• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The MP impressed me less than many other shooters. I am gonna dive into the SP more today as I recently picked this up with trade ins.

bhlaab

DennisK4 said:
I am playing Post-human without HUD and Christ, this is hard!

Also not getting all the AI hate. The main issue for me is that they do not seem to understand what a grenade is really. Other than that there is no major problem. Oh, and they seem to have the ability to see and shoot accurately from 30 miles away.....

They get stick in walls and finding dead bodies tends to confuse them. "Are you hurt? Hey man, are you okay? WE GOT A MAN DOWN! Hey you hurt? What's going on? MAN DOWN OVER HERE! Hey man, are you okay? Where you hit? Are you hurt? WE GOT A MAN DOWN!"

pakkit

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
I'm still hearing that metallic clacking really often. Just started up "Semper Fi or Die", and it's been going on right from the start, and I have no idea where it came from. I thought it was the aliens, but I've been hearing it on non-aliens levels a lot, too.
I had that problem and I turned off Proximity Alarm and that seemed to kill it.

Grisby

I'm really enjoying the MP here. Almost at lvl 25 but it takes forever to earn any XP if your not that good. I don't play that many MP games and the last one I played hardcore was AC Brotherhood. Compared to Halo Reach, the last FPS I played to max level, Crysis 2 is a breath of fresh air with all of the suit abilities.

Its also cool that you have to actively get the dog tags in order to get support bonus's.

It feels like a FPS Crackdown with everyone suit jumping and pulling crazy stunts. I think I'm getting too old as well because I'm having a difficult time seeing cloaked peoples.

raphier

Banned
holy shit I just met Pinger. What the hell, this enemy is designed all over the place. It sees throught walls, shoots pulse fire that drains your immediate energy and even if you're cloaked, it sees your position in 10 meters precise placement. And once it spots you, it's a split-second rotation on you and bullets are enroute before you decide to evade.

Stitch said:
Oh just remembered: I've seen 2 CELL soldiers today, shooting at each other.

AI of the year.
That's nothing on 1st Pinger...It's totally doesn't know what to do with it's head.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
ACE 1991 said:
So what's the GAF consensus on MP?

Don't know about anyone else, but I love it. On PC it isn't hard to find a good server so the netcode problems aren't there. It gets really fun once you learn how to play it, and Assault is awesome. The label "Call of Duty with super powers" is pretty accurate.

Stitch

Gold Member
raphier said:
holy shit I just met Pinger. What the hell, this enemy is designed all over the place. It sees throught walls, shoots pulse fire that drains your immediate energy and even if you're cloaked, it sees your position in 10 meters precise placement. And once it spots you, it's a split-second rotation on you and bullets are enroute before you decide to evade.

Yeah for some reason they can see you sometimes when you're cloaked and far away. Those big ceph guys too.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
CartridgeBlower said:
What difficulty do people recommend playing for a first playthrough?

I'm not a great shooter person by any means, I'd put my twitch reflexes and accuracy middling at best and probably below average, but I'm playing on the highest difficulty and having no problems really.

I did finish MW2 on the highest difficulty after a normal run through and this time I figured I'd just finish it the once and get all the achievements in one go.

I do find myself going quite slowly and approaching it almost like a puzzle game though, finding nice ways through the levels and taking people out whilst trying to stay safe.

But so far the checkpoints have been quite kind so I can experiment or even just mess about in the 'sandbox' and not get too annoyed when I die.

The SP isnt great story or AI-wise so I wouldnt want to do it twice. If you want the achievements then try super soldier and bump it down if its too hard.

SapientWolf said:
The beta seemed fine. How did it get broken?

Rampant cheating. Crytek have pledged to start banning and it frankly can't come soon enough. They also need to re-secure the online part of the game to prevent future cheating (don't know if possible).

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
SapientWolf said:
The beta seemed fine. How did it get broken?

Cheating is rampant. Have to find the good servers and you can avoid it. I played today a bit and didn't run into any cheaters.

