• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

SapientWolf said:
The grain looks like some type of bad texture filtering. I would double check those settings Heavy. Make sure it's not using bilinear or something.
MickeyKnox said:
That looks like some kind of artifacting not the engine grain, what config are you using?
I fell asleep and couldn't reply. Here is my config:

Code:
sys_spec_shading=4
sys_spec_gameeffects=4
sys_spec_objectdetail=4
sys_spec_particles=4
sys_spec_physics=4
sys_spec_postprocessing=4
sys_spec_shadows=4
sys_spec_sound=4
sys_spec_texture=4
sys_spec_water=4
g_skipIntro=1
cl_fov=68
pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov=68
r_DrawNearFoV=68
i_mouse_accel=0
i_mouse_accel_max=100
i_mouse_smooth=0
r_motionblur=2
g_radialBlur=0
cl_zoomToggle=0
cl_crouchtoggle=1
r_ColorGrading=1
r_SSAO=1
e_shadows=1
r_HDRBloomMul=1
r_HDRBrightLevel=1
r_MultiGPU=0
r_TexMaxAnisotropy=16
g_enableInitialLoginScreen=0
r_PostMSAA=0
r_UseEdgeAA=0
r_PostMSAAEdgeFilterNV=0
r_MotionBlurShutterSpeed=0.091

+ D3DOverrider with Medium "application setting" and force triple buffering and force vsync on.

Sapient you mentioned texture filtering, I found this setting in Catalyst (moving left and right changes it to Performance and High Quality):

capture0k17.jpg

If you get real hot in Multiplayer, does the game cripple you with blurred vision? I went on a 10 kill streak (xbox), and my periphery got all blurry, like I had actually smeared Vaseline on the screen. After I finally got killed, everything went back to normal. Not sure whether I should attribute that to bugs or some kind of lame measure to cripple players on a hot streak.

MrCompletely said:
If you get real hot in Multiplayer, does the game cripple you with blurred vision? I went on a 10 kill streak (xbox), and my periphery got all blurry, like I had actually smeared Vaseline on the screen. After I finally got killed, everything went back to normal. Not sure whether I should attribute that to bugs or some kind of lame measure to cripple players on a hot streak.
It's just a glitch, happened to me once in single player (PC) after a grenade exploded near me.

Vitet said:
I'm enjoying this game a lot, but I hate this kind of cheap gameplays...

Ok i'm standing here. Let's see how high I can make that pile of corpses
One or two areas with infinite spawns doesn't bother me, I should go back to that level and screw around.

Peterthumpa

Does the "no hud" cvar disables only the arrows that show objectives and stuff, or everything, including the minimap and energy meters?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
grendelrt said:
Interesting video. I think the difference in the big Spindle, trees, and the fact cars have motion is pretty apparent. We all know NY doesnt have huts, but man were they fun to play with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDRxGxOAx0Q&hd=1
You know, it's true that Crysis 1 is still doing things that were abandoned in the sequel, but the overall visual impact you experience while playing the two games left me feeling like Crysis 2 is more impressive overall. It just looks better on a minute to minute basis.

dk_

belier said:
For some uf us is "Bug, just bug!"

Mine is on the shelf waiting for a patch...
Completed the PC version yesterday and despite some rare enemy AI hiccups I had zero bugs. I'm sorry for your problems and I'm glad I had a supreme experience.

Lighting in some of the levels is really nice.
Can't get over how crappy the AI is though, holy cow they are retarded and buggy.

Runs okay on my 4870 everything maxed, 25-50 fps depending on what area I am in.
Which again makes me wonder what this game could have looked like if it was made to run on something other than 3+ year old pc hardware with lighting dialed to 11 and everything else dialed down.

Gaogaogao

I dont look forward to reading this thread again to learn how to fix this game when I get around to buying it. ati performance is also a bummer.

GANGSTERKILLER said:
c2lights1ynic.gif

The Unsafe Haven level is out of this world! The most jaw-dropping lighting effects i've ever seen on my console. CryEngine 3 is no joke.

Console!?!?!?
The game will look like this on my 360?

