• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Foliorum Viridum said:
To claim that looks anywhere near as good as something like Metro 2033 is pretty mental.

Doesn't look much better than MP to me, to be honest. Those pics don't seem like a good representation though.

metro is a fucking corridor shooter. the REAL corridor shooter - tight areas, more memory for textures and other details.

Sethos said:
^ Why is it so grainy and ... smudged? The edges look like they have some terrible AA that's just there to brute-smooth instead of keeping the crispiness.
Really because these screens look pretty amazing to me.

felipepl said:
There you go. Name me a PC game that looks better than this.
Please, no modded-to-the-hell Crysis 1 and beautiful beaches please, we're talking graphically, not aesthetically speaking.

those pics dont look that good.... or in motion it really shines.

subversus said:
metro is a fucking corridor shooter. the REAL corridor shooter - tight areas, more memory for textures and other details.
Yeah, not a completely fair comparison, but there was a ridiculous amount of hyperbole in that post. There are many, MANY other games on larger scopes that look better. Metro is just my main example by default because it's so far ahead.

felipepl said:
Please, no modded-to-the-hell Crysis 1 and beautiful beaches please, we're talking graphically, not aesthetically speaking.
So you obviously havent played too many top notch PC graphic powerhouses. Those shots look like crap.

GHG

Gold Member
Serious question... Are the trees even destructable in this?

I ask because the trees look incredibly shit compared to the original Crysis... How difficult would have been to port over some trees from the orginal?

GHG said:
Serious question... Are the trees even destructable in this?

I ask because the trees look incredibly shit compared to the original Crysis... How difficult would have been to port over some trees from the orginal?
In the MP you can't even shoot down the small trees scattered around :( I mean, come on, in Crysis you had foliage crumbling around you in the big firefights. I hope in the SP there's a decent level of destructability, because seeing trees raped with bullets and those huts blown to bits made the combat feel so good.

Wazzim

Banned
Revenge of the Couch lol, Great OT!
I'm interested in some new info about the PC version, I will probably hold off buying until some good stuff comes in from the community.

mxgt

Banned
subversus said:

He asked for a game that looked better.

Metro looks a LOT better than Crysis 2.

GHG

Gold Member
Foliorum Viridum said:
In the MP you can't even shoot down the small trees scattered around :( I mean, come on, in Crysis you had foliage crumbling around you in the big firefights. I hope in the SP there's a decent level of destructability, because seeing trees raped with bullets and those huts blown to bits made the combat feel so good.

That was part of what made the 1st so awesome. It looked stunning even with so much shit going on. It it was all the shit going on that made it feel so much more frantic. This looks like a static point A to point B shooter so far. I'm so dissapointed its untrue.

What I'm hoping is the mod community can fix this but it doesn't look promising considering the encrypted game files. I hope for a team to port this game over to the original game engine. It would take a couple of years but it would be so worth the wait.

Dennis

Banned
Pics posted on previous page are horrendous.

They are laughed-at-in-the-2011-High-Res-PC-Screenshot-Thread bad.

But magazine screenshots are often hilariously bad so....

I am totally willing to give Crysis 2 a fair shake and wait to judge until I actually see for my self.

Does anybody know how open ended Crysis 2 is compared to other console shooters? Is it taking cues more from Halo? or COD?

Any ideas on the length or quality of the campaign? And whether its designed for replayability?

GHG

Gold Member
DennisK4 said:

Tell me about it. Even PES 2011 looks better on my PC and thats a KONAMI SPORTS GAME. Sad times...

Enosh

Foliorum Viridum said:
what?
I played on low and I could shoot down the trees

atleast if I remember it right

DennisK4 said:

Dont tell that to Mr. Less graphical options just means the game looks and plays better than those with options aka felipepl

NullPointer said:
Does anybody know how open ended Crysis 2 is compared to other console shooters? Is it taking cues more from Halo? or COD?

