• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

FunkMiller

Wow that’s interesting because most Aussies I’ve met are really cool but you seem intent on being a sanctimonious asshole. Maybe it’s a you problem?

Dude. All that salt in your diet is bad for your blood pressure.

Blood Pressure Heart GIF by San Diego County

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
There were 2,208 people on the Titanic.
1,503 of them died.

Maybe you'll reflect on the crassness and simple mindedness of your analogy but you probably won't.
Covid has killed millions. I think you're letting the case death rate blind you to the sheer magnitude of this tragedy.

There's a sad irony to the fact that the very thing that makes some people not take Covid seriously (i.e. asymptomatic and low symptomatic spread) is the same quality that makes it so very deadly.

I have been reading some books about the beginnings of the outbreak lately and you see all the experts shit their pants when they realize that some people are getting mild and asymptomatic cases, because they knew that meant it would be impossible to contain.

If you think "only" killing 1% or so makes it no big deal then I think you probably either don't understand how many people that is, or you are only thinking about yourself.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

In New York?

This shit is done in New York. Why would he still be so adamant about this?
Statewide stats don't tell the whole picture. Even in the metro, places like Staten Island and Suffolk county have really low vax rates. All the places with a lot of middle class white guidos are nightmares right now. To say nothing of the more rural parts of the state.

Death rates are keeping low in NY, but I hear hospitalizations are getting pretty high in those hotspot areas with low vax rates.

SF Kosmo

No, we do not.
I mean in theory we do. We can update the vaccines to tackle variants with really high efficacy but we don't have the regulatory pipe to do it at a pace that can keep up with mutations. We need to figure that out.

Cyberpunkd

All the places with a lot of middle class white guidos are nightmares right now.
How can they be both middle class and guidos? Unless I’m missing something about social strata in the US? For me guidos are white thrash, middle class is something more than simply your income level.

sinnergy

Now the WHO need constellations for naming COVID, you know we are in a world of shit in the future as you need so many options 🤣 couldn’t they nummer Aplha = Covid2? You can just keep numbering, in 2030 : COVID9999999

Now you get : COVID Big bear! COVID Milkyway 😝

It’s sad and funny and completely clueless at the same time …

Last edited:
Now the WHO need constellations for naming COVID, you know we are in a world of shit in the future as you need so many options 🤣 couldn’t they nummer Aplha Covid1? You can just keep numbering, in 2030 : COVID9999999

Now you get : COVID Big bear! COVID Milkyway 😝

It’s sad and funny and completely clueless at the same time …

You talking about variants? They’re all called something like B.1.135 or something

The WHO are using the Greek alphabet (not constellations btw) because we were defaulting to giving these variants pet names based on where they originated, which seemed to be fine for UK or South African variants but for the Indian variant we now refer to as the Delta. It’s an interesting rebranding exercise.

sinnergy

You talking about variants? They’re all called something like B.1.135 or something

The WHO are using the Greek alphabet (not constellations btw) because we were defaulting to giving these variants pet names based on where they originated, which seemed to be fine for UK or South African variants but for the Indian variant we now refer to as the Delta. It’s an interesting rebranding exercise.
They are gonna use constellations 😉 apparently they think they will be running out of the Greek Alphabet very soon…

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

How can they be both middle class and guidos? Unless I’m missing something about social strata in the US? For me guidos are white thrash, middle class is something more than simply your income level.
Nah, guido has nothing to do with money. Being trashy has nothing to do with money either.

Jaysen

Banned

They learned that naming it after certain locations lead to a huge increase in racism and violence against people who simply appear to be from that country, especially if that country consists mostly of minorities. Good on them for changing it. One less reason for racists to do their thing.

adj83

Neo Member
I mean in theory we do. We can update the vaccines to tackle variants with really high efficacy but we don't have the regulatory pipe to do it at a pace that can keep up with mutations. We need to figure that out.

I don't think this will be a good long term option because the vaccine is only providing protection against the spike protein and that seems to be significantly mutating, to the point it evades immunity, pretty quickly. With how this year has gone, we could end up needing to have 2 booster shots every year.

I think they need to start looking into a vaccine that provides immunity to the whole virus. It should be a lot harder for it to mutate to the point it evades vaccine immunity that way and I think this is a better long term solution.

RAÏSanÏa

Should use MCU characters. If a Florida variant takes off pretty sure it's gonna be called "The Blip".

Constellations is good. Worldwide recognition in their own language.

A few more variants of concern in the future makes sense as this hopefully winds down over the next 12-18 months.

Lay people probably shouldn't be doing basement clinical studies on purchases from Pet Smart.

