• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

I was reacting to the very understandable anger that the poor guy felt that his wife wasn’t getting the life saving treatment she needs directly due to anti-vaxxers.

If only you gave a shit as much about his life and hers - and many people like it - as you do your anti-vax friends (I assume they’re your friends given how much you defend them).
I defend them only in the sense that I don’t think they should die or that anyone should have weird fantasies about pulling the plugs on their ventilators like some sort of freak. But you do you.

I defend them only in the sense that I don’t think they should die or that anyone should have weird fantasies about pulling the plugs on their ventilators like some sort of freak. But you do you.
Especially since even before covid, people had to sometimes wait months for elective procedures. Telling fat people/smokers/alcoholics to die would've reduced that time significantly.

FunkMiller

I’d love to see how much that milk of human kindness would continue to flow if it was your loved one being prevented from life saving medicine due to an anti-vaxxer. That was the point I was making. I don’t feel that way towards the arseholes in general, but in that specific case? Absolutely. I can’t imagine how that guy feels.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Isn't being fat equivalent to willfully ignoring science about how bad it is for you to be fat?

No one is telling fat people to lose weight because them being fat is overwhelming hospitals at a time of acute crisis. That’s the difference here.

And you know it is, but your position is entrenched.

Jaysen

Banned
It’s certainly willfully ignoring science.
And endangering their own life. When’s the last time hospitals got shut down to new patients because of fat people not being able to say no to an extra slice of pie? When’s the last time hospitals had to turn their parking decks into makeshift morgues because there were too many fat people in the actual morgue?

You heard it here first, being fat is the same as willfully ignoring science and spreading a deadly disease. And people wonder why others mock their ideas. Jesus Christ.

Given your general demeanor and responses to others, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if you turned out to be a fat guy who hides behind his computer calling people names. You certainly seem to take offense to people pointing out that being overweight is unhealthy, you being a willful fat guy who refuses to lose weight or makes excuses ("muh metabolism" "muh genetics") wouldn't come as a shock
And endangering their own life. When’s the last time hospitals got shut down to new patients because of fat people not being able to say no to an extra slice of pie? When’s the last time hospitals had to turn their parking decks into makeshift morgues because there were too many fat people in the actual morgue?

Literally right now.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/08/cov...le-hospitalized-were-overweight-or-obese.html

Maybe if they weren't overweight the hospitals wouldn't be overrun.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

I’ll say it once more (though I’m sure you’ll ignore it again just so you can make a fatuous point):

We have been told countless times that getting vaccinated against covid prevents hospitals being overwhelmed.

Anti-vaxxers are ignoring this, and are directly putting other‘s lives at risk because of it.

In all the other examples you cite, none of this is the case. Fat people, smokers and drinkers do not cause the medical system to be overwhelmed to the point that that guy’s wife can’t get life saving treatment.

Why do you think everyone that hasn't had the vaccine is an "anti-vaxxer"? Do you know how stupid that makes you sound? There are countless reasons that are way ahead of "anti-vaxxers" as to why people have not got it..

And how are "anti-vaxxers' putting people's lives at risk? The delta variant is the dominant strain and there is little to no difference in the infection rate between vaccinated and unvaccinated. They're putting their own lives at risk and that is their choice, whatever their reasoning. People do that every day. Do you think we shouldn't treat someone that goes to a fish restaurant, in case they swallow a bone? Shall we not treat scuba divers if they get into trouble and get the bends? Shall we not treat a parachutist who's jump went wrong? What about all those millions of people that selfishly get in a car every day? There's more chance of them ending up in hospital than with covid. Fuck them too?

When the dust settles on this people are not going to be able to hide from the public exhibition of who they became when this went down; The conspiracy nuts, the cowards, the uncompassionate, the selfless, the selfish, the heroes, the brave, the willfully ignorant, those that just got on with life.... and the brown shirts...

I wonder how many will be honest with themselves as to who they became when the shit went down... And lets be honest, it was the tamest shit that ever did go down.

Jaysen

Banned
Given your general demeanor and responses to others, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if you turned out to be a fat guy who hides behind his computer calling people names. You certainly seem to take offense to people pointing out that being overweight is unhealthy, you being a willful fat guy who refuses to lose weight or makes excuses ("muh metabolism" "muh genetics") wouldn't come as a shock.
“Oh no he called someone willfully endangering the lives of others a name! Whatever shall I do! Muh feelings are hurt!”

