• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

Liljagare

Have y'all had covid? For me and the vast majority of people, from what I understand, the experience is like a bad flu. That's my experience, if you want to ignore me for that then your loss sweetheart.

This is getting close to "Bruh, it's just the flu!" conspiracy theories.

We now know that inflammation of pretty much every organ in the body is possible, and likely, with a Covid-19 infection.

Just like with the total understanding of all the vaccines, we still do not know the long term effects of a Covid-19 infection, we actually know less regarding a Covid-19 infection than we know of how the vaccines will cause side-effects, since the vaccines are all based on a few years of earlier research. Covid-19 is newer than the bases for our vaccines.

Some fun reports are reporting prion like damage to the brain, bet ya that sounds like the flu? Oh, wait, that explains alot of stuff being posted regarding this pandemic.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

We now know that inflammation of pretty much every organ in the body is possible, and likely, with a Covid-19 infection.

Just like with the total understanding of all the vaccines, we still do not know the long term effects of a Covid-19 infection, we actually know less regarding a Covid-19 infection than we know of how the vaccines will cause side-effects, since the vaccines are all based on a few years of earlier research. Covid-19 is newer than the bases for our vaccines.

Some fun reports are reporting prion like damage to the brain, bet ya that sounds like the flu? Oh, wait, that explains alot of stuff being posted regarding this pandemic.

If you’re going to use this logic, then you need to also recognize that there are a lot of similarities to Covid-19 and the original SARS, including overlapping immunity.

Raven117

Yeah I was going to post it but it I felt it was crossing the line and I didn't want to get the thread closed. What is happening with all the countries across the pond making it mandatory to do anything and then that really causes some concern.
Yeah, I mean, it should probably be discussed, but I suppose perhaps under better info. Needless to stay......Not a chance that would be Constitutional, but that's a conversation for another day.

OK, well we'll see I guess. I don't recommend anyone try to get covid, all I can speak to definitively is my own experience. I agree both covid and rushed vaccines should be avoided.

I don't agree with the official messaging which continuously hypes up the danger of covid and downplays the risks of The Vaccine (tm). I can smell when I'm being sold something.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
OK, well we'll see I guess. I don't recommend anyone try to get covid, all I can speak to definitively is my own experience. I agree both covid and rushed vaccines should be avoided.

I don't agree with the official messaging which continuously hypes up the danger of covid and downplays the risks of The Vaccine (tm). I can smell when I'm being sold something.
Jesus Christmas. Is the danger of covid over hyped by certain wings of the media?Sure. Absolutely. They're desperate for viewership. Are the dangers of the vaccine also overhyped? Most fucking definitely. Your're probably more likely to get struck by lightning then have a deadly side effect from a vaccine. This has been true since the inventions of vaccines.

By the way, even though they wiped Robert Malone from the Wikipedia I haven't seen him attacked directly. What could his motive for speaking about the possible dangers of the vaccine possibly be other than feeling responsible for the technology he's helped create and feeling compelled to blow the whistle on the dangers that are being hidden.

to omega supreme, look up what happened to the first recipients of the polio vaccine

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
If you’re going to use this logic, then you need to also recognize that there are a lot of similarities to Covid-19 and the original SARS, including overlapping immunity.

The only similarity is that they're both a form of SARS. That doesn't mean it's apt, or even logical, to compare the known effects of the COVID-19 disease, which are obviously very different and with wider affects, to what annual influenza strains do. He was pointing out how insincere and how bad faith such a comparison is.

Also there is no overlapping immunity. People who contracted the coronavirus that caused the first SARS have not been shown to have immunity against SARS-CoV-2. Why would they? They're completely different viruses, years apart.

vpance

The reality could be prions for all, now that it's known the spike protein replication from these vaccines propagate throughout the body, and can cross the blood brain barrier. Too scary of a future to think about.

Maybe we'll have to add shrooms to the list of unapproved remedies that end up fighting against the potential long term effects of this thing.