SF Kosmo

I don't think this will be a good long term option because the vaccine is only providing protection against the spike protein and that seems to be significantly mutating, to the point it evades immunity, pretty quickly. With how this year has gone, we could end up needing to have 2 booster shots every year.

I think they need to start looking into a vaccine that provides immunity to the whole virus. It should be a lot harder for it to mutate to the point it evades vaccine immunity that way and I think this is a better long term solution.
I get why you might think that, but remember time isn't what leads to mutations, it's spread.

Covid doesn't actually mutate at a very high rate compared to other viruses, it just spreads so quickly that we see these mutations happening in a tighter time frame.

But vaccines slow the spread, which in turn slows the opportunities for the virus to reproduce and mutate. So actually if we get speedy rollout of vaccines to reduce transmission, it will solve the mutation problem.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Theoretically, maybe, but I don't think even under the most ideal circumstances for trying to vaccinate our way out we ever had a chance.

First, I don't think we currently even have any vaccines that sufficiently protect against infection, but even if we did, eradicating the virus was never in the cards. Let's say that those initial 95% efficacy against infection trial results actually applied to the real world. Let's also say that we could all magically act as one nation and have a globally coordinated vaccine rollout. Maybe we could administer 100,000,000 shots per day at max capacity (likely far lower than that in reality). It would still take 79 days to vaccinate the entire world population and then you have to tack on 21 more days to complete everyone's vaccination with a second shot. All the while during these 100 days we are still seeing sustained spread and viral mutations around the world that are lowering the efficacy of the ongoing vaccination efforts, but even if we somehow injected everyone, that still leaves 5% (394,241,978 people) able to get infected, and depending on how spread out they are, that could easily keep the virus moving around and mutating into something that allows it to bypass whatever effects the vaccines have.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like an impossible proposition to me.

SF Kosmo

Theoretically, maybe, but I don't think even under the most ideal circumstances for trying to vaccinate our way out we ever had a chance.

First, I don't think we currently even have any vaccines that sufficiently protect against infection, but even if we did, eradicating the virus was never in the cards. Let's say that those initial 95% efficacy against infection trial results actually applied to the real world. Let's also say that we could all magically act as one nation and have a globally coordinated vaccine rollout. Maybe we could administer 100,000,000 shots per day at max capacity (likely far lower than that in reality). It would still take 79 days to vaccinate the entire world population and then you have to tack on 21 more days to complete everyone's vaccination with a second shot. All the while during these 100 days we are still seeing sustained spread and viral mutations around the world that are lowering the efficacy of the ongoing vaccination efforts, but even if we somehow injected everyone, that still leaves 5% (394,241,978 people) able to get infected, and depending on how spread out they are, that could easily keep the virus moving around and mutating into something that allows it to bypass whatever effects the vaccines have.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like an impossible proposition to me.
Again, you're sort assuming a sustained frequency of mutations rather than lowering that as spread is slowed. Time doesn't mutate the virus, spread does.

FunkMiller

But vaccines slow the spread, which in turn slows the opportunities for the virus to reproduce and mutate. So actually if we get speedy rollout of vaccines to reduce transmission, it will solve the mutation problem.

Vaccines are the only way out of this pandemic, without suffering a huge death toll. Not quite sure why so many people are determined not to believe this.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Vaccines are the only way out of this pandemic, without suffering a huge death toll. Not quite sure why so many people are determined not to believe this.

Because they clearly are not blocking infection very well in the real world. It's really quite simple. Just look at Israel's daily cases, which are twice what they were at this time last year.

Unless you just mean reducing the death rate among higher risk individuals as the way out, because they definitely appear to be quite effective in that regard.

FunkMiller

Because they clearly are not blocking infection very well in the real world. It's really quite simple. Just look at Israel's daily cases, which are twice what they were at this time last year.

Unless you just mean reducing the death rate among higher risk individuals as the way out, because they definitely appear to be quite effective in that regard.

Yes. That's the point of them. But not just deaths. Serious infections too. That's why the vaccines were invented. If it wasn't a serious disease for some, we wouldn't have bothered.

Last edited:

vpance

According to the CDC Delta is more contagious than chickenpox. Leaky vaccines aren't going to put a dent in it even if we get 100% coverage.

RAÏSanÏa

If spikes change the mapping for the mRNA vaccine is updated and new doses made and redistributed is my local folk medicine explanation. 🧂

Virulence/severity and contagion changes. Fortify involuntary unvaccinated with as much normalacy as possible and test, trace, isolate cases. Treat and adjust accordingly with developments. Weather the outbreaks until mutations are uncommon.

