• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Let me break it down for you since you seem to be shook to the core:

People are not vaccinated, new wave comes, non-vaccinated end up in hospital, ICU, pressure on healthcare mounts.

Two options: you let people die or you lock things down again.

You let people die? Lol, good luck with that in a democracy.

You lock down? Ok, do you punish people that were vaccinated? Because of yes - why do you think it’s fair? They did their part, they got vaccinated, they are protected. During each of the lockdowns in the past we had no vaccine or not enough doses, that is not the case anymore.
Don't patronize me. I'm not "shook to the core". Lockdown and going door to door to theatrically force people to take vaccines is not the same.

thefool

I bring good news, everybody: vaccines fucking work

While the premise is, most likely, right (vaccines clearly protect against severe disease), I'll be the harbinger of bad news, people dying of respiratory diseases who have been vaccinated are not tabulated as covid deaths vs the others

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

All I can tell you is that the argument that because the government pays for your healthcare, to government gets to tell you what to do with regards to your health is not a selling point for socialized medicine. In fact, it’s the number one reason many people oppose it.
But it’s not government paying, it’s you. This is what many people in Europe don’t get - all that money comes from your taxes. Keeping it in line with Covid there are a lot of people that say ‘well, if the new wave comes that’s ok - government will pay money to keep people employed’. There is no logical link for people that this has to come from somewhere, aka taxes.

For now the government is trying to spin it as saying ‘no increase in taxes, we are just going to grow faster’, but I don’t know if it’s feasible.

What does that have to with being civilized?

There are cultural delicacies from all over the world that would seem weird to us just like some of the things that we eat here in the United States would be bizarre as hell to people from other countries.

I'm just trying to bring back the friendly nationalistic rivalry as a fun internet jousting competition, so far I'm loving the vibes as it's been all ragging on France.

But it’s not government paying, it’s you. This is what many people in Europe don’t get - all that money comes from your taxes. Keeping it in line with Covid there are a lot of people that say ‘well, if the new wave comes that’s ok - government will pay money to keep people employed’. There is no logical link for people that this has to come from somewhere, aka taxes.

For now the government is trying to spin it as saying ‘no increase in taxes, we are just going to grow faster’, but I don’t know if it’s feasible.
There is no reason France would have to close again. 50% of the population has already been vaccinated with one dose. In a few more weeks, that will mean 50% fully vaccinated. That alone will be enough to at least dampen the spread and prevent any overwhelming of the healthcare system.

Cyberpunkd

I'm just trying to bring back the friendly nationalistic rivalry as a fun internet jousting competition, so far I'm loving the vibes as it's been all ragging on France.
Nationalistic food competition - 100% agree, better than killing one another in a world war. Plus last time I checked we have the most Michelin stars in the world.

emmanuel macron meeting GIF by franceinfo

Cyberpunkd

There is no reason France would have to close again. 50% of the population has already been vaccinated with one dose. In a few more weeks, that will mean 50% fully vaccinated. That alone will be enough to at least dampen the spread and prevent any overwhelming of the healthcare system.
This is what I am hoping for, but I don’t know how bad the Delta variant can get.

LocalE

All I can tell you is that the argument that because the government pays for your healthcare, the government gets to tell you what to do with regards to your health is not a selling point for socialized medicine. In fact, it’s the number one reason many people oppose it. Almost everything you do impacts your health. What you eat, who you have sex with, where you go, how much you exercise, what activities you enjoy. All of it impacts your health.

It’s not “civilized” to be able to force people to take a medicine they don’t want to take. Even if it’s good for them. That’s tyranny dressed up as benevolence. It’s supposed to be their life to live. That’s the point of a free society.
I agree with all the personal health stuff. But maybe the real question is more along the lines of 'at what point should people who refuse to engage with issues of public health concern be asked to politely leave the society'? Or something.

Should those people be expected to go elsewhere and maybe meet to conglomerate in their own new nation where they can not only kill themselves with the familiar old pleasures, vices, and fuck-ups which we know are going to be part of human existence, but also agree with all their fellows to not give a shit how their choices affect each other?

