• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cryptocurrency |OT| Nothing from Money

Donos

if that level was 0,0001, then yes :D
2.15 €... Only for 220€ in total, but that loss now would still be my second highest fail. Right after buying 2 ETH each at 350 € before ETH went down for a long time. Sold them for 230€ which i then got antshares for.

Luckily i then catched that miracle antshare run.

Now i would like to buy ark, using eth for example. So i have to transfer it to another exchange, bittrex would be fine i guess?
How does it work? i have to do it from coinbase or from bittrex? I have copy the eth adress or btc on bitterx and pase it on coinbase and select an ammount and done?
Does this have fees?

And then buy ark on bittrex using the eth or btc transfered.
Btw way, how fast is the transfer? the same day maybe?

Thanks !

On Bittrex go to the wallet, punch in "ETH" at the search bar if it isn't already shown > hit the "+" beside the "ETH" symbol > generate adress if there isn't already one > paste adress into the coinbase "send" window. Fill out how much ETH you want to send or just send all of them > There will be fees which coinbase shows and substracts from the amount you are sending > it will take approx 5 - 15 min to get it from Cbase to Bittrex.

After a few minutes you can see the transfer pending in the Bittrex wallet with the number of confírmations (i think it needs like 36 confirmations).

Then in the wallet search ETH again (or under"Markets" at the top left", click the symbol, then you get to the ETH window where , if you scroll down, can buy and sell ETH. Go to "sell ethereum" and click "max" amount of ETH at units (if you want to sell them all), hit last price if you are unsure which price at ASK and then sell > all ETH gets sold for BTC.

Now the same for ARK but this time you go to the left to "BUY ARK" (after hitting ARK symbol). Buy ARK with the BTC you have.

It's easier then i write it, trust me. Go to youtube, there are TODO vids for every exchange out there and how to buy/sell stuff.

Sony

Nintendo
In accordance with the recent notice from China PBoC and requests from various government offices, Binance will make the following adjustments:
1. Per requests from their respective core teams, we will suspend trading and deposit services of the following tokens: HCC, LLT, ELC, BTM, YOYO. Withdrawal will continue to work. Each team will announce the refund plan of their tokens.
2. We will restrict all Chinese IP addresses from trading. They will continue to be able to visit the user center and make withdrawals.
3.Binance will perform a system upgrade from 2017/09/07 00:00 (Beijing Time). The upgrade is expected to last 2-3 hours. We will suspend registration, login, deposit, withdraw and trading during the upgrade. We will try to shorten the downtime as much as possible. The above 2 changes will be in effect after this upgrade.

Going forward, Binance will refocus and redouble our efforts in servicing our international audience, which currently accounts for 82.5% of our user base (according to Alexa). We will also speed up listing of popular western coins. We want to thank the communities for supporting us, and will list 5 coins from the voting list. Details will follow.

FUCKSHITFUCKSHITFUCKFUCKFUCKSHITFUCK

Tk0n

finally bought a small amout of BTC ETH and LTC on coinbase. Quite expensive i must say, but wll, atleast the 10 dollar from referal made it worth... i guess.

Now i would like to buy ark, using eth for example. So i have to transfer it to another exchange, bittrex would be fine i guess?
How does it work? i have to do it from coinbase or from bittrex? I have copy the eth adress or btc on bitterx and pase it on coinbase and select an ammount and done?
Does this have fees?

And then buy ark on bittrex using the eth or btc transfered.
Btw way, how fast is the transfer? the same day maybe?

Thanks !

on bittrex, you go to "wallets" and click on the "+" next to the wallet, you want to transfer to. use the generated adress on coinbase as the address where you want to transfer your funds to. transfer of btc can take a while. eth should be quicker. both should be on the same day.
you cant use eth on bittrex to buy ark, you would have to trade your eth in for btc first.

tzare

on bittrex, you go to "wallets" and click on the "+" next to the wallet, you want to transfer to. use the generated adress on coinbase as the address where you want to transfer your funds to. transfer of btc can take a while. eth should be quicker. both should be on the same day.
you cant use eth on bittrex to buy ark, you would have to trade your eth in for btc first.

oh,
so since i bought both eth and btc maybe i should transfer BTC instead of ETH. Is there a minimum required for BTC?
Is it free to transfer from one exchange to another?

