• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 2 |OT| of Orbs, Freaks, and Exploding Pedestrians

Circle T

ShapeGSX said:
Is there a faster way to get to the helicopter?
Yea, that is how I do it as well. A friend of mine climbs the buildings right there by where you spawn at the Agency tower, and then he jumps over. I've tried that a few times, and for some reason I can't seem to make the jump, so I just don't even try that way any more. I've done it so many times the other way, running up the ramps and gliding over, that I can do it quick enough.

Also, as I was looking for some help with that stupid driving orb, I found this video. It at least eases my hatred a little, seeing that I'm not the only person who is totally struggling with this orb...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8-l-B9l4os

DrBo42 said:
Don't forget you can always briefly pop your wingsuit when jumping from that building to the chopper pad. As soon as you're over the apex of your jump, you can engage it. Then press it again and it acts as almost a 2nd mini jump.
Good call - I'll give that a shot. I still don't have the wingsuit figured out completely.

Circle T

Papercuts said:
God damn, the race on the agency tower was pretty brutal...finally did them all.
That one was a piece of cake for me. I was flying in a helicopter though, so that might be why. :D

ShapeGSX said:
I got to level 5 agility last night. What is the fastest way to get to the helicopter? I climbed the agency tower (up the 5 or so ramps) and then glided down to the pad. After 3 failed attempts, I figured out I had to fall down quite a ways to fly back up.

Is there a faster way to get to the helicopter?
Go in the main entrance of the agency, jump up on the ledge that you can jump up to no problem thats straight and to the left. Follow that ledge, pass two guards, and go all the way until you reach the side of a building. Jump up and there should be a window to grab onto (only with level 5 agility), then jump up to the top (should be 2 more jumps). From that roof, if you time it right, you can hit the helicopter pad with ease.

(Need agility level 5).

Note: To make this jump every time, at the apex (highest point) of your jump, double tap Y to go in and out of Wing Suit mode to gain an extra 5-6 feet of horizontal air.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Circle T said:
That one was a piece of cake for me. I was flying in a helicopter though, so that might be why. :D

:lol

Is that how people get such fast times on the leaderboard? I have max agility and a couple of the jumps still needed to be really precise.

Circle T

Major Williams said:
Can you explain/post a video?
I don't have a way to post a video, but it is pretty easy to explain.

You can do all of the rooftop races with a helicopter. Just hover it near the ground at the starting point, and it will pop up the "Press A To Race" option. Then, once you start you just haul ass in the chopper. Better yet, you only need to tip the rotors into the waypoints for them to be accepted. It isn't as simple as "Fly through the green light beam" to activate checkpoints, as you do need to get fairly close to the ground to activate them, but it is still very lenient. Now, as you'd expect, there are a few races that you just can't do this because of the narrow gaps that you have to navigate. But for many of the harder ones in Unity Heights and the one at the Agency Tower, the chopper works just great.

Hope that helps. I can't say if that is what people are doing to set real fast times or not. I don't think I was setting any crazy times while doing this, but it did make accomplishing some of the harder ones, obviously, much easier. Also of note, the game will NOT let you start road races with the chopper, so those are apparently locked to road cars. But, the rooftop races are free game, so get yourself a chopper, and beat some races :D
SapientWolf said:
That's cheating.
I like to think of it as ingenuity :lol

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Joined a game last night of someone who just started their game. I'm a pretty much maxed out agent, and the dude kept staring at all the things I was doing. He was trying to copy me but couldn't. I just followed him around and watched him :lol

Raide

Jtyettis said:
So this ping thing is just up on the dpad?

Yup. Tap it and close orbs, both green and blue, will flash up. It has a cooldown of a few seconds before you can use it again. Usually by the time you have got near to the orb, the ping is ready to use again.

see5harp

Circle T said:
I don't have a way to post a video, but it is pretty easy to explain.

You can do all of the rooftop races with a helicopter. Just hover it near the ground at the starting point, and it will pop up the "Press A To Race" option. Then, once you start you just haul ass in the chopper. Better yet, you only need to tip the rotors into the waypoints for them to be accepted. It isn't as simple as "Fly through the green light beam" to activate checkpoints, as you do need to get fairly close to the ground to activate them, but it is still very lenient. Now, as you'd expect, there are a few races that you just can't do this because of the narrow gaps that you have to navigate. But for many of the harder ones in Unity Heights and the one at the Agency Tower, the chopper works just great.