This game brings me memories of Duke Nukem. Here are some small details I noticed:

-Probably the easiest one to come by. Use speed near those traffics cameras to get a traffic ticket.
-Bullets shells are physicals objects. They correctly bounce of surfaces and even make tiny splashes when falling into water.
-In the first open area, you can use the telescope to get a vista of the statue of liberty.
-Near the begging when the tutorial shows the use of camouflage, there’s an area with old cannons, its possible to fire the far one and kill the 2 guards.
-Knock a hydrant. Water pressure propels objects or even Alcatraz.
-ATM machines drop cash.
-To quickly detach a mounted gun do so using shield. It just takes Alcatraz 1 try to grab, it takes 3 in any other suit mode.
-Initiating the slide down a slope prolongs it as far as the slopes reaches.
-It seems possible to use car doors as shields. But I haven’t tested completely.
-You can shoot but can´t kill the infected citizens, this is quiet retarded.
-There are more swimming animations than in Crysis 1.
-In Gould´s (sp?) apartment you can use the telescope -even zoom with the triggers- and use the Microscope. But theres not much to see, kind of pointless.
-Some objects Alcatraz can interact with: Monitors & TVs, Microwave ovens, soda machines, small cameras, phones, copy machines, printers. And like Neuromancer points out Water Coolers, tosters also.
-The game doesn´t let you reload if you fired just one bullet.
-In camouflage mode, light sources cause a sort of rainbow effect when looked through the gun for example.
-You can squash the small bug like aliens by hitting the melee button just at the right time. Plus when killed they drop 20 nano catalyst.
-A step back from Crysis 1, not all lights can be shooted out :(
-The intro video presents the HUD been projected directly to the eyes, then why the HUD bobs like if it was been projected in the visor?
-When an enemy is grabbed you can use mele button to perform other executions.
-Cars have a basic suspension, this could be easy appreciated by shooting the tires. Also the doors can be shooted out.
-Wind affects the smoke direction and the heat coming out of the gun when fired.
-Shield cancels the "drop to the ground" animation when an alien hits. It just propels Alcatraz backwards.
-An enemy shot that lands near the visor splashes it acording to what surface it hits, so far noticed dust, water and mud. But it doesn´t make sense that the player sees Alcatraz blood in the visor.
-Some obvious ones about the visors but sometimes missed. You can combine combat visor and nanovision. Enemies become marked in the map as soon as they enter line of sight trough the combat visor, its not obligatory to tag them.

Those are some of the ones I could notice.

MANGOD

Banned
My only beef with crysis 2 is how retarded the ai can be at times! The other being the major beef I had with far cry 2 in that the enemy can be alerted to your exact position and you aint even shown your face, cloaked or not. Apart from that the game is pretty stellar. Wish I had a pc to play it on as the console version(360) is off the chart in places.

Refreshment.01 said:
This game brings me memories of Duke Nukem. Here are some small details I noticed:

-Probably the easiest one to come by. Use speed near those traffics cameras to get a traffic ticket.
-Bullets shells are physicals objects. They correctly bounce of surfaces and even make tiny splashes when falling into water.
-In the first open area, you can use the telescope to get a vista of the statue of liberty.
-Near the begging when the tutorial shows the use of camouflage, there’s an area with old cannons, its possible to fire the far one and kill the 2 guards.
-ATM machines drop cash.
-To quickly detach a mounted gun do so using shield. It just takes Alcatraz 1 try to grab, it takes 3 in any other suit mode.

-It seems possible to use car doors as shields. But I haven’t tested completely.

Wow I'll have to try some of these. Also I've noticed you can interact with toasters, water coolers and vending machines, and carry around those little blacklights (there's one at the very beginning of the game on a table but it runs out after a little while.)

Quick question about the traffic cameras, what do they look like? I've gotten a few tickets but always by accident.

dk_

Refreshment.01 said:

'Cool things to do'

Haha, great! :)

Neuromancer said:
Wow I'll have to try some of these. Also I've noticed you can interact with toasters, water coolers and vending machines, and carry around those little blacklights (there's one at the very beginning of the game on a table but it runs out after a little while.)

