• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crimson Dragon |OT| This Orta be good

jQJvYZnyIZGXN.png

jbnYDf52vm0ctu.png

iycrahgnGuWnC.png

• Spiritual successor to the acclaimed Panzer Dragoon series.
• Directed by Yukio Futatsugi the creator of the Panzer Dragoon series and Phantom Dust.
• Soundtrack by Saori Kobayashi, one of the composers behind Panzer Dragoon Saga and Panzer Dragoon Orta.
• 26 different missions across 6 different regions on the planet Draco.
• Both traditional on-rails levels and open free control boss encounters.
• Lend your dragons to your friends to gain skills/items when your dragon is returned to you.
• 3 player simultaneous co-op - Pending a December update
• Classic and Casual difficulty with the former offering a bonus to experience and better loot drops.

ibrHNG1HBzg3Su.png

• There are 6 species of dragons each with it's own strengths and weaknesses. One may be able to recharge it's skills quickly while another may have more health.
• Each dragon has 3 tiers of evolution that can be unlocked by feeding your dragon an evolution seed after they have reached level 10.
• Your dragon's skills are gained through special items rewarded for defeating enemy swarms. There are 90 different unlockable skills such as lock-on fire, lasers, etc.
• A 7th, exclusive, dragon available for anyone who purchases the game before December 31st 2013.

jSymP3ePVfima.png

jtvZkDexfMwZN.png

• Crimson Dragon is fully controllable with the Xbox One controller with optional Kinect features.
• Use your voice to command your wingmen or lean side-to-side to roll your dragon with Kinect.
• Supports the Xbox One rumble triggers.

jbyeYiQo0fJ02M.png

jbg231pqsx3v0Y.png

jb2yTEBlDx28mN.png

GameInformer 6/10

I loved the original Panzer Dragoon games, so just to make sure I wasn’t misremembering the quality of the series I went back and sampled the library. I had more fun playing the first levels of Sega’s old shooters than I did with my entire time with Crimson Dragon. Hardcore fans of classic on-rails shooters like Star Fox or Space Harrier might be able to play through this while wearing rose-tinted glasses, but it doesn’t hold a candle to its precursors that came out decades ago.

Polygon 4/10

But I could forgive all of these missteps, the weird microtransactions, the underwhelming graphics, the off-kilter systems, if, on a very basic level, it was fun. It's not. Crimson Dragon manages to take riding on a sweet flying dragon and make it a bland, frustrating slog. In my book, that's about as unforgivable as sins come.

IGN 5.9/10

Crimson Dragon works well enough as a straight arcade shooter, and there’s plenty of challenge in it. There’s some nostalgic value, too, but it’s weak graphics and frustrating free-flight boss fights make it tough to enjoy the stroll down memory lane.

Edge 5/10

Crimson Dragon is at its most absorbing when it’s not hard. There’s a sense of satisfying caretaking to easier levels, and the constant stream of instant rewards for playing well is more gratifying than it should be. It’s during its harder moments that Crimson Dragon pushes you away. A combination of heavy handling and poor communication make you feel hoodwinked rather than outmatched, and the ability to buy continues with Gems you’ve purchased with real money sullies the challenge. It’s a good job that the Zen gardens of those easier levels are always there to return to.

Destructoid 8/10

Crimson Dragon was a pleasant surprise. As a massive fan of the Panzer series, I was worried that this wouldn't quite honor it, but there's plenty here for gamers who have been longing for an entry since 2003's Orta. There are some mechanical problems, but any old-school rail shooter fan will be able to handle them.

Special thanks to the game fonts database for...well... the font! And to CrunchinJelly for the fantastic thread title.

I knew this was going to happen, spend all this time trying to think of a title that wasn't completely horrible only to have someone blow it away on the first post!

it still not too late to ask a mod to change it ;)
god I wish I was getting a console at launch or this baby and KI would be mine

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Really hope this turns out to be good. Wanna see if they are serious about making an RPG if this is received well. Loved Panzer Dragoon.

Nice title. This is the one game between XB1/PS4 that I'm paying any significant attention to right now. Very interested to see how it is received.

.la1n

Very excited for this. Some of my fondest gaming memories are playing Panzer Dragoon, Zwei, and Saga. Orta was one of the first titles to make me want an Xbox and a damn good entry in it's own right as well.

Poker360

This game is $20, right?

Seems like an absolute no-brainer decision if you're getting an XB1.

Looks great. Can't wait to see reviews on monday morning.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The only game I'd really want for Xbone... :(

• Classic and Casual difficulty with the former offering a bonus to experience and better loot drops.
o_O Loot drops?

• There are 6 species of dragons each with it's own strengths and weaknesses. One may be able to recharge it's skills quickly while another may have more health.
• Each dragon has 3 tiers of evolution that can be unlocked by feeding your dragon an evolution seed after they have reached level 10.
• Your dragon's skills are gained through special items rewarded for defeating enemy swarms. There are 90 different unlockable skills such as lock-on fire, lasers, etc.
Sweeeeet...
• A 7th, exclusive, dragon available for anyone who purchases the game before December 31st 2013.
What the? Fuck you very much. Hate when they do shit like this. I hope it'll be available as DLC at least.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Game looks so good, and it's the only thing I even want on the Xbone. Not enough to get me to buy it, but when I do? Oh yeah, this is the first thing I'm getting. I'm still really, really happy that this is no longer a Kinect-only affair.

Shahadan

This is the kind of things you need to put at a console launch. Great(?) niche games nobody would buy in any other time period.

That was a nice choice.

RyudBoy

It's so weird how I'm not feeling this game because I love the Panzer series. I still have the original Panzer Dragoon, Zwei and Saga for the Saturn. I think it has to do with the fact that it started as a 360 game. It could've been so much more if they started from scratch.

Still, I think I'll give it a try down the line. It's just not on my priority list at the moment.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The now-passing Gen easily proved to me, that Downloadable games could outpace the scale and enjoyment of full retail games for me. The amount paid had nothing to do with the overall quality of the experience, and many of these "smaller" games really applied to my gaming desires more than many "AAA Blockbuster"-style games.

Crimson Dragon is one of those games I really hope to continue this trend! And I hope to do a lot better with IT, than I initially did with Orta. I don't remember exactly why (maybe the evolutions?) But I was BAD at that game when I first played it, despite beating Starfox 64 backwards and forwards, and having played the previous Panzer games quite a few times.

Eventually had much more fun with Orta, and can still go back to it now. Really makes me wonder... why I was SO BAD at it, lol.

I never got deep into Saga, as I remember there being an issue with the copy I had access to... so I never got beyond the introductory areas.

Hope to make that all up with CD here! With all that gorgeous music, and oddly nostalgic scenery (I keep feeling like the scenes remind me of a mesh of PD, Skies of Arcadia, and that weird Seventh Cross Evolution game on Dreamcast...)

I wish I could induce myself into buying an Xbone for this and Titanfall. PD's a fave franchise of mine—seeing it end up like this is certainly interesting.

SegaShack

This and KI at launch are what got my to preorder an X1. I am really excited for this, I only got into the PD series a year ago too but I loved it so much and am thrilled to see it return.

Something I have to ask, some early builds of the game showed that you controlled the dragon with the left stick and aim with the right. Anyone know if this is still true? I much prefer the unified movement/aim on one stick for these kind of games. I'm buying it regardless, but just curious.

Top Bottom