• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Clott

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Shogun 2 already took the GOTY throne (for now).

I Agree, the only things that have a real shot at dethroning it will be Uncharted 3 or the new Elder Scroll.

Am I forgetting something?

Fake edit: is DX11 in yet? I am holding of till then.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Nekrono said:
If Crysis 2 wins GOTY that's going to be like GT's 'Best Graphics' award going to CoD4 back in 2007.

Game is ok but it's not ground breaking and it will be forgotten down the road, especially when other big titles come out this year. Bulletstorm is another example of this.

People are over-hyping this game too much it's hilarious, exactly like Bulletstorm's thread.
What titles are breaking new ground in the AAA retail FPS space these days?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
scoobs said:
People are not wrong in saying this is GOTY contender for them... its their opinion lol. I'll probably have to get this just to stare at the god rays and touch myself
It's not everyday that a shooter comes out like this. They really delivered a great single player campaign imo. It just so happens that 2011 will have quite a few - Killzone 3, Crysis 2, Portal 2, Rage, etc.

No shooter will win goty. If there's any justice then it will go to ME3 ONLY IF they make it more like an actual rpg, or maybe elder scrolls....or maybe deus ex if they ditch the glow. Fuck there's some good shit coming out still.

Animator

Its early in the year but crysis is my fps goty so far. Excellent sp and mp. Especially after getting bored to death from lame single player campaigns like black ops.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Clott said:
I Agree, the only things that have a real shot at dethroning it will be Uncharted 3 or the new Elder Scroll.

I swear GOTY awards are decided by January on hype alone.

Nizz

MadOdorMachine said:
It's not everyday that a shooter comes out like this. They really delivered a great single player campaign imo. It just so happens that 2011 will have quite a few - Killzone 3, Crysis 2, Portal 2, Rage, etc.
I agree with you. I've played through the campaign three times already. I don't get tired trying to figure out new ways to tackle situations. I haven't had a chance to try Killzone 3 other than the demo but that demo was a lot of fun.

Portal 2 looks like it's going to be really special, and I can't wait to get my hands on Rage. Battlefield 3 could really be something too. But so far I'm really digging Crysis 2. I'll admit the MP demo disappointed me. First it released a week before the game was out (PS3) then the performance wasn't great.

But impressions on the SP were positive and I'm glad I didn't let the bad demo turn me away from the game itself. I really like it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
purple cobra said:
I agree with you. I've played through the campaign three times already. I don't get tired trying to figure out new ways to tackle situations. I haven't had a chance to try Killzone 3 other than the demo but that demo was a lot of fun.

Portal 2 looks like it's going to be really special, and I can't wait to get my hands on Rage. Battlefield 3 could really be something too. But so far I'm really digging Crysis 2. I'll admit the MP demo disappointed me. First it released a week before the game was out (PS3) then the performance wasn't great.

But impressions on the SP were positive and I'm glad I didn't let the bad demo turn me away from the game itself. I really like it.
Same here. I was kind of down on this game, especially how the PS3 version was going to turn out, before I bought it but I needed something to play and I had some gift cards. I was totally blindsided by what quickly became one of my favorite shooters ever.

Can someone tell me how much more I have left to go?

Im upto the part where:

Its night time and Im on that island after jumping out the back of that damanged plane thing

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
TheVampire said:
Can someone tell me how much more I have left to go?

Im upto the part where:

Its night time and Im on that island after jumping out the back of that damanged plane thing
About 3 hours or so.

image001xux6.jpg

lol yeah

it was actually raining in that pic but this particular ground was under a canopy so I don't think it got too wet, maybe it did. This weekend I'm going to make a post with the best textures I see.

Clott

Heavy said:
lol yeah

it was actually raining in that pic but this particular ground was under a canopy so I don't think it got too wet, maybe it did. This weekend I'm going to make a post with the best textures I see.

Looking forward to it! I am a huge sucker for amazing texture work.

Rengoku

So I finally finished the game tonight. Total play time was 9 hours 9 minutes.

I must say, my impressions are quite mixed. Played the game on PC, with an i7 and 5870 on Hardcore settings. I was able to get 60 fps most of the time, with the framerate rarely dipping to low 40s.