Quick question about the traffic cameras, what do they look like? I've gotten a few tickets but always by accident.
Like any normal camera supported by a light post and near traffic lights. Another cool thing about them is that the flash lights dark areas. I'' edit my previous post with some more details.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Was patch 1.2 released?

And damn, this game looks phenomenal in motion. I definitely prefer it to Crysis even if textures look worse.

Motion blur + PSAA + 40-60 fps + bokeh = the most cinematic feel ever. I wonder how it looks in 3D.

subversus said:
I wonder how it looks in 3D.

A bit "flat" I must say.

Even with depth settings maxed, it isn't as impressive as other games have been.

But it's a very clever implementation, since no visual effect gets lost in the process.

And it looks good. Especially after you've altered the fov.

Miggytronz

via Crysis Facebook page:
Today we released the first of a number of security updates. Accounts that we have identified as exploiting an unfair advantage have been reset and if the activity persists, they will be banned permanently. If you find yourself being kicked, it is because our systems have detected that you are cheating. We will continue to update the anti-cheat software in Crysis 2 and strive for a cheat-free community.

LQX

Amazing-mazing game and it also looks good. Much of this game on the PC looks like the prerendered CGI you would find in a console game.

They really did NYC justice as its the most I have felt I was part of the city in any game. The city in contrast to all the surrounding areas of trees and water really worked well. This game is proof why many games and even movies work so well with a setting in NY.

Also they seem to have setup the ending for the next game to to take place in Europe so it will will be interesting to see some Europeans city done in the same vain and fidelity as NY which it cannot be said enough how good of job they did.

Few minor gripes though....

-Trains and buses did not look like NYC buses.

-Loved the fact so much of the game takes place in the day and in open areas so I kind of hated when they took things inside and in tunnels.

-Such a cool suit but not badass weapons to go with it? They could have done better on the weapons and at least have the aliens drop some of their weapons once killed.

-Aliens could have used some more variety.

-Stealth breaks the game by the end...but I honestly did not mind much. If i had stealth suit I would run past aliens also.

Played it on a E8500, 8Gigs of ram and GTX460 at 1920x1200 maxed and it ran pretty damn smooth. Was not 60fps but still felt and looked great. Cannot wait to replay it on better system but with my current system able to handle it so well I might not upgrade at all unless BF3 gives me problems.

Refreshment.01 said:

-ATM machines drop cash.
-You can shoot but can´t kill the infected citizens, this is quiet retarded.
-In Gould´s (sp?) apartment you can use the telescope -even zoom with the triggers- and use the Microscope. But theres not much to see, kind of pointless.
-Some objects Alcatraz can interact with: Monitors & TVs, Microwave ovens, soda machines, small cameras, phones, copy machines, printers. And like Neuromancer points out Water Coolers, tosters also.
-The game doesn´t let you reload if you fired just one bullet.
-In camouflage mode, light sources cause a sort of rainbow effect when looked through the gun for example.
-You can squash the small bug like aliens by hitting the melee button just at the right time.
-A step back from Crysis 1, not all lights can be shooted out :(
-The intro video presents the HUD been projected directly to the eyes, then why the HUD bobs like if it was been projected in the visor?
-When an enemy is grabbed you can use melle button to perform other executions.

Also, try to powerkick open some doors that you wouldn't otherwise be able to interact with. Had to do that to collect a souvenir.

Nizz

As much as I'm loving the game, some bugs during a recent playthrough kind of pissed me off (PS3). I was fighting a Pinger last night and I swear the rocket launcher still had one rocket left according to the HUD. I aimed, de-cloaked and hit R1... nothing. Seemed like it happened a couple of times.

I also finished my third playthrough of the game on Veteran, yet the Trophy for finishing the game on that difficulty didn't unlock. Yet when I check the campaign progress it shows that I completed all the chapters on Veteran? WTF. Plus little things like a soldier spinning in circles in one spot, lol. It was a funny thing to see :D

I'm still loving the game though. Something else, I went to Gamersyde and they had videos of PC gameplay to download. A 720p/60fps video. I downloaded onto my console and I watched it on my tv....