Red

I was going to wait for a sale, but dammit I need a good single player FPS. I am hurting for one.

It's getting hard to put off.

Eh, trying to buy it through Steam and keep getting the message "Sorry, but you're not permitted to view these materials at this time."

Okay, done, bought, can't wait to play it. Hopefully it scratches that itch. I'm still half-expecting to be disappointed because of the loss of scale, but all the positive impressions here have made me hopeful.

Played the first two hours, definitely fun so far. Playing on Veteran and it seems like a good challenge.

Only problem so far is actually SEEING the guys I'm shooting at. Not because of aiming or anything like that, but actually being able to discern them from the environment. They blend in like crazy. I know you're supposed to use the suit to spot them, and I am, but it's still aggravating.

Also whoever said this was the best looking console game was a little nutty. Lots of framerate drops, jaggies, and pop-in. Playing 360, btw. Great looking game still on console, but far from the best. I don't want to re-ignite any fanboy arguments, but I think there are several games that look better, and I don't think I have to state the obvious choices.

strata8

CartridgeBlower said:
Also whoever said this was the best looking console game was a little nutty. Lots of framerate drops, jaggies, and pop-in. Playing 360, btw. Great looking game still on console, but far from the best. I don't want to re-ignite any fanboy arguments, but I think there are several games that look better, and I don't think I have to state the obvious choices.
People are perfectly entitled their opinion. It doesn't mean they're completely wrong just because they give more priority to lighting effects over framerate and pop-in.

JB1981

Just finished the game. THAT was the ending? WTF. Played on Veteran on first playthrough and I recommend those starting for the first time do the same. It was a good challenge.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Rampant cheating. Crytek have pledged to start banning and it frankly can't come soon enough. They also need to re-secure the online part of the game to prevent future cheating (don't know if possible).

There is no security, there isn't even a file check.
Hence why you can even play online, ranked and everything with pirated copies...
As far as I know this is the only game where you can do that. (not counting borderlands , while that also didn't have any copy protection check online but it uses p2p connections anyhow).

Nothing stops people from editing game files or the .exe if the server doesn't check file integrity...
This means you can do pretty much ANYTHING, from unlimited energy or unlimited 'killstreaks' to noclip and supposedly even godmode and any other modifications people will come up with later on.

I don't know what the hell crytek were thinking.
Why is it either ridiculous DRM or nothing at all these days: What happened to the good old simple cd key validity check + cheat protection with file integrity check that served mp games pretty well for 10-15 years.
Well that and rcon and full admin support to let people IP ban cheaters from their servers.
Add demo recording to it like in hl engine games or q3 and you have all the tools needed to permanently get rid of cheaters.

Fake edit: Not sure where I read this info, I think on crymod, may also have been on some topic on gaf itself.

Anyhow, combine that with the godawful hit detection/net code/gun behavior and this game's mp is one of the worst mp cesspools around.

JRW

SneakyStephan said:
There is no security, there isn't even a file check.
Hence why you can even play online, ranked and everything with pirated copies...
As far as I know this is the only game where you can do that. (not counting borderlands , while that also didn't have any copy protection check online but it uses p2p connections anyhow).

Nothing stops people from editing game files or the .exe if the server doesn't check file integrity...
This means you can do pretty much ANYTHING, from unlimited energy or unlimited 'killstreaks' to noclip and supposedly even godmode and any other modifications people will come up with later on.

I don't know what the hell crytek were thinking.
Why is it either ridiculous DRM or nothing at all these days: What happened to the good old simple cd key validity check + cheat protection with file integrity check that served mp games pretty well for 10-15 years.
Well that and rcon and full admin support to let people IP ban cheaters from their servers.
Add demo recording to it like in hl engine games or q3 and you have all the tools needed to permanently get rid of cheaters.

Fake edit: Not sure where I read this info, I think on crymod, may also have been on some topic on gaf itself.

Anyhow, combine that with the godawful hit detection/net code/gun behavior and this game's mp is one of the worst mp cesspools around.

