• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

Thaedolus

What's become clear with the delta variant is that everyone spread the virus, vaccinated or not. In fact, some vaccinated people may be the worst spreaders, since they carry the virus but may be largely asymptomatic.

Do vaccinated people end up in the hospital at anywhere close to the same rate? Do they take up ICU beds at the same rate? Did I not also mention masks? Hey maybe try not to cherry pick out the one thing you think might prove your flawed analysis right

dave_d

Shocked Futurama GIF

Horse Reaction GIF
Wait, predinsone? That's an immunosuppressant. I mean I know people take dexamethasone to prevent a cytokine storm but I'd be really careful taking anything like that if I it wasn't an immediate concern. Is he vaccinated?

dave_d

He's taking Z-paks? I don't believe azithromycin has been proven to do anything. Kitchen sink approach, for sure.
Do people with covid have problems getting bacterial pneumonia via a secondary infection or something? (I haven't heard anything like that but I haven't been looking either.)

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
Joe Rogan has a YOLO mentality and him getting COVID doesn’t surprise me he’s great for UFC, hunting, podcasts etc. anyone getting COVID is awful.

Thaedolus

I’m sure Joe will be fine considering he’s getting monoclonal antibodies and he’s in good shape but throwing in ivermectin in there sure as fuck is going to make everyone who wants to believe, believe

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I think most people who do the things he does mma, comedy have a 20% or more ignorance what’s your point? Because I agree he’s ignorant but there’s a smart person out there who also got COVID.
Ignorance and intelligence are two separate things. Extremely intelligent people make stupid decisions out of ignorance all the time.

Rogan is clearly an intelligent man, but he has a blind spot about 16 miles wide when it comes to conspiracy nonsense.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Do people with covid have problems getting bacterial pneumonia via a secondary infection or something? (I haven't heard anything like that but I haven't been looking either.)
IIRC there might have been some research that suggested azithromycin could have anti-viral properties in vitro, but when tested in vivo, it was a bunch of nothing. Same story that happened with HCQ, and what seems to be developing with IVM.

dave_d

I’m sure Joe will be fine considering he’s getting monoclonal antibodies and he’s in good shape but throwing in ivermectin in there sure as fuck is going to make everyone who wants to believe, believe
Makes sense, part of the treatment for rabies is antibody therapy. Unfortunately it's apparently quite expensive. (I'm guessing the same is true of covid.)

RAÏSanÏa

Shocked Futurama GIF

Horse Reaction GIF
The guy shotguns a spectrum of new treatments with different vectors, different and unknown effectiveness all at once. Probably didn't hurt himself but pinpointing what actually helped from the panic at the pharmacy ain't likely to happen. He went harder than Gwyneth.

Add him to the experimental battery of treatments pile for observation. Hope he didn't fuck himself up, if he did another cautionary tale.

Fear makes people do weird shit.
Won't vaccinate, but all this dosing seems logical.

Nobody_Important

I'd be willing to bet that you'd actually prefer him to die.
Nobody is wishing death on anyone here get out with that. I think Rogan is exploited for his ignorance and I have adamantly disliked him for years and even I wish him the best during this. Nobody deserves to die in the way that Covid takes you. No matter their beliefs or ignorant opinions.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!

Nobody has died as a result of the outbreak. However, 13 people sought treatment at an emergency room and five people had to be hospitalized. All of those hospitalized were unvaccinated.

Overall, the CDC said, 1,127 people from at least four states were exposed to COVID-19 either by attending the church gatherings or coming in close contact with someone who had.

A group of more than 220 children's hospitals is imploring the Biden administration for help, as a surge of young COVID-19 patients puts an "unprecedented strain" on their facilities and staff across the country.

Pediatric hospitals are "at or near capacity" and they expect to see more child patients as the school year resumes, according to the Children's Hospital Association.

Most smart people already knew 1,5 years ago masks worked .. no research needed , which burned money ..

Unfortunately there were people even here in this thread not too long ago, perhaps within the past week or so, who were absolutely dismayed that we acknowledged masks - combined with social distancing - help to vastly reduce the spread. Beyond just the common sense of it (cover mouth and nose, spread less particulates), there has been study after study after study confirming it. Some people are just too far gone, too anti-science.

Loki

Count of Concision
We’re talking about activities directly leading to the deaths of others in tangible, measurable ways. This isn’t precog/thought crime, it’s actually endangering innocent bystanders the same way drunk driving does. Some modicum of enforcement of matters in the state’s interests isn’t automatically authoritarian or bad.

The level of threat is not proportionate to the response. Not by a longshot. That's the crux of the matter.

