• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 2 |OT| of Orbs, Freaks, and Exploding Pedestrians

Sucks that zooming in has been removed. My problem isn't about getting headshots at range, its more the fact that at long range I can't tell which weapons the enemies are carrying. So if I have my cell sniper file with the limited clip size, I can't prioritize targets. For instance, I'd like to snipe the rocket launcher, sniper rifle, and gatling gun wielding dudes first, and then assault the rest with my other weapons.

Seems like I can't do that anymore, which just makes solo psychotic that much harder, and makes me more vulnerable to rocket and sniper spam.

I don't get why Ruffian decided to remove these kinds of things. I'd also like to know why reclaimed tactical locations don't show up on your map unless you're right on top of them.

FHIZ

You know what I just realized annoys the hell out of me? The driving renegade orbs.

"oh hey I'm going to get that"
BACK ALLEY WITH 90 DEGREE TURNS AND FULL OF TONS OF PEOPLE
"AGENT STOP RUNNING OVER CIVILIANS"
then all the peacekeepers start shooting and god damnit, that's annoying.

burgerdog

Speaking of running civilians over. Racing during the day is super annoying due to civilians, hm, I've wondered about this; do you lose experience for killing them?

burgerdog said:
Speaking of running civilians over. Racing during the day is super annoying due to civilians, hm, I've wondered about this; do you lose experience for killing them?

Pretty sure you do, your driving icon turns red. But it's probably not a significant amount.

FHIZ said:
You know what I just realized annoys the hell out of me? The driving renegade orbs.

:lol :lol :lol Exactly what me and my buddies were complaining about. Happens so often, and makes you so pissed off.

Major Williams said:
:lol :lol :lol Exactly what me and my buddies were complaining about. Happens so often, and makes you so pissed off.
That's why I do most of my driving at night. Races, stunt rings, orbs, etc.

Come to think of it though, I do just about most things at night. Everything should be easier at night: Freak lairs should be less filled, Cell has their hands full taking on you AND any freaks in the vicinity, and there are fewer civvies around to get in the way.

I actually have different loadouts for day and night. In the day I take the Cell LMG/Cell Sniper rifle and Proximity Mines. I take territories with a tactical flair: Headshot the guards from long range, move in, place proximity mines at various paths to the target, call in for da choppa, and then lie in wait with my LMG. Its surgical, precise, and works for me most of the time.

At night anything goes, so I'll be packing the homing missiles, cluster grenades and the LMG. But I'll also take the weapons off guys I drop and empty em out in explosive glory before tossing them and grabbing the next. Basically its one long chain of explosions for me at night.

augmental

I think it is funny when the Announcer asks if you learned your lesson by having the peacekeepers shoot at you (after killing too many civies) and then he tells you to get back to your mission...but there is one problem...they are STILL SHOOTING AT ME for a good fifteen more minutes :lol THE AGENCY IS LIES!!!

Marvie_3

Banned
Major Williams said:
Is there a trick to getting the harpoon achievement?

How difficult is it? Is there an easy way to aim the harpoon/move the car?
Just park a big car/van near a crowded sidewalk. Hop out and stand a small distance away from the car. Then just keep shooting people with the harpoon gun as they walk between you and the car.

goldenpp72

I got the harpoon achievement by grabbing a large enemy fan, then I would position myself in front of them (and in front of the vehicle) duck, and aim for a headshot, I got them pinned every single time and it took me maybe 2 or 3 minutes, this is post game where barely any humans are around to kill too.

Got all 500 Agilities last night. SOOOOOOOOOOOOO love having the d-pad up ping there.

Thanks for the heads up. Didn't know it existed until yesterday. Thanks blokes.

So many little touches they added to this game that make it better than the first for me. Love it. And so awesome it's number 1 in the UK. CRACKDOWN 3!!!!

Ding

FHIZ said:

Yeah, it's a pity that Ruffian didn't design things in such a way that every single civilian in the game would disappear off the streets for a substantial portion of each day. That would have made things so much easier.

This is intolerable. You should start a petition. Or maybe a class-action.

goldenpp72

Ding said:
Yeah, it's a pity that Ruffian didn't design things in such a way that every single civilian in the game would disappear off the streets for a substantial portion of each day. That would have made things so much easier.

This is intolerable. You should start a petition. Or maybe a class-action.

I think that pedestrians so go off the road if you do road races or chase renegade orbs, honestly, I don't WANT to kill innocent people, I feel bad when they blow up on my car :(

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Can't believe I am up to like 420 agility orbs. Never thought I would get that many.

