• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

CartridgeBlower said:
What difficulty do people recommend playing for a first playthrough?
I played on Normal and was very happy with the experience. I wouldn't say it was too easy, I died quite a bit (but never so much that I got frustrated.)

Oh yeah also I didn't think the story was any worse than the average shooter these days. I liked the mute protagonist, and Gould and Hargreave were good voice actors. At the end of the day all I want from a game story is to set up the world and then get out of the way. For the most part this game's story did that.

Red

SapientWolf said:
It's the highest but not the best looking.
I'm using the autoexec in the OP, does it matter what my in-game settings are on? The options are so limited :/

Is there any way to disable the CoD jelly effect when you get shot?

Well... fifteen minutes in and the experience is anything but positive. FOV is weird, and setting it higher gives me a terrible headache because of the tunnel vision. Then I run into this. And as soon as I make it outside I get instantly stuck in an invisible wall and need to restart the game.

Kind of regretting the purchase right now.

And my serial code gets reset every time I start the game? What is this?

Okay seriously, how do you move once you get out of the warehouse at the very start? I'm trapped in place again.

Nevermind, got through.

I feel like I'm playing a different game than you guys. Not digging it at all so far, sadly :(

And man, most of these textures are terrible. Some of this stuff reminds me of the best of the N64. What is this? I was hoping at first that it was just taking a while for the game to load surfaces, but I'm running into examples of this left and right.

I'll stick with it. It's got to improve.

Just beat it, and I'm not too sure what to think. I want to replay both Crysis and Warhead to better crystallize what I think of the Crysis 2. I know this much, the story just got progressively worse with each and every new twist they introduced near the end.

I think the thing that bothers me the most is how the nano-suit changed from a not-quite-common piece of military ordinance (that was even duplicated by the North Koreans) in Crysis and Warhead to being this unique, otherworldly, mystical thing to be feared and awed in Crysis 2.

jaundicejuice said:
Just beat it, and I'm not too sure what to think. I want to replay both Crysis and Warhead to better crystallize what I think of the Crysis 2. I know this much, the story just got progressively worse with each and every new twist they introduced near the end.

I think the thing that bothers me the most is how the nano-suit changed from a not-quite-common piece of military ordinance (that was even duplicated by the North Koreans) in Crysis and Warhead to being this unique, otherworldly, mystical thing to be feared and awed in Crysis 2.
I feel the same way.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
jaundicejuice said:

Yea the whole magic nanosuit thing was really weird. I mean how uncommon can they be if they sent 5 dudes with them in to rescue a couple of archaeologists in the first game. There is a whole lot of ignoring Crysis and Warhead in Crysis 2. I guess they felt the need to sort of start over since most of the folks playing would be the console crowd who never played the originals.

Red

Finished the first level, partway through the second right now. Thoroughly underwhelmed. Some solid level design, but it's let down by really awful AI. Guys won't react when I'm right in front of them, but suddenly they're detecting me when I'm cloaked and on the opposite side of a wall. Really dumb.

And look: what is up with these textures? The original Crysis had some poor ones as well, but much of the stuff here is hideous. Does the config in the OP somehow worsen textures? They are really, really bad.

The soundtrack, however, is sublime. Gunplay is likewise satisfying, certainly no worse than the first game. Traversal is also improved, but isn't taken full advantage of due to the many invisible walls.

Maybe I'm nitpicking. I was expecting a lot after the positive impressions, especially graphics-wise. And right now... I'm not seeing it. When things like this are scattered all around, it's tough to hold the presentation in very high regard.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Sinatar said:
Yea the whole magic nanosuit thing was really weird. I mean how uncommon can they be if they sent 5 dudes with them in to rescue a couple of archaeologists in the first game. There is a whole lot of ignoring Crysis and Warhead in Crysis 2. I guess they felt the need to sort of start over since most of the folks playing would be the console crowd who never played the originals.

The nanosuit in C2 is not the same one that Nomad and Psycho used. This is Nanosuit 2.0.

Dennis

Banned
Lots of complaints about the AI I see.

I don't know what difficulty people are playing on but they seem plenty sharp and challenging on Posthuman.

Yes they are stupid with grenades and they may not be too clever when they have buddies dying all around them but goddamn it they are lethal and will kill you right quick from a distance.

And fuck they will outflank you and sneak up on you which is particularly lethal when you have HUD disabled. Then you really have to watch your back.

Sethos

Banned
DennisK4 said:

I don't know what difficulty people are playing on but they seem plenty sharp and challenging on Posthuman.

The AI needs to be solid on all difficulty levels, not everyone has the patience or perhaps skillset to play it on top difficulty levels.

Red

DennisK4 said:

Yes they are stupid with grenades and they may not be too clever when they have buddies dying all around them but goddamn it they are lethal and will kill you right quick from a distance.

And fuck they will outflank you and sneak up on you which is particularly lethal when you have HUD disabled. Then you really have to watch your back.
I'm playing on post human. I'm still early in the game, but they're pretty damn stupid so far, usually returning to their starting positions if I cloak for five or six seconds, and often standing in place while I'm shooting at them.

They're artificially made more difficult by being able to see me through walls or across courtyards, even while I'm cloaked, which still doesn't make the skirmishes very challenging since their flanking tactics are so predictable. I can duck behind a chest high wall and wait for them to run into my bullets.

Dennis

Banned
Crunched said:
I'm playing on post human. I'm still early in the game, but they're pretty damn stupid so far, usually returning to their starting positions if I cloak for five or six seconds, and often standing in place while I'm shooting at them.
The bolded part I don't encounter at all. If I shoot at them they will immediately shoot back and if I miss I will be dead. You can take very few hits. And they will take cover and shoot from cover as well.

Sinatar

DennisK4 said:

I played through on Post Human and the AI was comically bad. Game was a complete breeze really. The AI has real problems navigating the environment and gets constantly stuck on stupid things.

That's not to say Crysis had incredible AI or anything, it really didn't.

Red

DennisK4 said:
The bolded part I don't encounter at all. If I shoot at them they will immediately shoot back and if I miss I will be dead. You can take very few hits. And they will take cover and shoot from cover as well.
I've been playing for an hour and a half, and it's happened to me in every battle so far.

Right from the start it's been terrible. The first two guys I ran into? Right after getting ammo for my pistol, I throw an exploding barrel at them. It hits one guy, and the other sidesteps it and keeps walking without breaking a sweat.

Dennis

Banned
Sinatar said:
I played through on Post Human and the AI was comically bad. Game was a complete breeze really. The AI has real problems navigating the environment and gets constantly stuck on stupid things.

That is so bizarrely opposite of my experience. I find it a hard game and I have yet to experience anyone get stuck.

I have experienced soldiers blowing themselves up with grenades though.

Sinatar

DennisK4 said:

This happens like 95% of the time enemies use grenades. It was pretty hilarious when I'm in Gould's penthouse lab and the soldiers are attacking from the skylight. For some reason they all decided to use grenades at the same time and literally killed their entire force while I sat around a corner letting my suit charge up.

I just hear a series of explosions and screams of pain, turn the corner and they are all dead. Gave me a chuckle at least.

DennisK4 said:

I played PHW start to finish and never even tried anything lower.

M12 Nova + Silencer is like hacking against human enemies. They stand there and let you drop them even when their comrades are standing 3 meters behind them. They go MAN DOWN but don't really do much about it. Sometimes they start investigating, but you can get to within a meter or so and aim for close range headshots no problems, you have to basically stand there for a few seconds before they see you.

When they're alert to your presence, they notice you a bit better but its still really easy to just run past them fast and they can't track you properly. There are some sections in tight underground spaces with like parked jeeps with .50 cal gunners that are just a joke, even on this difficulty. Then there's the classic "HUH WHAT WAS THAT? NOTHING IN MY FIELD OF VIEW, OH WELL" problem that a lot of games suffer from.

The alien AI is really weird because sometimes they see you cloaked and sometimes they are totally oblivious to you knifing half their squad.

kamspy

Crunched said:
FOV is weird,.

set it to 59 on a 16x9 monitor. If you put 90 in the command line you're getting like 120. It measures it differently. Bad Comapany 2 did the same thing. I think they measure vertically or something like that.