Nobody_Important

The level of threat is not proportionate to the response. Not by a longshot. That's the crux of the matter.
But it still doesn't change the fact that some of what you said is not authoritarianism like you claimed. Family, friends, and coworkers pressuring you to do the right thing is not authoritarianism. That is basic care and common sense. That is people who care about you trying to help you. Especially in a situation like this where it is so black and white.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Local regional stats currently watching like a competition to see the differences with similar population and different approaches.

cases - hosp - icu - deaths
BC: 655 - 187 - 103 - 2
AB: 920 - 431 - 106 - 4

Restrictions and higher vaccination rates keeping trend of lower cases in BC. Government modelling released today says case numbers won't drop and to expect plateau as restrictions take effect through month.

No new restrictions in Alberta. No public health communication. 431 in hospital in AB today. Thought of many of those being in icu tomorrow or next few days worrying. A similar percentage with BC would show widening in numbers. Timing and treatments. Personnel and product. Delivery. All could mitigate, make a difference.

Without change in AB expecting the exponential.
^yesterday

today
cases - hosp - icu - deaths
BC: 785 - 199 - 112 - 2
AB: 1315 - 465 - 107 - 8

No changes to report. BC modeling from yesterday suggested that cases in the province will peak around 1200 in September. AB passed that today.

Thaedolus

Only if you are brainwashed into thinking the collapse of the healthcare system and hundreds of thousands dead with hundreds of thousands more on their way to being dead, on top of continuing economic tolls and potential lifelong complications for millions of others, not much of a threat.

Yup, but they seem to become more contagious.. so one could say more deadly , as the change a person that would die from Covid if they catch it is higher ..
Yeah, also there’s the viral load factor. I didn’t want to dip too much into it but there are a lot of variables at play.

Nobody_Important

Only if you are brainwashed into thinking the collapse of the healthcare system and hundreds of thousands dead with hundreds of thousands more on their way to being dead, on top of continuing economic tolls and potential lifelong complications for millions of others, not much of a threat.
Yeah but like my uncle's friend's brother's wife's cousin's palm-reader on facebook says that it ain't no big deal man. So I'm not too worried. Plus this poison flavored paste I got from tractor supply is fire.

Last edited:

Loki

Count of Concision

I didn't say it wasn't a threat. I said it's not proportionate to the response, which it isn't. If we're willing to abrogate all sorts of rights and freedoms and fundamentally change the nature of our society in order to combat a virus with this level of lethality, what would we do for a virus that was killing, say, 8-12% of all people it infected across all cohorts? The mind shudders.

But it still doesn't change the fact that some of what you said is not authoritarianism like you claimed. Family, friends, and coworkers pressuring you to do the right thing is not authoritarianism. That is basic care and common sense. That is people who care about you trying to help you. Especially in a situation like this where it is so black and white.

I agree with you there. The specific parts which were authoritarian and chilling were the parts where he said that the unvaxxed "need to run out of options" and his implicit cheerleading of employers and businesses "forcing" people to get vaccinated. Not the parts about familial pressure etc. Hell, my own parents are constantly pressuring me to get vaxxed.

Last edited:
Oh please. Don't be like that.

That would be a safe bet. He's healthy and rich.

The only thing going against him (other than fucking up his alternative treatments) is his oldness, but he's not that old.

Turns out he's been fine and that was part of his instragram video announcing he got covid but not surprisingly people wanted to leave that part.

Dr_Salt

Banned
Nobody is wishing death on anyone here get out with that. I think Rogan is exploited for his ignorance and I have adamantly disliked him for years and even I wish him the best during this. Nobody deserves to die in the way that Covid takes you. No matter their beliefs or ignorant opinions.
There is already a crazy here saying that if you are spreading disinfo then you deserve "the worst" lol. I wouldn't he surprised if there are more like him.
Hope Rogan makes it out.

But hes an idiot for propagating the nonsense. Maybe this will be a lesson, hopefully one he can live to tell.
He already posted a video saying he is fine and feels great 3 days after testing positive. It looked like he was even exercising or going for a walk at least.

Loki

Count of Concision
I also take issue with this constant underlying assumption that anyone who hasn't been vaxxed is some sort of Facebook-loving, doltish, ultra-religious and/or super-conservative caricature. I'm none of those things, and honestly the only news I read on FB is all PRO-Vaccine, PRO-mandate stuff in their "news" section. If things were that black and white, and everyone who hadn't been vaxxed was just "stupid" (as I have been called in this thread), then those with Ph.D's wouldn't be the most vaccine hesitant group from among the different levels of educational attainment.

The fervency and uniformity of opinion among certain folks re: vaccines is just another example of the polarization and group-think we've seen in many other sociopolitical areas the last 4-5 years.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

I didn't say it wasn't a threat.
I didn't say you did, I said only if you've been brainwashed to think it's not much of one. As in: you have to be totally downplaying its threat to all of the things I listed if you're going to insist the balance between threat and response is off here.