I read before something about ark and voting to get rewards. Do i have to have a minimum ammount to be able to do that?
Thanks!

Tk0n

2.15 €... Only for 220€ in total, but that loss now would still be my second highest fail. Right after buying 2 ETH each at 350 € before ETH went down for a long time. Sold them for 230€ which i then got antshares for.

yeah, i bought bnb, sold them at 20% loss and bought wtc. which, right now is down 20% from my initial buy. but i was really conservative and didnt put too much money into bnb. could still buy back into bnb and have a lot more than i had before ;)
at least wtc seems to react positive to the binance news for now.

Tk0n

oh,
so since i bought both eth and btc maybe i should transfer BTC instead of ETH. Is there a minimum required for BTC?
Is it free to transfer from one exchange to another?

there is a transfer cost. i think it should be about 0.001 btc and 0.005 eth.

I read before something about ark and voting to get rewards. Do i have to have a minimum ammount to be able to do that?
Thanks!

depends on the delegate you vote for.
edit: calculator: http://calculator.reconnico.com/

Sulik2

Bit of a shame that ARK didn't kick on and stay above 60k for a little while.

It's coming ark has some big technology stuff going live in the next few months with their cross block chain transaction stuff. Expect it to explode at some point.

FUCKSHITFUCKSHITFUCKFUCKFUCKSHITFUCK
Chinese exchanges are sketchy as fuck. I bought some WTC llike 2 hours ago and instantly sold it on this news (gained $25 worth of bitcoin in that time lol) and gonna wait because I think it could plummet but what do I know. I am playing with $200 so it isn't a big deal. But Binance could disappear any second. I just do not trust any Chinese exchange.

Here is a video uploaded from the Walton Team. Binance and Walton share an office right? It was created by them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGbbcnyXnnk

soymilk

Neo Member
Hey guys, just want to try my hands into buy cryptocurrency.
Using coinbase as exchange, which I already setup with my bank account. Im thinking to just buy super small maybe 1 litecoin when it drops to around $66.
Let me know if I am doing anything stupid (I most probably am haha)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Using coinbase as exchange, which I already setup with my bank account. Im thinking to just buy super small maybe 1 litecoin when it drops to around $66.

Welcome! Please feel free to ask any and all questions. Crypto can be really confusing, especially when starting out. It's also a bit scary, as you'll hear horror stories of people mis-typing an address and losing all of their money.

You've made a good start. Coinbase is the easiest and most user friendly way to start. You can buy whichever you like - LTC, ETH or BTC there, but keep in mind that you don't have to buy a whole coin. If you want to buy $100 worth of BTC, you certainly can.

From there, you can leave it on Coinbase, move it to a more secure wallet, move it to another exchange (e.g., Bittrex) if you want to use it to buy other coins, etc.

Oh, and you may be waiting forever for it to drop to $66 :) That's one of the running crypto jokes, "I'll buy bitcoin when it drops to $100".

soymilk

Neo Member
Welcome! Please feel free to ask any and all questions. Crypto can be really confusing, especially when starting out. It's also a bit scary, as you'll hear horror stories of people mis-typing an address and losing all of their money.

You've made a good start. Coinbase is the easiest and most user friendly way to start. You can buy whichever you like - LTC, ETH or BTC there, but keep in mind that you don't have to buy a whole coin. If you want to buy $100 worth of BTC, you certainly can.

From there, you can leave it on Coinbase, move it to a more secure wallet, move it to another exchange (e.g., Bittrex) if you want to use it to buy other coins, etc.

Oh, and you may be waiting forever for it to drop to $66 :) That's one of the running crypto jokes, "I'll buy bitcoin when it drops to $100".

Thanks for being so welcoming and the great advice, commish! I didn't know I could buy a fraction of a coin! Silly me haha. Maybe I'll try consider other coin then!
Is it considered dangerous to leave my money or coins on coinbase?
Are wallet more secure?
Any website or blog you all can recommend for someone who wants to learn more?

Thanks!

The Rizza

Thanks for being so welcoming and the great advice, commish! I didn't know I could buy a fraction of a coin! Silly me haha. Maybe I'll try consider other coin then!
Are wallet more secure?

Thanks!

Welcome! Definitely ask lots of questions (I've asked plenty). Wallets are considered more sate than exchanges, although some are insured. dontpanicsell.com is a good resource to read up

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Are wallet more secure?

Thanks!