What a revelation! The game looks so much cleaner. And just watching the same game I've played through moving at a solid 60fps? Damn...damn. If next-gen consoles can give me games looking like Crysis 2 moving at 60fps I'd seriously be satisfied.

Refreshment.01 said:
Did not know about this, thanks! I detach the turrets every time I see one because they're really satisfying to use. Also didn't know the hydrant water can propel you.

dark10x

The game doesn´t let you reload if you fired just one bullet.
If you notice, the game will show the ammo a "+1" next to it if you reload without emptying your magazine. I assume this represents the bullet that was still in the chamber when you switched mags. Nice little touch.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I'm really temped to double dip and get this on the PC as well, I really need to give my GTX570 a workout before it goes out date, it's done nothing since I've whacked in my machine but browse the web the poor bugger.

lowrider007 said:
I'm really temped to double dip and get this on the PC as well, I really need to give my GTX570 a workout before it goes out date, it's done nothing since I've whacked in my machine but browse the web.
Why get it on a console when you have a GTX570? Insanity!

dark10x

Gaogaogao said:
I dont look forward to reading this thread again to learn how to fix this game when I get around to buying it. ati performance is also a bummer.
ATI performance? What are you talking about. I'm running a 5870 and see a rock solid 60 fps 99% of the time on Very High. What's amazing is that even giant explosions near the camera typically have no effect on the framerate, which is very rare in most games. It stays remarkably solid throughout the game.

There were only a couple spots where the framerate would drops into the 50s, but I can count those areas on one hand and dropping details a bit fixed that completely.

So, as far as I'm concerned, game runs beautifully on ATI cards.

Now, if you want to do Crossfire perhaps there are issues. Dual GPU setups are nothing but trouble, though. Can't stand the way they look even when working properly.

If I found this game for cheap on PS3 sometime down the line, I might pick it up simply because 1) I love the game and 2) I'd enjoy seeing how well a console could cope with it. I certainly wouldn't want to buy it for full price, but if I ran across a $20 copy (or less) sometime I might check it out.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Currently sort of stuck on the first 'boss'...I guess maybe?
helicopter fight in apartment.

I'm playing on the second highest diff. and while it's not a huge problem, I keep getting slaughtered by the infinitely spawning mobs when trying to aim at chopper. At 3-4 attempts and I gave up for the night. I'm sure I'll whip through it next time, but did anyone else get a bit miffed at this sequence?

I do wish you could still cap dead bodies, kinda takes you out of the moment after a heated gunfight to see your bullets or butt of your gun completely clip through limp aliens/soldiers. Don't turn those physics off!

Also, after spending all of Crysis 1/Warhead doing the 'stealth' play. I've decided to focus entirely on Vanquish-esque bullet blitzes this time. Gotta say, the guns feel really fucking good and it is extremely satisfying just blowing the hell out of everyone. Stealth worked really well on my Delta runs in C1, but I feel I really missed out the chaotic gun duels. I wasn't digging this game much in the first hour going full stealth as it felt too familiar, but being Dudebro really livened up the experience!

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Heavy said:

Truth is I like to get most of my games on the console first and just enjoy them as they are, no worrying about settings etc, just me and the pure mechanics, also my surround sound set-up plays a big part in my decision, sound is very important to me, and then if I really like the game I normally get it on the PC further down the road when it's much cheaper, the higher fidelity GFX on the PC become an extra incentive to reply the game, part of it is also technical curiosity, I enjoy experiencing the difference in fidelity.

It's just with C2 I think that curiosity has got the better of me and I not sure I can wait for a price drop on the PC.

Truant said:
Didn't kill a single enemy besides the ones that are scripted during the entire last 30 minutes. Stealth all the way.

Did you not find it a little unsatisfying doing it like that?, I actually skipped past quite a few enemies on the last level myself but then went back to kill them all so that I felt a sense of accomplishment, it felt too easy otherwise.

Pachimari

Just got the review copy for the PlayStation 3. How many hours is this one again?

Have noticed weird AI behaviour and more bugs than I usually notice in games in such a short time, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

I'll play it all day. =)

StuBurns

Banned
Anastacio said:
Just got the review copy for the PlayStation 3. How many hours is this one again?