Hope that helps. I can't say if that is what people are doing to set real fast times or not. I don't think I was setting any crazy times while doing this, but it did make accomplishing some of the harder ones, obviously, much easier. Also of note, the game will NOT let you start road races with the chopper, so those are apparently locked to road cars. But, the rooftop races are free game, so get yourself a chopper, and beat some races :D

I like to think of it as ingenuity :lol

Chopper actually works well to find hidden orbs as well. Some of the hidden orbs in the smokestacks can be gotten by just flying next to the smokestack and the blades somehow make contact through the smokestack.

Circle T

see5harp said:
Chopper actually works well to find hidden orbs as well. Some of the hidden orbs in the smokestacks can be gotten by just flying next to the smokestack and the blades somehow make contact through the smokestack.
Yep. The game will allow you to collect hidden orbs with the chopper, but not agility orbs. So, many of the hidden ones way up on top of towers and in other precarious places are much easier with the chopper.

Also, when you are flying in the chopper, the radar zooms out a bit, and if you hit the afterburner it zooms out even further. Instead of seeing just a couple hundred feet on the map, when you go real fast in the chopper, it zooms out to show almost 2-3 blocks. While the map is zoomed out like that, if you ping the radar, you can see MUCH more of the map and many more orbs are seen. So, if you are hunting for the last few orbs on a particular island, just grab a chopper, and haul ass over the top of it while pinging the radar.

Flavius

AndyMoogle said:
Same. This is probably my goty so far, though I haven't played SMG2 yet.

Some folks are going to call you nuts for making that statement. I, however, am not one of them. ;)

I could absolutely fathom someone getting sufficient value from the title to the extent that they proclaimed it their GOTY, thus far.

goldenpp72

cd2 isn't my goty, however it's in my top 5 for sure. That top 5 includes mass effect 2, mario galaxy 2, bayonetta and crackdown 2..

And sega all star racing :)

GhaleonEB

CloakedPuppet said:
A week later and this is the only game I've been playing with my limited time. Love it.
And for all my bitching, I've put over 25 hours into it over the past week. I don't do that unlness I'm having a (mostly) good time.

Tonight: Find the last five Agility Orbs

RE: renegade orbs. I was excited about them in concept but hate them in execution. They're basically a more frustrating version of rooftop and road races. I ignore them unless I have opportunity for the easy snag. I get angry just thinking about that one at the top of the Agency tower.

JambiBum

GhaleonEB said:
And for all my bitching, I've put over 25 hours into it over the past week. I don't do that unlness I'm having a (mostly) good time.

RE: renegade orbs. I was excited about them in concept but hate them in execution. They're basically a more frustrating version of rooftop and road races. I ignore them unless I have opportunity for the easy snag. I get angry just thinking about that one at the top of the Agency tower.

The one at the top was surprisingly easy. I got it trapped around a corner and managed to snag it. Thought it was going to be a pain too.

Marvie_3

Banned
Anyone on wanna give me a hand with the last beacon? It's the one where the giant freaks run around the outside throwing shit at it.

GT is Marvie03

Edit: Nevermind. Finally got it.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm the same way. I flat out hate them now.

derFeef

goldenpp72 said:
I like the renegade orbs.. they are like little shits I have to put the smack down on, but they are frustrating :lol
I like the agility renegade orbs so far, but the driving orbs? Fuck me I´ll never try them again. There is too much shit in my way or the pathing is too tight for any vehicle. Nothankyou.

Spent ~20 minutes jumping to the top of the extended tower for the Jumping into the toilet achievement. SO SCARY up on top of the building jumping from each peg to the other. I then attempted to jump into the smokestack.... hit the lip of the smokestack and died.

Frustrated, I got into a helicopter, jumped out, landed on the top peg of the Agency tower, and jumped into the toilet. That took ~2 minutes total.

Kind of frustrated, but happy I only have to do it once.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I tried to get to the very top, but I couldn't make some of the last jumps even with lvl 5 agility. I managed to get close with some tricky jumping and use of the wing suit, but I couldn't get to the top. Any suggestions? While I know I can just take a chopper up there, it's the principal of the thing dammit!

RiccochetJ said:
I tried to get to the very top, but I couldn't make some of the last jumps even with lvl 5 agility. I managed to get close with some tricky jumping and use of the wing suit, but I couldn't get to the top. Any suggestions? While I know I can just take a chopper up there, it's the principal of the thing dammit!
So the hardest jumps are these:

- to get from the top of a concrete slab to another concrete slab (with yellow/orange under it), get a running start, and jump from the edge of the closest corner to the ledge you're jumping to, not the middle.

- on the pegs, to get from one to another far one, you have to get a 2 step running start. I usually start from 2/3 way from the edge I'm jumping, point my cursor at the edge I'm going to jump, and run and hold A as soon as I'm at the corner. You'll mess up a few times, but you'll get the hang of it.