What is the minigun for the related achievement? I can't see a minigun in the weapons list. Unless they mean the detached turret.

soldat7

Has anyone noticed that the NPCs in this game behave much better than in the first game? They seem to have way more animations and behaviors this time around. And they explode, which is nice.

derFeef

soldat7 said:
Has anyone noticed that the NPCs in this game behave much better than in the first game? They seem to have way more animations and behaviors this time around. And they explode, which is nice.
I notice all this little details and it makes me wonder if the reviewers just overlooked them. It sure has nothing to do with game mechanics, pacing, story and whatnot, but I sometimes love to walk around and look whats going on. The city is really alive and I do not get the "lifeless" comments. Every corner is packed with little details. I love those because it shows the devs did care - even if the schedule was very tight.

Happy to see Crackdown 2 in the top UK spots. Ruffian needs to make a fully fleshed out sequel.

GhaleonEB

derFeef said:
I notice all this little details and it makes me wonder if the reviewers just overlooked them. It sure has nothing to do with game mechanics, pacing, story and whatnot, but I sometimes love to walk around and look whats going on. The city is really alive and I do not get the "lifeless" comments. Every corner is packed with little details. I love those because it shows the devs did care - even if the schedule was very tight.

Happy to see Crackdown 2 in the top UK spots. Ruffian needs to make a fully fleshed out sequel.
It's one of the areas the sequel really improved over the original. In the first game, people did two things: stand around and run around. Now they actually act a bit more alive, lots of little touches.

Last night I beat a crowd to death with an acoustic guitar some dude was playing. It made a delightful hollow "bong bong bong" noise. Between that and getting up to 481 Agility Obs my night was made.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
GhaleonEB said:
It's one of the areas the sequel really improved over the original. In the first game, people did two things: stand around and run around. Now they actually act a bit more alive, lots of little touches.

Last night I beat a crowd to death with an acoustic guitar some dude was playing. It made a delightful hollow "bong bong bong" noise. Between that and getting up to 481 Agility Obs my night was made.

You can grab the guitar!? Ooooh! *evil thoughts*

JambiBum

cjelly said:
Can't believe I am up to like 420 agility orbs. Never thought I would get that many.

What is the minigun for the related achievement? I can't see a minigun in the weapons list. Unless they mean the detached turret.

The minigun achievement seems to be the one that is on top of the buggy. I was wondering this myself while I was going for the victory roll achievement. Ended up killing a bunch of freaks with the minigun on top of the buggy and got that achievement.

goldenpp72

Mrbob said:
I maxed out my agility last night...no bonus for hitting level 6?

This made me sad as well, the original is the same way but the added bubble made me think you got something cool for being level 6.

Dlc maybe..

Mrbob

goldenpp72 said:
This made me sad as well, the original is the same way but the added bubble made me think you got something cool for being level 6.

Dlc maybe..

Yeah I had the same thought too. Oh look I have a 6th dot now but it doesn't do anything. Especially disappointing since it took a long time to go from 5 to 6. Would be cool if you got some massive agent upgrade for getting all skills to level 6.

goldenpp72

Mrbob said:
Yeah I had the same thought too. Oh look I have a 6th dot now but it doesn't do anything. Especially disappointing since it took a long time to go from 5 to 6. Would be cool if you got some massive agent upgrade for getting all skills to level 6.

Well, having more agility could break the game, I would have been content with a new ability or something. How about a jetpack for my agent if I get 500 agility orbs and level 6 agility? What about double strength at level 6 strength, i dunno, some more unlockables could be nice.

GhaleonEB

Mrbob said:
Looks like the only thing is an achievement for getting all abilities to level six. I was bummed when I hit level six on explosives and nothing happened.

goldenpp72

Actually that isn't the case either, the achievement is for level 5 on all skills, there is nothing for level '6' or even a level 6 for that matter, in the back screen it just shows level 5 and a full bar.

GhaleonEB

goldenpp72 said:
Actually that isn't the case either, the achievement is for level 5 on all skills, there is nothing for level '6' or even a level 6 for that matter, in the back screen it just shows level 5 and a full bar.
Interesting. What the heck is that sixth level for then?

Mrbob

GhaleonEB said:
Looks like the only thing is an achievement for getting all abilities to level six. I was bummed when I hit level six on explosives and nothing happened.

