• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 2 |OT| of Orbs, Freaks, and Exploding Pedestrians

goldenpp72

Here is my personal review of crackdown 2, keep in mind I got every achievement in the original and most in this sequel (missing a few odd ends now) so I do have a great grasp of the series.

Crackdown 2 is a very worthy addition to the series, while it might not have a brand new setting, it does a great job of reusing its setting and adding a lot of things that the original needed. If you're only interested in blowing through the campaign missions, this might not be a game worth the money for you, but if you're interested in doing all there is to do, you won't be able to do it all in under 30 hours time.

Crackdown 1 made achievements fun, to a point. Instead of having cliche kill 100 of this or whatever, it added a great amount of things that are fun to do. The problem is that it poorly managed them. You can get up to 499 orbs, with no way to even hint at where the last one is, crackdown 2 remedies this in many ways, it tells you where the vertical location of any orbs in your proximity when you hit up on the dpad, it has a map showing all the ones you have, and list how many you have out of whatever number in each island. This applies to all things, road races and the like are now able to be distinguished on the map as finished or not, stunt rings and all things are listed on your map instead of cryptically hidden, basically, in crackdown 1 it was a chore to play sometimes, in crackdown 2 they leave the fun to DOING the act rather than aimlessly looking around forever.

Aside that, there is a better flow to the game, in crackdown 1 all the armories were up high and the only way to access (or store) a vehicle was to redundantly track back to the agency tower, even with being able to regenerate there it was still a hassle. Now, there are locations scattered all throughout the game to deposit weapons, cars, and of course, withdraw any car or weapon you have available to you, making the flow VASTLY better.

Additions like the helicopter, wing suit, 4 player co op (which runs brilliant where as the original had trouble with just 2 people) and yes, even the 16 player multiplayer, are all worthwhile additions (with the multiplayer being the least relevant but not bad to dabble in)

Basically, post game crackdown 1 was great but frustrating to manage, post game crackdown 2 you feel empowered and know exactly what options you have at all times, it's so well laid out and organized that getting every achievement is fun and should be the goal for all players.

Other nice additions include a cool song for rooftop races, more vehicles, more weapons, and (subjective I know) better graphics. The deep colors mixed with the gritty world are appealing. The addition of the freaks is also welcome, mindless cannon fodder for your new insane weapons, it makes for a totally different ball game than the more intelligent and dangerous humans.

Now comes the campaign structure, I have to say that i do agree that the main campaign is a bit less fun than in the original, where as in the original you only had one style of objective, they were laced in more interesting ways using levels as actual set pieces, crackdown 2 has a more open world format to it's structure which is ok but not as compelling. While you do have 3 objectives rather than 1, it feels a bit more tedious.

Co op is also much more fun, from wing suit flying, co op orbs, more open world objectives, helicopters, it just feels a lot more meaningful to play co op in this game rather than the more aimless original. It's also worth noting that the story is much better in this game in terms of presentation, the original had some shitty cutscenes mixed with a stupid ending, this game has a couple cool fmv scenes and the audio diaries make for a more complex plot, it's not really a GOOD story but beyond the joke that was the originals.

Overall, I would give this a solid 8, the same score i'd give the original at it's time, if you buy crackdown 2 or own it already, I implore you to try and go for all the achievements if you want to see what significant changes the developers actually did for the better. It's truly a far better experience in that regard and no where near as frustrating. Going for them adds substance to the game by directing you to the various aspects the game offers.

I also think many people unfairly compared crackdown 1 final to crackdown 2 vanilla, dlc added a lot to the original and I bet it will do that here as well. While I would change some things (make the chopper easier to get to, fix some bugs and framerate hitches, add more objectives and tweak the aiming a lot) the overall experience is great for completionist and co op fans :)

There is much more to say but i'll leave all that alone, cd2 is a flawed game just like the original, but has a much smarter overall structure for those willing to dig into all that can be done.

Druz

Picking up the game tomorrow, so what's the verdict? Anyone who is playing coop regret their purchase yet?

Shurs

RedSwirl said:
I've barely played any Crackdown ever. Should I get Crackdown 1 or Crackdown 2.

