• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yes, I am in fact against the government mandating seatbelts and speed limits. One doesn’t need the government to work and the other is just a money making machine.

I am against all government intervention where there hasn’t been a crime with a victim (other than oneself).
Open the borders, defund the police, abolish ICE? I believe their is another gaming forum out there that might be more receptive to your ideas.

A month ago we were being told that we’d have 200,000 delta cases a day if we opened up in the U.K - even with so many of us vaccinated.

Vaccines working exactly the way they should be. Zero lockdown in UK anywhere, with the most virulent version of the disease there is.

Between the vaccine and the infections, you probably are approaching herd immunity.

Last edited:

poppabk

A month ago we were being told that we’d have 200,000 delta cases a day if we opened up in the U.K - even with so many of us vaccinated.

Vaccines working exactly the way they should be. Zero lockdown in UK anywhere, with the most virulent version of the disease there is.

Good sign that the latest delta wave will likely be self limiting

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I also know what covid does to people because I've had it, my brother was intubated and my work requires me to keep myself updated on the situation of every hospital that tends to infected people in my state. My argument wasn't that "any action is justified regardless of the number of people dying". Let me be 100% clear about this because it seems to have caused some confusion: my argument is that DEATH NUMBERS is not a factor that should motivate the government to take any action in regards to Covid because as far as public measures goes it's not determinant. You fight the SPREAD RATE, not the death rate. Again, if you're taking action in response to people dying, you're taking action too late.

Angry Gary Oldman GIF

I'm not in charge though, but yeah I'd make it mandatory and if you complain about it I'd make it mandatory for you to take the shot up the ass.

Jesus Christ, this whole pandemic really broke some people. It’s really easy now to see how past authoritarian governments gained power with popular support.

“It couldn’t happen here” is true nowhere, it seems.

poppabk

I really want to see a breakdown of this data, because 1,400 deaths out of 125,000 cases is a way, way higher CFR than we are seeing in the general population for all COVID-19 cases.
It's because you are effectively selecting for the highly vulnerable. Ie People who are significantly immunocompromised because those with a functioning immune system who get exposed would fight it off without ever knowing they had an infection.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's because you are effectively selecting for the highly vulnerable. Ie People who are significantly immunocompromised because those with a functioning immune system who get exposed would fight it off without ever knowing they had an infection.

Again, we really need to see the breakdown by age group and comorbidities. I doubt we will, however, considering even getting these numbers required investigative journalists to piece together disparate data from various states due to the CDC no longer being serious about tracking breakthrough infections.

Sad state we are in, truly.

Sakura

I really want to see a breakdown of this data, because 1,400 deaths out of 125,000 cases is a way, way higher CFR than we are seeing in the general population for all COVID-19 cases.
Probably because the majority of people vaccinated wouldn't get to the point of being a breakthrough case in the first place. They say about 1% of the vaccinated was a breakthrough case, and then you have a CFR of 1.1%, so your chance of getting corona and dying from it would be 0.01% I think (not good at math).
Though there isn't really enough data in that article to make a good argument either way. How many of those fully vaccinated would've gotten corona if they weren't vaccinated?

Raven117

I can't speak for where you live, but in general the necessity of shutting anything down is going to the depend largely on the spread rate of that place. It shouldn't be the first measure, but if it looks like shit could spiral out of control you just have to do it.
You sure don’t.

Want to practice some social distancing sure. Lockdowns have been shown to be ineffective as compared to the devastating cost.
Couple that with any country with readily available vaccines? Insanity. There is no “spiral out of control” the deaths and hospitalizations are super low. (In vaxxed countries)

Raven117

I also know what covid does to people because I've had it, my brother was intubated and my work requires me to keep myself updated on the situation of every hospital that tends to infected people in my state. My argument wasn't that "any action is justified regardless of the number of people dying". Let me be 100% clear about this because it seems to have caused some confusion: my argument is that DEATH NUMBERS is not a factor that should motivate the government to take any action in regards to Covid because as far as public measures goes it's not determinant. You fight the SPREAD RATE, not the death rate. Again, if you're taking action in response to people dying, you're taking action too late.

Angry Gary Oldman GIF

I'm not in charge though, but yeah I'd make it mandatory and if you complain about it I'd make it mandatory for you to take the shot up the ass.
No. You fight death and hospitalization rates.

otherwise this line of thinking can be used to justify anything. You just admire jackboots.

Jesus Christ, this whole pandemic really broke some people. It’s really easy now to see how past authoritarian governments gained power with popular support.

I've been thinking this too over the past month or so. Convince the population of a threat and turn them against each other, then offer a "solution" through authoritarianism. It's baffling to see people supporting giving the government more control and openly calling for surveillance/power to enforce things. It leads down a dangerous road.

