• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

LocalE

That buzzword fad phrasing isn't my new anything, sorry.
I'm all for the suggestion of a better turn of phrase, but all of evolution, and human 'progress', has been a succession of 'new normals'. If you have more preferred words for it go for it but it amounts to the same thing, doesn't it?

Ma-Yuan

Viral thread by Zuby:

20 Things I've Learned (Or Had Confirmed) About Humanity During The 'Pandemic' (THREAD):

1/ Most people would rather be in the majority, than be right.
2/ At least 20% of the population has strong authoritarian tendencies, which will emerge under the right conditions.
3/ Fear of death is only rivalled by the fear of social disapproval. The latter could be stronger.
4/ Propaganda is just as effective in the modern day as it was 100 years ago. Access to limitless information has not made the average person any wiser.
5/ Anything and everything can and will be politicised by the media, government, and those who trust them.
6/ Many politicians and large corporations will gladly sacrifice human lives if it is conducive to their political and financial aspirations.
7/ Most people believe the government acts in the best interests of the people. Even many who are vocal critics of the government.
8/ Once they have made up their mind, most people would rather to commit to being wrong, than admit they were wrong.
9/ Humans can be trained and conditioned quickly and relatively easily to significantly alter their behaviours - for better or worse.
10/ When sufficiently frightened, most people will not only accept authoritarianism, but demand it.
11/ People who are dismissed as 'conspiracy theorists' are often well researched and simply ahead of the mainstream narrative.
12/ Most people value safety and security more than freedom and liberty, even if said 'safety' is merely an illusion.
13/ Hedonic adaptation occurs in both directions, and once inertia sets in, it is difficult to get people back to 'normal'.
14/ A significant % of people thoroughly enjoy being subjugated.
15/ 'The Science' has evolved into a secular pseudo-religion for millions of people in the West. This religion has little to do with science itself.
16/ Most people care more about looking like they are doing the right thing, rather than actually doing the right thing.
17/ Politics, the media, science, and the healthcare industries are all corrupt, to varying degrees. Scientists and doctors can be bought as easily as politicians.
18/ If you make people comfortable enough, they will not revolt. You can keep millions docile as you strip their rights, by giving them money, food, and entertainment.
19/ Modern people are overly complacent and lack vigilance when it comes to defending their own freedoms from government overreach.
20/ It's easier to fool a person than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Bonus thought:

21/ Most people are fairly compassionate and have good intentions (this is good)

As a result, most people deeply struggle to understand that some people, including our 'leaders', CAN have malicious or perverse intentions (this is bad).

I would say this 100% true!

dave_d

Is the Delta variant going through Indonesia at the moment? I admit I check the deaths on wikipedia every day or so and I'm seeing a ton of people in Indonesia dying of Covid in the past few days. Are they having a spike?

11/ People who are dismissed as 'conspiracy theorists' are often well researched and simply ahead of the mainstream narrative.

That's not suprising, you just claim 100 different, often contradictory, things that will happen on your Twitter and once one of them turns out to happen you delete the other 99.Checkmate 'scientists' !

Most of the conspiracy theorists predicted covid to be over in summer 2020 and a big hoax.

FireFly

But it will be. D-9 is allready beating the vaccines, next major mutation will be a restart.

I don't think that the penny has dropped yet in the majority of people, unfortunately.

This is the new flu.
Two doses of Pfizer are only marginally less effective at reducing symptomatic disease with the Delta variant. If future mutations increase transmissibility further, they will raise the herd immunity threshold, without changing the basic government calculus that it is better to keep things open if you don't have significant hospitalisations and deaths. So yes, in that sense it would be like the flu, but nothing to panic about.

Last edited:

Liljagare

Two doses of Pfizer are only marginally less effective at reducing symptomatic disease with the Delta variant. If future mutations increase transmissibility further, they will raise the herd immunity threshold, without changing the basic government calculus that it is better to keep things open if you don't have significant hospitalisations and deaths. So yes, in that sense it would be like the flu, but nothing to panic about.

Seems to be at around 60% effective, if we look at Pfizers.

I honestly don't envy leaders.

If they add restrictions, they are "Facist", and if they ease restrictions, they are causing "Genocide" 🤷‍♂️
There is just a portion of society that is anxious for restrictions and apocalypse. The religious right has the people always waiting for the Rapture and Revelation. This is like the secular version of those people. It plays on the same people that think climate change is going to make the world uninhabitable.

sinnergy

Well, half that article is spent questioning the validity of that figure. But in any case, what really counts is the 93% effectiveness "in preventing hospitalizations and severe symptoms".
Now we wait for the delta plus results… after that mega plus turbo … rendering vaccines at 720p. 🤡

QSD

Now we wait for the delta plus results… after that mega plus turbo … rendering vaccines at 720p. 🤡
Coming Soon! Hyper Pandemic Fighter Turbo Gaiden Black Label. Now you can also play as the virus! Shed your spike proteins and sneak out of the wuhan lab to cause chaos on a global scale!

It's either that or "Streets of Lockdown", a sidescrolling game where you wander endless deserted streets aimlessly looking for someone to beat up.

Coming Soon! Hyper Pandemic Fighter Turbo Gaiden Black Label. Now you can also play as the virus! Shed your spike proteins and sneak out of the wuhan lab to cause chaos on a global scale!

It's either that or "Streets of Lockdown", a sidescrolling game where you wander endless deserted streets aimlessly looking for someone to beat up.
My uncle works at Wuhan, and he told me the next one is gonna be way better 🥴

Peter303

Well, the exact quote was "door-to-door outreach", but that's not as sensational as letting people fill in the blanks with their fears of door-to-door forced vaccinations.
They know they can't force people to take experimental vaccines as that would break international human rights laws. All they can do is bribe and gently persuade you to give consent.

sinnergy

🤣😂

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Viral thread by Zuby:

20 Things I've Learned (Or Had Confirmed) About Humanity During The 'Pandemic' (THREAD):

1/ Most people would rather be in the majority, than be right.
2/ At least 20% of the population has strong authoritarian tendencies, which will emerge under the right conditions.
3/ Fear of death is only rivalled by the fear of social disapproval. The latter could be stronger.
4/ Propaganda is just as effective in the modern day as it was 100 years ago. Access to limitless information has not made the average person any wiser.
5/ Anything and everything can and will be politicised by the media, government, and those who trust them.
6/ Many politicians and large corporations will gladly sacrifice human lives if it is conducive to their political and financial aspirations.
7/ Most people believe the government acts in the best interests of the people. Even many who are vocal critics of the government.
8/ Once they have made up their mind, most people would rather to commit to being wrong, than admit they were wrong.
9/ Humans can be trained and conditioned quickly and relatively easily to significantly alter their behaviours - for better or worse.
10/ When sufficiently frightened, most people will not only accept authoritarianism, but demand it.
12/ Most people value safety and security more than freedom and liberty, even if said 'safety' is merely an illusion.
13/ Hedonic adaptation occurs in both directions, and once inertia sets in, it is difficult to get people back to 'normal'.
14/ A significant % of people thoroughly enjoy being subjugated.
15/ 'The Science' has evolved into a secular pseudo-religion for millions of people in the West. This religion has little to do with science itself.
16/ Most people care more about looking like they are doing the right thing, rather than actually doing the right thing.
17/ Politics, the media, science, and the healthcare industries are all corrupt, to varying degrees. Scientists and doctors can be bought as easily as politicians.
18/ If you make people comfortable enough, they will not revolt. You can keep millions docile as you strip their rights, by giving them money, food, and entertainment.
19/ Modern people are overly complacent and lack vigilance when it comes to defending their own freedoms from government overreach.
20/ It's easier to fool a person than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Bonus thought:

21/ Most people are fairly compassionate and have good intentions (this is good)

As a result, most people deeply struggle to understand that some people, including our 'leaders', CAN have malicious or perverse intentions (this is bad).

What I learned from this list:
1/ Nothing makes people think they are a super smart, free thinking god amongst men than agreeing with a minority opinion.

QSD

1/ Nothing makes people think they are a super smart, free thinking god amongst men than agreeing with a minority opinion.
Yeah although I agree with some points, the whole list smacks a bit of "look at me, the intrepid thruth-speaker, the brave contrarian, the world's specialest snowflake"

FireFly

Yeah although I agree with some points, the whole list smacks a bit of "look at me, the intrepid thruth-speaker, the brave contrarian, the world's specialest snowflake"
That's the hilarious thing about conspiracy theories. The government is guilty of an elaborate and well orchestrated deception involving thousands of people, so we should be super skeptical about anything they say. But the guy who just says "the government is lying" just gets a free pass to claim whatever he wants.