Loss of smell and lingering brain fog could be indicators you that got got. Migraines too.

Ok. If we’re just going base our opinions about vaccine safety on the fact hundreds of millions of people got them and have been fine, for the most part, let’s try to be consistent. Talking about “reports” of people having Mad Cow disease (prion disease) damage is no less anecdotal than some guy saying the vaccine killed some guy he knows. If people are getting debilitating brain damage from covid, it is rare enough that we haven’t been able to quantify it. Hundreds of millions of people have had covid. I’d think we’d have more than “reports” of people getting holes in their brain if it was something common enough to be concerned with.

As to the inflammation in different organs, this also occurs with the flu. The risk for things like myocarditis and strokes are increased after almost all viral infections, to varying degrees. People act like covid is from fucking outer space. It’s not… It’s from a lab in China.

Last edited:

thefool

Any source on this? I’m genuinely curious what could explain the claims being made about the US and the discrepancy between them and data from other parts of the world.

The main source is the discrepancy with the data from other countries. It's not possible for that number to be 99,7% considering the age groups alone.
Anecdotally, that's what happened with a member of my family (I'm not a burger). Died of a respiratory disease after a couple of months from the vaccine. She had several health issues for quite some time, got sick, couldn't breath properly, went to the hospital , died and the nurse told me (not a friend, a random person, etc....me) that because she was vaccinated she wasn't going to be considered a covid death.

If CDC reports that within the same medical profiles (age groups and health conditions), unvaccinated people are 99,7% of the deaths, I would still find it extremely hard to believe but at least it would make more sense.

Everyone needs to take into account we're about to see some numbers being taken out of everyone's ass. We are already deep in a territory that doesn't have enough control groups to assess anything about vaccines efficacy vs something else.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Online platforms used to schedule the vaccination report 1.3mln bookings for the first dose following the French government decision to require vaccination for way more activities.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Have y'all had covid? For me and the vast majority of people, from what I understand, the experience is like a bad flu. That's my experience, if you want to ignore me for that then your loss sweetheart.
What do you mean by a 'bad flu'? I had the flu about 5 years ago and was in bed for 5 days throwing up, writhing in agony, and having fever dreams. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. A majority of people with COVID did not have symptoms that severe.

The Spanish Flu killed lots of children. Thank God that is completely different from COVID.

Guileless

Is England still going along with the complete removal of restrictions on the 19th? Sorry. I haven't kept up. I've only got so much bandwidth for international affairs.

So far yes. But not without a fight and/or Q Anon level bitching that would never be allowed if it came from the other side of the political spectrum:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Portugal got worse, yet 67 vaccinations per 100 citizens were administered there. (most would be BioNTech)
We are in deep shit with that delta mod (can't find any other explanation)... :(
(only about 10% are vaccinated in Russia)