Libertarian extremists stay mad as fuck please. If millions of people dying haven't taught you fucks any sense of civility, then god help you to circle jerk away the same ruminated Orwell lines.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

NYC’s Mayor DeBlasio is now expected to announce a vaccine requirement for all restaurant dining. Not sure exactly how the government has the authority to mandate that for private businesses, but it’s abundantly clear that we’re living in a clown world ruled by hysteria and paranoia and not the actual data.
Same way as they require businesses to get a licence to sell alcohol. Actually vaccination requirement is probably a lot easier to pass.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Libertarian extremists stay mad as fuck please. If millions of people dying haven't taught you fucks any sense of civility, then god help you to circle jerk away the same ruminated Orwell lines.

There were not millions of excess deaths in this country. Maybe a few hundred thousand and that is with faulty data. It’s a shitty disease but bad things happen and we do not form governments to do whatever it takes in order to protect us from any and all chance of disease at the cost of all of our freedoms and ability to live our own lives as we please.

The reaction may have been briefly justified last February and March when a lot was still unknown and we saw people falling over dead in the streets of Wuhan, but we’ve long since learned a great deal about this virus and the danger simply does not justify the current reaction in many countries.

There were not millions of excess deaths in this country. Maybe a few hundred thousand and that is with faulty data. It’s a shitty disease but bad things happen and we do not form governments to do whatever it takes in order to protect us from any and all chance of disease at the cost of all of our freedoms and ability to live our own lives as we please.

The reaction may have been briefly justified last February and March when a lot was still unknown and we saw people falling over dead in the streets of Wuhan, but we’ve long since learned a great deal about this virus and the danger simply does not justify the current reaction in many countries.

That sounds very american, are you afraid someone is going to take away your rights to be morbidly obese?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That sounds very american, are you afraid someone is going to take away your rights to be morbidly obese?

Yes, it is very American. If you want military in the streets enforcing lockdown then there are a few countries that would happily accommodate.

Obesity is a huge problem in the US and much of the west, but yes, that should be left up to the individual. With that said, I wish authorities would do more to encourage people get to a healthy weight and exercise as overweight and obesity are the biggest correlative factors with hospitalization and death to COVID. Not even mentioning heart attack and all other manner of disease.

Get slim and fit and health will follow for the vast majority of people. Can’t make much money off that, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that not supposed to be a compliment? The morbid obesity dig aside, it is American to value living your life largely free of government supervision and interference. You can decide whether you think that’s a good thing or a bad thing I guess, but it’s certainly American to value that kind of individual independence.

poppabk

Yes, it is very American. If you want military in the streets enforcing lockdown then there are a few countries that would happily accommodate.

Obesity is a huge problem in the US and much of the west, but yes, that should be left up to the individual. With that said, I wish authorities would do more to encourage people get to a healthy weight and exercise as overweight and obesity are the biggest correlative factors with hospitalization and death to COVID. Not even mentioning heart attack and all other manner of disease.

Get slim and fit and health will follow for the vast majority of people. Can’t make much money off that, though.
Are you kidding? The diet and fitness industry is HUUUGE. People make shit loads of money off it.

QSD

Yes, I am in fact against the government mandating seatbelts and speed limits. One doesn’t need the government to work and the other is just a money making machine.

I am against all government intervention where there hasn’t been a crime with a victim (other than oneself).
You're against speed limits until some would-be formula one driver pancakes your kid, Hulk. You could send him to jail and take away his license, but that's not gonna bring the little guy/girl back. Water under the bridge I guess? Just make another one?

Hulk_Smash

Banned
You're against speed limits until some would-be formula one driver pancakes your kid, Hulk. You could send him to jail and take away his license, but that's not gonna bring the little guy/girl back. Water under the bridge I guess? Just make another one?
So, speed limits would stop that would be formula one rider? They must not have had speed limits where Paul Walker died then.

QSD

So, speed limits would stop that would be formula one rider? They must not have had speed limits where Paul Walker died then.
It's a numbers game. Not all traffic accidents can be avoided, but it's possible to reduce the # significantly if speed limits are implemented.

RAÏSanÏa

At press time, Premier Jason Kenney announced children will be the test subjects for the province’s optional seat belt initiative.

This thread is giving them ideas!

Beaverton is satire.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie

lol what a fucking idiot.

is this referring to ivermectin? I was listening to Phil valentine broadcast about him loading up on vitamin D, ivermectin, and hydroxychloroquine, and after contracting the virus he's in ICU about to go on ECMO. some people are just making this way harder than it has to be....

RAÏSanÏa

Bit of a surprise it was only 2 weeks. Some reason thought it was longer and closer to a month too. That 30% drop in positive tests is big change in 7 days.

rt7rI7l.png

The 15% increase in deaths and hospitalizations in the same 7 days is a little concerning, but the numbers looks manageable. Over the next few weeks data will show trends with lifting restrictions and vaxx. Then everyone will see if they level and go down. Especially as vaccination rates increase. UK already has insanely good vaxx rates.

Glad to see the UK tracking and sharing the data. Gives an idea of what to expect.