I’ve only played the original Crackdown demo and thought it was a lot of fun, but I heard the sequel wasn’t that great. Is it “not that great” because it doesn’t improve very much over the first game but is still technically a better game, or is it just flat-out worse than the original Crackdown?

Get the first game. It's less than $20 for a new copy on Amazon. I got mine for $13. If you love Crackdown, then you'll probably like the sequel.

Soldat, I still need to see you online at the same time as me to co-op this shit dude. Time zone fuck ups methinks.

Crackdown 2 is fucking amazing. They basically just took Crackdown 1, and streamlined the whole experience, which is awesome.

I'm LOVING how much less tedious it is to find missing orbs now. So much better, and not having to go back to the Agency to get a vehicle is awesome.

Fucking LOVe this game. 14 hours logged in a few days. 470 Agilities, about 110 Hiddens. Need to trawl for the rest.

Then need to get the co-op ones.

soldat7

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Soldat, I still need to see you online at the same time as me to co-op this shit dude. Time zone fuck ups methinks.

I'm itching for some co-op as well. I'm usually online in the evenings US Central Time.

GhaleonEB

Three questions.

I beat the main mission, watched the ending, credits, and epilogue, getting dumped at the main menu. Now when I go to the Agency tower, the trigger for the beacon sequence is there, my objective is to activate it, and the announcer is berating me for neglecting my priorities. Is this the normal state of things, or did it not save?

One thing I really love about Crackdown that other sandbox games, or games in general for that matter, don't really do, is that it's all just pure fun gameplay. 99% of the time that you're sitting in front of the game, you're controlling your character. You don't get interrupted with cut scenes, story or tedious load times. You play, and if you die you just respawn right away. If you finish a mission, you just run along without any cut scenes, load times or any interruptions whatsoever.

Not many games do that nowadays. With most games there is so much nonsense shoehorned in that definitely bogs down the whole experience. Not that I absolutely hate games that tries to tell a decent story, but sometimes I just want to have fun and actually PLAY a game without all that other stuff getting in the way.

It would be a damn shame if this game doesn't sell enough for Crackdown 3 to be made.

Circle T

GhaleonEB said:
I beat the main mission, watched the ending, credits, and epilogue, getting dumped at the main menu. Now when I go to the Agency tower, the trigger for the beacon sequence is there, my objective is to activate it, and the announcer is berating me for neglecting my priorities. Is this the normal state of things, or did it not save?
Yea, I asked this exact question a couple pages back. The consensus seems to be that this IS the way it works.

Shurs

GhaleonEB said:
Three questions.

That's how it is. That mission will always be there. You can still collect orbs, do challenges and it will save your status, but last mission will forever be an open.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
So I took a peak in this thread a couple days ago and saw someone mention Crackdown 2 was pretty good for a game that only had 8 months development time and a busted engine. What’s the whole story behind Crackdown 2’s development?

FrankT

Had a great time with this over the weekend. Far from perfect, but still great fun. Knocking out achievements in this game is good stuff.

RBH

1zgyw5i.png

UK:

12/Jul/2010

Microsoft’s sandbox shooter sequel ‘Crackdown 2’ secures No1, beating the original game’s No2 debut position back in Week 8 2007 and claiming Microsoft’s first All Formats No1 for 2010.

The Xbox 360 exclusive causes Warner Bros. Interactive’s ‘Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4’ to slip down a place to No2 and Rockstar/Take 2’s ‘Red Dead Redemption’ follows suit, moving down to No3. Ubisoft’s ‘Dance on Broadway’ almost doubles in sales from last week, moving from No6 up to No4 and EA’s ‘2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa’ holds steady at No5. Nintendo’s ‘Super Mario Galaxy 2’ takes a tumble, down from No3 to No6 and EA’s ‘Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11’ gets a bogey also moving down three places from No4 to No7. Ever present Top 10 titles Activision’s ‘Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2’ stays firm at No8 and Ubisoft’s ‘Just Dance’ moves down to No9. Thanks to price promotions THQ’s ‘UFC 2010: Undisputed’ wrestles its way back into the Top 10 at No10 and the only other new entry this week is Nintendo’s ‘Pokepark Wii: Pikachu’s Adventure’ in at No25