Have noticed weird AI behaviour and more bugs than I usually notice in games in such a short time, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

I'll play it all day. =)
On normal I'd say 6 to 8.

Just finished it, clocking in at about 10 hours on normal.

As somebody who was extremely vocal about my cynicism with this game I have to say it turned out a lot better than I expected. Crytek definitely fucked up with the PC support/PR, but at the heart of the game is still the Crysis I know and love.

Overall I still don't think it's better than Crysis, because although when it's great it feels pretty much the same, I didn't find myself being amazed constantly like I still am when I go back to Crysis. I always felt the urge to explore the city more, especially when
it was night and we got to Times Square
and the fact that I couldn't was constantly frustrating. Whilst the city was wonderfully crafted and there were amazing iconic locations recreated and wonderful set pieces within them, the obvious boundaries that I didn't see in Crysis just felt more restrictive. It did have the Cloverfield vibe though which really worked in its favour.

The end was pretty anti-climatic I felt, as
I was looking forward to going through the foliage of Central Park before it rose to the sky and just had me redo the previous task of destroying those alien pilliars.

I still feel that they got rid a lot of things that made Crysis so great:
- No quicksaving.
- No picking up animation for ammo/guns, instead you just run over them.
- Gimped speed (even if it is as quick, it doesn't feel it)
- No prone.
- Less destructability, or at least none to the scale of Crysis' huts.
- Vehicles were useless.
Etc etc

8gb RAM
Phenom X4 955 @ 3.6ghz
6950 2gb unlocked to 6970

Solid 60fps @ 2048x1152 throughout on max settings with v sync on. Pretty amazing really. Dropped to mid 40s when I was recording with FRAPS. Looked utterly beautiful, so props to them there. Can't wait to see what modders do. DX11 with some of those bells and whistles would've been nice, though.

Basically, I can't fault the game as a whole, but I find it easy to nitpick. I think in general Crysis was just a game that appealed to me more on some fundamental levels and the changes were always going to annoy me.

I'm definitely going to go back to it but only when somebody figures out an easy way of quicksaving. I want to experiment with a lot of the early locations and see how much I can do.

Sh1ner

Finished it, the Cepth get hardcore near the end, especially the finale fight, 5 of them was a bit overkill on the second highest difficulty, I only won because the AI bugged out on me giving me enough time to dispatch two.

I liked how the game ended, I wish the story was less confusing in the first half, in the second half it has a very clear direction.

The game really picked up for me when you head for the Prism, stealth killed my way completely to Hargreaves. Felt like an uber assassin with the silenced Nova.

Also noticed I had bought the suit modules but hadn't had them activated until the Prism area. Ran into the 0 nano points bug as well, lost 8k nano points and then got stuck on 0 for the rest of the game.

Luckily I bought nano recharge, mobility, and stealth enhance beforehand. Shame I couldn't buy the stealth tracker before facing the last 5.

At the end of it all, it reminds me of Crysis 1, Game manages alot of great things but fails on alot of others. I can't wait for the editor to see what we can do with the engine. I also wait for the PC edition by the community of crysis 2. :D

JoeBoy101

lowrider007 said:
Truth is I like to get most of my games on the console first and just enjoy them as they are, no worrying about settings etc, just me and the pure mechanics, also my surround sound set-up plays a big part in my decision, sound is very important to me, and then if I really like the game I normally get it on the PC further down the road when it's much cheaper, the higher fidelity GFX on the PC become an extra insensitive to reply the game, part of it is also technical curiosity, I enjoy experiencing the difference in fidelity.

It's just with C2 I think that curiosity has got the better of me and I not sure I can wait for a price drop on the PC.

A) Incentive. Sorry, not usually a prig about spelling but that one annoyed me for some reason.

and

B) I know audiophile GAF will burn my nuts for this but:

logitech-g35-headset.jpg

Logitech G35

Does a really good job with surround sound in my experience. Loved it with Dead Space 2 especially, but then Visceral Games is apparently to sound what Crytek is to graphics.

Top Bottom