#Country,
Other
Cases in the last 7 daysCases in the preceding 7 daysWeekly Case % ChangeCases in the last 7 days/1M popDeaths in the last 7 daysDeaths in the preceding 7 daysWeekly Death % ChangeDeaths in the last 7 days/1M popPopulation
1Russia93,74066,001+42%6422,6812,628+2%18145,994,426
2Germany10,86117,866-39%129561677-17%784,040,499
3UK55,21641,890+32%80966660%1.068,227,346
4France22,15539,577-44%339375443-15%665,411,863
5Italy10,64314,594-27%176386484-20%660,376,594
6Spain24,19627,748-13%5172832830%646,772,132
7Ukraine7,99811,203-29%184437553-21%1043,481,632
8Poland1,7732,765-36%47325379-14%937,806,876
9Romania6891,152-40%3696130-26%519,114,526
10Netherlands8,08413,278-39%4711956-66%117,171,188
11Belgium4,9128,676-43%4224883-42%411,637,913
12Czechia1,1192,020-45%1041830-40%210,728,013
13Greece4,3216,878-37%417126201-37%1210,374,210
14Portugal5,8734,260+38%5781811+64%210,168,198
15Sweden1,9255,549-65%189120-95%0.110,159,527
16Hungary8241,398-41%8655115-52%69,636,830
17Belarus5,8955,863+0.5%6246768-1%79,446,344
18Austria1,3142,136-38%1452129-28%29,055,580
19Switzerland1,9213,126-39%2201725-32%28,715,172
20Serbia1,0551,263-16%1214257-26%58,703,613
21Bulgaria759980-23%11085125-32%126,898,236
22Denmark2,4575,140-52%42374+75%15,811,734
23Finland506750-33%9180+800%15,548,966
24Slovakia456703-35%832664-59%55,462,176
25Norway1,2131,537-21%22215-80%0.25,461,790
26Ireland2,3172,630-12%464000%04,990,499
27Croatia7621,232-38%1875961-3%144,080,972
28Moldova336316+6%831425-44%34,024,973
29Bosnia and Herzegovina218340-36%67141164-14%433,261,235
30Albania6164-5%2121+100%0.72,874,785
31Lithuania1,0631,804-41%3963039-23%112,685,782
32North Macedonia114124-8%55538-87%22,083,292
33Slovenia7931,489-47%3811712+42%82,079,212
34Latvia1,0151,522-33%5444742+12%251,866,166
35Estonia345506-32%26016-83%0.81,327,390
Portugal is still in the middle of their vaccination push. They need time (and second doses) to really get to herd immunity.

SF Kosmo

What do you mean by a 'bad flu'? I had the flu about 5 years ago and was in bed for 5 days throwing up, writhing in agony, and having fever dreams. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. A majority of people with COVID did not have symptoms that severe.
The hospitalization rate for flu is less than 0.1%. The hospitalization rate for Covid is like 5%.

What is comparing your case of flu to an average mild case of Covid supposed to mean to anyone? That's a completely silly thing to say.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

clown GIF by Team Coco

Guileless

The hospitalization rate for flu is less than 0.1%. The hospitalization rate for Covid is like 5%.

What is comparing your case of flu to an average mild case of Covid supposed to mean to anyone? That's a completely silly thing to say.
The COVID outcomes are so different between young/healthy and old/unhealthy that population-wide numbers aren't very useful. My point is that there are similarities and differences between flu and COVID, and acting like discussing similarities should get you sent to Gitmo is reductive.

SF Kosmo

The COVID outcomes are so different between young/healthy and old/unhealthy that population-wide numbers aren't very useful.
Population-wide numbers are useful for discussing a population-wide pandemic.

There's something really off in this country where people can't wrap their heads around discussing macro-level phenomenon in macro terms and not making them about a single hypothetical person (usually themselves). Individualist rhetoric taken to such extremes that people literally can't comprehend the idea of a collective. I get it, if you're 10 years old, you'd probably rather get covid than the flu, but we're not administering a disease to a single person, we're talking about a pandemic. This isn't that hard, dude.

Covid has, for a fact, been the deadliest outbreak in 100 years. And part of the reason for that is BECAUSE a lot of people aren't as affected and spread it asymptomatically. That doesn't make it less of a problem, in many ways it makes it MORE of a problem compared to, say SARS, which had a higher morbidity rate but which was much easier to contain as a result

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

There's something really off in this country where people can't wrap their heads around discussing macro-level phenomenon in macro terms and not making them about a single hypothetical person (usually themselves). Individualist rhetoric taken to such extremes that people literally can't comprehend the idea of a collective.

I get it, if you're 10 years old, you'd probably rather get covid than the flu, but we're not administering a disease to a single person, we're talking about a pandemic. This isn't that hard, dude.
If I have learned anything in the past year it's that it's hard to have a proper discussion about a "we" problem with "me" people.

SF Kosmo

If I have learned anything in the past year it's that it's hard to have a proper discussion about a "we" problem with "me" people.
And it isn't like we're discussing hypotheticals or predicting the future anymore either. 4 million people are dead. That makes it one of the deadliest pandemics in history. In only 16 months it managed to kill more people than all three waves of Cholera combined, and in fact more than any pandemic in history except for AIDS, Spanish Flu, and the Bubonic Plague. How is that not a big deal by any standard?