That Indonesia article earlier makes me wonder if they would be interested in Canada's help with vaccine once we're caught up here. Think our nations are on good terms. Once our other commitments to COVAX and whatever else are completed or sustained.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
An expert on social media said it once, so it has to be true.

Or you can, you know, just kind of look at the numbers for yourself and compare the number of cases in highly vaccinated countries to the same time last year. Here are some resources:

RAÏSanÏa

Or you can, you know, just kind of look at the numbers for yourself and compare the number of cases in highly vaccinated countries to the same time last year. Here are some resources:

What country are you from?

Excess

Anecdotal, but I know people across the western world thanks to my job and my background, and in no other country is there anything like the levels of anti vax silliness that infects America.
I don't consider this statement to be a pejorative in any way, even if you intended it that way. It's what's unique about Americanism: Skepticism and rejection of authority and control. It's the whole reason America even exists, and I consider it a compliment.

adj83

Neo Member
I get why you might think that, but remember time isn't what leads to mutations, it's spread.

Covid doesn't actually mutate at a very high rate compared to other viruses, it just spreads so quickly that we see these mutations happening in a tighter time frame.

It will be time and spread. A mutation in an RNA virus usually happens around 1 in every 100,000 replications (if I remember correctly) so the number of people infected and the duration of infection will both be factors. Those mutations can be good, bad or neutral, and everywhere in between.

Even if we get vaccination rates up to a high enough level, there will be other countries that have lower rates and we could end up with another case like the Delta strain coming from India.

According to the CDC Delta is more contagious than chickenpox. Leaky vaccines aren't going to put a dent in it even if we get 100% coverage.

Yeah, a new vaccine that provides sterilising immunity against the entire virus structure (instead of just the protein and it being leaky) would be so much better.

SF Kosmo

I don't consider this statement to be a pejorative in any way, even if you intended it that way. It's what's unique about Americanism: Skepticism and rejection of authority and control. It's the whole reason America even exists, and I consider it a compliment.
I think it's important to distinguish between skepticism and conspiracy derp, because they aren't the same thing.

A skeptic asks to be convinced with an open mind and believes what the balance of evidence suggests.

This is NOT what is happening with American conspiracy culture, which is where someone selects a conclusion that they believe emotionally and the seeks out information or peer groups that reinforce that feeling, regardless of what the evidence or facts say. This is what flat earthers do. It's not skepticism, it's literally the opposite of skepticism.

Last edited:

Excess

I think it's important to distinguish between skepticism and conspiracy derp, because they aren't the same thing.

A skeptic asks to be convinced with an open mind and believes what the balance of evidence suggests.

This is NOT what is happening with American conspiracy culture, which is where someone selects a conclusion that they believe emotionally and the seeks out information or peer groups that reinforce that feeling, regardless of what the evidence or facts say. This is what flat earthers do. It's not skepticism, it's literally the opposite of skepticism.
I anticipated this response.

In any debate, there will be extremes; that's a given. This doesn't, however, discount the fact that I'd rather have a conspiracy theorist in my corner, rather than a brain-washed citizen from a totalitarian government where authority is never questioned.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
The semiconductor shortage is being caused by drought conditions where the plants are. Not COVID in mainland China.

Point taken as to that specifically, but if Chinese lockdowns return, supply chains for lots of things will be disrupted again.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, a new vaccine that provides sterilising immunity against the entire virus structure (instead of just the protein and it being leaky) would be so much better.

I believe the two Chinese vaccines in circulation used killed viral particles. The initial buzz was that they weren't very effective in the real world, but I would be interested in seeing how they are holding up against Delta.

SF Kosmo

I believe the two Chinese vaccines in circulation used killed viral particles. The initial buzz was that they weren't very effective in the real world, but I would be interested in seeing how they are holding up against Delta.
Extremely poorly if what's happening in Chile is any indication. SinoVac is a joke.

SF Kosmo

In any debate, there will be extremes; that's a given. This doesn't, however, discount the fact that I'd rather have a conspiracy theorist in my corner, rather than a brain-washed citizen from a totalitarian government where authority is never questioned.
If the only opinions you're considering are between a dictator and a conspiracy grifter, you fucked up somewhere.

Skepticism is hard. It requires critical thinking skills, education, and subject matter expertise above and beyond the reach of most people, and honestly for those people, "blindly" accepting the consensus of the scientific community is surely better than trying to appoint yourself a scientist and figure it out yourself.

Read up on the Dunning Kruger effect. The least qualified among us are the most likely to overrate their expertise because they lack the understanding to even recognize their own mistakes, and therefore think they don't make any.

Experts are wrong sometimes, but that doesn't validate the uneducated or opportunistic grifters making shit up. The question a skeptic asks is "Which experts are right," not "are experts right or YouTubers right?" That's not how it works.

