• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

DeadRockstar said:
I can't find patch notes in steam either. Product updates shows nothing, but my downloads has 40.9mb downloaded for Crysis 2.
MyCrysis.com forums are talking about security updates in this one meant to let them detect and ban cheaters.

*shrug* I can't even log in to MyCrysis in the game anyway thanks to their authentication system being fucked, so I've never seen the cheating.

Facism

Facism said:
i'm using the OP config but i'm getting this shimmer on lit and distant geometry edges. What causes this?

Hate to quote myself from earlier, but any help for my shimmering edge issue? Game looks phenonmenal otherwise and runs smooth as a shot load.

Winterblink said:
MyCrysis.com forums are talking about security updates in this one meant to let them detect and ban cheaters.

*shrug* I can't even log in to MyCrysis in the game anyway thanks to their authentication system being fucked, so I've never seen the cheating.

Ah right. I can't log in to the multiplayer either, so I was hoping for progress on that front. Such a ridiculous problem, being screwed at the first hurdle.

Alextended said:
My steam said "has finished downloading Crysis 2" a while ago, but I don't see news for any patch. Were any bugs fixed or anything or was it just being dumb?
The game was patched for a few minutes to 1.2, but then reverted back to 1.1 in another patch.

I'm guessing the patch went up earlier than they expected?

Kyaw

This game needed more of those AT-ST walker type enemies. The ending missions would have been better with them.

the_prime_mover said:
Finished SP - overall a fun experience though the AI is horrible and the last few levels are actually kind of boring. I really felt that the cinematic moments were lacking and some of the transition points were very slow to trigger resulting in a lot of just standing around waiting for things to move forward. The story is pretty sloppy but better than many other recent FPS entries I suppose. Gunplay was solid and the mini "sandbox" is a nice change (for consoles) though I miss the more open experience of Crysis.

MP - fuck what a joke this is. Here we are 5+ years into the generation and high profile developers still can't write decent net code? I suppose the maps are o.k. and the suit powers seem like a nice enough twist on the COD formula, but lag and hit detection are among the worst I have seen (discounting Socom 4 as it is in Beta) - 360 version here. I don't think I have stuck around for more than a few full matches because often times I can not kill someone regardless of how much I shoot them. Then the killcam shows them not even hitting me but still getting the kill. Real poor showing, Crytek.

This year has been a real let down for high profile FPS games and it doesn't seem like anyone out there has what it takes to make a good MP experience. I'll trade this in and wait for a large price drop for the PC version.
I've been in love with the MP ever since the demo - and couldn't wait to jump in when the full game released, but I'm definitely feeling disappointment lately.

The actual gameplay, perks/classes and levels are all very well designed - among my favourite MP games ever. However the game is fucking awful at choosing a decent host. I have consistently hosted 12 player Australian lobbies with everyone at 3-4 bar ping. However it picks some wanker with 3rd world Internet, let's everyone get away with bullshit kills (watching yourself get melee'd from miles away on killcam is beyond irritating), then attempts to migrate host but always manages to lose connection.

When the game is working fine, it's just awesome fun and it was part of the reason I've been recommending the MP to any of my friends who are into COD - however I've told them not to rush into buying the game now because the matchmaking is in serious need of help. I'll keep playing the MP, still enjoying the 1/4 matches that work well but I certainly hope they fix this shit soon.

MickeyKnox said:
Oh great, the update nuked my single player profile so I can't access my saves
Horrible. Do you think it has anything to do with your epic config file? Because I'm just about to use it for the first time

Heavy said:
Horrible. Do you think it has anything to do with your epic config file? Because I'm just about to use it for the first time

It's just an autoexec cfg,it automatically executes the console commands you put in it when you boot up the game.

Even if the game for some bizarre reason wouldn't load his saves anymore (it's just console commands, not like he's replacing anything in the levels or changing a TOD that would make his save stop working for the modified map) , removing the autoexec.cfg would boot the game up like normal and it would still work.

But again, a simple config doesn't modify any game files, there is no reason for the saves to stop working.
Just like changing the ingame detail settings wouldn't stop your save from working either.

Man

Really enjoying this.
Playing for the first time and on Veteran difficulty.

Every checkpoint area becomes kinda like the 'rooms' in the original MGS.
Memorable pockets of fun but with full freedom within them, you get the urge to explore every one in detail.

Tom Penny

I hope to god they somehow patch the A.I. I really liked the SP campaign but it cannot reach greatness with guys walking into walls, twitching and can't move, getting stuck on shit.

Dennis

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
Ugh. What's with the giant pics?
LOL is this your first time in the Crysis 2 thread?

I post small pics - people bitch they are downsampled

I post large pics - people bitch they are too big

DennisK4 said:
I have to hand it to you, I didn't think it was possible to snap a shot in this game that didn't include stuff that's been blown up, in the process of blowing up, or covered by bits and pieces of previously blown up stuff.

5577586847_2e81890cea_o.jpg

5578169300_e20788c8c4_o.jpg

Gritesh

TheOctagon said:
Massive Pics

Looks like they used the same ambulance in both your pictures, one just has a fire doodad in the front seat.

Coincidence that the two images you displayed both have the ambulance in them?

It's the same ambulance. Steve Martin's been giving John Candy a lift in it throughout the entire game.

Did you notice they've also used the exact same boat from the original Crysis?

Facism

Heavy said:
Is this the shimmering you're talking about (see aliens)

I'm getting shimmer on any straight edges that receives any sort of strong illumination. In darker ares there seems to be no issue, but in sunlight or any sort of bright lighting every straight edge shimmers. It looks as if the edges are vibrating rapidly.

I loaded up a level with Ceph and there was no problem with shimmering on them like in your screenshot.