No one is telling fat people to lose weight because them being fat is overwhelming hospitals at a time of acute crisis. That’s the difference here.

And you know it is, but your position is entrenched.
The entirely healthcare system had to be built to accommodate fat people. Fat people are disproportionately effected negatively by covid. Being fat and the consequences of being fat are directly linked to the stress covid is putting on the healthcare system. Being fat is directly link to cancer, diabetes, heart disease, vascular disease, and a range of other health consequences that have stressed the healthcare system long predating covid. The idea that we get draw some kind of distinction between which avoidable health consequences we blame people for having and which we don’t is sophistry.

You’re just upset because it’s a perfectly acceptable comparison and there’s really nothing you can do to refute it.

Again, even before covid it was quite normal to wait months for an elective procedure. People being fat and stressed (which leads to drug abuse) is one of the big reasons why healthcare is getting more expensive after all (the other reason being more old people).

Jaysen

Banned
The entirely healthcare system had to be built to accommodate fat people. Fat people are disproportionately effected negatively by covid. Being fat and the consequences of being fat are directly linked to the stress covid is putting on the healthcare system. Being fat is directly link to cancer, diabetes, heart disease, vascular disease, and a range of other health consequences that have stressed the healthcare system long predating covid. The idea that we get draw some kind of distinction between which avoidable health consequences we blame people for having and which we don’t is sophistry.

You’re just upset because it’s a perfectly acceptable comparison and there’s really nothing you can do to refute it.
Except it’s easy to refute. It’s easily one of the stupidest analogies anyone has ever uttered. Like mind numbingly stupid. Be honest, which Facebook conspiracy theorist put it forward?

Jaysen

Banned
Again, even before covid it was quite normal to wait months for an elective procedure. People being fat and stressed (which leads to drug abuse) is one of the big reasons why healthcare is getting more expensive after all (the other reason being more old people).
So, never then.

FunkMiller

Why do you think everyone that hasn't had the vaccine is an "anti-vaxxer"? Do you know how stupid that makes you sound? There are countless reasons that are way ahead of "anti-vaxxers" as to why people have not got it..

I was directly referencing the video of the guy talking about anti-vaxxers.

Do you know how stupid it makes you sound when it’s clear you didn’t read or understand what my post was about?

FunkMiller

Fat people aren’t overwhelming the medical system. They never have. Anti-vaxxers are during this pandemic, to the point where people aren’t getting the important help they need. It’s not an acceptable comparison simply because of that.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
Fat people aren’t overwhelming the medical system. They never have. Anti-vaxxers are during this pandemic, to the point where people aren’t getting the important help they need. It’s not an acceptable comparison simply because of that.
To him a fat person delaying an elective surgery a few weeks is the same as covid patients overwhelming the health system to the point that ALL ICU beds in an entire state are occupied, which results in people dying because they lose all access to urgent care. Again, one of the absolute dumbest analogies ever.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
To him a fat person delaying an elective surgery a few weeks is the same as covid patients overwhelming the health system to the point that ALL ICU beds in an entire state are occupied, which results in people dying because they lose all access to urgent care. Again, one of the absolute dumbest analogies ever.
And also, there is no shot that prevents diabetes and heart disease. It's not that weird that health care providers are advocating for common sense preventative measures. They also advocate for preventative measures with diabetes and weight gain, and tell people to exercise and eat well on pretty much any normal physical. If there was a shot to prevent diabetes, they'd probably be recommending that as well.

Chronic care conditions are not the same thing as preventable acute care conditions. Preventing weight gain and diabetes is a matter of education on food consumption and lifestyle balance, since everyone has to eat. It's part of normal life that is not managed well. It's not the same thing as a virus with an available, free, highly effective vaccine.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie

pro tip brother if you want people to take your talking points seriously, don't make people go through a posobiec tweet linking a Paul Joseph Watson article where you might be able to find the primary sources somewhere in between his pepe memes and the obnoxious adverts

MilkyJoe

I was directly referencing the video of the guy talking about anti-vaxxers.

Do you know how stupid it makes you sound when it’s clear you didn’t read or understand what my post was about?

Judging by your tone I'm just assume you're one of those people that calls everyone an anti-vaxxer that disagrees with the status quo, regardless of their vaccine status.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Yes, that would definitely explain why the worst covid spots in the US are in the Deep South, an area known for its high intelligence.