Week 27, 2010 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (__) 360 Crackdown 2 (Microsoft)
02 (06) WII Dance On Broadway (Ubisoft)
03 (01) WII Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo)
04 (02) 360 Red Dead Redemption (Take 2)
05 (04) PS3 Red Dead Redemption (Take 2)
06 (09) WII Just Dance (Ubisoft)
07 (05) WII Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Warner Bros. Interactive)
08 (11) 360 2010 Fifa World Cup South Africa (Electronic Arts)
09 (03) 360 Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Warner Bros. Interactive)
10 (14) PS3 2010 Fifa World Cup South Africa (Electronic Arts)
11 (07) NDS Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Warner Bros. Interactive)
12 (10) PS3 Tiger Woods Pga Tour 11 (Electronic Arts)
13 (12) 360 Tiger Woods Pga Tour 11 (Electronic Arts)
14 (15) WII Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)
15 (16) WII Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
16 (08) PS3 Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Warner Bros. Interactive)
17 (25) PS3 Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision Blizzard)
18 (17) PC Football Manager 2010 (Sega)
19 (19) 360 Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision Blizzard)
20 (13) 360 Sniper: Ghost Warrior (City Interactive)
21 (20) NDS Club Penguin: Herbert's Revenge (Disney Interactive Studios)
22 (24) 360 Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction (Ubisoft)
23 (__) 360 Alan Wake (Microsoft)
24 (__) WII Pokepark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure (Nintendo)
25 (34) PS3 Ufc 2010: Undisputed (Thq)
26 (28) NDS New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
27 (__) 360 Ufc 2010: Undisputed (Thq)
28 (30) PS3 Prince Of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (Ubisoft)
29 (27) PC The Sims 3: Ambitions (Electronic Arts)
30 (33) NDS Pokemon Soulsilver (Nintendo)
31 (35) WII New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo)
32 (22) 360 Transformers: War For Cybertron (Activision Blizzard)
33 (29) 360 Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (Electronic Arts)
34 (26) NDS Rooms: The Main Building (Nintendo)
35 (18) 360 Naughty Bear (505 Games)
36 (37) 360 Prince Of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (Ubisoft)
37 (__) 360 Bioshock 2 (Take 2)
38 (__) NDS Pokemon Heartgold (Nintendo)
39 (__) PC The Sims 3 (Electronic Arts)
40 (39) PS3 Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (Electronic Arts)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400936

Marvie_3

Banned
Salazar said:
Getting fucked up by homing rockets is unacceptably unpleasant.
Yeah, easily the most annoying part of this game. Sucks when you're trying to take a tactical location and there's 5 guys with homing rocket launchers.

ckohler

I haven't read much of this thread but I've been hearing a lot of negative things about this game and frankly, I'm perplexed. It's great! Every bit as fun (if not more) than the original. The additions of the wing suit, chopper, renegade/Live orbs, day/night cycle... so much good stuff. Do I have nit-picks? Sure but they are trifles compared to how much I love this game.

Here's 10 minutes of me and my friend playing and having a great time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRJRlWY7R38

RBH

ckohler said:
I haven't read much of this thread but I've been hearing a lot of negative things about this game and frankly, I'm perplexed. It's great! Every bit as fun (if not more) than the original. The additions of the wing suit, chopper, renegade/Live orbs, day/night cycle... so much good stuff. Do I have nit-picks? Sure but they are trifles compared to how much I love this game.

Fantastic video! :lol

ShapeGSX

ckohler said:

That video is inspiring! Loved it! Make more!:lol

FrankT

ckohler said:

Had no idea on the smoke-stack jump. Anyhow, hilarious when you got chopped by the chopper. What a ride heh.

Edit: :lol@ the Car bungie.

The video really is Crackdown 2 at its finest. There really is no other sandbox like it.

I'm going to say this about the mission structure versus the first I kind of think at this point I enjoy the freaks moreso than the boss hideouts from the first. I would have to go back to judge it as it has been a long time, but I'm sure I'm in the vast minority on this one.

Ruffian if you are reading this give us soundtrack play in the Agency vehicles please.

Mohonky

Argh fuck these renegade agility orbs seriously. They start out okay then get ridiculous. There's just too much shit in the way and the orbs start moving in directions off camera making you blind jump to where the orb is going and I often miss the next building or can't get a straight jump without getting stuck on a ledge and the orb just leaves you for dead.