I said it's not proportionate to the response, which it isn't. If we're willing to abrogate all sorts of rights and freedoms and fundamentally change the nature of our society in order to combat a virus with this level of lethality,
Nobody's advocating (or at least, I'm not) abrogating all sorts of rights. I'm only in favor of leveraging what restrictions are sensible and legal, e.g. vaccines to fly, private companies requiring vaccines, school vaccinations, etc. Most, if not all, of these have legal precedent. Vaccine requirements aren't new. Authoritarianism isn't "whatever is required by the government that we decide we don't want to do."
what would we do for a virus that was killing, say, 8-12% of all people it infected across all cohorts? The mind shudders.
Lord knows, because a disease with the transmissibility of COVID killing 8-12% of all infected would be the end of the world as we know it. You would be begging for lockdowns and shooting people for approaching without a mask. But we're not dealing with this doomsday hypothetical, so I'm not sure why you're going there.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I also take issue with this constant underlying assumption that anyone who hasn't been vaxxed is some sort of Facebook-loving, doltish, ultra-religious and/or super-conservative caricature. I'm none of those things, and honestly the only news I read on FB is all PRO-Vaccine, PRO-mandate stuff in their "news" section. If things were that black and white, and everyone who hadn't been vaxxed was just "stupid" (as I have been called in this thread), then those with Ph.D's wouldn't be the most vaccine hesitant group from among the different levels of educational attainment.

The fervency and uniformity of opinion among certain folks re: vaccines is just another example of the polarization and group-think we've seen in many other sociopolitical areas the last 4-5 years.
Do you also take issue with the constant underlying assumption that anyone who is encouraging vaccinations is some sort of authoritarian? None of the people in this thread are any of those things.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
.... and everyone who hadn't been vaxxed was just "stupid" (as I have been called in this thread), then those with Ph.D's wouldn't be the most vaccine hesitant group from among the different levels of educational attainment.
And those with Ph.Ds aren't the most vaccine hesitant group.
Turns out that people lie on Facebook questionaires.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If things were that black and white, and everyone who hadn't been vaxxed was just "stupid" (as I have been called in this thread), then those with Ph.D's wouldn't be the most vaccine hesitant group from among the different levels of educational attainment.
About that:

They found 23.9 percent of the people who said they hold Ph.D. degrees expressed hesitancy, the highest rate among the various levels of education.

But some of their work appears to be misrepresented online, missing the overall point that hesitancy dropped.

“There are people that can kind of take a data point and twist it around to mean something that it doesn’t mean, and that’s unfortunate,” King said.

A sensitivity analysis found some people answered in the extreme ends of some demographic categories to throw off some of the numbers. King said it appeared to be a “concerted effort” that “did make the hesitancy prevalence in the Ph.D. group look higher than it really is.”

For example, they observed higher hesitancy rates than expected in the oldest age group — 75 and over — as well as the top end in terms of education level.

“We found that people basically used it to write in political … statements,” King said. “So they weren’t genuine responses. They didn’t really complete the survey in good faith.”

People taking the survey were on the honor system, with no way to make sure people who claimed to have Ph.D. degrees actually have them.

And the Ph.D. group does not include medical doctors or nurses.

“So it’s not representative of the medical profession,” King said.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!

The majority of people from all sociopolitical backgrounds and demographic groups accept vaccines, because they're merely vaccines, and not sensational or mysterious. Just vaccines.

Meanwhile take a look at the body of people who reject vaccines, particularly these new vaccines, and witness groupthink as if it lept off the page of the dictionary and attacked you. The sharing of the same exact misinformation. The same memes. The same phrases and idioms. Oh there's groupthink alright, and we all know the source.

Sorry you feel you're being lumped in with them, but I mean, you could just stop being like them if you chose.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
LMFAO are you serious? The source of that was a facebook questionnaire ?
Yup.

The researchers partnered with the Delphi Group at CMU, which runs an ongoing national COVID-19 survey in collaboration with the Facebook Data for Good group.

This research was supported by Facebook and a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention research grant.

This analysis used the COVID Trends and Impact Survey (CTIS)9, created by the Delphi Group at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) and conducted in collaboration with Facebook Data for Good. Survey sampling is described in the eMethods. Survey weights accounting for the sampling design and non-response are post-stratified to match the US general population by age, gender, and state10. The study design ensures CMU researchers do not see usernames or profile information and Facebook does not see survey microdata.

Facebook is partnering with academic institutions to support COVID-19 research. Currently, we are inviting Facebook app users in the United States to take a survey collected by faculty at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) Delphi Research Center, and we are inviting Facebook app users in more than 200 countries or territories globally to take a survey collected by faculty at the University of Maryland (UMD) Joint Program in Survey Methodology (JPSM). As part of this initiative, we are applying best practices from survey statistics to design and execute two components: (1) sampling design and (2) survey weights, which make the sample more representative of the general population. This paper describes the methods we used in these efforts in order to allow data users to execute their analyses using the weights.

Top Bottom