QSD

That's the hilarious thing about conspiracy theories. The government is guilty of an elaborate and well orchestrated deception involving thousands of people, so we should be super skeptical about anything they say. But the guy who just says "the government is lying" just gets a free pass to claim whatever he wants.
Well I don't know, I'm on the fence on that question. I don't think the term 'conspiracy theory' is very helpful in the way it's currently used to dismiss people. It is not unheard of for people in government to conspire against or lie to citizens after all. The bigger problem is the kind of martyr/messiah complex that the 'opposition' seems to develop very readily, which often dilutes or eclipses the issues that they are trying to raise.

pel1300

Those aren't minority opinions. The thread wouldn't have gone viral if they were.

In the real world, many ppl agree with almost all of that but don't speak up. That's a problem.

It's like how many are afraid of publicly condemning violent riots from one side.

Blond

Banned
Is there a name for that Twitter “tone?”

You know what I mean. Read the Twitter post in the past two pages, it’s all similar but I don’t know what to call it...

pel1300

Apply this logic to people who publicly protest the murduring ofppl in the ME for resources. Who also get a free pass.

If you happen to be against unnecessary foreign wars....you are literally who Zuby is describing

Last edited:

vpance

mad gran torino GIF

QSD

Those aren't minority opinions. The thread wouldn't have gone viral if they were.

In the real world, many ppl agree with almost all of that but don't speak up. That's a problem.

It's like how many are afraid of publicly condemning violent riots from one side.
I don't know man, a lot of points from that Zuby tweet seem rather mundane to me? (maybe that's not the right word) Like if you study history or social psychology to some degree a lot of that stuff is hardly shocking. Humans are evolved to be social/ interdependent, and so reputation and standing in a peer group is extremely important to people, so much so that people are sometimes literally willing to die for it... Big news. Corporations only care about profit... colour me surprised. etc etc...

The way he presents his 'big lessons' and the points he raises smack a lot of (barely) veiled self-aggrandizement to me. A kind of virtue signaling if you will.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I don't know man, a lot of points from that Zuby tweet seem rather mundane to me? (maybe that's not the right word) Like if you study history or social psychology to some degree a lot of that stuff is hardly shocking. Humans are evolved to be social/ interdependent, and so reputation and standing in a peer group is extremely important to people, so much so that people are sometimes literally willing to die for it... Big news. Corporations only care about profit... colour me surprised. etc etc...

The way he presents his 'big lessons' and the points he raises smack a lot of (barely) veiled self-aggrandizement to me. A kind of virtue signaling if you will.
Yeah the problem isn't thinking people are easily lead, easily influenced. The problem is when you think you aren't. And especially when you think of yourself as special because of it.
Pretty sure a full of it vegan could write an almost identical list about people who eat meat.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
"Cases, cases, cases, cases, cases"

The UK is fine to open up now. The old and vunerable are being kept out of hospitals by the Jab, and the rest aren't enough to overwhelm the NHS. It's time to live with it 👍

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Masks of Fauci sound like a horror film. Zuby has good points. Nothing groundbreaking though. Jen Psaki continues to be a nutter. I'm glad things are getting back to normal in my neck of the woods anyway.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
my fav is the conspiracy theorists are well researched and ahead of the curve.

I guarantee you he learned none of those things from the pandemic. he's always held those views and they will never change (low IQ). everything for him is CONFIRMATION BIAS

meanwhile

anybody that took an intro course to social psych can ridicule that list full of misconceptions made up by a "free thinker" (uneducated) that can only connect his ideas by postulating the existence of God, presumably. I don't know anything about zuby so I could be wrong, but it's always the same shit innit :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
my fav is the conspiracy theorists are well researched and ahead of the curve.

I guarantee you he learned none of those things from the pandemic. he's always held those views and they will never change (low IQ). everything for him is CONFIRMATION BIAS

meanwhile

anybody that took an intro course to social psych can ridicule that list full of misconceptions made up by a "free thinker" (uneducated) that can only connect his ideas by postulating the existence of God, presumably. I don't know anything about zuby so I could be wrong, but it's always the same shit innit :messenger_smirking:
He's a graduate of Oxford University.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
so in other words he is a grifter. I mean, how else would he get off thinking there is anything insightful in that list? it all points to bigger and more complicated ideas about human nature. just look at #1. we've known for like a hundred years in social psychology that people will say the answer that they KNOW is wrong just to fit in with the rest of the group. Tribalism. wow zuby thank you

Top Bottom