• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Never felt such a disconnect between input and on screen result in an mp fps before.

The hit detection and netcode just does whatever the hell it wants.
Keep dying 2 seconds after making it around a corner, people killing me in 0,5 seconds when their crosshair didn't come even near my character once.

Random headshots when I'm not aiming for the head, not hitting anything when I am.
Almost every single killcam makes me cringe, how did this shit make it past QA.

How do you turn off the bloom and vaseline filter in mp mode btw? Worked fine in the demo (bloom) but the final game seems to be ignoring my cfg in mp mode.

Glad I don't consider crysis a game that you get for the mp, because holy cow is it bad.

Edit: just played another 2 rounds: pump 4-5 bursts into someones head, they spray and eventually kill me.
3 seconds after they die (just respawned) I get the kill message...
This happens a lot too.
I also keep seeing myself on killcams in positions that I left seconds earlier.
Yet the ingame ping counter claims I have 19-24 ping on average.

So bad, no words for it.

Stallion Free said:
The game is as good as Dennis says.

Signed,
Stallion Free
Co-signed,

Neuromancer (360 version)

raphier said:
Meh. Cutscene animations are terrible. The body language is completelly deranged from their facial part and doesn't fit. Some of voice-overs feel like they try to sound cool at times, it hurts my soul. And jesus, why is everybody so smart they know my exact doing and position, even when they are about thousands of miles away.
In most games I would agree about this and it always annoys me, but in this game it makes sense as your suit is rigged up to a system that lets the 'operator' (Gould at the beginning of the game) know not only where you are but also he can see exactly what you're doing.

Dennis

Banned
I am playing Post-human without HUD and Christ, this is hard!

Also not getting all the AI hate. The main issue for me is that they do not seem to understand what a grenade is really. Other than that there is no major problem. Oh, and they seem to have the ability to see and shoot accurately from 30 miles away.....

DangerStepp

Heavy said:
I'm with you 100%. I don't know what can top this, for me at least. Some potential semi-dark horse contenders:

Deus Ex
Dead Island (that realistic zombie survival open-world game)
Brink
From Dust (Eric Chahi)
Arkham City
Saints Row (ya never know! lol)

Then the more obvious contenders like ME3 and Skyrim.
I think the only game on there that qualifies for "dark horse" certification is Saints Row. Okay, and maybe From Dust, but that's only because I don't know WTF that is.

derFeef

So, with my system (PhenomII X4 3,8ghz, 6970, 4gb) I should get smooth 40-60fps at 1920x1200 with Extreme, right? But it is still slowing down at times below 30fps, even if nothing special is happening. Is this normal, because guys writing here they get "cosntant 60fps" with worse hardware.

DennisK4 said:
Also not getting all the AI hate. The main issue for me is that they do not seem to understand what a grenade is really. Other than that there is no major problem. Oh, and they seem to have the ability to see and shoot accurately from 30 miles away.....
Yeah, no problems at all there ;P

I think the worst part may be the sound of the cell trooper footsteps when they're stuck on something. Its pretty loud and every time I hear those clanking futile footsteps I have to take a moment to sigh, shake my head, reload and put the guys out of their pathfinding misery.

geeko

derFeef said:
So, with my system (PhenomII X4 3,8ghz, 6970, 4gb) I should get smooth 40-60fps at 1920x1200 with Extreme, right? But it is still slowing down at times below 30fps, even if nothing special is happening. Is this normal, because guys writing here they get "cosntant 60fps" with worse hardware.

Yeah, your computer will run this nicely.

DennisK4 said:

The AI just really is bad. They can shoot and spot a person fine usually fine, but the AI has lot of issue with pathfinding and making stupid decision. AI constantly tosses grenades at itself or it's allies. Enemies jump out and take cover on the wrong side of obstacles. The Ceph especially seem to often when jumping around get stuck on terrain where they will just be running against a wall. Other times the AI seems blind as a bat or just locks up entirely at points and will stand still. In areas with multiple waves, enemies will often just run at you in a straight line practically instead of attempting to flank or find another path creating narrow killzones and piles of bodies.

Got my Nano edition, finally :D

lbe1K.jpg

Didn't realize how big the box was until I held it in my hand. Now I've to look for a place in my flat to keep it properly lol

Havok

Just went through again on Super Soldier on the 360 version. The game is ridiculously easy to blow through with all of the stealth upgrades, it only took me around four and a half hours. I really like the game, but man, having to sit through unskippable first person cutscene/story sequences really kills the replay value for me.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Havok said:
Just went through again on Super Soldier on the 360 version. The game is ridiculously easy to blow through with all of the stealth upgrades, it only took me around four and a half hours. I really like the game, but man, having to sit through unskippable first person cutscene/story sequences really kills the replay value for me.

How are the achievements? Kinda regret not getting the 360 version now over the PC. Unless they are skewed heavilly on MP...

Havok said:
Hmm I may have to give this a shot.

Neuromancer said:
Hmm I may have to give this a shot.
Nano Regen + Advanced Stealth + Advanced Mobility turns you into the goddamned Predator. At that point all the enemies should just drop their weapons and go home. They don't stand a chance.

Stitch

Gold Member
finally completed it. what a stupid ending.
did kojima work on this? lol

but cool that you got so many nano suit points at the end

Havok

Brandon F said:
How are the achievements? Kinda regret not getting the 360 version now over the PC. Unless they are skewed heavilly on MP...
If you play your first playthrough on Super Soldier, you'll end up with a minimum of 500, 210 of them from the difficulty alone. Then there are the non-story achievements like killing x while stealthed, etc etc. It's not bad. I'm at just over 600 without having touched multiplayer. Given that you can literally run past 95% of the enemies in the game while stealthed, it's not bad at all.

