• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I'm still baffled by the festival hyperspread event though, how the hell did that happen?
No one ever said you can't catch it outdoors, it's just not as bad as indoors because it doesn't hang around in the air as long. You're not likely to get it in a park 6 feet away from people but if you're crammed in with people in a crowd, and people right up in your face of course it will spread.

vpance

This is freaky. Warning from a doc in BC about blood clot findings from his patients.

Here’s another similiar interview of him with other doctors

Last edited:

Raven117

Went for a walk into town on this glorious summer day.

99% normality (Masks in stores is the only thing left). You love to see it :messenger_ok:
I know you live in a northern latitude when you say "Glorious summer day" and "masks in stores."

In the South, it is either liquefying humidity or scorching heat....and masks have been off everywhere for months!

Regardless, glad you are enjoying the day!

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
This is freaky. Warning from a doc in BC about blood clot findings from his patients.

I’m not a doctor but it’s estimated like 30 trillion cells are in the body, how can the vaccine have 40 trillion mrna units? I’m aware there’s lots of empty room in the body but…

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
lady came in today barely able to maintain her O2 sats on 5L of oxygen. Tested positive. Looks terrible. had her 2 Pfizer's in April/March....in her 70s, no major co-morbidities. very strange (・_・; )

anecdotally, I feel like before if someone got sick In a household, it was a crap shoot wether other people in that household also contracted the virus. but now it seems that when one person gets it, the entire household gets it

still feel like it could go either way,

Last edited:

bigsnack

lady came in today barely able to maintain her O2 sats on 5L of oxygen. Tested positive. Looks terrible. had her 2 Pfizer's in April/March....in her 70s, no major co-morbidities. very strange (・_・; )

anecdotally, I feel like before if someone got sick In a household, it was a crap shoot wether other people in that household also contracted the virus. but now it seems that when one person gets it, the entire household gets it

DeepBreath87 DeepBreath87 , what’s the deal with patients at your place of work? What are you seeing?

Last edited:

bigsnack

Are you in the US?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Lockdown is on the table for Los Angeles:

When asked if the county might consider re-implementing other health restrictions -- such as capacity limits and physical distancing, Davis said, "Everything is on the table if things continue to get worse."

So Los Angeles is threatening lockdown when they have nearly 60% fully vaccinated:
Currently, 69% of county residents aged 16 and older have received at least one dose of the vaccine, and 61% are fully vaccinated. Among those aged 65 and older, 88% have received at least one dose, and 78% are fully vaccinated.

ManaByte

Gold Member

Hes Right GIF by MOODMAN

sinnergy

The next part of this soap will start on Monday when the UK lifts measures and after 2 weeks scrambles to correct it 🤣 at the end of October we have a first version of a resistant version of COVID and we hear that we are having lock downs again . Time for a change in how we live.

But The Netherlands first !

Gonna get some cheap gasoline tomorrow in Germany because of Sunday, citizens of The Netherlands are a thread for Germans 🤣 and I can’t cross the border because I only had 1 jab. Life is great 👍🏻

I do like my cheap gasoline to drive to work!

Last edited:

This flip flopping for political expedience is what makes it blatantly political and hard to trust anything. Imagine a world where Trump was reelected, does anyone think the media would have the same relationship with the vaccines as they do now? I know it's purely speculative but c'mon...

edit: originally it was a different tweet pointing out the hypocrisy of Democrats opposing the vaccine during Trump's tenure

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
This flip flopping for political expedience is what makes it blatantly political and hard to trust anything. Imagine a world where Trump was reelected, does anyone think the media would have the same relationship with the vaccines as they do now? I know it's purely speculative but c'mon...

edit: originally it was a different tweet pointing out the hypocrisy of Democrats opposing the vaccine during Trump's tenure

C'mon there's a difference between politicians being the idiot liars they are and people spreading absolute bullshit about the vaccine on Facebook.

Check this out. These flyers were created by a pastor of a large church in Hawaii and are being spread around Facebook:

He says people shouldn't take the vaccine because it's the Mark of the Beast (it isn't), it'll change your DNA (it doesn't), contains aborted babies (it doesn't), and that it's mandated (it's not).

DeepBreath87 DeepBreath87 , what’s the deal with patients at your place of work? What are you seeing?
So we hard roughly 200 admitted covid patients at one point with about 30+ on ventilators (over 60 ventilators if you include non covid patients). That was during our peak last December/January.

We are now down under 10 total patients with covid in my hospital and have remained there for several weeks. It’s been under 20 for about 2 months. We have seen a couple of people (like 2-3) in the last few weeks who have been very sick, but they continue to be the people you would expect: obese, diabetic, and unvaccinated.