I agree with all the personal health stuff. But maybe the real question is more along the lines of 'at what point should people who refuse to engage with issues of public health concern be asked to politely leave the society'? Or something.

Should those people be expected to go elsewhere and maybe meet to conglomerate in their own new nation where they can not only kill themselves with the familiar old pleasures, vices, and fuck-ups which we know are going to be part of human existence, but also agree with all their fellows to not give a shit how their choices affect each other?

Are you suggesting the punishment for not getting your glorified flu shot should be excommunication from society? Huh....

God it sure don't take much, huh?

Last edited:
Everyone can calm down now.

This was mentioned on Bret Weinstein's podcast: people have been told the vaccines are safe. If they develop strange symptoms they have already been trained to believe it couldn't have been the vaccine. If anything, unfortunately, these incidences are probably underreported and I think more and more problems are going to show up with time. They're using that 100 number as the basis for making a percentage figure that's incredibly small and getting ahead of the controversy by repeating "vaccines are still worth the risks" That number is sure to grow as awareness of adverse vaccine events increases.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
This was mentioned on Bret Weinstein's podcast: people have been told the vaccines are safe. If they develop strange symptoms they have already been trained to believe it couldn't have been the vaccine. If anything, unfortunately, these incidences are probably underreported and I think more and more problems are going to show up with time. They're using that 100 number as the basis for making a percentage figure that's incredibly small and getting ahead of the controversy by repeating "vaccines are still worth the risks" That number is sure to grow as awareness of adverse vaccine events increases.
Increase? Obviously. But that doesn't mean people need to be freaking out or try to desperately use this as "proof" the vaccines are all unsafe. Especially considering how obscenely rare it is and the fact that the two much more popular vaccines are not even affected by this side effect.

The vaccines are fine and are no more dangerous than any other FDA approved medication that has ultra rare and possibly dangerous side effects. Eventually people will have to accept that fact and get over their baseless nonsense.

Last edited:
Increase? Obviously. But that doesn't mean people need to be freaking out or try to desperately use this as "proof" the vaccines are all unsafe. Especially considering how obscenely rare it is and the fact that the two much more popular vaccines are not even affected by this side effect.

The vaccines are fine and are no more dangerous than any other FDA approved medication that has ultra rare and possibly dangerous side effects. Eventually people will have to accept that fact and get over their baseless nonsense.

"calm down" "freaking out" ... where?

Do you just read everyone's posts in all caps?

Here's a fact. Covid is an incredibly survivable disease. Old people have died all over the planet every day for however long the flu virus has been around. We just called it dying from old age / pneumonia.

More facts: everyone on the planet doesn't need to be vaccinated. Especially people who have already had covid, makes no sense at all. Yet we have people in here pushing for forced vaccinations, it's insanity.

My body my choice biotch.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Most data

While the premise is, most likely, right (vaccines clearly protect against severe disease), I'll be the harbinger of bad news, people dying of respiratory diseases who have been vaccinated are not tabulated as covid deaths vs the others

Any source on this? I’m genuinely curious what could explain the claims being made about the US and the discrepancy between them and data from other parts of the world.

Nobody_Important

"calm down" "freaking out" ... where?

Do you just read everyone's posts in all caps?

Here's a fact. Covid is an incredibly survivable disease. Old people have died all over the planet every day for however long the flu virus has been around. We just called it dying from old age / pneumonia.

More facts: everyone on the planet doesn't need to be vaccinated. Especially people who have already had covid, makes no sense at all. Yet we have people in here pushing for forced vaccinations, it's insanity.

