘real world’ vaccine effectiveness and the duration of protection shows that all vaccines authorised in the EU/EEA are currently highly protective against COVID-19-related hospitalisation, severe disease and death, suggesting there is no urgent need for the administration of booster doses of vaccines to fully vaccinated individuals in the general population.
  • The option of administering an additional vaccine dose to people who may experience a limited response to the primary series of COVID-19 vaccination, such as some categories of immunocompromised individuals (e.g. solid organ transplant recipients), should already be considered now. This is to be seen as an extension of the primary vaccination series for these specific groups, and not as a booster. Consideration could also be given to providing an additional dose as a precautionary measure to older frail individuals, in particular those living in closed settings (e.g. residents of long-term care facilities).

Fairly conservative and standard stance considering they acknowledge how little we know about it:
9Ycc0DH.png

Loki

Count of Concision
This isn’t true for the vast majority of unvaccinated people. They are just selfish cowards and need to run out of options before they do the right thing. We have seen this even with people in this thread getting vaccinated due to family or work forcing them. Political leaders/friends/family pressuring people, and mandates all push the needle.

Jesus, listen to some of you. Terrible. Spoken like good little authoritarians.

Chaplain

Australia is taking a ‘zero Covid approach’ - they want to completely eliminate the virus from the country. Alexander Downer, the country's former foreign minister, writes in the magazine this week that his country is ‘trapped in a seemingly endless cycle of lockdowns.’ What’s the way out? Kate Andrews speaks to Alexander and Dr Andrew Lee, a public health expert from the University of Sheffield, who used to think 'zero Covid' was viable. (9/1/21)

Edited

Last edited:

Thaedolus

We’re talking about activities directly leading to the deaths of others in tangible, measurable ways. This isn’t precog/thought crime, it’s actually endangering innocent bystanders the same way drunk driving does. Some modicum of enforcement of matters in the state’s interests isn’t automatically authoritarian or bad.

Slaylock

We’re talking about activities directly leading to the deaths of others in tangible, measurable ways. This isn’t precog/thought crime, it’s actually endangering innocent bystanders the same way drunk driving does. Some modicum of enforcement of matters in the state’s interests isn’t automatically authoritarian or bad.
What's become clear with the delta variant is that everyone spread the virus, vaccinated or not. In fact, some vaccinated people may be the worst spreaders, since they carry the virus but may be largely asymptomatic.

Data from COVID-19 tests in the United States, the United Kingdom and Singapore are showing that vaccinated people who become infected with Delta SARS-CoV-2 can carry as much virus in their nose as do unvaccinated people. This means that despite the protection offered by vaccines, a proportion of vaccinated people can pass on Delta, possibly aiding its rise.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
People trying to pressure others into protecting themselves and everyone around them is not authoritarianism. Especially if its someone trying to pressure their friends or family to do it. That is literally what friends and family are for. Helping and supporting each other even when you don't agree with what they are doing.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
In fact, some vaccinated people may be the worst spreaders, since they carry the virus but may be largely asymptomatic.
Speculation, and not quite reflective of the data.

True, vaccinated people can be asymptomatic, but unvaccinated can be asymptomatic too. Are vaccinated people so much more likely to be asymptomatic as well as shedding active virus that it is more of a problem than unvaccinated people? That is unknown.

What we do know, when looking at the charts, is that across multiple countries, vaccinated people are getting infected at a much lower rate than unvaccinated people, so if everyone were vaccinated, the spread would probably be lower. We also know that vaccinated people reduce their viral loads more quickly over time, and recover from illness more quickly over time, so their window of infectiousness is probably shorter as well.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

Shocked Futurama GIF

Horse Reaction GIF
It’s amazing how much unregulated unproven shit these retards are willing to pump their body with to fight what moments ago they were telling us was a supposedly harmless virus, but are too fucking afraid to take one of the safest and most proven vaccines we have available.

Last edited:
Top Bottom