Kilau

So is delta variant really sending teens to the ER and needing vents like I’ve been hearing? My sister was a vaccine hold out until this Saturday but she got scared enough to get it along with her husband and their 16 and 18 year old kids.

So is delta variant really sending teens to the ER and needing vents like I’ve been hearing? My sister was a vaccine hold out until this Saturday but she got scared enough to get it along with her husband and their 16 and 18 year old kids.
No. It’s not. To this point, throughout the entire pandemic, there have been fewer than 350 deaths under the age of 18. That’s in roughly a year and a half. If more people in that age group were being hospitalized and vented, more would almost certainly be dying. There will be some increase in the number of hospitalizations in the younger age groups as cases go up because they are the least vaccinated group in the country. But they do not appear significantly susceptible to the delta variant than they were to any of the other versions of covid.

Jaysen

Banned
is this referring to ivermectin? I was listening to Phil valentine broadcast about him loading up on vitamin D, ivermectin, and hydroxychloroquine, and after contracting the virus he's in ICU about to go on ECMO. some people are just making this way harder than it has to be....
Yep, these dumbshits are antivax, but are pro every other weird drug on the planet that hasn’t been proven to do a thing.

No. It’s not. To this point, throughout the entire pandemic, there have been fewer than 350 deaths under the age of 18. That’s in roughly a year and a half. If more people in that age group were being hospitalized and vented, more would almost certainly be dying. There will be some increase in the number of hospitalizations in the younger age groups as cases go up because they are the least vaccinated group in the country. But they do not appear significantly susceptible to the delta variant than they were to any of the other versions of covid.
The current count (via CDC) is 340 covid deaths in the states ages 0-17. What's odd about most of the people I've spoken to that think we should require COVID-19 vaccines for kids in school talk about the unknown long term effects of long haul COVID, while poo poo'ing people being wary of the (possible) long term effects of the vaccines.

In b4 "THIS IS DIFFERENT". No shit it's different, but it's similar and I understand the thinking of 'both sides' on this one, I just lean towards not forcing these current vaccines on kids at this time.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Yep, these dumbshits are antivax, but are pro every other weird drug on the planet that hasn’t been proven to do a thing.
update from his brother:
Phil has stabilized, kidney function is fine, HR & BP are good as well. Condition is critical but stable. Keep the prayers coming please!

yeah...prayers is definitely what he needs...don't praise the countless nurses and doctors that have literally sacrificed their lives in the past year working tirelessly to keep you alive so you can return home to your loved ones, no matter how selfish and ungrateful you may have been.

vpance

Full approval by the FDA seems inevitable, which will let more places make it mandatory.

“We’d like to see it approved as fast as humanly possible, so we can really go back to just the more normal experience,” said Jim Malatras, chancellor of the State University of New York system, which serves 400,000 students. Under guidance from the state, he cannot impose a vaccine mandate for students until the shots are granted full approval. For now the school is requiring vaccines or weekly testing, similar to the federal policy that President Biden announced on Thursday.

Advisers to the FDA and former FDA officials familiar with the process predict that full approval of at least Pfizer’s vaccine could come in September or October. President Biden said Thursday he expects the approval of the vaccines to happen in the early fall. And FDA officials have said they intend to finish the process “far in advance” of the regulatory deadline following applications, which Pfizer says is in January.

update from his brother:
Phil has stabilized, kidney function is fine, HR & BP are good as well. Condition is critical but stable. Keep the prayers coming please!

yeah...prayers is definitely what he needs...don't praise the countless nurses and doctors that have literally sacrificed their lives in the past year working tirelessly to keep you alive so you can return home to your loved ones, no matter how selfish and ungrateful you may have been.
Eh, as someone who actually does that, while I see what you’re saying, I am never quick to judge the people who say stuff like that. Hopefully they’re praying for the people taking care of him too. Usually that is the case. It’s insanely tough watching a family member in these situations, so I don’t want to be too hard on whatever people say that gets them through.

TheContact

getting a little OT here but the govt mandating seatbelts isn’t necessarily for the protection of the person wearing the seatbelt. Like a mask, you wear it to protect others as well as yourself. Your body flying at a high rate of speed is a weapon. Speeding in a vehicle is dangerous and affects others, not just the speeder. If a heroin addict wants to shoot up in an alley and kill themselves, they aren’t physically hurting anyone, at worst they psychologically hurt anyone who could potentially love them.

Last edited:

Dev1lXYZ

Dammit we just bought disneyworld tickets for October and they just implemented mask mandates for indoors,ugh.

If you can refund them, do so. Disney World sucks with masks. Annual Pass holder here. I went twice this past year, and both times required masks. It’s absolutely grueling walking around in the heat and humidity with that thing on. That cast members are like a police force on those things as well. You can tell they hate it. Never mind the constant recording over the sound system regarding wearing a mask at all times. They couldn’t pay me enough to return and have to wear a mask. I won’t be back to Disney for a long time with the way things are going.

ntropy

oh my, what compelling anecdotal evidence!

Top Bottom