They are toe curling, muscle tensingly frustrating. They're making me want to just punch a wall in....

Hugbot

Mohonky said:
Argh fuck these renegade agility orbs seriously. They start out okay then get ridiculous. There's just too much shit in the way and the orbs start moving in directions off camera making you blind jump to where the orb is going and I often miss the next building or can't get a straight jump without getting stuck on a ledge and the orb just leaves you for dead.

They are toe curling, muscle tensingly frustrating. They're making me want to just punch a wall in....
Fuck the guy who programmed the pathing on some of them, jesus. Particularly the ones around rocks, or that one that goes on the catwalks in the underground cavern.

Mohonky said:

And what makes them more hilarious is when your buddy is chasing one you've already gotten. It looks like he's just jumping around buildings, chasing at nothing.

soldat7

Kard8p3 said:
Oh God, THIS. I'm always getting flung into the air, for nearly 20 seconds nonstop, feels bad man.

Now you know how they feel.

Gouty said:
So I took a peak in this thread a couple days ago and saw someone mention Crackdown 2 was pretty good for a game that only had 8 months development time and a busted engine. What’s the whole story behind Crackdown 2’s development?

Crackdown 1 was a surprise hit and neither Microsoft nor Real Time Worlds got started on a sequel on time, so folks moved on to other projects. By the time MS commissioned a sequel, Ruffian Games had formed taking a bunch of people from RTW in hopes of working on said sequel. They got to work on it and spent 8-18 months working on the game. And despite somewhat negative reviews and drama here on GAF, the game is quite awesome.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I love you so much helechopper and orb ping! That last agility orb was only slightly frustrating to find :D

I tried out Team Deathmatch last night with some friends and it was just chaos. Bodies flying everywhere, explosions and ground slams galore. It's not exactly skill based but I'd be lying if I said was wasn't laughing the entire time.

Did they remove the ability to zoom in with sniper rifles?

I wouldn't mind getting killed by homing rockets as much if I could zoom in from afar and snipe the bastards first.

Sanic

I could get this for $40 now which makes it more tempting :/.

My issue is that a majority of the fun in the first crackdown for me was actually the mission structure. I enjoyed taking down the bosses, so i'm not sure how i'll feel about the changes here. How long, roughly, does the main storyline take to complete? Keep in mind i'll be playing through the game solo, as I did the first crackdown.

ShapeGSX

I was on top of a relatively tall building last night in Shai Gen (which is the most different of all of the districts). I had my Machine Gun out, leveling up my shooting skills by devastating the freaks below. Well, imagine my surprise when one of them jumped all the way to the top of the building in one go to try and kick my ass! I never expected that to happen, and I nearly fell off the building trying to get away!

The Machine Gun is absolutely awesome, btw. Takes them down quickly, and has really high ammo capacity. Has anyone found a better weapon? I still have a few left to unlock.

gazliddon

Neo Member
NullPointer said:

I wouldn't mind getting killed by homing rockets as much if I could zoom in from afar and snipe the bastards first.

You don't get a zoom BUT they're super accurate over distances for head shots.

They're great for getting rid of rocket / grenade spam.

Lock onto to rocket guy and you'll see the little dude icon with the middle of the body in red. Flip up with the right stick so his head is highlighted and wait for the reticule to zoom in completely. When it has fire. It'll take one to two shots to get rid of them.

Alternatively you can go the less subtle route of using the flocket launcher which is basically a homing rocket launcher which will take out the bad guys with one shot.

I tend have my two weapons as sniper and flocket launcher.

Aaron

NullPointer said:

Seems that they might have, but its far safer to pop out of cover to get a lock, switch to head aim while still behind cover, and make another hop for the kill.

ShapeGSX

Pandoracell said:
I could get this for $40 now which makes it more tempting :/.

My issue is that a majority of the fun in the first crackdown for me was actually the mission structure. I enjoyed taking down the bosses, so i'm not sure how i'll feel about the changes here. How long, roughly, does the main storyline take to complete? Keep in mind i'll be playing through the game solo, as I did the first crackdown.

