• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 2 |OT| of Orbs, Freaks, and Exploding Pedestrians

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
3rdman said:
Here's a suggestion...NEVER PRE-ORDER A GAME FROM GAMESTOP AGAIN! Why would you let someone else hold on to your money and collect interest on it while you are getting nothing in return? Go there, get your money back and go buy it elsewhere...
Fixed. I have no idea why people don't just pre-order from Amazon. No tax, free shipping, $10 off MSRP plus a $10 voucher, pre-order skins and they got my game to me at 9:00 A.M this morning.

Hugbot

SapientWolf said:
Fixed. I have no idea why people don't just pre-order from Amazon. No tax, free shipping, $10 off MSRP plus a $10 voucher, pre-order skins and they got my game to me at 9:00 A.M this morning.
And they don't charge until they ship, neatly avoiding his problem with the system.

All I need to know is if all the powers from the first game are still in? As long as I can still jump from one skyscraper to another, I'm good. I mean jump, not jetpack.

JdFoX187

Banned
3rdman said:
Here's a suggestion...NEVER PRE-ORDER A GAME AGAIN! Why would you let someone else hold on to your money and collect interest on it while you are getting nothing in return? Go there, get your money back and go buy it elsewhere...
...why thank you for your insight, it's truly earth shattering. I pre-ordered the game when Gamestop still had the 25 percent off all orders. I wasn't charged until last Friday, so it's not like they're earning interest off my preorder. Jesus Christ, some people on here can't help but jump on the nearest soap box they can.

Mairu

All the powers from the first game are in. The only difference is that at the peak of powers you get an extra-power

GhaleonEB

Thanks for the answers. I find that acceptable. Scrounging for new weapons was delightful in the first game.

I'll stop asking random questions now and just post my thoughts on it later tonight after a good romp.

First thing I'm doing: swimming to a new island hunting for better guns. On the hard difficulty setting. I do not expect it to end well.

Mairu said:
All the powers from the first game are in. The only difference is that at the peak of powers you get an extra-power

Thank you. I was concerned because their new outfits made me think that perhaps they substituted powers for equipment. Super powers was the whole reason I loved the first game. Guess I'll have to pick this up after I finish RDR.

GhaleonEB said:
Thanks for the answers. I find that acceptable. Scrounging for new weapons was delightful in the first game.

I'll stop asking random questions now and just post my thoughts on it later tonight after a good romp.

First thing I'm doing: swimming to a new island hunting for better guns. On the hard difficulty setting. I do not expect it to end well.

:lol

I figured I'd stroll across a bridge to Olde Shai Gen.

I was evaporated literally the second I set foot on the island. And I was Level 3.

Mairu

The preorder outfits are just different color skins. Even the outfits in the game are the same except for a color. You choose your face but you never see it in the game since you've always got a helmet on.

desertdroog

At work, currently, waiting to pick up my pre-order. So this game still has the pyramid tier of enemies in gangs? Meaning you can take out the low level Lieutenants to soften up the Corporals and then Generals/leaders? More of the same with 3 buddies sounds great in my book.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
desertdroog said:
At work, currently, waiting to pick up my pre-order. So this game still has the pyramid tier of enemies in gangs? Meaning you can take out the low level Lieutenants to soften up the Corporals and then Generals/leaders? More of the same with 3 buddies sounds great in my book.

There is no system like this. The goal of the game is not to take out gangs.

Aptos

Has anyone encountered the bug where you lose control of your avatar after you pause to look at the menu? It's really annoying.

Why For?

Banned
Got this yesterday.

Fucking amazing. Everything I hoped for, and the reviewers have no idea. I'm enjoying this MORE than the first.

I don't understand the complaints. This game offers MORE new features than most big names sequels (Halo, Gears, Metal Gear, GT, FF, Zelda etc) and yet the complaint is that it's too much like the first?

So is almost EVERY sequel.

This game is amazing. I love how much they streamlined everything. No more running back ALL the way to the Agency to get a new car, and I actually enjoy the removal of the boss system.

Game is all I hoped for. Ruffian are geniuses to be able to pull this off in 8 months off a broken engine.

Can't weait to see what they can do with a brand new engine and some decent dev time on the third game.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
SapientWolf said:

Pretty much. I've gone Amazon exclusive for gaming and I love it. Release Day Delivery (Prime for the FUCKING WIN), no sales tax (that's saying a lot since I'm in California where you get taxed just for jerking off), regular pre-release discounts, pre-order bonuses and $10-20 credit towards my next game purchase.