And where I live, no one has been wearing a mask in six weeks. Most people it’s been even longer. Our vaccination rate is pretty high for adults (+60%), so between that and prior infections, it seems like we’ve hit a pretty good place. Local infection numbers have been averaging under 15 a day in a county of over 400,000 people.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
So we hard roughly 200 admitted covid patients at one point with about 30+ on ventilators (over 60 ventilators if you include non covid patients). That was during our peak last December/January.

We are now down under 10 total patients with covid in my hospital and have remained there for several weeks. It’s been under 20 for about 2 months. We have seen a couple of people (like 2-3) in the last few weeks who have been very sick, but they continue to be the people you would expect: obese, diabetic, and unvaccinated.

And where I live, no one has been wearing a mask in six weeks. Most people it’s been even longer. Our vaccination rate is pretty high for adults (+60%), so between that and prior infections, it seems like we’ve hit a pretty good place. Local infection numbers have been averaging under 15 a day in a county of over 400,000 people.

Guess we need a hard lockdown again.

C'mon there's a difference between politicians being the idiot liars they are and people spreading absolute bullshit about the vaccine on Facebook.

Check this out. These flyers were created by a pastor of a large church in Hawaii and are being spread around Facebook:

He says people shouldn't take the vaccine because it's the Mark of the Beast (it isn't), it'll change your DNA (it doesn't), contains aborted babies (it doesn't), and that it's mandated (it's not).

Well, there's no helping people that will fall for that, right? We can't protect people from stupid. We can agree that's total fantasy but I don't want the Biden administration deciding what constitutes acceptable opinions.

Politicians are idiot liars though, so that being the case I'm not gonna take Biden at his word.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Well, there's no helping people that will fall for that, right? We can't protect people from stupid. We can agree that's total fantasy but I don't want the Biden administration deciding what constitutes acceptable opinions.

Politicians are idiot liars though, so that being the case I'm not gonna take Biden at his word.

Even with Freedom of Speech you can't go on an airplane and yell "bomb" or "fire" in a crowded movie theater. And 90% of the public are idiot sheep who believe whatever they read on Facebook, so flyers like those above and the people who create them ARE a problem.

It's even worse when it's a pastor doing it because if someone waves a Bible then the sheep believe them even more because there's no way a pastor will lie to them. /s

Last edited:
Even with Freedom of Speech you can't go on an airplane and yell "bomb" or "fire" in a crowded movie theater. And 90% of the public are idiot sheep who believe whatever they read on Facebook, so flyers like those above and the people who create them ARE a problem.

It's even worse when it's a pastor doing it because if someone waves a Bible then the sheep believe them even more because there's no way a pastor will lie to them. /s

Yeah, it's just that pastors have been screeching about the end of the world since the beginning of the world. It's a problem, but one that we solve by challenging their crackpot ideas.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yeah, it's just that pastors have been screeching about the end of the world since the beginning of the world. It's a problem, but one that we solve by challenging their crackpot ideas.

Yes but it's reached the point where they are actively telling people "Don't get vaccinated because it's the Mark of the Beast that will change your DNA using aborted babies" and people believe them. Then when Facebook or YouTube removes their video for pushing anti-vax lies, they cry to their followers about how they're being censored for speaking the truth and they make more money.

This JD Farag guy who made those fliers up there now does one thing on FB/YouTube and then turns off his livestream before he gets into the anti-vax bullshit and then streams that stuff on his iOS/Android app. The problem is Apple and Google don't seem to care so they allow people to do whatever they want and spread whatever bullshit lies they want using their apps...as long as their developer fee is paid up and they're not interfering with the app store 30% tax.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Absolute bullshit and anti-vaxx crazies have been on the Internet since the beginning, but involving the government in the crackdown of 'bullshit' is a really dangerous precedent that we will absolutely regret in the future if we do not reign in.

Off topic, but crazy conspiracies always have the worst graphic design... There's definitely an 'aesthetic' to The Truth Is Out There crowd.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Absolute bullshit and anti-vaxx crazies have been on the Internet since the beginning, but involving the government in the crackdown of 'bullshit' is a really dangerous precedent that we will absolutely regret in the future if we do not reign in.

Off topic, but crazy conspiracies always have the worst graphic design... There's definitely an 'aesthetic' to The Truth Is Out There crowd.

It becomes a problem when every Karen on Facebook is signal boosting the anti-vaxx stuff by taking those flyers and posting them in every group they're a part of and in replies to every COVID post on the platform.