Consider this: If your mother needed life saving surgery, a reasonable skeptic might consult a few doctors and then pick the most qualified. But you wouldn't watch a bunch of YouTube videos and attempt the surgery yourself. Because you know you're not qualified. All these self appointed vaccine skeptics are more the latter, just overriding expertise with emotion and unqualified horseshit.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Extremely poorly if what's happening in Chile is any indication. SinoVac is a joke.

Delta is just now spreading in Chile it appears, so we shall see! In terms of cumulative deaths per million population, though, they are right up there with the US and UK.

RAÏSanÏa

Our cultures have areas of overlap on some of these. It seldom gets to that extreme reduction of the opposing viewpoint.

There's a current uprising questioning authority in a province in my nation.

This is from an Albertan posted on reddit comparing the pandemic response of my province to theirs

295ymayxpyf71.png

This is the latest national response from

British Columbia will continue to welcome travellers from Alberta, as long as they abide by the province's stronger COVID-19 restrictions. The Okanagan region is experiencing surging cases; restrictions in the area are being increased and travellers to that area are being urged to reschedule.

"We're happy to have you come, fully vaccinated. And when you're here, we're expecting that everybody continues to take the measures that we're taking in British Columbia," B.C.'s CMOH said in a press conference.

This tells me as that those in BC can be confident the pros pretty much know where the virus came from, have a decent lid on it, and are keeping control on public health measures. Broadcast with kindness and law don't fuck around and get fully vaccinated.

If the US goes back into lockdown, antivaxxers spreading bullshit on social media deserve a swift kick to the balls. Repeatedly.

These takes are especially great coming from you considering your posting history a year ago. You called governors tyrants/emperors, stated masks were all part of political theatre and called people "sheeple" for wearing them, pushed for hydro as a treatment amongst other things. Furthermore a lot of the tweets you linked have been deleted/taken down because I straight up remember you posting "I don't know anyone who has covid so it doesn't exist" nonsense.

There's a bunch of them. Maybe you should be assaulted and thrown in jail for your part in spreading misinformation since you think this is an acceptable way of dealing with people. Or maybe you could stop acting like a lunatic who pivots from extremist narrative to extremist narrative.

FunkMiller

Skeptical? Rejection of authority and control? 🤣 You’re the most religious developed country in the world! 🤣 You’re the least skeptical and most credulous about things that have no evidence behind them of any of us!

You have no idea how silly you sound to people outside the US when you come out with stuff like this.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
These takes are especially great coming from you considering your posting history a year ago. You called governors tyrants/emperors, stated masks were all part of political theatre and called people "sheeple" for wearing them, pushed for hydro as a treatment amongst other things. Furthermore a lot of the tweets you linked have been deleted/taken down because I straight up remember you posting "I don't know anyone who has covid so it doesn't exist" nonsense.

There's a bunch of them. Maybe you should be assaulted and thrown in jail for your part in spreading misinformation since you think this is an acceptable way of dealing with people. Or maybe you could stop acting like a lunatic who pivots from extremist narrative to extremist narrative.

I think the clear throughline is that he's pissed that we can't just get back to normal and has been betrayed each time a return to normalcy has been hinted at. I share his frustration and desire to return to normal or something like it, but we just disagree on what it will take to get us there.

Skeptical? Rejection of authority and control? 🤣 You’re the most religious developed country in the world! 🤣

Most of the country who are religious are Protestant...

Last edited by a moderator:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I think the clear throughline is that he's pissed that we can't just get back to normal and has been betrayed each time a return to normalcy has been hinted at. I share his frustration and desire to return to normal or something like it, but we just disagree on what it will take to get us there.

Nah we need to derail this thread with personal attacks and try to get a cancel mob going. Get with the program.

FunkMiller

Most of the country who are religious are Protestant...

The denomination is entirely immaterial. America is a deeply credulous and non-skeptical country, as proven by its high levels of religiosity. It’s farcical to anyone outside it to suggest otherwise.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Nah we need to derail this thread with personal attacks and try to get a cancel mob going. Get with the program.

To be fair, you were calling for physical violence against people who disagree with you about these vaccines (I assume you were just joking, but it's hard to tell online these days). I think we could all do with a bit less trying to tear each other apart for not conforming to each other's views and if we do want to blame someone, turn our attention to those who are enacting the policies that are directly harming us.

The denomination is entirely immaterial. America is a deeply credulous and non-skeptical country, as proven by its high levels of religiosity. It’s farcical to anyone outside it to suggest otherwise.

I would argue that the denomination is very important in a discussion about the rejection of authority and control... I also completely disagree with your assessment of America.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom