• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

JoeBoy101

f0rk said:
Steam says I've played for 5 hours, fighting a lot of aliens now. I hope they go away soon because they just aren't as fun to fight. When will Crytek learn it's the same thing in all their games :S

Sorry man, but I think you're in the minority this time. GAF consensus on this one is that the aliens are much more fun to fight than the humans. Kinda the opposite of the first (also in that the second half of the game is much better than the first0.

Red

JoeBoy101 said:
Sorry man, but I think you're in the minority this time. GAF consensus on this one is that the aliens are much more fun to fight than the humans. Kinda the opposite of the first (also in that the second half of the game is much better than the first0.
I've been fighting the aliens for a couple levels now, and they're even less impressive than they were the first time. They seem to not want to shoot at me. They will run in circles, jump up and down, back and forth, around and around, me pegging them with shots the whole time, until finally they'll run right up into my face and stand there waiting to die. I only get maybe 1/5 to actually fight back. It's so horrendously stupid.

This is on post human. It is a joke.

Where do you get the attachment and what gun is it for? All I have is the Gauss rifle that holds 8 ammo. On the last level now so it's prob too late

Crunched said:
I've been fighting the aliens for a couple levels now, and they're even less impressive than they were the first time. They seem to not want to shoot at me. They will run in circles, jump up and down, back and forth, around and around, me pegging them with shots the whole time, until finally they'll run right up into my face and stand there waiting to die. I only get maybe 1/5 to actually fight back. It's so horrendously stupid.

This is on post human. It is a joke.
The AI bugs are bad but the aliens here are infinitely more fun to fight against than the ones in the original. And I have a hard time believing that you've had 1 out of 5 fight back. That wasn't my experience at all. Sounds like hyperbole.

Red

Heavy said:
The AI bugs are bad but the aliens here are infinitely more fun to fight against than the ones in the original.
The aliens in Crysis 1 actually presented a threat.

Crunched said:
1 out of 5 fight back? Really, dude? I've never seen a game get doused with more hyperbole than this one. I've died plenty of times to the aliens and they do fight back. Some get stuck on walls and shit but it's not anywhere near 4 out of every 5 bugging out. Come on.

Man

I had the same impression after playing on Veteran that the aliens are not as aggressive/effective as the human opposition, the Brutes and Pipers being the exception.

The humans are more relentless in shooting aimed and accurate shots without asking questions while the aliens like to dance around a bit (which combined with the games a.i navigation problems can make them an easy target).

I still enjoy all the enemies in this game and I like bursting the alien bubble spilling their pink blood.

Also: Aliens in Crysis 1 were not entertaining.

NIN90

Crunched said:

I think I did not die once against the aliens in my one and only playthrough of Crysis 1. And that was on Delta.
Only the final boss was a bitch.

X-Frame

Oh thanks guys. Just trying to figure out what all the attachments do. I'm trying to find what suits my play style, which is CQC and all about objectives. Just unlocked the Feline and I like it so far.

I also think Threat Tracer is pretty helpful too.

Red

Heavy said:
1 out of 5 fight back? Really, dude? I've never seen a game get doused with more hyperbole than this one. I've died plenty of times to the aliens and they do fight back. Some get stuck on walls and shit but it's not anywhere near 4 out of 5 every bugging out. Come on.
I wish it was hyperbole. My experience has been pretty abysmal so far. I wouldn't have paid $60 for the game if I wanted to hate it.

The aliens aren't acting like they're "bugging" out, they simple get stuck in some routine and won't snap out of it until they're near-death. It's not that they're getting trapped on objects or running in small circles, they just continue to patrol, even when I am right up in their faces shooting all around.

I'm not saying Crysis 1 was some pinnacle of enemy AI, but Crysis 2 seems a step back in every direction. I haven't liked the man-suits since they were revealed, but I'd hoped the combat would be improved because of them. Unfortunately they aren't as fun to fight -- an achievement, considering the floaty targets most of the aliens in C1 were.