My body my choice biotch.
Have you seen social media? Idiots who have been desperately trying to paint the vaccines as dangerous are using this story as "proof" they were right despite it doing no such thing. In fact it's ironically shown the vaccines are actually surprisingly stable given the fact that this is the only possible major side effect that has been attributed to one of the vaccines and even then it's only affecting something like 0.00008% of cases out of over 13 million doses. Meanwhile this ONLY affects one of the less widely used vaccines and the two much more popular vaccines are not affected by this at all. Yet despite these facts you have every conspiracy theorist and their mother on Twitter right now going "AHA!" as if this changes anything. It's just tiresome to watch science get attacked by idiots who clearly have no idea WTF they are talking about.

I wish people would just use even a little bit of common sense before pushing these conspiracy theories about the vaccines.

Last edited:
Have you seen social media? Idiots who have been desperately trying to paint the vaccines as dangerous are using this story as "proof" they were right despite it doing no such thing. In fact it's ironically shown the vaccines are actually surprisingly stable given the fact that this is the only possible major side effect that has been attributed to one of the vaccines and even then it's only affecting something like 0.00008% of cases out of over 13 million doses. Meanwhile this ONLY affects one of the less widely used vaccines and the two much more popular vaccines are not affected by this at all. Yet despite these facts you have every conspiracy theorist and their mother on Twitter right now going "AHA!" as if this changes anything. It's just tiresome to watch science get attacked by idiots who clearly have no idea WTF they are talking about.

I wish people would just use even a little bit of common sense before pushing these conspiracy theories about the vaccines.
Well I'm confused, are you talking to every conspiracy nutter on twitter or the people in this thread?

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
glorified flu shot

Sorry to be direct, but: we knew you were an anti science, anti vaxxer type from your rhetoric and insincerity, but thanks for dropping pretenses and no longer beating around the bush. I can safely ignore you now.

What's funny is that since such history has been recorded, France has won more battles than any other nation.

Last edited:

Yeah. That’s a fairly disgusting idea. You sound like every genocidal maniac ever. “When should people who won’t do what we want be removed from society?” Should we concentrate them in camps? The idea that we would criminalize inaction with respect to personal health is insane.

The vaccines protect those who take them. Those who chose not take them will bear the result of any consequences. Very very few people who choose to vaccinate will bear any consequences from the people who choose not to. So I fail to see why we should be forcing people to take care of themselves when the opportunity to protect ourselves is readily available to us all.

Nobody_Important

LOL we reach the end of the road, farewell dear friends, next time send your A team this was a tragic effort

I forgot the golden rule, you can only compare covid to the flu if it makes it seem scarier. :devilish:
Dude you compared a vaccine for a virus that has killed millions of people and upended society for the last year to a flu shot.

You don't look like a big brain right now. You just look like a bit of an ignorant nutter.

Last edited:
Dude you compared a vaccine for a virus that has killed millions of people and upended society for the last year to a flu shot.

You don't look like a big brain right now. You just look like a bit of an ignorant nutter.
I guarantee you the flu has killed more :)

ps ever hear of the spanish flu?

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

I guarantee you the flu has killed more :)
So has alcohol and cigarettes. Just because something else also kills large numbers of people doesn't mean people shouldn't be responsible and protect themselves as best they can when they can.

That logic is just as stupid now as it was when chuckleheads were spamming it last Summer during the lockdowns.

So has alcohol and cigarettes. Just because something else also kills large numbers of people doesn't mean people shouldn't be responsible and protect themselves as best they can when they can.

That logic is just as stupid now as it was when chuckleheads were spamming it last Summer during the lockdowns.
Seems like if the two things you're comparing are respiratory viruses killing large numbers of people might be a fair basis of comparison, no?

edit: Nice try with the smoking thing though, it made no sense but that confused me enough to hesitate, well played

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Seems like if the two things you're comparing are respiratory viruses killing large numbers of people might be a fair basis of comparison, no?
No. It's not. The deadliest flu season the US has had in the last decade according to the CDC is around 60k.

Covid killed over 500k people in the US in roughly that same period of time. Does that sound like a fair comparison to you?

Last edited:
No. It's not. The deadliest flu season the US has had in the last decade according to the CDC is around 60k.