For the basics, I would read this, created by a guy on reddit:

https://mycrypto.guide/

That'll answer a lot of your questions. It's "dangerous" to leave it on Coinbase in the sense that some places have been hacked and coins stolen before, but, until you reach a certain value of coins, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You'll certainly find people who move their coins to a personal wallet immediately, so it's all about your appetite for risk. Coinbase is probably on the safer side compared to many of the others.

Cipherr

You are about to have a lot of fun is all I can say. The volatility of the Crypto market is exciting as hell.

My portfolio dropped like 20% (its just about all recovered now) about 2 days ago when Bitcoin dropped alongside the bad ICO chinese news, and I was cracking up the whole damn time.

Don't think I have ever found losing money that entertaining in my life. I suppose it helped that I knew the market would crawl back, but still lol.

So at this point should I just dump my BNB?

Honestly, if BNB had made it at least back to 2$ I would say yes, dump it. I got lucky and dumped when it clawed back to 2.50. But at this point its down to 0.90 cents and down for the day 7% while the rest of the market is green and clawing back all the losses that happened 9/1. I guess the real question is do you have faith in Binance to find a way to add value to themselves. Because they were basically relying on the Exchange itself + BNB for low fee costs + ICO platform. The ICO platform as a whole is looking... not good. And BNB for low fees hasn't driven much traffic to Binance IMO thusfar either. They desperately need something else to add value and replace the space the ICO's were supposed to inhabit.

I personally don't have faith they are going to manage, so Im out for good. I would re-buy in low now if I thought they could recover. But I see nothing so far.

jamsy

Honestly, if BNB had made it at least back to 2$ I would say yes, dump it. I got lucky and dumped when it clawed back to 2.50. But at this point its down to 0.90 cents and down for the day 7% while the rest of the market is green and clawing back all the losses that happened 9/1. I guess the real question is do you have faith in Binance to find a way to add value to themselves. Because they were basically relying on the Exchange itself + BNB for low fee costs + ICO platform. The ICO platform as a whole is looking... not good. And BNB for low fees hasn't driven much traffic to Binance IMO thusfar either. They desperately need something else to add value and replace the space the ICO's were supposed to inhabit.

I personally don't have faith they are going to manage, so Im out for good. I would re-buy in low now if I thought they could recover. But I see nothing so far.

Thanks, I'll give it a day or two to see where it goes, but I'm already considering this a lesson learned.

I'm thinking of buying like 10 ETH now that it dropped a bit. I'm looking at the last few weeks and it just keeps climbing. How bad of an idea would this be?

Cipherr

Thanks, I'll give it a day or two to see where it goes, but I'm already considering this a lesson learned.

I'm thinking of buying like 10 ETH now that it dropped a bit. I'm looking at the last few weeks and it just keeps climbing. How bad of an idea would this be?

Ill have to leave this to the folks that have been around longer than me. But personally I like that Ethereums value was also, in part, structured around its ability to fund ICO's and yet, its crawling back now and gaining again after the bad ICO news. Its seems to have the other upsides that BNB lacks, so even though ICOs look less enticing, people believe in Ethereums other ventures/avenues/use cases.

Bad ICO news isn't sinking Eth like it is BNB. That to me is a good look (from my limited experience).

tzare

On Bittrex go to the wallet, punch in "ETH" at the search bar if it isn't already shown > hit the "+" beside the "ETH" symbol > generate adress if there isn't already one > paste adress into the coinbase "send" window. Fill out how much ETH you want to send or just send all of them > There will be fees which coinbase shows and substracts from the amount you are sending > it will take approx 5 - 15 min to get it from Cbase to Bittrex.

After a few minutes you can see the transfer pending in the Bittrex wallet with the number of confírmations (i think it needs like 36 confirmations).

Then in the wallet search ETH again (or under"Markets" at the top left", click the symbol, then you get to the ETH window where , if you scroll down, can buy and sell ETH. Go to "sell ethereum" and click "max" amount of ETH at units (if you want to sell them all), hit last price if you are unsure which price at ASK and then sell > all ETH gets sold for BTC.

Now the same for ARK but this time you go to the left to "BUY ARK" (after hitting ARK symbol). Buy ARK with the BTC you have.

It's easier then i write it, trust me. Go to youtube, there are TODO vids for every exchange out there and how to buy/sell stuff.