Raxus

GhaleonEB said:

Renegades are not as bad as some of the final rooftop and road races (if you do the agency rooftop race legit like I did). Once you get used to them it becomes a game of cat and mouse. You have to be a step ahead of it to catch it. All the renegade driving orbs require the supercar which is sad considering I like the SUV, but it cannot catch orbs.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Major Williams said:
So the hardest jumps are these:

- to get from the top of a concrete slab to another concrete slab (with yellow/orange under it), get a running start, and jump from the edge of the closest corner to the ledge you're jumping to, not the middle.

- on the pegs, to get from one to another far one, you have to get a 2 step running start. I usually start from 2/3 way from the edge I'm jumping, point my cursor at the edge I'm going to jump, and run and hold A as soon as I'm at the corner. You'll mess up a few times, but you'll get the hang of it.

Ahh thank you! I'll give it a shot tonight. It was the pegs that were giving me the trouble. At one point I thought I had it and then actually fell pretty much all the way to the bottom of the tower. It was at that point I hopped into a chopper and mentally swore at the developers.

GhaleonEB

Raxus said:
Renegades are not as bad as some of the final rooftop and road races (if you do the agency rooftop race legit like I did). Once you get used to them it becomes a game of cat and mouse. You have to be a step ahead of it to catch it. All the renegade driving orbs require the supercar which is sad considering I like the SUV, but it cannot catch orbs.
I find that the more cluttered the environment, the more frustrated I get with them. Crackdown's controls really excel as long as you have some distance between you and your target and some terrain to build up momentum with, but not when those are lacking. Crackdown 2's environments are often more uneven due to all the destruction, and some areas are really lacking in large surface areas. For instance, the settlement/shack towns up in the hills by the fallen statue, where each building is really tiny and chunky. Chasing the orb around that area, where I couldn't keep up my momentum to save my life, drove me bonkers last night.

I managed to land on it from up on high while cruising around on the wing suit, though. I wanted to shout, Take that, ya sneaky bastard.

Gazunta

This is the best game ever.

I have a question though, how do you change your settings so your friends or anyone can join your sessions? A couple of friends of mine are playing but I can't join their game unless they send me an invite - but with some other people, I can just pull their name up on my friends list and press X to join their game. I have my game set to accept anyone, but I'll be damned if I remember how I did it.

Got all 500 Agilities, All rooftop races, road races, beacons.

Got all characteristics to 100 except for firearms, which is at about 85. Gonna use freaks to do so, then finish off the breaches, then go for stunt rings.

Fuck I love this game.

Circle T

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Got all characteristics to 100 except for firearms, which is at about 85. Gonna use freaks to do so, then finish off the breaches, then go for stunt rings.
If you want to get your Firearms up pretty quick, use a Chopper with the minigun on it, and then go do the Freak Breaches. Do the one in the North-West area of Unity Heights, on the circular island. Fly in with the chopper, hover it low enough to start the breach at first, but then once it is started, get some elevation to say out of range of their acid attacks. There will be a bunch of freaks coming out of the breach, but don't shoot them. Instead, fire on the huge freaks that come out of the ground nearby. Those guys give you a pretty decent amount of firearm skill, and they don't count toward closing the breach. So since they continuously respawn, you can just sit there and shoot the hell out of them and level up your firearm skill in no time.

Also, I finally grabbed that stupid ass Renegade Driving orb at the figure-8 track in Green Bay. I'm now never setting foot in a vehicle again in this game. The driving is just total shit, and I never want to do it again.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
goldenpp72 said:
Any tips on the rooftop race for the agency area? I have trouble at the top.

The very, very top? If you don't do the heli thing like mentioned above you need to jump to the middle raised platform, and then the raised out platform closest to the ground. Then jump to the taller one, to the tallest one which has the green checkpoint. From here it gets weird, you need to jump the other direction to get on top of the big pillar, then a crazy jump from there across to the next big pillar. From here you jump to the taller thin white one, NOT the shorter one. You need to grab the horizontal line on the taller one, and from there jump to the shorter white pillar. After this you just jump up in the same direction and keep going up. For the final jump, go back a little bit and get a headstart before you jump, since it doesn't have a vertical line to grab.

Hopefully you can make sense of what I just said, I'm assuming by top you mean the ending. I had to repeat it so damn much that it's engraved in my head.

goldenpp72

Papercuts said:
The very, very top? If you don't do the heli thing like mentioned above you need to jump to the middle raised platform, and then the raised out platform closest to the ground. Then jump to the taller one, to the tallest one which has the green checkpoint. From here it gets weird, you need to jump the other direction to get on top of the big pillar, then a crazy jump from there across to the next big pillar. From here you jump to the taller thin white one, NOT the shorter one. You need to grab the horizontal line on the taller one, and from there jump to the shorter white pillar. After this you just jump up in the same direction and keep going up. For the final jump, go back a little bit and get a headstart before you jump, since it doesn't have a vertical line to grab.