For a while apparently the last supersoldier achievement was bugged, but it's fixed now, I assume by one of the recent patches.

Hixx

Brandon F said:

Something like 700 SP - 300 MP for points

I got ~450 on first run without hunting for collectables etc

raphier

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Co-signed,

Neuromancer (360 version)

In most games I would agree about this and it always annoys me, but in this game it makes sense as your suit is rigged up to a system that lets the 'operator' (Gould at the beginning of the game) know not only where you are but also he can see exactly what you're doing.
yeah. they call it real-time logistics. May in same time check what's in the suit and spare me from entering random bullshit buildings to check the suit for random purposes. They should totally do that themselves from proxy. The suit is so smart it can propably do most of that itself. I would rather fight the war in mean time, thank you.

DennisK4 said:

It's really not if you have the right suit upgrades, namely the nano-recharge and mobility, everything else is up to your preference, simply listen to the audio cues for when your suit energy is getting low and for when it's charged back up.

JRW

RoboPlato said:
Odd. Maybe it was the angle you were standing at? The PS3 version has those shadows so it would be weird for the 360 version to not have it.

Nope its definitely not there on 360, the light source behind me was in the exact same spot on both versions when I took the pictures. Shadows are also missing from objects on 360 such as barrels / bags etc.

sleepykyo

ACE 1991 said:
So what's the GAF consensus on MP?

Hit detection, frame rate and netcode are all borked on the PS3 version (not sure about the other versions). Also locking modes until x level is reached is insane when there are so few modes to begin with.

On that note, how does the Grendel work in mp? Should I use the single shot mode? Does it get a neck modifier? Only use it when I'm the host (which shouldn't happen given my 1.5mbs/256kbs connection, but it happens anyway)?

I will give them credit though, host migration in this doesn't fail as often as in Black Ops. Then again Black Ops doesn't regularly choose a host that results in everyone else having 2 bars or less.

DoomGyver

Before the patch I had stumbled onto that 0 nano-catalyst bug, after the patch I went to mission select and started a random mission.. 40,000 nano-catalyst. I already have everything unlocked though.

Dennis

Banned
Playing Post-human with no HUD is not only very hard (not suit upgrades yet) but it is also sublimely immersive and tense.

No more map to see postion of enemies and no more seeing exactly what your nanosuit power levels are. You have to listen to sounds and you have to observe your surroundings.

This is supremely compelling stuff. I love it!

FINALBOSS

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Playing Post-human with no HUD is not only very hard (not suit upgrades yet) but it is also sublimely immersive and tense.

No more map to see postion of enemies and no more seeing exactly what your nanosuit power levels are. You have to listen to sounds and you have to observe your surroundings.

This is supremely compelling stuff. I love it!

Ya, you said that.

Gvaz

Banned
Mike G.E.D. said:
No hell no. Crysis 2 is console shooter trash, dude.

and Mass Effect 3, return to form? Mass Effect 2 was a huge improvement over ME1-- Mass Effect, a game that barely passed as a squad shooter or role playing gmae.

Right now the only GOTY contender is Dead Space 2.

I'm having more fun with the Killzone 3 SP than Crysis 2 (on the ps3).

Mass Effect 2 was alright, but it wasn't an RPG. Dead Space 2 is okay, but I'm getting the (get the game on day 1, beat first chapter, never touch it again till 12 months later) syndrome.

The Witcher 2 will be GOTY. You just wait.

Havok

DennisK4 said:
You add this line to the autoexec.cfg:

hud_hide = 1
Or on 360, sometimes you get a bug when you start a level where it's just gone! Truly immersive. ;) I actually thought it was a feature of Super Soldier when I started until I died several levels into the game and it reappeared when I loaded the last checkpoint.

Gileadxv

Banned
I've played through the single player campaign on Soldier, Veteran and Super Soldier (being a part of the massive SOE layoffs was at least good for something!), and like others have stated, the only drawback is not being able to skip the various cut scenes. My Super Soldier run through had me feeling like a ninja Sam Fisher -- good times!

Dennis

Banned
Gileadxv said:
I've played through the single player campaign on Soldier, Veteran and Super Soldier (being a part of the massive SOE layoffs was at least good for something!), and like others have stated, the only drawback is not being able to skip the various cut scenes. My Super Soldier run through had me feeling like a ninja Sam Fisher -- good times!
You got laid off? Sorry to hear that.

Sethos

Banned
Does the game get any better towards the end? I haven't played for days now, I just don't have that urge to complete it.

I'm still hearing that metallic clacking really often. Just started up "Semper Fi or Die", and it's been going on right from the start, and I have no idea where it came from. I thought it was the aliens, but I've been hearing it on non-aliens levels a lot, too.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
It seems there is no MP consensus as I can't recall a game that has divided opinion as starkly. For me it's probably the best example of MP shooter in many ways (lag, technically, graphics, gameplay) and certainly the one I've most enjoyed since MW2.

Others hate it. Although I get the impression most guys who hate it are of a mind to judge it harshly and give it a hard ride for what er reason.

I'm a console xbox gamer and I never played crysis before so that rules out the two main reasons that seem to cause this game to rub people the wrong way.

Top Bottom