That makes no sense.

1.68 percent of Americans have PhDs. What you're suggesting would have almost no effect on how the virus ebbs and flows through a population of 330 million.

betrayal

Banned
I’d love to see how much that milk of human kindness would continue to flow if it was your loved one being prevented from life saving medicine due to an anti-vaxxer. That was the point I was making. I don’t feel that way towards the arseholes in general, but in that specific case? Absolutely. I can’t imagine how that guy feels.

I am in favor of vaccination (it seems that you have to mention this here in order to be taken seriously).

But what I generally find a bit annoying is that there is little differentiation and people, who don't immediately break down or change their mind when they hear a not so pleasant and certainly sometimes avoidable anecdote from the Internet, are not be taken seriously or will be considered stupid.

Alcohol: 3 million
Tobacco: 8 million
Poor nutrition: 11 million
Lack of physical activity: 6 million

These are the annual death figures for the respective causes. Worldwide about 60 million people in total die each year. These mentioned 100% preventable causes, in contrast to COVID-19, account for almost half of all yearly deaths worldwide. Of course, there are several million more preventable deaths.
None of you ever gave a single shit about these people, even though tens of thousands of them die every single day but here suddenly everyone becomes a compassionate nobleman.

It is very clear to me that you cannot directly compare the avoidable causes of death mentioned with COVID-19. But it shows very well how many selfish people suddenly become "compassionate" as soon as it affects their own lives or as soon as they feel can somehow morally superior without having to do anything for it. This is not meant to be an excuse for anti-vaxxers, because there are indeed a lot of idiots. But just because there are a lot of idiots doesn't mean that everyone is one when they don't agree with you.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
pro tip brother if you want people to take your talking points seriously, don't make people go through a posobiec tweet linking a Paul Joseph Watson article where you might be able to find the primary sources somewhere in between his pepe memes and the obnoxious adverts

The source was from Carnegie Melon and University of Pittsburgh. In other words...

we-do-not-attack-the-person-we-attack-their-argument-43532627.png

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I am in favor of vaccination (it seems that you have to mention this here in order to be taken seriously).

But what I generally find a bit annoying is that there is little differentiation and people, who don't immediately break down or change their mind when they hear a not so pleasant and certainly sometimes avoidable anecdote from the Internet, are not be taken seriously or will be considered stupid.

Alcohol: 3 million
Tobacco: 8 million
Poor nutrition: 11 million
Lack of physical activity: 6 million

These are the annual death figures for the respective causes. Worldwide about 60 million people in total die each year. These mentioned 100% preventable causes, in contrast to COVID-19, account for almost half of all yearly deaths worldwide. Of course, there are several million more preventable deaths.
None of you ever gave a single shit about these people, even though tens of thousands of them die every single day but here suddenly everyone becomes a compassionate nobleman.

It is very clear to me that you cannot directly compare the avoidable causes of death mentioned with COVID-19. But it shows very well how many selfish people suddenly become "compassionate" as soon as it affects their own lives or as soon as they feel can somehow morally superior without having to do anything for it. This is not meant to be an excuse for anti-vaxxers, because there are indeed a lot of idiots. But just because there are a lot of idiots doesn't mean that everyone is one when they don't agree with you.

This.

I've learned in life to trust people less the more they say "You can trust me."

I'm starting to learn to apply the same to people who say "Don't you care about this massive population of people like me?"

Everyone loves themselves. Most love their friends and family. Sheisters care for groups of people. Anything more than "Don't be a dick to strangers" sets the BS detector off.

And how are "anti-vaxxers' putting people's lives at risk? The delta variant is the dominant strain and there is little to no difference in the infection rate between vaccinated and unvaccinated. They're putting their own lives at risk and that is their choice, whatever their reasoning. People do that every day. Do you think we shouldn't treat someone that goes to a fish restaurant, in case they swallow a bone? Shall we not treat scuba divers if they get into trouble and get the bends? Shall we not treat a parachutist who's jump went wrong? What about all those millions of people that selfishly get in a car every day? There's more chance of them ending up in hospital than with covid. Fuck them too?
Oh we’re still pretending that the vaccinated spread covid just as much as the unvaccinated even though it is significantly less? And that car accidents are contagious and filling hospitals?