It's an alright game, it's fun at least in the mechanics of the player character, but I'm continually let down by the stupidity of the AI. If that doesn't bother you, fine. Maybe your experience has been different. I find it hard to believe that I've simply been unlucky with every encounter so far, but perhaps that's a possibility.

I can only speak from my own experience.

X-Frame said:
Oh thanks guys. Just trying to figure out what all the attachments do. I'm trying to find what suits my play style, which is CQC and all about objectives. Just unlocked the Feline and I like it so far.

I also think Threat Tracer is pretty helpful too.
I used Threat Tracer the entire game. I dunno, I liked the green bullet trails and it was pretty helpful at times.

Recommendations: Mobility Enhance (600), Armor Enhance (600), Nano Recharge (8000) to replace Armor Enhance, and Stealth Enhance (10000)

There's also a cool nanosuit upgrade viewer in the Extras section that tells you what they all do and has little clips.

Air Stomp blows.

Crunched said:
I wish it was hyperbole. My experience has been pretty abysmal so far. I wouldn't have paid $60 for the game if I wanted to hate it.

The aliens aren't acting like they're "bugging" out, they simple get stuck in some routine and won't snap out of it until they're near-death. It's not that they're getting trapped on objects or running in small circles, they just continue to patrol, even when I am right up in their faces shooting all around.

I'm not saying Crysis 1 was some pinnacle of enemy AI, but Crysis 2 seems a step back in every direction. I haven't liked the man-suits since they were revealed, but I'd hoped the combat would be improved because of them. Unfortunately they aren't as fun to fight -- an achievement, considering the floaty targets most of the aliens in C1 were.
Like 97% of the people who have played this game disagree with that assessment (that the aliens in C1 were more fun to fight), but it's your opinion so you're entitled to it.

Dennis

Banned
This is the most immersive shooter yet made. Post-human with no HUD is almost exactly how my ideal FPS looks. The only real points that I feel I can make against the game are:

1) Somewhat disappointing AI - room for improvement

2) Levels could be larger and more open - like in Crysis

3) Destructibility is not as prominent as in Crysis.

I don't see how the AI can be blamed on consoles but the other two points are concessions that had to be made for the game to run on the consoles. The good news is that the next-generation of consoles will allow this complaint to become obsolete.

Man

Armor Enhance (600) and Stealth Enhance(?) (16000 I believe), Silent Footsteps (4-6000) and Threat Tracer (1-600) are probably the best.

Endgame spoiler:
I bought the cloak detector but I can't see how it was supposed to aid me in the end boss fight. They were decloaked during some attacks but that was of their doing I believe.

It's not that they're getting trapped on objects or running in small circles, they just continue to patrol, even when I am right up in their faces shooting all around.

And this is just BS, I'm sorry. I'd like to see a video of this -- where 4 out of 5 aliens (or however many) you encounter just continue to patrol while you're shooting them.

Man said:
Armor Enhance (600) and Stealth Enhance(?) (16000 I believe), Silent Footsteps (4-6000) and Threat Tracer (1-600) are probably the best.

Endgame spoiler:
I bought the cloak detector but I can't see how it was supposed to aid me in the end boss fight. They were decloaked during some attacks but that was of their doing I believe.
You like Silent Footsteps? It's nice but very situational, plus I kinda like hearing the footsteps, especially the tank steps with armor mode on lol. It adds a bit to the immersion.

Cloak Detector being 16,000 is insane with the nanocrystal bug and how little it'll be used. Lost 6k today from the bug.

Red

DennisK4 said:
This is the most immersive shooter yet made. Post-human with no HUD is almost exactly how my ideal FPS looks. The only real points that I feel I can make against the game are:

I don't see how the AI can be blamed on consoles but the other two points are concessions that had to be made for the game to run on the consoles. The good news is that the next-generation of consoles will allow this complaint to become obsolete.
Point 2 is something I actually don't have a problem with. I was expecting a corridor shooter of the worst kind, and while C2's levels don't occupy as much space as the first game, they are brimming with options and are more comparatively filled with combat opportunities. There's less space, but still a lot, and lots to do within that.

Heavy said:
And this is just BS, I'm sorry. I'd like to see a video of this -- where 4 out of 5 aliens (or however many) you encounter just continue to patrol while you're shooting them.
I can have this for you at around midnight EST tonight.

sleepykyo

DennisK4 said:

It was the for the 360, if it was consoles the stages should be even smaller instead of missing 20% of the resolution and struggling to hit 30fps.

And much like 60fps as a console standard, that isn't happening next generation either. Because there was always be some new graphic effect or better textures on character models that people prioritize over performance, better physics, etc.

Crunched said:
Point 2 is something I actually don't have a problem with. I was expecting a corridor shooter of the worst kind, and while C2's levels don't occupy as much space as the first game, they are brimming with options and are more comparatively filled with combat opportunities. There's less space, but still a lot, and lots to do within that.

I can have this for you at around midnight EST tonight.
Looking forward to it.

Dennis

Banned
sleepykyo said:
It was the for the 360, if it was consoles the stages should be even smaller instead of missing 20% of the resolution and struggling to hit 30fps.

And much like 60fps, that isn't happening next generation either. Because there was always be some new graphic effect or better textures on character models that people prioritize over performance, better physics, etc.
I don't agree.

Well, I agree that 60 fps is an eternal pipe dream. But I don't agree that levels won't be larger next gen. Thats a RAM issue. If the next gen consoles comes with at least 2GB RAM, that alone will allow larger levels.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
DennisK4 said:

Have you posted any no HUD screens, I'd love to see them?

Finally! Crytek fixed one of the most stupid errors in Crysis 1. Now when cammo is active
player shadow disappears. In the original when cloak was active the shadow was present.

For those missing the destructible huts, at least you can take the side panels of magazine
stands and from the "24 hour parking" mini offices also.

Opposite to popular believe, deformable objects from the tech demo are present. Can be noticed in the big metal containers which are similar to the ones from cargo ships. Some metal boxes too and the smallest object i have seen it in, is those tinfoil mini dumpsters.

One cool little touch for people that have seen a car in real life catching fire. In the game
when a car is about to blow you can see how the ignited fuel propagates in the ground
below the car.

Again People, Crysis 1 and Crysis 2 destructibility its the same You are assuming the collapsing huts made out of props stalked into each other is a sign of destructible objects.
On a final note, don't confuse game choices with what the engine is capable of. Because Cryengine 3 its the same Cry2 engine with more features and optimizations.
DennisK4 said:
I think most people realize that CryEngine 3 is superior to its predecessor. Anything that can be conceived as 'inferior' to the first game are concessions to A) consoles and B) whiny PC gamers that can't except that groundbreaking looks comes at the cost of performance.
Definitely, Crytek should be recognized for developing the most advanced DX9 game in history. Its something really incredible.

Dennis

Banned
I think most people realize that CryEngine 3 is superior to its predecessor. Anything that can be conceived as 'inferior' to the first game are concessions to A) consoles and B) whiny PC gamers that can't except that groundbreaking looks comes at the cost of performance.

Man

Haven't heard about the nano crystal bug but at one point in the game the save got screwed so I ended up loading into a totally black area with only ambient sound playing. I had about 12000+ Nano at that time.

Only choice was to restart level. I was in-debt with Nano with -600 for some reason haha. I would have gotten all upgrades by games end if that bug hadn't occurred. :/

[Nintex]

The sniper in this game is so good, so is the hammer handgun. You shoot the bastards and they start crawling in pain and then you move up to finish the job. I also love all the climbing, ledge grabbing, opens up a whole lot of possibilites. It somehow feels like 'Mirrors Edge' at times and I've seen sprinkles of Half Life 2 as well. I'm not sure which game is more 'open' this or Crysis 1. Overall it isn't a huge open island but there's much more routes and combat options for each objective. Oh and the presentation with all the explosions and set pieces is awesome.

Kyaw

Why are those shadows of the trees moving in the GIF? Is it the sun moving or just physical movement of trees?

Dennis

Banned
[Nintex] said:
The sniper in this game is so good, so is the hammer handgun. You shoot the bastards and they start crawling in pain and then you move up to finish the job. I also love all the climbing, ledge grabbing, opens up a whole lot of possibilites. It somehow feels like 'Mirrors Edge' at times and I've seen sprinkles of Half Life 2 as well. I'm not sure which game is more 'open' this or Crysis 1. Overall it isn't a huge open island but there's much more routes and combat options for each objective. Oh and the presentation with all the explosions and set pieces is awesome.

Red

DennisK4 said:
The most amazing thing about CE3 is that it runs so damn smoothly while looking as good as it does. Must be the most optimized piece of tech I've ever seen. But you must admit, textures are generally poor. There are moments where I've been shocked at how awful a wall texture is, especially with that gloriously detailed gun front and center. I don't like the supernovas across every bit of light and reflected light, but I suppose that's personal preference. Everything else, though, as far as visuals are concerned, is very solid.

.gif above is one of the game's biggest improvements, and contributes to the excellent movement.

Kyaw

DennisK4 said:
The magic of wind.

It just looks like the sun moving rather than wind in almost all those GIFs.

Yes, yes, i definitely loved the ledge grab stuff. It felt a lot more seamless.
Keep those inappropriately large GIFs coming, Dennis! :D

Animator

I really want them to add a MP map that takes place in a place like the ledge grab gif above. Skyline is great but I want the alleys, the rooftops and everything in between.

Lime

I am so glad I tried it over at my friend flat before buying the game myself. It is extremely generic in both non-technical presentation and linearity. Crysis 1 had interesting encounters and locale, but this just seems to me like another long line of 'shoot stuff in the face'.

There is way too many visual indicators on how to approach a situation, how well you have hit your target, which direction you are going to take and so forth. The story and presentation tries to take itself too seriously with robot-aliens from Space. The music is as generic as action blockbusters comes and the main theme is overused to such a degree that it becomes bland and uneventful. Furthermore, the framework of the presentation tries to be this AAA blockbuster while the amount of bugs, clipping and inane enemy AI makes you think you are playing the latest stuff from some obscure low-budget Eastern-European developer. This was extremely common in me and my friend's playthrough with OP's autoexec.cfg (downscaled from 1920x1080 to 1280x720):

crysis22011-03-3122-196zds.png

This is far away from an improvement from Crysis 1 and has convinced me about the shortcomings of Crytek.

Kyaw

-GOUKI- said:
Sorry pretty sure its been asked a million times again but what are your settings?

Code:
sys_spec_shading=4
sys_spec_gameeffects=4
sys_spec_objectdetail=4
sys_spec_particles=4
sys_spec_physics=4
sys_spec_postprocessing=4
sys_spec_shadows=4
sys_spec_sound=4
sys_spec_texture=4
sys_spec_water=4
g_skipIntro=1
cl_fov=70
pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov=70
i_mouse_accel=0
i_mouse_accel_max=100
i_mouse_smooth=0
r_motionblur=0
g_radialBlur=0
cl_zoomToggle=0
r_UseEdgeAA=0
r_TexMaxAnisotropy=16
r_PostMSAA=2
r_PostMSAAEdgeFilterNV = 0
cl_crouchtoggle=1
r_ColorGrading=1
r_SSAO=1
r_VSync=0
r_MotionBlurShutterSpeed=0.091
e_shadows=3
g_enableInitialLoginScreen=0
r_HDRBloomMul=1
r_HDRBrightLevel=1
r_multithreaded=1
r_ShadersDX11=1
r_ShadersDX9=0
r_driver=dx10 
;hud_hide = 1

remove the ; to remove the hud

Red

Lime said:
I am so glad I tried it over at my friend flat before buying the game myself. It is extremely generic in both non-technical presentation and linearity. Crysis 1 had interesting encounters and locale, but this just seems to me like another long line of 'shoot stuff in the face'.

There is way too many visual indicators on how to approach a situation, how well you have hit your target, which direction you are going to take and so forth. The story and presentation tries to take itself too seriously with robot-aliens from Space. The music is as generic as action blockbusters comes and the main theme is overused to such a degree that it becomes bland and uneventful. Furthermore, the framework of the presentation tries to be this AAA blockbuster while the amount of bugs, clipping and inane enemy AI makes you think you are playing the latest stuff from some obscure low-budget Eastern-European developer. This was extremely common in me and my friend's playthrough with OP's autoexec.cfg (downscaled from 1920x1080 to 1280x720):

crysis22011-03-3122-196zdsblehhhh.png

This is far away from an improvement from Crysis 1 and has convinced me about the shortcomings of Crytek.
Not sure if you're using this as a serious example. Pretty sure that guy is meant to be looking at the vending machine.

[Nintex]

Lime said:

I could post a screenshot of a combine soldier stuck in Half Life 2 or a hilarious bug in Resident Evil 4, does that make those games any less awesome than they are? No.

Crysis 2 is an incredible game, people are just looking for excuses to hate it which I can understand when it comes to shit like Homefront but Crysis 2 is awesome.

-GOUKI-

Kyaw said:
Code:
sys_spec_shading=4
sys_spec_gameeffects=4
sys_spec_objectdetail=4
sys_spec_particles=4
sys_spec_physics=4
sys_spec_postprocessing=4
sys_spec_shadows=4
sys_spec_sound=4
sys_spec_texture=4
sys_spec_water=4
g_skipIntro=1
cl_fov=70
pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov=70
i_mouse_accel=0
i_mouse_accel_max=100
i_mouse_smooth=0
r_motionblur=0
g_radialBlur=0
cl_zoomToggle=0
r_UseEdgeAA=0
r_TexMaxAnisotropy=16
r_PostMSAA=2
r_PostMSAAEdgeFilterNV = 0
cl_crouchtoggle=1
r_ColorGrading=1
r_SSAO=1
r_VSync=0
r_MotionBlurShutterSpeed=0.091
e_shadows=3
g_enableInitialLoginScreen=0
r_HDRBloomMul=1
r_HDRBrightLevel=1
r_multithreaded=1
r_ShadersDX11=1
r_ShadersDX9=0
r_driver=dx10 
;hud_hide = 1

remove the ; to remove the hud
thanks

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Crunched said:

Yeah, I've been replaying Warhead and it gives me a new appreciation for it's aliens. the smaller ones can swarm you if you're not careful and the larger ones are a constant threat from above. One thing that became apparent to me is that they removed these aliens altogether in Crysis 2 because they're pretty nimble and hard to target with a gamepad.

They can be annoying to fight, but they add much more variety than Crysis 2's aliens which may as well just be heavily armored humans.

Stitch

Gold Member
[Nintex] said:
I could post a screenshot of a combine soldier stuck in Half Life 2 or a hilarious bug in Resident Evil 4, does that make those games any less awesome than they are? No.

but this shit happens all the time in crysis 2

Lime

Crunched said:
Not sure if you're using this as a serious example. Pretty sure that guy is meant to be looking at the vending machine.

His legs are cemented to the ground.

[Nintex] said:

Crysis 2 is an incredible game, people are just looking for excuses to hate it which I can understand when it comes to shit like Homefront but Crysis 2 is awesome.

The regularity of bugs, clipping and dumb AI is much more prevalent and common than either HL2 or RE4. Obviously not every game is bug-free, but the amount I encountered in Crysis 2 was on an Obsidian level.

And sure, it isn't the 'worst FPS evah', it's just a mediocre effort that tries to be more than it is. And it fails to be very entertaining when the story is shit, encounters are simplified, has obsolete game design (e.g. ammo crates in the middle of fuck) and generic art direction. It's fine if people enjoy the experience, but I've played so many other FPS games which did many, many things much, much better.

But maybe I am not the target audience.

Top Bottom