Last edited:
And it isn't like we're discussing hypotheticals or predicting the future anymore either. 4 million people are dead. That makes it one of the deadliest pandemics in history. In only 16 months it managed to kill more people than all three waves of Cholera combined, and in fact more than any pandemic in history except for AIDS, Spanish Flu, and the Bubonic Plague. How is that not a big deal by any standard?

For myself I can say I'm just trying to temper some of the alarmist crap that's got people making irreversible decisions based on fear and shame. We all know covid can kill you, but it's also clear most people believe the risks are much higher than what they are in reality because of all the fear mongering.

It's just not everyone's responsibility to protect everyone else, and it's not the government's responsibility to make us. You think people don't understand the concept of protecting other people? They do, it's just not the only consideration. You literally can't comprehend that someone could make a different choice? I would recommend anyone who is at risk weigh their options and consider maybe the vaccine is right for them. If you're at risk from dying from covid and can't get the vaccine for whatever reason, then that really sucks! In that case your immune system is probably compromised and you're at risk for dying from covid, the flu, or any other common infection. I don't think there's anything society can reasonably do to protect such a person, it's their responsibility to be isolated.

So how long do you think the alarm needs to keep ringing and people's freedom curtailed? Who is still at risk and hasn't been able to get vaccinated? Is anything less than 100% vaccination going to be enough for you?

Man. If only there were something people in Tennessee could do to prevent this. Thoughts and prayers.
Why? Is the vaccination rate 0 in Tennessee, asking because the article didn't mention a percentage of unvaccinated, one dose, or breakthrough cases that made up the total.

Guileless

There's something really off in this country where people can't wrap their heads around discussing macro-level phenomenon in macro terms and not making them about a single hypothetical person (usually themselves). Individualist rhetoric taken to such extremes that people literally can't comprehend the idea of a collective. I get it, if you're 10 years old, you'd probably rather get covid than the flu, but we're not administering a disease to a single person, we're talking about a pandemic. This isn't that hard, dude.

Covid has, for a fact, been the deadliest outbreak in 100 years. And part of the reason for that is BECAUSE a lot of people aren't as affected and spread it asymptomatically. That doesn't make it less of a problem, in many ways it makes it MORE of a problem compared to, say SARS, which had a higher morbidity rate but which was much easier to contain as a result

You are not going to win converts with a condescending tone. I can wrap my head around the CDC-supplied age-group specific IFR values for Covid: 0.003% for 0–19 years, 0.02% for 20–49 years, 0.5% for 50–69 years, and 5.4% for 70+ years. Lumping them together obscures more than it illuminates.

There is something off when poll after poll shows people are greatly exaggerating the likelihood of major illness/death caused by COVID.

We have to shift away from that wrong thinking and consider the collective of people, especially kids, whose health are negatively affected by lockdowns and restrictions.

I would be really curious to hear opinions on the case laid out in Bret Weinstein's latest podcast. He's speaks very intelligently and takes both the risks of Covid and the vaccines seriously. There's a lot of wrongthink in there, but if you turn up the volume really loud you can hear it through your plugged ears.

Raven117

Sure, lets talk about macro-level phenomenon. Macro, the elderly and pre-conditions people are FAR more at risk than anyone else. Those are the people that should have been specifically targeted to protect in the early days, not some draconian lock-down. The whole point was not to crash the medical system...that goal moved as fast as possible when it was shown that this wasn't really going to happen in the U.S.

Now that the vaccines are available to anyone in the U.S. (for the most part), its an individual decision. If they don't want to take it. Fine. Its their decision. I think the government should highly encourage it, but it shouldn't be mandated. Not at this phase. People are free to make their own decisions in this country.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Why? Is the vaccination rate 0 in Tennessee, asking because the article didn't mention a percentage of unvaccinated, one dose, or breakthrough cases that made up the total.