What about the security patch released yesterday for PC version, It didn't help?

JRW said:
What about the security patch released yesterday for PC version, It didn't help?
I didn't get a patch, not sure what you are talking about.
Still had some people speed hacking through the server earlier and some guy instakilling our entire team from anywhere on the map as soon as we spawned (noclip + an aimbot I'm guessing).

If they did something then it didn't make any difference.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
ThoseDeafMutes said:
Or homefront.

That said, I still can't believe the entire final prophet Flashback was released as a prerelease trailer.
It was? Holy shit that's stupid.

I didn't think the story was that bad overall, it was serviceable. I do think it could have been told a lot better.

AnkitT

Y2Kev said:
Just beat it. Worst story ever.
I just finished with playing Bulletstorm. Made me appreciate the story in Crysis 2 in a totally different light, which I can acknowledge, is not that great of a story.

sleepykyo

Y2Kev said:
Just beat it. Worst story ever.

Didn't seem any worse than MW2 or MGS4. All 3 were completely ridiculous. The only additional issue with Crysis 2 was how whole silent protaganist thing makes the presentation a little more dull.

People actually like Price and get to smirk as Liquid goes bang bang.

RoboPlato said:

Yep.

Yes. The pretentious psychobabble in MW2 was at least plainly written.

I can't get over how dumb everything about the plot was. C2 makes use of technobabble and makes some shit up as it goes, but MW2 is supposed to be set in something very close to the real world with near-real world tech, but features a completely ridiculous plot involving a Russian invasion of the US because of a shooting involving a CIA agent and a crazy british man hijacking a Russian nuclear sub, programming and launching a nuclear missile as part of a plan to thwart the invasion with a single EMP blast, even though the Americans were every bit as reliant on sensitive electronics as the Russians were.

And it's all orchestrated by some US General as part of a revenge plot for some crazy arab blowing up some marines. Nothing says revenge quite like getting your own country invaded! That they didn't even bother trying to address the issue of nuclear deterrence (not even a one line throwaway) just pushes it over the edge.

'Dicky Morgan makes a complete fool of himself in pre-release hype!'

what a total clown, i look forward to seeing some of his comments post release.
his narrative reasoning etc...'oh the whole was in the can anyways, i just wrote some incidental direlogue etc...'

'no combat bonus until someone brings me his head' x 100

qirex99

Banned
Shalashaska said:
The game is pretty fun, the dumb AI kind of killed it for me though.

Yeah the AI is really beyond Dumb.

Pretty much made the game a snore-fest for me after I realized that I can simply max armor and melee EVERYTHING except for the miniboss robot/mech/aliens.

Im playing on the difficulty level above normal btw.

anybody else run into this game-breaking tactic?

Templar Wizard said:

his narrative reasoning etc...'oh the whole was in the can anyways, i just wrote some incidental direlogue etc...'

WTF you talking about?

qirex99 said:
Yeah the AI is really beyond Dumb.

Pretty much made the game a snore-fest for me after I realized that I can simply max armor and melee EVERYTHING except for the miniboss robot/mech/aliens.

Im playing on the difficulty level above normal btw.

anybody else run into this game-breaking tactic?

uhhh play at a higher difficulty and you won't be able to do that without another enemy killing you immediately after.

Nizz

RoboPlato said:

I didn't think the story was that bad overall, it was serviceable. I do think it could have been told a lot better.
Same here. I felt like I was missing certain things by not having played the first game. It was ok though. The gameplay definitely made up for it.

Also, just for kicks I set the PS3 to 1080p to see how it looked/ran. Don't know if it's a "placebo effect " but I swear it looks/runs better in 720p mode, which I set it to right away again.

strata8

Templar Wizard said:

Most likely he [thought he] had some really good concepts and Crytek screwed them up. Wasn't expecting much, myself, though; I thought Crysis had a really good story, not in terms of narrative, but storytelling, etc.

Top Bottom