So. fucking. good.

soldat7

21bt8ww.gif

Kept the game even after the negative reviews. There's nothing I want for the next couple of months, so why not? It's Crackdown. I hate the graphics - they're more dull or something compared to the first one. And the "voice" of the company just
won't
shut
the
fuck
up!
The asshole is just constantly talking and it's very, very annoying.

Anyway, it's Crackdown with a new skin, for better or worse.

Mindlog

^^ Blasphemy!

Domino Theory said:
The soundtrack is missing one crucial, Crackdown staple: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_fgpfKiZT8

Best theme song for any video game, ever.

Indeed an excellent song.

I was going to put off purchasing this game and wait for the gold edition. The DLC already prepared, a short dev cycle and full retail price really turned me off of an early purchase.

Then Dell offered it for $40 so I said wth. Dell is slow as crap compared to Amazon :lol

goldenpp72

I bought this on amazon as a pre order, do I not get the code for the skins? I got a 10 dollar promo code and the agency helicopter in my copy but nothing else.

MrDaravon

goldenpp72 said:
I bought this on amazon as a pre order, do I not get the code for the skins? I got a 10 dollar promo code and the agency helicopter in my copy but nothing else.

For pre-order codes Amazon usually emails them to you within 1-2 days.

goldenpp72

SailorDaravon said:
For pre-order codes Amazon usually emails them to you within 1-2 days.

I just ordered it maybe a week ago though, did I miss the promotion? And can I change my agents color after I start or is it stuck forever.

About to start now :)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
BigNastyCurve said:
Kept the game even after the negative reviews. There's nothing I want for the next couple of months, so why not? It's Crackdown. I hate the graphics - they're more dull or something compared to the first one. And the "voice" of the company just
won't
shut
the
fuck
up!
The asshole is just constantly talking and it's very, very annoying.

Anyway, it's Crackdown with a new skin, for better or worse.
You can turn him off in the options. People said they loved him in the first one so I guess they went overboard this time.

C Jones

SapientWolf said:
Do you have to be a Prime member to get games shipped to you on release day? Is it only offered for certain titles?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Impressions so far:

My suspicions were right and it's an entirely satisfying sequel. Ruffian did absolutely the best they could in the time frame they had to work with, and the city DOES seem different in structure when you get to the fine details of navigation and climbing.

Everything feels more solid than Crackdown and the Agent feels less squirrely, just tightened up. Catching ledges when jumping is also a little bit smoother.

I like the new mission structure; I feel it's a fair balance between Crackdown's totally free but kludgy system and a controlled, scripted mission method. Ironically, people seem to have short memories; there's a LOT more story - for crissakes, Crackdown 1 truly barely had any story at all. I wonder how many reviewers bothered to collect any of the audio logs at all?

There's a fair story to be pieced together here, that's all I can say. The emphasis rightly remains on Crackdown being a pure arcade sandbox romp where you blow things the hell up.

For some reason, I like Cell better than the gangs in terms of being a unified entity that seems as if it's laying siege to the city. The gangs were rather meh for me in Crackdown 1 and just served as something to shoot.

The Freaks are good IMHO in the open and in huge mobs; mowing them down with cars is great. I like the underground sections in principle and believe they add a variety Crackdown could use, though Crackdown's control resolution and aiming system make fighting Freaks in their lairs just slightly more clunky than it should be.

Feeling so far is that it's as justifiable a sequel (if not more so) than half of what comes out these days and improved co-op is amazing. The competitive is a bit bland and I agree on that; more work could have gone into that, though I figure given Crackdown's history of DLC enhancements much expansion could still be made with new game modes.

JdFoX187 said:
Gamestop has my order on "backorder" despite having ordered it back in fucking March. Anyone else running into this?

I have the same issue with BestBuy.com. I ordered it from them only because I had like $50 in Best Buy gift cards. Otherwise I would have ordered it from Amazon.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
C Jones said:
Do you have to be a Prime member to get games shipped to you on release day? Is it only offered for certain titles?
Yeah, maybe that's why. I've been prime for awhile. It's definitely worth it.

I'm half tempted to go out and buy a 360 again just for this. Crackdown 1 is one of the best experiences I had this generation. So if it's just like the first one like all the reviews say- I'm game!

Kusagari

C Jones said:

I think it's 2 or 3 bucks with release date shipping if you're not a prime member. With Amazon's usual discounts that's still going to end up less than at Gamestop.

Bebpo

Banned
Any way to change target while locked on? When there's a guy standing next to an explodable barrel it always locks onto the guy and the stick just changes body part focus.