_______

Can we all agree the NOVA 12 is greatest handgun in video gaming history? I'm going almost NOVA only on Post Human. Dunno what I'll do when I reach the Ceth, but Cell are headshot fodder for my lil nova thumper.

kamspy said:
Can we all agree the NOVA 12 is greatest handgun in video gaming history? I'm going almost NOVA only on Post Human. Dunno what I'll do when I reach the Ceth, but Cell are headshot fodder for my lil nova thumper.

Ceph, not Ceth. As in "Cephalopod".

Red

kamspy said:
set it to 59 on a 16x9 monitor. If you put 90 in the command line you're getting like 120. It measures it differently. Bad Comapany 2 did the same thing. I think they measure vertically or something like that.
Yeah, I brought it down a bit and it's much better now. It's still not where I'd like it, seems too low to the ground or something, but it's better than the vomit-inducing 90 I had it set at before. People earlier were saying that Alcatraz holds guns real close to his face, and yeah, it's like he's pressing them up against his nose.

Sinatar

I don't see any advantage to using the Nova over the Hammer. The hammer does everything the Nova does and jacks up the Ceph too.

kamspy

Sinatar said:
I don't see any advantage to using the Nova over the Hammer. The hammer does everything the Nova does and jacks up the Ceph too.

Rate of fire, ammo capacity and clip size has been a concern with me. Part of the joy I get out of it is how it feels. It's a damn fun gun to fire. I glazed over the hammer the first time through, and grab in once in a while now but ammo and clip size is a concern. Also, I've just now started fighting Ceph on PHW.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Ceph, not Ceth. As in "Cephalopod".

Ceth, Ceph, CELL, fuck. I can't keep up.

Sinatar said:

The hammer drains like two to three times as much suit energy per shot by my guestimations. You also carry less ammo for it and have to reload more frequently. If you need to take Ceph, you switch to your other weapon, which should be a shotgun or AR.

DennisK4 said:
That is so bizarrely opposite of my experience. I find it a hard game and I have yet to experience anyone get stuck.

The game gets hard not because of how enemies behave, i.e. navigate the environment, flank you, retreat, etc. But because they simply get harder to kill, and are incredibly more accurate and deadly.

Comparing to how the Elites behave in Reach (especially in larger levels or firefight), the AI in Crysis 2 is dumb, even though regular soldiers shouldn't really compare here.

But you're right in saying that for the most part they do well.

Nekrono

Sinatar said:

I totally agree with this, in my playthrough i have yet to find any real challenge, sure I've died a couple times and there's been a few times where it's somewhat hard but overall everything has been pretty easy and I just fly though everything, it's kinda boring in all honesty, not because there's not many things to do but because there's no challenge! you just go in and as long as you use speed and find cover you can kill everything so fast is not even funny.

What doesn't help either is the fact that the AI is so bad at times and filled with a lot of bugs/glitches.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that i played both Crysis and Warhead earlier this year, not saying that their AI is phenomenal but it's definitely harder than Crysis 2.

metareferential said:
But because they simply get harder to kill, and are incredibly more accurate and deadly.

Shit the do? lol i wouldn't even dare to play on anything lower than super human then, I find them incredibly weak as it is.

I think the actual difficulty comes from the checkpoint system, if this game had a quick save function you would really see how easy it is.

Also enemies might be a bit more accurate although they kinda aren't but I think it's mainly because the damage modifier gets multiplied a lot. A couple bullets and you die.

Yeah Crysis 2 is a fairly easy shooter once you can use the suit well. I die more often in any given CoD SP on Normal difficulty than I do on PHW in C2.

Red

Trent Strong said:
The lighting in this game is weird. The brights are too bright and the darks are too dark.
Yeah, I was talking about that after seeing Dennis's screens earlier in the thread. There's no range in between, and much of the time the bloom effect is so overdone it looks like someone's smeared paste all over the screen. It's too much. There's glare from lights, then flares from the glare, and bloom off of bits of plastic and metal scattered on the ground. It's fine to be a bit stylized, but there's frankly so much going on at once that I wish it would tone itself down every now and again.