Jaysen

Banned
Oh we’re still pretending that the vaccinated spread covid just as much as the unvaccinated even though it is significantly less? And that car accidents are contagious and filling hospitals?
Don’t forget all the fat people forcing hospitals to turn their parking lots into makeshift morgues.

MilkyJoe

Wake up, Susan, the game has changed

The delta variant has wrecked any chance of herd immunity, a panel of experts including the head of the Oxford vaccine team said as they called for an end to mass testing so Britain can start to live with Covid.

Scientists said it was time to accept that there was no way of stopping the virus spreading through the entire population, and monitoring people with mild symptoms was no longer helpful.

Prof Andrew Pollard, who led the Oxford vaccine team, said it was clear that the delta variant could infect people who had been vaccinated, which made herd immunity impossible to reach even with high vaccine uptake.

Jump to conten

Fully vaccinated and unvaccinated ‘can both transmit Covid’​

Public Health England findings on similar viral loads spark fears that jabs will not suppress spread as much as hoped

People who are fully vaccinated have a similar viral load to the unvaccinated, suggesting both can transmit Covid.
New analysis by Public Health England (PHE) found little difference in how much virus was present in people who had been jabbed, leading to fears that the vaccines will not suppress spread as much as hoped.
Scientists believed the jabs would prevent transmission as well as protecting people against the disease by lowering viral replication.
Minutes of a Sage meeting from July 22, published on Friday, also show growing concern among government scientists that the delta variant causes a higher viral load than the alpha strain, even after vaccination.

smug american psycho GIF

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
The source was from Carnegie Melon and University of Pittsburgh. In other words...

we-do-not-attack-the-person-we-attack-their-argument-43532627.png

yeah I'm trying to help you mask your bad faith talking points 👍

it's hard to take you in good faith when like minded folks who parade talking points like this also lambast higher education

smug american psycho GIF
Completely irrelevant to what I said. Whether you catch covid or not, you are significantly less likely to spread it due to viral loads dropping significantly faster.

Even if you aren’t worried about being hospitalized, you are still a selfish coward if you don’t want to be vaccinated because you are far more likely to spread it.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
yeah I'm trying to help you mask your bad faith talking points 👍

it's hard to take you in good faith when like minded folks who parade talking points like this also lambast higher education

Tribalism.jpeg

The others do bad faith! We don't do bad faith!

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Don’t forget all the fat people forcing hospitals to turn their parking lots into makeshift morgues.
Looking at that tweet was haunting. The Texas ones were way nicer. Even if that was the worst and best of both, nasty situation only made slightly better with resources.

That parking garage looked like it was put together by people exhausted and despaired and it showed. That was Mississippi?

edit: misunderstood. thought covid center, not morgue. Although, that parking garage looked like a morgue.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned

smug american psycho GIF
Now post your proof that the vaccinated spread Covid at the same rate as the unvaccinated.

MilkyJoe

Completely irrelevant to what I said. Whether you catch covid or not, you are significantly less likely to spread it due to viral loads dropping significantly faster.

Even if you aren’t worried about being hospitalized, you are still a selfish coward if you don’t want to be vaccinated because you are far more likely to spread it.

Fully vaccinated and unvaccinated ‘can both transmit Covid’​

Public Health England findings on similar viral loads spark fears that jabs will not suppress spread as much as hoped. People who are fully vaccinated have a similar viral load to the unvaccinated,

Last edited:

thefool

Given your general demeanor and responses to others, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if you turned out to be a fat guy who hides behind his computer calling people names. You certainly seem to take offense to people pointing out that being overweight is unhealthy, you being a willful fat guy who refuses to lose weight or makes excuses ("muh metabolism" "muh genetics") wouldn't come as a shock

Literally right now.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/08/cov...le-hospitalized-were-overweight-or-obese.html

Maybe if they weren't overweight the hospitals wouldn't be overrun.

plus-size-women-cosmopolitan-cover-obesity-negative-people-reactions-1-5ff5a76c47a9b__700.jpg

FunkMiller

Judging by your tone I'm just assume you're one of those people that calls everyone an anti-vaxxer that disagrees with the status quo, regardless of their vaccine status.

Well, you keep making those assumptions, and not bothering to read other people's posts properly, champ.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Won't someone think of the children? Emotions vs comprehensive data.

Bari Weiss and Katie Herzog just released a podcast that paints the future of western (woke) healthcare as pretty dystopian. Disagreement and criticism is being vilified in places it absolutely should not be.

Last edited:
Top Bottom