• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Depending on your ego, a few million people you never met dying is small fry compared to BEING FORCED to follow rules set BY THE GOVERNMENT or take a vaccine made by BIG PHARMA

Yes, because we know what that kind of precedent can lead to in the future.

Also, I don't think it has anything to do with ego.

the people downplaying the seriousness of COVID are incessantly complaining about their country's handling of the virus.

Is that true?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Worldly data shows how the Delta variant can be a problem

What does "a problem" mean to you?

In the only country in which we know that the Delta variant is 99% of the cases, the case fatality rate is absolutely miniscule. It's gotten to the point that the focus of the fears has shifted to "long COVID."

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
That's an amazing thing to say considering that the people downplaying the seriousness of COVID are incessantly complaining about their country's handling of the virus.

Either the pandemic response helped or it didn't.
That's a reductive way to view it. We will be learning about and dealing with the massive disruptions caused by and unintended consequences of the lockdowns for decades. The truth is if we knew the actual IFR in March 2020, we wouldn't have locked down in that fashion. Now some people can't let it go.

Raven117

How can I misinterpret DATA when it is based in facts?
The data being that the overall hospitalization and death rate is quite small, especially for anyone under 60 and no pre-existing condition. Yes, there are many anecdotal events out there. Sadly, you have experienced them. But that doesn't change the fact that this virus does not kill alot of people from a percentage standpoint.
That's an amazing thing to say considering that the people downplaying the seriousness of COVID are incessantly complaining about their country's handling of the virus.

Either the pandemic response helped or it didn't.
Was just acknowledging that Brazil did a particularly bad job by not taking a few precautions and that anger can be misdirected to the data itself.

Last edited:

Raven117

Depending on your ego, a few million people you never met dying is small fry compared to BEING FORCED to follow rules set BY THE GOVERNMENT or take a vaccine made by BIG PHARMA
The governments didn't have much of an answer for this....Its not like "if we just listened to what they said, no one would get sick and die." Thats a silly way to look at it.

Vaccine? That's actually different. While I do believe everyone should have a choice to take it, I believe it should be taken. That from a science standpoint clearly cuts down on transmission and severity.

Yes, because we know what that kind of precedent can lead to in the future.

Also, I don't think it has anything to do with ego.
Ah, the hypothetical horrors of the future which will inevitably come from having to wear a mask. And the cool thing is you can invent any number of deaths for it, enough to dwarf the most severe real world pandemic.

Raven117

Yes, and government and all the agencies responsible for medicine safety would get outsmarted by a pharmaceutical company because…????
I mean… that happens a lot. That part isn’t a conspiracy. Take the OxyContin scandal of last decade, where the FDA and DEA basically allowed Purdue to get 10-20% of the country hooked on opioids right out in the open. Or the numerous lawsuits for drugs that turned out not to be effective or had side effects the pharmaceutical companies hid from regulators. Big pharma is really good at fooling government entities to get what it wants. Especially in a crisis.

However, I don’t prescribe to the notion that vaccines are being purposefully limited to create a continuous cash stream. I wouldn’t say it is impossible. I just haven’t seen any evidence of it. But don’t fool yourself about Big Pharma. They will absolutely do anything to make money.

What does "a problem" mean to you?

In the only country in which we know that the Delta variant is 99% of the cases, the case fatality rate is absolutely miniscule. It's gotten to the point that the focus of the fears has shifted to "long COVID."
You really have no idea how viruses work, do you? :pie_roffles:

Being a negationist isn't something to be proud of, people. Stop trying to think you know "the truth" because you read it somewhere in the internet. Seriously. You're grown ups, act like it.

Viruses mutate, masks are important, vaccines save lives. It's honestly outlandish and even infantile to believe otherwise. You aren't in the 1500's, people.

How can the EARTH be ROUND if all I see when I look at the horizon is a straight line???

And here you’ve made a good case for how data that’s factual could be misinterpreted, also your dismissive attitude and insistence on labeling people as “negationists” (that’s a new one on me) is pretty hostile and not conducive to conversation.

Enhance your calm dude, insulting people by trying to associate legitimate concerns with flat earth conspiracies isn’t really “winning” you just look like you’re throwing a tantrum and it’s not cute.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, the hypothetical horrors of the future which will inevitably come from having to wear a mask. And the cool thing is you can invent any number of deaths for it, enough to dwarf the most severe real world pandemic.

Not a serious person. OK.

You really have no idea how viruses work, do you? :pie_roffles:

Being a negationist isn't something to be proud of, people. Stop trying to think you know "the truth" because you read it somewhere in the internet. Seriously. You're grown ups, act like it.

Viruses mutate, masks are important, vaccines save lives. It's honestly outlandish and even infantile to believe otherwise. You aren't in the 1500's, people.

What are you talking about? You just went on a character assassination tirade with zero substance. Take your own advice about "growing up" and address a point or argument instead of resorting to childish attacks.

Also, please don't bring up the efficacy of masks, because that discussion is prohibited and got the last thread locked.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe for a conspiracy theorist it looks like a viable choice.

Yeah, sure. Looking at sets of data and inferring the possible takeaways sure is conspiracy theory territory. A real trashfire of freethinkers over here! We should all just log off and plug in to CNN.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Why in god's name would such a discussion be prohibited?

Here's the old COVID thread for your reference (the thread title was changed in its final days).

Here's the old COVID thread for your reference (the thread title was changed in its final days).

You can't be serious. :lol

Well: here's my take. Masks are effective. If you can use a N95, even better, much better. And that's not politics, that's simply a fact!

If someone reading this for some reason doubts on mask efficacies (or, even worse, vaccines), I... don't know what do say to you. I'm sorry, I guess. I just hope you get out of whatever hellhole of misinformation you've been to.

You can't be serious. :lol

Well: here's my take. Masks are effective. If you can use a N95, even better, much better. And that's not politics, that's simply a fact!

If someone reading this for some reason doubts on mask efficacies (or, even worse, vaccines), I... don't know what do say to you. I'm sorry, I guess. I just hope you get out of whatever hellhole of misinformation you've been to.

How brave of you to take a stand on masks when it’s literally just been explained there’s no discussion allowed.

Seems pretty clear your only motive is to feel superior to the wrong thinkers, do you think someone is gonna read your post and then suddenly realize they would be better off to let you do all their thinking for them?

How brave of you to take a stand on masks when it’s literally just been explained there’s no discussion allowed.

Seems pretty clear your only motive is to feel superior to the wrong thinkers, do you think someone is gonna read your post and then suddenly realize they would be better off to let you do all their thinking for them?
Did you really not notice I'm just here to laugh at you? :LOL:

Pol Pot

Banned
Dude lost people. Let's not let that take away from the wholly politic discussion we're having.

You see, we're imbued with logic, like the Greeks of old, and the only way we're to engage a thing is through hard data.

But also!

We must interpret said data.

Which means, the immediate human cost is immaterial.

Monsters. That's how you get monsters.

sinnergy

It will mutate because of circulation and vaccination into a version that doesn’t give a shit if you are vaccinated … so don’t circulate..

Dude lost people. Let's not let that take away from the wholly politic discussion we're having.

You see, we're imbued with logic, like the Greeks of old, and the only way we're to engage a thing is through hard data.

But also!

We must interpret said data.

Which means, the immediate human cost is immaterial.

Monsters. That's how you get monsters.
Dude is a troll. Anyone who "lost people" and still acts like this:

Did you really not notice I'm just here to laugh at you? :LOL:
Is either full of shit or a disingenuous asshole. Either way, he's clearly baiting people with his bullshit. I don't even care about the mask discussion anymore, as I have not worn one in months. But the idea that anyone would be like "dude lost people" as some kind of defense for a guy who is admitted he's just a troll is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Yes, both in reducing the transmission and from developing severe health complications if you catch it. Pfizer the same.
AZ seems to be the one with lower efficacy - 60 vs. 80-90% for mARM.
Thank you for the info. i was vaccinated back in February with moderna. Im curious if ill need a booster any time soon.

sinnergy

We are back at December last year numbers 🤣😂 after our government let everything go, in just 2 weeks time .. 8 months of measures is thrown out of the window! Nice that Delta variation.. The Netherlands 🇳🇱 Good thing I had my first shot Pfizer .. it helps a bit against the idiots around me !

I hope the rest of the world has a good look and do exact oppositie.. with loosening restrictions.

Last edited:

Kilau

Very vague.

What are the ages of these people? What are their health status? Were they in the vunerable bracket? All we are given is "Unvaccinated". Lots of vital information is just left out.
I'm not sure how that information would change the bottom line. They could all have been vulnerable aside from being unvaccinated. The common factor is vaccination and those that were vaccinated making up less than 1% of all covid deaths seems to be pretty clear.

Birdo

Banned
I'm not sure how that information would change the bottom line.

It would help to see if the new variants are more deadly or not. If the unvaxinated people dying are still the same demographics as before (Over 80s, Comorbid Conditions), then it would ease a few minds.

Instead, we just get a vague, sensational statement with no breakdown.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

That is an absolutely insane discrepancy to England, which as I shared above, has seen only 36% of the Delta variant deaths in the unvaccinated. Only around 250 deaths total going back to February 1st, so a small sample size, but 64% of those deaths had at least one shot and 36% were fully vaccinated.

Assuming this statement is true, I really do wonder what could be the cause. Is it really just that the Delta variant (now 99% of cases in England) is that much weaker than previous variants that are still circulating the US?

edit: watching the press conference from which this quote came a bit, but does anyone know how the vaccine "effectiveness" shown on those slides is being measured? Fauci is claiming that data from England shows 92% effectiveness against hospitalization from the Delta variant for Oxford-AstraZeneca, but does anyone know what that actually means? Just that 92% of people who are fully vaccinated have not yet been hospitalized? I'm guessing that's not right, but what is it?

Kilau

It would help to see if the new variants are more deadly or not. If the unvaxinated people dying are still the same demographics as before (Over 80s, Comorbid Conditions), then it would ease a few minds.

Instead, we just get a vague, sensational statement with no breakdown.
I guess the more important number is the CFR for delta variant.

FireFly

That is an absolutely insane discrepancy to England, which as I shared above, has seen only 36% of the Delta variant deaths in the unvaccinated. Only around 250 deaths total going back to February 1st, so a small sample size, but 64% of those deaths had at least one shot and 36% were fully vaccinated.

Assuming this statement is true, I really do wonder what could be the cause. Is it really just that the Delta variant (now 99% of cases in England) is that much weaker than previous variants that are still circulating the US?

edit: watching the press conference from which this quote came a bit, but does anyone know how the vaccine "effectiveness" shown on those slides is being measured? Fauci is claiming that data from England shows 92% effectiveness against hospitalization from the Delta variant for Oxford-AstraZeneca, but does anyone know what that actually means? Just that 92% of people who are fully vaccinated have not yet been hospitalized? I'm guessing that's not right, but what is it?
Your risk of dying from COVID doubles every ~8 years of age, so the discrepancy could simply be down to the unvaccinated victims in the US having a much higher average age (say, if the Delta variant is rapidly spreading in communities with low vaccine penetration). From the UK study cited there, it looks like they are adding the reduction in your chance of being hospitalised given you are infected, to the reduction in your chance of being infected in the first place (https://khub.net/web/phe-national/public-library/-/document_library/v2WsRK3ZlEig/view/479607266). So an effectiveness of 92% would mean that you would expect 100 hospitalisations in an unvaccinated population, but only 8 in a vaccinated one, adjusted for age.

Again, it's important to remember that the vast majority of people in the UK population who would have been vulnerable to the virus have now been double vaccinated. So there simply isn't a large pool of unvaccinated individuals to feed into the figures. Think about the limit case where everyone has been fully vaccinated, and the virus is still spreading. Then all of the victims would be vaccinated.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Your risk of dying from COVID doubles every ~8 years of age, so the discrepancy could simply be down to the unvaccinated victims in the US having a much higher average age (say, if the Delta variant is rapidly spreading in communities with low vaccine penetration). From the UK study cited there, it looks like they are adding the reduction in your chance of being hospitalised given you are infected, to the reduction in your chance of being infected in the first place (https://khub.net/web/phe-national/public-library/-/document_library/v2WsRK3ZlEig/view/479607266). So an effectiveness of 92% would mean that you would expect 100 hospitalisations in an unvaccinated population, but only 8 in a vaccinated one, adjusted for age.

Again, it's important to remember that the vast majority of people in the UK population who would have been vulnerable to the virus have now been double vaccinated. So there simply isn't a large pool of unvaccinated individuals to feed into the figures. Think about the limit case where everyone has been fully vaccinated, and the virus is still spreading. Then all of the victims would be vaccinated.

Well, the data we have from England currently shows that of the hospitalizations (inpatient admissions) from the Delta variant, the completely unvaccinated represent about 62% of the total and vaccinated 36% (with the 2-dose group representing just 16%), so while 92% effectiveness seems a bit high, I think there's no doubt that 2 doses does provide significant protection.

FireFly

Well, the data we have from England currently shows that of the hospitalizations (inpatient admissions) from the Delta variant, the completely unvaccinated represent about 62% of the total and vaccinated 36% (with the 2-dose group representing just 16%), so while 92% effectiveness seems a bit high, I think there's no doubt that 2 doses does provide significant protection.
The 92% assumes the population characteristics are the same between the vaccinated and unvaccinated groups. But the average age of unvaccinated individuals in the UK looks to be a lot lower than the average age of vaccinated individuals. If the risk doubles every 8 years, then you just need a ~8 year difference in average age to explain that discrepancy. (And this ignores the fact that the vaccinated group is bigger than the unvaccinated one)

Last edited:
honestly not a fan of the CDC head ever since the impending doom comments;
uncalled for at a time when they should be trying to regain people's trust IMO
I agree completely. The idea that the head of the CDC would go on TV and talk about her "feelings of impending doom" at a time when the country was finally emerging from the worst of the pandemic is disgusting. Stick the the science and keep your feelings where they belong, with your therapist.

Top Bottom