C Jones

Kusagari said:
I think it's 2 or 3 bucks with release date shipping if you're not a prime member. With Amazon's usual discounts that's still going to end up less than at Gamestop.
Thanks for the info, as I didn't know you can pay a little extra for release day shipping if you aren't a Prime member. I'll have to consider this for future releases.

Dell seems to have shipped my order. I still think that I will finish Red Dead before starting this though.

GDJustin

Bebpo said:
Any way to change target while locked on? When there's a guy standing next to an explodable barrel it always locks onto the guy and the stick just changes body part focus.

Just don't over rely on lock on. Manually target that barrel like a true boss.

soldat7

Oooh...knock at the door. Finally.

Edit: False alarm. I had the day off and everything (not for Crackdown though.) :lol

goldenpp72

I've been playing this a bit now.. what the fuck is the problem with people? This game is BADASS so far, the amount of objectives in the first hour is already more varied than the entirety of the first game, the graphics look nicer and more colorful, and I honestly can't tell this is the same city as the first game. The addition of freaks is pretty cool as well.

I will admit the aiming lock on is a bit off still though, but so far this is a very worthy addition to the series :/

Mrbob

Hope the new game smell continues. You guys are starting to get my hopes up again. My copy is sitting at home waiting to be put into my 360.

goldenpp72

Mrbob said:
Hope the new game smell continues. You guys are starting to get my hopes up again. My copy is sitting at home waiting to be put into my 360.

I had just been playing crackdown 1 a bit before this, and honestly it feels a lot more different than I expected, outside of the look it feels a bit tighter and the tone is different and pretty cool. I was also really happy to hear MUSIC occur at some points in the game outside of driving, unless the game falls apart I can see this being a real blast in comparison to the first.

I haven't paid full price for a game this year outside of mass effect 2 and this, and so far I haven't regretted it, it's a BETTER game than the first and has quite a bit of improvements. Anyone who calls it a 'glorified patch' is an idiot.

*all statements made from the initial hour in*

I'm starting to think people hold crackdown 1 higher than it deserves, as awesome as it was, it lacked objectives and had a do this 30 times campaign, the campaign is more structured and interesting and the orbs are just as fun to get as ever :/ So far, ruffian gets a strong thumbs up from me on their work.

GDJustin

Goldenpp, I'm a defender of Crackdown 2 too, but you're going to repeat your first hour of missions over and over for the rest of the game :lol It's just as repetitive as the first.

Still digging it a lot, though.

goldenpp72

GDJustin said:
Goldenpp, I'm a defender of Crackdown 2 too, but you're going to repeat your first hour of missions over and over for the rest of the game :lol It's just as repetitive as the first.

Still digging it a lot, though.

Not at all, in crackdown 1 you have more or less these options.

Campaign: Eliminate boss leaders in whatever order, that's it.

Side stuff includes road races, rooftop races, etc.

Crackdown 2 campaign includes at least a few objective types making it a tad less repetitive and you can approach them as you prefer.

As well, the agency drop points are much cooler this time, being able to call vehicles from them is just awesome. Also, the weapons are better, I love the laser shotgun thing for the freaks.

So far CD2 feels like the cd1 formula with more variety and added functionality, I see nothing that is worse and plenty of things improved. I've been playing a few hours now and my opinion hasn't changed, it's a more varied game than crackdown so far, though I have not encountered a stunt ring yet, are they in this game?

The freaks are fun to kill I think, I don't get some peoples beef with them, it allows huge fights that make good use for some insanely overpowered weapons, the human combat is basically the same as the first, and having these enemies is quite a nice break.

Why For?

Banned
Ruffian have already said a patch will be out soon to address the targeting/lock-on system.

Actually seems a bit worse than it the first game to be honest.

Aside from that, everything else is better.

goldenpp72

Why For? said:
Ruffian have already said a patch will be out soon to address the targeting/lock-on system.

Actually seems a bit worse than it the first game to be honest.

Aside from that, everything else is better.

I think that was a day one patch which already happened.

It's a bit sketchy, locking on to I think a cover rather than an enemy was pretty annoying.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Dell shipped my copy earlier today. Just waiting on the UPS guy. If it's more of the same I'm excited, because I loved the first one.

Why For?

Banned
goldenpp72 said:
I think that was a day one patch which already happened.

It's a bit sketchy, locking on to I think a cover rather than an enemy was pretty annoying.

Really?

That's the 'fixed' targeting?

Yikes.

daycru

I'm really enjoying it. Those motherfuckers DOUBLED the Crackdown. Renegade orbs are infuriating though, especially the driving ones.

Top Bottom