QSD

Well I don't know whether you got round to watching that Rebel Wisdom video I posted a couple of pages ago (the one about the Weinstein/Ivermectin saga) but in it David Fuller raises the point that there have been one or more groups on facebook that claim that autism can be cured by having kids drink bleach, which some insane and desperate parents have apparently tried. That's a point where I find myself getting squeamish... It's a difficult problem.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Well I don't know whether you got round to watching that Rebel Wisdom video I posted a couple of pages ago (the one about the Weinstein/Ivermectin saga) but in it David Fuller raises the point that there have been one or more groups on facebook that claim that autism can be cured by having kids drink bleach, which some insane and desperate parents have apparently tried. That's a point where I find myself getting squeamish... It's a difficult problem.

But what about freedom of speech??

Yes I did watch it and that's very true. Does suggesting someone not get vaccinated constitute medical advice? Even though it's recommending against a procedure I would have to say it does, which would make it morally equivalent to telling someone to take a medicine that may or may not be good for them.

Even still, people need to be able to discuss their fringe theories in the open so we can discredit them with honest discussion and let people decide.

edit: It's really tragic what desperate people can be conned into. However, if you are a parent and you feed your kid bleach ("drinking bleach" is shorthand for killing yourself) I'm gonna have to blame you for that one. There's all kinds of bad information out there, but the best way we've found to make sense of it is talk openly, not censor.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

The bleach drinkers are retarded.

I don’t get how as a human you get to the point of thinking hey these people who’ve devoted their lives to practicing medicine are wrong, but some random turd on Facebook knows what’s up.

And then proceed to drink bleach.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!

I took one look at your summary of that video and was ready to report it for COVID-19 vaccine misinformation, then saw the source. Good ol' Bitchute.....

TNtFN7X.png

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yes I did watch it and that's very true. Does suggesting someone not get vaccinated constitute medical advice? Even though it's recommending against a procedure I would have to say it does, which would make it morally equivalent to telling someone to take a medicine that may or may not be good for them.

Even still, people need to be able to discuss their fringe theories in the open so we can discredit them with honest discussion and let people decide.

edit: It's really tragic what desperate people can be conned into. However, if you are a parent and you feed your kid bleach ("drinking bleach" is shorthand for killing yourself) I'm gonna have to blame you for that one. There's all kinds of bad information out there, but the best way we've found to make sense of it is talk openly, not censor.

There's a difference between a nutbar on a forum talking about a fringe theory and someone speaking from a position of authority and actively telling people to not get vaccinated by giving them a list of bullshit lies to justify it that are easily shared.

I took one look at your summary of that video and was ready to report it for COVID-19 vaccine misinformation, then saw the source. Good ol' Bitchute.....

TNtFN7X.png
I wouldn’t denigrate anyone just for being on Bitchute. But these people who are really pushing the “covid vax is bad for you” are going to have to start putting up some numbers. Because while I think we can all admit there is some risk of a bad outcome, it’s not any higher than the risk you take when you pull your car out of the driveway every day.

Last edited:

QSD

IDK the technicalities but morally it seems about equivalent to me... there are also these pro-anorexia groups around where girls encourage each other not to eat
Yeah so comparing this to Weinstein I still feel he should not be censored. But I'll acknowledge that I can't clearly articulate where the line is which bothers me.
I feel sorry for the kids, it's not their fault the parent(s) are nuts

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It becomes a problem when every Karen on Facebook is signal boosting the anti-vaxx stuff by taking those flyers and posting them in every group they're a part of and in replies to every COVID post on the platform.

A problem for whom and why should it not be allowed? That's where I get stuck. People need to be able to express themselves and others need to be able to decide for themselves about how they want to conduct their lives. I sincerely doubt that there is a significant number of people who were not already pre-disposed to being anti-vaxx who are suddenly deciding not to get the jab based off shitty info dump infographics. If someone has quantified this, I would like to see their data and methodology.

You defeat this stuff by having better messaging and convincing people with clear evidence for why they should believe you.

QSD

The bleach drinkers are retarded.

I don’t get how as a human you get to the point of thinking hey these people who’ve devoted their lives to practicing medicine are wrong, but some random turd on Facebook knows what’s up.

And then proceed to drink bleach.
It's a crisis of trust. It's not that they think that the doctors are wrong per se, they just don't assume that they have the publics best interests at heart. It's a reasonable assumption, considering doctors have been known to take incentives from pharmaceutical companies to liberally prescribe extremely addictive painkillers

Last edited:

vpance

I wouldn’t denigrate anyone just for being on Bitchute. But these people who are really pushing the “covid vax is bad for you” are going to have to start putting up some numbers. Because while I think we can all admit there is some risk of a bad outcome, it’s not any higher than the risk you take when you pull your car out of the driveway every day.

I mean, if the cumulative effects will only be seen in the medium to long term then we can only wait and monitor. At least for now it's good to see there are still some docs out there looking at these things from different angles. Better to know about potential implications to prepare for them if they arise.

Top Bottom