You only have to hit all abilities to 5 to get the achievement...so I'm trying to figure out why the game shows the ability to go to 6 with no bonus.

I've been doing some hunting and someone claiming on a gamespot forum stated devs said something is coming, so I'm guessing DLC? Hopefully I don't have to pay for level 6 abilities.

goldenpp72

Mrbob said:
You only have to hit all abilities to 5 to get the achievement...so I'm trying to figure out why the game shows the ability to go to 6 with no bonus.

I've been doing some hunting and someone claiming on a gamespot forum stated devs said something is coming, so I'm guessing DLC? Hopefully I don't have to pay for level 6 abilities.

When you hit back, it shows level 5 no matter what, with the bar at 100, so I unfortunately think it's just like crackdown 1 with a more deceiving visual :/

augmental

soldat7 said:

I like it when the NPC civilians take justice into their own hands and start running over the Cell. I saw one try and continually drive forward, reverse, forward again in an attempt to mow down 3 different Cell soldiers. Pretty awesome to see that they programmed that in :lol

gazliddon

Neo Member
soldat7 said:

See if you can find a group of them and throw one of those satchel charges at one of the group making sure it sticks to one of them. :D

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
goldenpp72 said:
it's 50 on amazon which is a good price I think, but i'm sure you can find it cheaper later if you don't care to own it soon.

that's the thing that's killing me. I really want this game but if it's anything like the sequel, it'll be dirt cheap in no time. Argh.

JambiBum

Big Ass Ramp said:
that's the thing that's killing me. I really want this game but if it's anything like the sequel, it'll be dirt cheap in no time. Argh.
I know dell.com had it for 40 earlier. Not sure if that deal is still going on or not. There is someone in the buy/sell thread selling it for 42 I think as well.

GhaleonEB

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Got all 500 Agilities last night. SOOOOOOOOOOOOO love having the d-pad up ping there.

Thanks for the heads up. Didn't know it existed until yesterday. Thanks blokes.

So many little touches they added to this game that make it better than the first for me. Love it. And so awesome it's number 1 in the UK. CRACKDOWN 3!!!!
And I didn't know about it until this post. Two hours and over 50 obs later, I'm at 212 and 495. :lol

Does it work for the audio logs as well, or am I on my own for the last dozen?

goldenpp72

GhaleonEB said:
And I didn't know about it until this post. Two hours and over 50 obs later, I'm at 212 and 495. :lol

Does it work for the audio logs as well, or am I on my own for the last dozen?

Orbs only, all forms of orbs, audio logs you're on your own.

Circle T

Am I missing something with the Renegade Driving orbs? The one on the figure-8 track in North Green Bay is basically impossible. It moves almost too fast to catch, but even if you do get some speed built up, the driving in this game is such shit, that you can't see where the hell you are going anyway, nor can you actually control the cars to any usable degree, so you WILL hit a rock and crash, ruining any momentum you had up to that point. This is seriously ridiculous. I've been working at this ONE SINGLE ORB for like 30 minutes now, and I haven't even been within 5 car-lengths from it. So either I'm missing the funny joke with these, or this game can go fuck itself.

The Renegade Agility ones are basically the same thing. I got tired of trying to catch them and their random, stupid paths, so I just used a helicopter. If you get in a helicopter, and fly up super high and jump out, you will be moving fast enough by the time you land that the Renegade Agility orb won't have time to move away from you. You will obviously die, but you will get the orb in the process. I was going to attempt to catch them all legitimately, but after running around like mad all evening trying to catch these cheatin-ass things, I gave up and cheated back. Fuck them.

[/rage]

Oh, and since you guys are talking about the d-pad radar ping thing, I have a little trick that I figured out earlier when I was hunting orbs that might help you even more. When you return to the game after pausing it, the mini-map in the lower left will be zoomed out a bit, before it zooms back in to normal range. If you quickly hit up on the d-pad to ping the radar when it is still zoomed way out, you can see many more orbs in your area, making searching for them that much easier. I would do that to see what direction any orbs were in, then when I was in the area, I would use the normal ping to narrow my search. This helped a TON for finding those last 10 or so Hidden orbs.

augmental

The amount of ground that you can cover in such a short time is unparalleled by any other game once you achieve level 5 agility. I had some friends over and they were overly impressed with the draw distance and the fact that I can get to a far away tower in mere seconds. That is what makes this game great for me. I FEEL like a comic book superhero.