I bought ARK from Litebit and directly transferred it to my ARK wallet. Was a quick and painless process, so I can recommend it!
I did use euro's for that though, so since you already bought ETH and whatnot, I'm not sure if this is still a viable option for yo.
Thank you guys, i don't know why i missed your answers before.
Will check litebit too, let's see how much they charge compared to coinbase

Also thanks to Tk0n and the others, everyone is really helpful here 😊

Brandson

Isn't it a pretty good sign that the market rebounded like this after the ICO bad news?

The slow creep back up has me somewhat optimistic, and is more positive than a fast bounce. A 5-10% retrace from current levels is still on the table though. BTC needs to hang out above 4500 for a while, and preferably 4600.

How much do you think you need to invest to make substantial amount of money?

i feel like $500 would've gone a long way a mere 5 months or so ago because prices were very cheap. I want to make like $10k or more and I'd be Estatic.

$500 in btc would have made about $4000. I also want to keep it light hearted and not lose a lot. I like the cheap coins since they seem like they have the greatest room to grow.

All the exchanges and what they offer and what you can buy with a btc vs eth was quite a learning curve.

PolishQ

How much do you think you need to invest to make substantial amount of money?

i feel like $500 would've gone a long way a mere 5 months or so ago because prices were very cheap. I want to make like $10k or more and I'd be Estatic.

$500 in btc would have made about $4000. I also want to keep it light hearted and not lose a lot. I like the cheap coins since they seem like they have the greatest room to grow.

All the exchanges and what they offer and what you can buy with a btc vs eth was quite a learning curve.

They say time in the market is the big thing. Even a small investment now could be huge in a few years. So I guess the question is how quickly do you want to make that $10k ?

They say time in the market is the big thing. Even a small investment now could be huge in a few years. So I guess the question is how quickly do you want to make that $10k ?

Hopefully 10 years. I just wanted some extra side cash. There's 1000 cryptocurrencies. Some of the bottom dwellers could explode any time but ih well.

Cipherr

I like the cheap coins since they seem like they have the greatest room to grow.

Is this necessarily true? Im genuinely asking because something tells me its not as simple as:

Coins with the chance to go 100x == Coins that currently have a market cap around 10m so that after that 100x market cap is up to 10BLN which a few coins have nearly reached/eclipsed (~3 ish so far IIRC).

I don't know enough about this to say that its false; but it just seems like that would be far too simple to be the actual truth.

Donos

Hope you guys take it lightly. If i can make another 10k € in one year, i'm more than happy. If not, well this is alll still interesting and exciting to follow. I think it would be different and not enjoyable if it would be a more serious/heavier investment for me.

When i see some long posts at a subreddit of heavy invested people who are concerned over not much PR/hype/marketing/whatever for coin XY then i'm happy that it doesn't bother me that much.

That said:
tGJ9pzv.gif

:)

PolishQ

Hopefully 10 years. I just wanted some extra side cash. There's 1000 cryptocurrencies. Some of the bottom dwellers could explode any time but ih well.

In ten years you could make well over $10k. With that long of an investment period you'd probably be best off putting $50 each into the top 5 coins each month. Someone in a Reddit group did a study on that and the returns were pretty impressive.

AmFreak

According to the CEO only 17,5% of binance users are from China, so at least that is good news for BNB.

In ten years you could make well over $10k. With that long of an investment period you'd probably be best off putting $50 each into the top 5 coins each month. Someone in a Reddit group did a study on that and the returns were pretty impressive.

I do 401k and get the usual returns off index funds which is pretty nice. But I want this to beat stock market returns. But I worry about taxes too... this is post tax money and then capital gains tax... bleh.

$50 a month is doable, I'll have to find that Reddit thread

Plus I almost feel like I missed the boat because eth was like a couple bucks and bitcoin was less than a $100... do you think other currencies will do the same?

Brandson

Is this necessarily true? Im genuinely asking because something tells me its not as simple as:

Coins with the chance to go 100x == Coins that currently have a market cap around 10m so that after that 100x market cap is up to 10BLN which a few coins have nearly reached/eclipsed (~3 ish so far IIRC).

I don't know enough about this to say that its false; but it just seems like that would be far too simple to be the actual truth.

Ethereum and Bitcoin both have the potential to go 10x still, especially once crypto ETFs are approved. As for 100x, let's get to 10x first and then see where we are.