Heavy said:
Not at all, feel free to use it, I just found the cvars for the head bobing and I'm trying out different values to get the right feel.

It looks like what happened is that it stopped recognizing the Default profile which I had used to beat the game and do all my nanosuit upgrades but kept the second profile I had made which I haven't actually used yet. I found the saves and was able to transfer them, but it's useless since my nanosuit upgrades aren't there and opening up the weapon attachment menu crashes the game.

arena08 said:
Been doing something you shouldn't perhaps..?

and what is that supposed to mean?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The giant pics, wonderful as they are, reveal areas that have not been reached by others including myself. If anything, you could move them to the PC pics thread for people to drool over.

DenogginizerOS said:
The giant pics, wonderful as they are, reveal areas that have not been reached by others including myself. If anything, you could move them to the PC pics thread for people to drool over.
Oh come the fuck on, he's playing the game at a glacial pace. I dare say that if you're the kind of person that worries about being "spoiled" by scenic screenshots you should have either finished the game by now or just stay clear of the internet until you do.

Dennis

Banned
Crysis 2 is 2011 GOTY material. Mass Effect 3 will have to be a return to form to beat this out.

Game needs a quicksave option though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
TheOctagon said:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5227/5578169300_e20788c8c4_o.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
You've outdone yourself with this pic. The single best screenshot I've ever seen. I love that part of the game so much.

LOL at people complaining about spoilers from Dennisk4's pictures. Dude's like a quarter of the way through the game at best and nothing he's shown is too different from most of the stuff they showed prerelease.

[QUOTE=DennisK4]Crysis 2 is 2011 GOTY material. Mass Effect 3 will have to be a return to form to beat this out.

Game needs a quicksave option though.[/QUOTE]
I agree. Uncharted 3 and Mass Effect 3 are the only games I think that have a chance of topping this for me this year.

RoboPlato said:
I agree. Uncharted 3 and Mass Effect 3 are the only games I think that have a chance of topping this for me this year.
I'm with you 100%. I don't know what can top this, for me at least. Some potential semi-dark horse contenders:

Deus Ex
Dead Island (that realistic zombie survival open-world game)
Brink
From Dust (Eric Chahi)
Arkham City
Saints Row (ya never know! lol)

Then the more obvious contenders like ME3 and Skyrim.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Heavy said:
I'm with you 100%. I don't know what can top this, for me at least. Some potential semi-dark horse contenders:

Deus Ex
Dead Island (that realistic zombie survival open-world game)
Brink
From Dust (Eric Chahi)
Arkham City
Saints Row (ya never know! lol)

Then the more obvious contenders like ME3 and Skyrim.

No mention of The Witcher 2 or Risen 2, the clear prerelease GOTY winners.

It's great that the game is pretty lengthy for a shooter in 2011. Feels like i've been playing for a while and according to some guide I still have about 1/4 left. Been quite the journey.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I NEED SCISSORS said:
It's great that the game is pretty lengthy for a shooter in 2011. Feels like i've been playing for a while and according to some guide I still have about 1/4 left. Been quite the journey.
That was a pleasant surprise for me too, especially since I love shooters but I'm more of a single player guy than a multiplayer guy. I usually finish FPS in one or two sittings so it was nice to really have something meaty to dig into with this.

Added these to the OP along with a note on how to disable them:

cl_bobHeight = 0.079
cl_bobMaxHeight = 0.099
cl_bobWidth = 0.105
cl_speedToBobFactor = 0.402
cl_bobSprintMultiplier = 1.21

Took some time to dial in the right amount of bobbing to go from dolly to handhold without it being too distracting and to time the speed to the sound of the footfalls, I'm pretty happy with it but this is one of those things that will be up to personal preference.

sleepykyo

Sinatar said:
No mention of The Witcher 2 or Risen 2, the clear prerelease GOTY winners.

I would have assumed that the clear prerelease winner would be Modern Warfare 3. Though Witcher 2 or Skyrim will probably get rpg of the year.

mikeGFG

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Crysis 2 is 2011 GOTY material. Mass Effect 3 will have to be a return to form to beat this out.

Game needs a quicksave option though.

No hell no. Crysis 2 is console shooter trash, dude.

and Mass Effect 3, return to form? Mass Effect 2 was a huge improvement over ME1-- Mass Effect, a game that barely passed as a squad shooter or role playing gmae.

Right now the only GOTY contender is Dead Space 2.

Mike G.E.D. said:
No hell no. Crysis 2 is console shooter trash, dude.

and Mass Effect 3, return to form? Mass Effect 2 was a huge improvement over ME1-- Mass Effect, a game that barely passed as a squad shooter or role playing gmae.

Right now the only GOTY contender is Dead Space 2.
so_much_fail_trollcat.jpg

Nekrono

If Crysis 2 wins GOTY that's going to be like GT's 'Best Graphics' award going to CoD4 back in 2007.

Game is ok but it's not ground breaking and it will be forgotten down the road, especially when other big titles come out this year. Bulletstorm is another example of this.

People are over-hyping this game too much it's hilarious, exactly like Bulletstorm's thread.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Just finished the single player campaign and I'm pretty impressed. There were a few noticable bugs like stealth kills not working, nano points erasing and rocket launchers not respawning but despite that, I had a lot of fun with it. I know some people complaigned about the graphics and physics. I agree they're no where near as good as the original, but the game itself was a lot of fun. Single player first person shooters are a rare breed these days and it's nice to have a series that's top notch. Despite it's flaws, Crytek has delivered another knock out imo. I'll be there day one again for their next game.

scoobs

People are not wrong in saying this is GOTY contender for them... its their opinion lol. I'll probably have to get this just to stare at the god rays and touch myself

Top Bottom