JambiBum

Circle T said:
Am I missing something with the Renegade Driving orbs? The one on the figure-8 track in North Green Bay is basically impossible. It moves almost too fast to catch, but even if you do get some speed built up, the driving in this game is such shit, that you can't see where the hell you are going anyway, nor can you actually control the cars to any usable degree, so you WILL hit a rock and crash, ruining any momentum you had up to that point. This is seriously ridiculous. I've been working at this ONE SINGLE ORB for like 30 minutes now, and I haven't even been within 5 car-lengths from it. So either I'm missing the funny joke with these, or this game can go fuck itself.

The Renegade Agility ones are basically the same thing. I got tired of trying to catch them and their random, stupid paths, so I just used a helicopter. If you get in a helicopter, and fly up super high and jump out, you will be moving fast enough by the time you land that the Renegade Agility orb won't have time to move away from you. You will obviously die, but you will get the orb in the process. I was going to attempt to catch them all legitimately, but after running around like mad all evening trying to catch these cheatin-ass things, I gave up and cheated back. Fuck them.

[/rage]

The key with the renegade orbs is to trick them before they trick you. This is easier with the agility orbs because you are on foot but it can be done with the driving ones as well. If you are just following the orbs you will more than likely not be able to catch them, especially the ones that require higher levels. Instead change directions on them. When they first start to move they are slow so this gives you time to catch them. You can do it with the driving ones too but it's a little more difficult.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Only just found out about the map ping as well, and this feature is the most genius and cheating addition to the game at the same time!:D Missing just 3 Agility orbs now and I know where 1 of them is (ontop of a chimney in the harbor)!

One hell of an addiction? Hell yes. :D

Flavius

Circle T said:
Oh, and since you guys are talking about the d-pad radar ping thing, I have a little trick that I figured out earlier when I was hunting orbs that might help you even more. When you return to the game after pausing it, the mini-map in the lower left will be zoomed out a bit, before it zooms back in to normal range. If you quickly hit up on the d-pad to ping the radar when it is still zoomed way out, you can see many more orbs in your area, making searching for them that much easier. I would do that to see what direction any orbs were in, then when I was in the area, I would use the normal ping to narrow my search. This helped a TON for finding those last 10 or so Hidden orbs.

Hell of a tip...thanks! Can't wait to try this one out later.

Circle T

JambiBum said:
The key with the renegade orbs is to trick them before they trick you. This is easier with the agility orbs because you are on foot but it can be done with the driving ones as well. If you are just following the orbs you will more than likely not be able to catch them, especially the ones that require higher levels. Instead change directions on them. When they first start to move they are slow so this gives you time to catch them. You can do it with the driving ones too but it's a little more difficult.
Yea, I understand all that. Once you figure out the pattern they travel in, cutting them off at a turn is a little easier. But still, the one up at the figure-8 track in Green Bay just seems impossible to me. I gave up last night, because I was seeing the red mist, but even now, after calming down and giving it another shot, I don't see how catching this orb can happen. With the other ones on the streets, they are much wider open, so getting close and cutting them off is easier. But with this one, the track is so narrow and littered with random rocks and obstacles that no matter what I try, I can't seem to get anywhere even remotely close to the orb.

So, if anyone has completed the Renegade Driving orb at the figure-8 track in North Green Bay, any tips or tricks you could share would be greatly appreciated. I'm struggling with everything I try.

ShapeGSX

I got to level 5 agility last night. What is the fastest way to get to the helicopter? I climbed the agency tower (up the 5 or so ramps) and then glided down to the pad. After 3 failed attempts, I figured out I had to fall down quite a ways to fly back up.

Is there a faster way to get to the helicopter?

ShapeGSX said:
I got to level 5 agility last night. What is the fastest way to get to the helicopter? I climbed the agency tower (up the 5 or so ramps) and then glided down to the pad. After 3 failed attempts, I figured out I had to fall down quite a ways to fly back up.

Is there a faster way to get to the helicopter?
There's a building (I think it's the guard tower over the main entrance to the Agency Tower) that's climbable. Head up the ramp, jump up a few window sills and you're on top. Then just make the leap from that tower over to the chopper pad. Just make sure you delay your jump as long as possible because it'll take all of your level 5 agility to make the leap. I tend to miss it from time to time, but it's pretty quick.

DrBo42

Don't forget you can always briefly pop your wingsuit when jumping from that building to the chopper pad. As soon as you're over the apex of your jump, you can engage it. Then press it again and it acts as almost a 2nd mini jump.

Top Bottom