If you take a hard look at the whole space though, a lot of crypto assets really don't need to exist. Most of the systems that crypto has been created to support can exist without the crypto, or by using ETH or something pre-existing. I don't know how many more 100x coins are out there right now. A non-mining based cryptocurrency that can handle thousands of transactions per second could do it, if it got the backing of some big players. Tezos and EOS maybe, but it's looking doubtful. OMG has a chance, and Polkadot looks promising (it hasn't had its ICO yet). Super massive crypto returns are rarer than the media is making it seem.

PolishQ

I do 401k and get the usual returns off index funds which is pretty nice. But I want this to beat stock market returns. But I worry about taxes too... this is post tax money and then capital gains tax... bleh.

$50 a month is doable, I'll have to find that Reddit thread

Plus I almost feel like I missed the boat because eth was like a couple bucks and bitcoin was less than a $100... do you think other currencies will do the same?

I think the specific study was if you had put $1k into each of the top 10 coins a year ago (so $10k total), your portfolio would be worth $240k now.

You're bound to have similar (if not better) results if you put a smaller amount into the top X coins every month, especially if you leave it alone for 5 or 10 years.

Anyone wants to take bets where the price of wtc will go once binance is back? ;)
I got back in before it went off for maintenance. Think I got in at .000216 or around there. Not bad. Could go lower but I think it will get a pump. Or Binance could not come back online at all too lol

galperi1

I got back in before it went off for maintenance. Think I got in at .000216 or around there. Not bad. Could go lower but I think it will get a pump. Or Binance could not come back online at all too lol

Some dude on etherdelta just got lucky....sold 18 binance tokens for 0.096 eth each :)

soymilk

Neo Member
Hehe feels a bit embarrassed but since you all welcome questions, here are more beginner questions from me😅

I realised I just got excited seeing those increase in value of cryptocurrency and I didn't have any strategy for how I'm going to invest.

If people don't mind sharing their strategy or correcting mine please do😊

Since I learned you can buy fractions of coins now😅 I realize I have many options now!

Anyone flip their coins or they just invest over long period of time the same amount? I am thinking of doing 50-50 for me.

Also where do you invest? The established coins or the new cheap coins with more room for increase in valuation? Thinking of putting in $10 in the most exciting new and cheap coins and let it rest until one of them become super popular.

Any exchange that offers more coins for trading? And what's the up and coming coins you guys are excited in?
😁

Malygos

Just bought my first $100 of bitcoin like an hour ago! Plan on investing $200 a month and just treat it like a high risk savings account. Let's gooooo.

Well, Binance may say a small percentage of users come from China and the blocking of Chinese IP's won't mean much, but those small percentage of Chinese sure were most of the volume going by today. What a slow ass day. Very little room for moves. If it doesn't pick up in the next 48 hours I am out of this exchange. Nothing there I want to mess around with except WTC.

Cipherr

Live story now. Basically China backpedaling on the ICO Ban which is HUGE news. Apparently labeling it a temporary stoppage now which is completely different from a ban. They want to prevent fraud, so some legislation, but apparently they said they will ensure that they don't "Stifle Innovation".

Neo and Binance arent moving up yet, but they fucking should. Price are going to probably rocket up unless this news is countered in some fashion in the next 12 hours.

Live story now. Basically China backpedaling on the ICO Ban which is HUGE news. Apparently labeling it a temporary stoppage now which is completely different from a ban. They want to prevent fraud, so some legislation, but apparently they said they will ensure that they don't "Stifle Innovation".

Neo and Binance arent moving up yet, but they fucking should. Price are going to probably rocket up unless this news is countered in some fashion in the next 12 hours.
Where you seeing this? Any source? Can't find anything on my Reddit subs. Thanks.

I think the specific study was if you had put $1k into each of the top 10 coins a year ago (so $10k total), your portfolio would be worth $240k now.

You're bound to have similar (if not better) results if you put a smaller amount into the top X coins every month, especially if you leave it alone for 5 or 10 years.

did that mean, the top 10 coins at the beginning of the investment, or just the ones that ended up top 10 at the end of the year?

I was kinda expecting that icos weren´t just illegal from now on in china and banned forever. They wanna put regulations into it. Which is why is why I´m waiting out the crashes of NEO and BNB. In the end this whole thing will be seen as overblown i think.

Top Bottom