Literally the fourth sentence in the article provides one with some insight, my dude. We don't need extremely granular data to understand why this is happening there:

Tennessee ranks 44th among states for residents fully vaccinated, with 38.06 percent of people fully inoculated against COVID-19 as of July 12.

Also, if you keep up with the news a little regarding the state, you'd see the local government is fond of pushing back against common sense inoculation efforts (and public health efforts in general).

Last edited:

QSD

I would be really curious to hear opinions on the case laid out in Bret Weinstein's latest podcast. He's speaks very intelligently and takes both the risks of Covid and the vaccines seriously. There's a lot of wrongthink in there, but if you turn up the volume really loud you can hear it through your plugged ears.
well you can head right to the Twitter of Yuri Deigin, the guy who wrote the Quilette article, he's been writing a series of tweets about the podcast

Yuri Deigin Twitter

The problem for me is it's just way above my pay grade in biology to make sense of all the claims and counter-claims. Both Weinstein/Heying and Deigin speak with a lot of conviction, but there seems to be very little common ground between them. I wish they could turn down the heat a little and actually talk to one another directly.

SF Kosmo

You are not going to win converts with a condescending tone. I can wrap my head around the CDC-supplied age-group specific IFR values for Covid: 0.003% for 0–19 years, 0.02% for 20–49 years, 0.5% for 50–69 years, and 5.4% for 70+ years. Lumping them together obscures more than it illuminates.

These groups don't exist separately, though. You can't separate them because they impact each other.

Young people still get the disease, still spread the disease, still fill up hospital beds and still place a tremendous burden on the nation when they don't get vaccinated, in addition to increasing the death rate among the elderly and comorbid.

Just because one group is not dying at a high rate does not mean that group is not contributing to a higher death rate. You cannot simply separate the verticals out selectively as if these groups live on their own islands, dude.

I am not arguing for lockdowns at this point, we are past that point in the US and our vax numbers are decent enough -- even if they ought to be higher -- but your comments that we can treat this like the seasonal flu are just nonsense, it killed four million people even with some of the most extreme mitigation in history and a vaccine that arrived in 10 months. You can't pretend that's not a big deal.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
I wonder if any Gaf members have died of Covid.

I mean, we'd never know, because they would just stop posting. But it makes you wonder.

Literally the fourth sentence in the article provides one with some insight, my dude. We don't need extremely granular data to understand why this is happening there:

Also, if you keep up with the news a little regarding the state, you'd see the local government is fond of pushing back against common sense inoculation efforts (and public health efforts in general).
That didn't answer my question though, the article never broke down the cases by any categories.

I get where you're coming from, you just made what you think is a safe asumption. It came off to me as just shaming but likely thats on me.

vpance

There is something off when poll after poll shows people are greatly exaggerating the likelihood of major illness/death caused by COVID.

We have to shift away from that wrong thinking and consider the collective of people, especially kids, whose health are negatively affected by lockdowns and restrictions.

They want kids vaccinated. Nothing about that makes sense considering little to no long term data, the IFR for young people, and the NNV to prevent a death. They don't give a shit about them, and it's telling. Parental consent being unnecessary and ice cream incentives is just another red flag.

How long before they start offering Cod in game money or other similar stuff for getting the shot??

Yeah I'm so proud of little Timmy, him and his friends went and got vaccinated all by themselves, and the extra boosters! He's going again next week, what a considerate member of society.

Bill Gates is probably working with the XBL team now to get some kind of achievements setup for the shot

Only vaccinated players of COD will receive the in game vax. Non vaccinated players will die 30 seconds into the match. Media hails it as a brilliant teaching tool.

dcll

Banned
Could also have a new game mode. I can’t remember the name of the game but several years ago there was a game where you could play as the monster against the team of people. You could choose to be the unvaccinated monster versus a team of vaccinatined

Last edited:
Top Bottom