I am greatly disappointed, and wish I would've held off for a sale :(

Dennis

Banned
This thread is turning into Bizarro-GAF.

"Game is easy on Post-human" - wut? Hardest FPS in a long time.

"AI is stupid" - wut? AI is super lethal and sneaky.

"Lighting is bad" - wut? Lighting is the best in any game ever.

Nekrono

DennisK4 said:

Maybe for you :p, there's been a lot of different opinions regarding the AI and difficulty of the game, so at this point is up to personal preference and play style.

Red

DennisK4 said:

All the bolded is what I was hoping, especially after your impressions, but that's unfortunately not been my experience so far. Two hours in and it's pretty middling.

The lighting engine is extremely impressive, but it's too much, it's too overdone here. I've no doubt the engine is the best tech out there today, but the implementation here isn't done effectively. When every single light source produces a glare stretching across my entire screen, there's a problem. It's possible to have too much of a good thing.

I think I would've been better off buying Bulletstorm. Ah, well.

Man

DennisK4 said:

A) I'm enjoying playing this on Veteran the first time around now. Enemies kill you fast.
B) More than any game I remember in years this game has A.I navigation problems, so many stuck wall moments (at least it's an A.I attempt though and not COD scripting). They also have incredible sight apparently but it's a fun challenge.
C) Lighting is great. Wonder what secret CryEngine got working here that other middleware provides can't provide. Global illumination rocks.

DennisK4 said:

Difficulty has nothing to do with good AI.

Call of Duty on veteran is a pain in the ass. Yet there's no AI there to be found. Same goes for other shooters that only rely on fixed patterns.

Nekrono

Crunched said:
I think I would've been better off buying Bulletstorm. Ah, well.

I seriously don't think so but I really don't know your taste in FPS or games in general.

If you like mindless hordes of enemies coming at you then perhaps yes :p.

Red

Nekrono said:
I seriously don't think so but I really don't know your taste in FPS or games in general.

If you like mindless hordes of enemies coming at you then perhaps yes :p.
Crysis 1 is my favorite PC FPS. I was half-expecting to be disappointed by C2 going into it, and my fears have been realized and then some. With Bulletstorm, at least it's a new IP, it's a fresh take on the genre, and I wouldn't have been hoping for an evolution on a formula from a sequel that's taken three steps back for every step forward.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but my expectations for both are in different places.

eXistor

So far this game is not delivering for me. I loved Crysis 1 and Warhead though. Graphically I think it's goddamn amazing, even if a lot of textures do koind of suck. It's just the environments are boring as hell. Every part (so far anyway. I don't really have the drive to play a lot) is the same crap over and over again. I'm playing on normal, so that might be it, but the game is way too easy so far. AI really isn't that great, but I don't mind too much, shooting dudes feels very nice. Might actaully be some of the nicest gunplay I've seen so far in a game. It's just that the game to me is not interesting to play...so why play at all?

DennisK4 said:

Bollocks. Every single CoD from 4 onwards is harder than this if you crank it up to veteran because of how bullshit it gets. C2 is only really hard in a few specific places, otherwise you can cruise through even on the highest difficulty, only dying once or twice each level.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
DennisK4 said:

CoD on Veteran is 20x harder

_tetsuo_ said:
CoD on Veteran is 20x harder
Cheaper, not harder. CoD has no AI whatsoever.... its more like a game of memory

Just finished the game on PC, what an awesome experience. Best FPS in a very long time.
Ending was okay too, but
no bossfight was a letdown, especially after Crysis and Addon....

10/10 and all future Crysis titles will be day one, regardless of the talk before release ^^

I've finished every CoD on Veteran, when I tried to do Crysis on Delta I got my ass handed to me and gave up, haha.

I probably could've pushed on and finished it but it would've taken a lot of planning.

Maybe one day I will play both games on hardest difficulty. I'm sure there's some truth in the claim it's a whole different level of immersion.

Dilly

Banned
Considering how the AI reacts different every time, it's quite possible Dennis just got lucky and others didn't.

It's not totally scripted like in CoD or something.

Top Bottom