Hopefully you can make sense of what I just said, I'm assuming by top you mean the ending. I had to repeat it so damn much that it's engraved in my head.

Yeah I have infinite trouble reaching the top of the game, lol.

soldat7

ckohler said:
I haven't read much of this thread but I've been hearing a lot of negative things about this game and frankly, I'm perplexed. It's great! Every bit as fun (if not more) than the original. The additions of the wing suit, chopper, renegade/Live orbs, day/night cycle... so much good stuff. Do I have nit-picks? Sure but they are trifles compared to how much I love this game.

Here's 10 minutes of me and my friend playing and having a great time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRJRlWY7R38

So awesome. This is why I love Crackdown

yay! all audio logs and agility/hidden orbs found :) max out abilities too :D

but some of those damn renegade orbs, they can be really frustrating! same for the flying races...

Just got all 500 Agility Orbs. Considerably faster than the year it took me in Crackdown 1 to find all of them. Thanks to the radar ping (and the trick to increase its radius) I think I'm even going for the Hidden Orbs this time as well. As for the rooftop races, and Wingsuit challenges, IDK about those, they are very frustrating. Will probably get all the Renegade Agility Orbs, and Renegade Driving Orbs as well.

Played about 25 hours so far. Every second has been fun.

PS, Ruffian: Get the DLC out quick, and have it be really good. I'm at the point right now where I'll buy just about anything to keep the fun going, and IDK if I'll feel like that in a couple of months when the huge titles start dropping.

GhaleonEB

GhaleonEB said:
And I didn't know about it until this post. Two hours and over 50 obs later, I'm at 212 and 495. :lol
One evening later, I'm at 278 and 499. It was...very hard to turn off the tv with only one more out there. :(

Xenon

GhaleonEB said:
I get angry just thinking about that one at the top of the Agency tower.

Wow thats just ice cold :lol I think I'll use my least favorite controller when I go for that one.

Mrbob

I dunno if you guys have PS3s, but you should check out Infamous if you have one. Game is awesome, especially if you like Crackdown. Not necessarily in the same vein but both involve characters who evolve into super hero beasts.

I read up on Infamous 2 with the GI feature and it sounds great. Ruffian grabbed the radar ping from Infamous, I hope they take some more cues from Infamous 2. Not just that it will have a new city, but you already start off as a super hero in Infamous 2. You need to get stronger, become a super super hero of sorts. Here is hoping with Crackdown 3 (#1 on UK chart has to be a good sign!) you can start with your agent maxed out at level 6 and go from there. I don't want to start over again.

Aaron

Mrbob said:
I dunno if you guys have PS3s, but you should check out Infamous if you have one. Game is awesome, especially if you like Crackdown. Not necessarily in the same vein but both involve characters who evolve into super hero beasts.
Tried the demo, and didn't care for it at all personally. It was too flat and too directed. Traversal wasn't nearly as fun, and the electric attacks paled compared to using real weapons. Also Cole's voice was annoying.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
GhaleonEB said:
One evening later, I'm at 278 and 499. It was...very hard to turn off the tv with only one more out there. :(
Snagged my last two agility ones yesterday, of course they turned out to be two 'level one' orbs sitting ontop of a 3 story building clear as day.:lol

Now onto the hiddens, 204/300 down! :D

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I wouldn’t exactly call using the helicopter for the agency tower rooftop race cheating. I’ve been “cheating” for 4 hours now and I still can’t finish this fucking race. Fuck the helicopter, fuck rooftop races and fuck this game.

Marvie_3

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
Just got all 500 Agility Orbs. Considerably faster than the year it took me in Crackdown 1 to find all of them.
I've been trying to find all 500 for almost 3 years. Stuck on 499 right now. I pop the game in every once in awhile just to run around and see if I can stumble across the last one by accident. :lol

Marvie_3 said:
I've been trying to find all 500 for almost 3 years. Stuck on 499 right now. I pop the game in every once in awhile just to run around and see if I can stumble across the last one by accident. :lol

If it wasn't for a friend of mine randomly getting the urge to play Crackdown, and me joining his campaign, I would've never gotten all 500. He actually found the one I needed, and me seeing it was like an angel from the Crackdown Gods. No way in hell was I going for the Hidden ones though, not without some sort of radar ping like CD2 has.

Top Bottom