I've been playing solo for a couple hours every night since I got it last Tuesday, and I'm not done yet. I still have a lot of the Shai Gen territory to cover. But I'll spend a complete evening just orb hunting, or leveling up a skill.

I'm sure you could speed through it if you really wanted to. I didn't want to. :) I'm having too much fun.

ckohler said:

The magnetic mine has to be one of the best weapons/items/gadgets ever created. It's up there with the cerebral bore in awesomeness.

Circle T

ShapeGSX said:
The Machine Gun is absolutely awesome, btw. Takes them down quickly, and has really high ammo capacity. Has anyone found a better weapon? I still have a few left to unlock.
I really like the Cell version that you can find, the HMG-120. It has the same ammo capacity as the standard Agency machine gun (720 rounds), but has more range and does a little more damage. It does shoot a little slower, but the higher damage seems to make up for that. I usually roll with that gun, the Homing Rockets and Quackers.

Sanic

ShapeGSX said:
I've been playing solo for a couple hours every night since I got it last Tuesday, and I'm not done yet. I still have a lot of the Shai Gen territory to cover. But I'll spend a complete evening just orb hunting, or leveling up a skill.

I'm sure you could speed through it if you really wanted to. I didn't want to. :) I'm having too much fun.

Thanks. My problem is, I won't spend an evening just orb hunting, and stuff like that. I'll just collect those as I naturally play through the game. So really, the length of the game for me probably won't be that much longer than the length of the main campaign, unless my play habits have changed in the past 3.5 years. It's weird, I know, but Crackdown to me was much more than just collecting orbs :lol.

Maaseru

Banned
goldenpp72 said:
The sequel is in my opinion superior in most but not all ways, however, i think part of the fun of cd2 is seeing the blown up city from the original. If you don't care to see the city in it's original state, then go for cd2, as it's better in most ways. And if you ever want more, cd1 is still very playable after cd2.

Cd2 as you get deeper in it, just has more to it than cd1, cd1 was terrible for managing it's insanely fun achievements, cd2 makes the achievements perfect, the wing suit and chopper are amazing additions and the co op runs far smoother than it did in the original, as well, since it's being played now, cd2 has plenty of games to join.

Cd1 when released was pretty barren and broken, cd2 takes all the patches and content additions of the original and expands on them.

Hmm I think if you've never played Crackdown, but like the type of game described, then you should get no. 2 because it is really similar, there is really no story and the game is better executed than the first one. I even think if you like the kind of game you would like 2 better as a first experience.

Aigis said:

I can't tell if that's a joke, or something he'll just now say is a joke.

That's one bad thing about the Renegade Orbs, the normal orbs are marked with a value usually relative to their difficulty, but I'm not sure if the Renegade Orbs are marked in any way how hard they are, what basic Agility you'll need to catch them, etc. You pretty much already need to have high Agility to catch them anyway, and some you'll outrun in seconds.

Co-Op video was good, though.

jred2k said:
The amount of triangles around the orb are an indicator of how difficult it is. The amount goes from 0-6.

Ah. I suspected that, but it's not the easiest to spot with all of the mess on your mini-map. It'd also been nice if they used one of the Agency Director's billion lines to say that, instead of always saying "CATCH IT, AGENT!"

ShapeGSX

Pandoracell said:
Thanks. My problem is, I won't spend an evening just orb hunting, and stuff like that. I'll just collect those as I naturally play through the game. So really, the length of the game for me probably won't be that much longer than the length of the main campaign, unless my play habits have changed in the past 3.5 years. It's weird, I know, but Crackdown to me was much more than just collecting orbs :lol.

I played Burnout Paradise simply to smash all of the billboards.

I love playing Crackdown for more than just the orbs, but I do love collecting them.

But it isn't just collection that does it for me. I couldn't care less about the feathers in Assassin's Creed II because they are so hard to see. But when there is something to collect that is screaming neon green and right out in the open where everyone can see it (nyah-nyah!), I have to collect them all. :D

I probably would have gotten the game through Gamefly if I was just going to do the campaign. But Crackdown is a lot more than just the campaign to me, and I'll come back to it later. By your description of how you will play it, I'd rent it for a week or but it once it hits $40 or lower.

Top Bottom