Covid killed over 500k people in the US roughly that same period of time. Does that sound like a fair comparison to you?

I edited my post but you probably missed it. The spanish flu? Ever heard of it?

Have y'all had covid? For me and the vast majority of people, from what I understand, the experience is like a bad flu. That's my experience, if you want to ignore me for that then your loss sweetheart.

Covid killed over 500k people in the US roughly that same period of time. Does that sound like a fair comparison to you?
This is also a somewhat unfair comparison. Covid was a disease no one was immune to, which caused it to spread far more rapidly. The Spanish flu is a good comparison for covid, but we have to account for population difference.

So covid has killed something like 623,000 people in the US with a population of +330,000,000.

The 1918 flu killed 675,000 people with a US population of 103,000,000.

So if we scaled up the Spanish flu to current population levels, you’re looking at something like 2,000,000 dead. Now we would also have to take into consideration how medical advances today would keep more people from dying. But I’d say covid and the Spanish flu are very comparable in terms of their impacts.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

This is also a somewhat unfair comparison. Covid was a disease no one was immune to, which caused it to spread far more rapidly. The Spanish flu is a good comparison for covid, but we have to account for population difference.

So covid has killed something like 623,000 people in the US with a population of +330,000,000.

The 1918 flu killed 675,000 people with a US population of 103,000,000.

So if we scaled up the Spanish flu to current population levels, you’re looking at something like 2,000,000 dead. Now we would also have to take into considering how medical advances today would keep more people from dying. But I’d say covid and the Spanish flu are very comparable in terms of their impacts.
Except you know that when he was talking about the flu shot earlier (which is what kicked off this tangent) he wasn't talking about the Spanish flu.

"Flu" comparisons have been a ridiculous line of argument favored by anti-science anti-vaxxers since all of this started last year.

Last edited:
Except you know that when he was talking about the flu shot earlier (which is what kicked off this tangent) he wasn't talking about the Spanish flu.

"Flu" comparisons have been a ridiculous line of argument since all of this started.

You should be embracing the comparison, it was a horrible pandemic that wiped out millions.

"Flu" comparisons have been a ridiculous line of argument favored by anti-science anti-vaxxers since all of this started last year.
No they haven’t. It’s fine to compare things. Covid is worse than any flu that anyone alive can remember. But it’s not unprecedented in human history. I think that’s the point I’d make. So I think people who want to upend society over it are misguided.

Last edited:

Raven117

That’s tyranny dressed up as benevolence. It’s supposed to be their life to live. That’s the point of a free society.
This...This so freakin much.

So many....SO MANY...people miss this point that is boggles my mind. It seems many humans still can't comprehend the notion of freedom in any real sense. They'd rather just be told what to do and bitch about it rather than make choices for themselves (and or make choices for others).

Nobody_Important

No they haven’t. It’s fine to compare things. Covid is worse than any flu that anyone alive can remember. But it’s not unprecedented in human history. I think that’s the point I’d make. So I think people who want to upend society over it are misguided.
The fact you feel the need to reach back to the Spanish Flu in order to find a comparison you think is fair actually proves my point about the seriousness of all of this quite nicely I think.

Last edited:

Raven117

The flu comparison is simply incomplete. For MANY people, its a flu. For many people under the age of 60 and without pre-conditions, its a flu. For people over 60 and/or pre-conditions, it is absolutely not the flu.

There is more of a game of Russian roulette going on with Covid than the flu. For some, covid is even weaker than the flu...for others, well...it ends in death.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Is England still going along with the complete removal of restrictions on the 19th? Sorry. I haven't kept up. I've only got so much bandwidth for international affairs.

CloudNull

Banned
Then there is this rumor that Biden and DNC want to work with SMS carriers to censor "misinformation" about the vaccine sent by texts? Yall see that?
Yeah I was going to post it but it I felt it was crossing the line and I didn't want to get the thread closed. What is happening with all the countries across the pond making it mandatory to do anything and then that really causes some concern.

Top Bottom