+ Really well optimized, I'm impressed how well the game ran, certainly not the system killer like it's predecessor.
+ Incredible lighting system, some of the best special effects, smoke, explosions I've ever seen. Night time scenes + their lighting engine = Goddamn!
+ Fantastic set pieces.
+ Overall level design was excellent, with many different ways to tackle a situation.
+ Great selection of weapons available, and with ammunition supplies nearby most of the time, it allows for lots of experimentation.
+ Good variety of enemies, though I would have liked for them to introduce
those cloaked aliens
earlier in the game rather then only in that last chapter.
+ Alien designs were very cool, coupled with their animation, they made for some pretty badass looking enemies.

- Texture work seems like it's been lifted from the console version or something. Really quite poor at times when up close. Granted they did need to create a larger variety of textures for this game compared to Crysis 1 or Warhead.
- Vaseline filter seriously needs to go, I only figured out how to suppress it with the cfg file about 2/3rds through the campaign.
- DOF is quite excessive, and while it gives the game a pretty cool cinematic feel, it blurs out too much. Sometimes I'll want to admire the new york city skyline, but can't really because most of it is blurred out.
- Respawning enemies were probably my biggest gripe with this game. The fact that in quite a few cases they kept spawning right behind me! You need to hide the spawn points better Crytek.
- AI routines for the most part suck. Maybe it was the difficulty I chose (I picked normal). I saw too many enemies as well as comrades get stuck in certain spots on the map.
- While the stealth option was pretty cool, the cloak ability coupled with the dumb AI made it way too easy to exploit. It really felt like cheating.
- The story was decent, not the best, and the pacing was somewhat odd at times. I felt that the story needed a main villain with a climatic end boss battle - maybe I'm just old school :p
- the COD style 'briefings' didn't help tie the chapters together very well. And the few prerendered cutscenes were simply awful blocky low bitrate mess.

Maybe I'm nitpicking too much, but this was probably one of those occasions where I set my expectations abit high due to the hype. Overall, it was an enjoyable experience, I got to see what I hope will be the norm for next gen console graphics and I had some pretty amazing intensive firefights along the way. Its not quite GOTY worthy imo due to a couple issues I had, but its certainly a game I'm glad I played, and would highly recommend to others.

scitek

Nekrono said:
If Crysis 2 wins GOTY that's going to be like GT's 'Best Graphics' award going to CoD4 back in 2007.

Game is ok but it's not ground breaking and it will be forgotten down the road, especially when other big titles come out this year. Bulletstorm is another example of this.

People are over-hyping this game too much it's hilarious, exactly like Bulletstorm's thread.

Crysis 2 is way better than Bulletstorm IMO.

aeolist

Banned
Rengoku said:
- AI routines for the most part suck. Maybe it was the difficulty I chose (I picked normal). I saw too many enemies as well as comrades get stuck in certain spots on the map.
- While the stealth option was pretty cool, the cloak ability coupled with the dumb AI made it way too easy to exploit. It really felt like cheating.
It doesn't matter what difficulty you play on, the AI is fucking stupid. It makes the game too easy.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I found a cool way to take out a couple of guys early in the game. After the cloak introduction, when the two CELL guys are talking you can move over to the far right side of the room and fire one of the old school cannons into them.

sleepykyo

DennisK4 said:
LOL is this your first time in the Crysis 2 thread?

I post small pics - people bitch they are downsampled

I post large pics - people bitch they are too big

Your Stalker pics were more interesting anyway.

edit: @Heavy, PS3 leaderboards are at 170k.

Don't know if this has been posted, but for the people who have the retail copy and are using crossfire, enabling vsync gets rid of the flickering issue.

Clott said:

Fake edit: is DX11 in yet? I am holding of till then.

Mass Effect 3, Portal 2, L.A. Noire and Deus Ex: Human Revolution are all potential GOTY contenders.

kamspy

I can't stop playing this game. I've played through on normal, then about halfway through on normal an decided to start over Post Human. Around 20 hours since launch.

Was one of those patches targeted at the nano catalyst bug?

jkanownik

I want to love this game, but poor matchmaking in MP and inconsistent AI in the SP are ruining it for me.

This game has the highest percentage of red/yellow bar players of any game I have ever seen. It's even more frustrating because right after it launched it was much better, so I know the potential when it works.

The AI in SP is so inconsistent that I'm having trouble rationalizing the 86% metacritic score. If the AI worked even decently this game would be amazing, but the AI is broken on so many different levels (sitting in place, ignoring stuff happening around them, the ability to see through walls, spotting me when I'm cloaked, spotting me across levels when they are just a dot on my screen). I'm tempted to drop the difficulty down to Easy just so I can pretend that the strategies I'm implementing are working correctly.

conman

Picked this up yesterday. Played the first few hours. I'm definitely in the camp of "whoa, this is way better than I expected" when it comes to the SP. I missed out on the first Crysis thanks to a horribly outdated PC, so this world is totally new to me. Love the story, setting, and mechanics. One of the best singleplayer FPS games I've played this generation (HL2: Ep2, Mirror's Edge, and Bioshock would be the others).

But, man, you all weren't kidding about the enemy AI. It's horrible. By only my second or third enemy encounter, I was already seeing enemies running blindly into barriers for no reason. Seems to happen to about half of any given group of enemy AI. Almost ruins an otherwise amazing experience and keeps it from true greatness.

Kevin

I'm hoping a few good patches will fix a lot of the bugs and glitches including the A.I. problems. I am also hoping to hear something about the DX11 patch soon.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Man this game controls like buttah. They really nailed the cover firing mechanics for a FPS compared to games like Killzone 2-3. More games need to adopt this.

Playing on PC and what a smooth game so far. Really enjoying this one a lot.

That gif of the dude sliding and shooting the barrel blowing up the guy was awesome. I just did the same thing at the same part lol.

strata8

DennisK4 said:
Am I the only one who thinks this area (and the whole Road Rage level in general) is just ugly? (great shots, though). It honestly seems rushed, and the time of day looks like that default ugly time of day when you make a new map in Crysis Sandbox.

Truant

Game was decent. A few things bothered me.

- Skyboxes were weird. Lots of stuff happening in your immediate surroundings, but beyond that it's just empty. Looks pretty scary, actually.

- Transitions between are like old school Doom. Terrible, almost like they ran out of time.

- Should give gamers using a pad an option to hold down a button, like LB, to bring up the radial menu.

- Enemies are retarded.

- C4 is seriously overpowered. Made the bosses and larger enemies easy.

strata8

So here's FDR in real life:
new-york-lower-east-side-the-bowery-new-york-city-ny224.jpg

Not that much they could have done to it, apart from replacing the crappy filler objects that they put in. Seems like a really uninteresting area to base a level around.

EDIT: I really wish they hadn't focused solely on New York. It's due to disc space limitations, I guess.

Rengoku said:
- Respawning enemies were probably my biggest gripe with this game. The fact that in quite a few cases they kept spawning right behind me! You need to hide the spawn points better Crytek.
This was a huge gripe for you? It probably happened a few times total in the entire game, and it's like a 10-12 hour game. And remember there are reinforcements that come in after they shoot the flares.

Ok so we got 170k for the PS3 version (although supermack says it's a lot more right now?)... anybody have the 360 leaderboard number?

Im curious about people claiming been seen while cloacked. Let's gets this out of the way:

1) You cant walk 2 meters directly in the line of sight of an enemy while camouflage is on and expect they dont see you.
2) Even with camouflage on, crouching reduces the chance of being detected.
3)Foots steps make noise, theres a perk to reduce sound.

Also use this rule: Always try to play modern shooters 1 difficulty above normal. You'll thank me for this one.

Truant said:
Game was decent. A few things bothered me.

- Should give gamers using a pad an option to hold down a button, like LB, to bring up the radial menu.
What for? This is definitly the best control scheme for a game pad on any shooter. If anyone knows of one that does it better please mention it cause i really want to know :D

Only think i found really stupid about the scheme is the abscence of a dedicated slot for pistols.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Should give gamers using a pad an option to hold down a button, like LB, to bring up the radial menu.
Why?! You can do everything that menu offers with single buttons presses already. Adding it would be redundant and require giving up another button.

There wasn't enough C4 for my liking. I love the stuff. Sticking it on enemies cloaked, barrels before chucking them into a large group of enemies, planting it on their patrol path.

I'd do a runthrough of the game with infinite C4 for sure.

dyergram

I may be a little late here but am I missing something or is the pc version sort of bad? I mean iv got it set to extreme is that the highest setting the graphics seem kinda rubbish, im finding it real difficult to force myself to play this game, seems really overrated right now.

Top Bottom