Any ideas on the length or quality of the campaign? And whether its designed for replayability?
Sounds to me based on the one or two reviews that are out that it's more comparable to Halo. It's fairly linear but there are some bigger, more open areas in which you can go about killing the enemies in a pretty open way. There is a visor you can bring up to help point out interesting things in the environment you can use. Based on that I'd say it sounds pretty replayable. One of the reviews said it was about 13 hours to beat, if memory serves.

It'd be nice if some reviews and previews were in the OT, but what can you do.

Peterthumpa

mxgt said:
He asked for a game that looked better.

Metro looks a LOT better than Crysis 2.
Ok, I'll wait for the final game anyway, I still think that given the scope of the game, Crysis 2 looks better overall.

Neuromancer said:
Sounds to me based on the one or two reviews that are out that it's more comparable to Halo. It's fairly linear but there are some bigger, more open areas in which you can go about killing the enemies in a pretty open way. There is a visor you can bring up to help point out interesting things in the environment you can use. Based on that I'd say it sounds pretty replayable. One of the reviews said it was about 13 hours to beat, if memory serves.

It'd be nice if some reviews and previews were in the OT, but what can you do.
Thanks. That sounds right up my alley, as I have no interest in multiplayer.

Dreohboy

Lostconfused said:
Stripped out visual settings. Less open environments. Streamlined and simplified suit powers. There isn't any reason to buy the game in the first place if you already have Crysis and Warhead. The console audience will probably enjoy it but it won't be anything amazing like Crysis is.

Hmmm....I'll take better system performance and better story for the win thank you very much.

The console audience owns PCs too people. Spends money to game on them too.

Dollars from A group will be replaced by dollars from B group. You won't be missed.

Sethos

Banned
Dreohboy said:
Hmmm....I'll take better system performance and better story for the win thank you very much.

Just turn the graphical settings down to Medium in Crysis and Warhead, then you have Crysis 2. No worries about the performance then.

Peterthumpa

LovingSteam said:
Dont tell that to Mr. Less graphical options just means the game looks and plays better than those with options aka felipepl
I lol'ed (really, funny post).

Anyway, I think I'm still right about the Battle LA x Crysis 2 comparison. =)

Let's reserve judgement about how much the graphics suck (speaking in your language) when the game ships.

Dreohboy said:

The console audience owns PCs too people. Spends money to game on them too.

Dollars from A group will be replaced by dollars from B group. You won't be missed.
Well so far the reviews have been panning the story, so unlucky there.

Crysis was scaled in a way you could have great visuals and great performance. There were no compromises there. The fact that many ignorant people didn't realise that, and that Crytek moved away from that sort of incredible PC development, is simply shocking.

mxgt

Banned
felipepl said:
Ok, I'll wait for the final game anyway, I still think that given the scope of the game, Crysis 2 looks better overall.

It looks good, it's just that the first Crysis blew everyone away with how good it looked.

Crysis 2 does not. There's nothing spectacular there to get excited about graphically.

Sethos said:
Just turn the graphical settings down to Medium in Crysis and Warhead, then you have Crysis 2. No worries about the performance then.

Yeah but can you turn off the open environments and lessen physics and destruction for that authentic Crysis 2 experience?

Lucius86

Banned
I will wait for Gaf's opinion before I decide whether to part with my not-so-hard-earned cash.

Pics are good, but not of a game that warrants the name Crysis. :-(

Sethos

Banned
LabouredSubterfuge said:
Yeah but can you turn off the open environments and lessen physics and destruction for that authentic Crysis 2 experience?

Just pretend your an onion whilst playing, same experience.

ymmv

Banned
LabouredSubterfuge said:
Rather more entertaining than the tepid circle-jerks that usually occur.

You know it's possible to discuss games without trolling. Unfortunately the tone has been set by the op and others like him who only want to shit on the game. It's pretty sad that anyone with an opossing viewpoint (not completely negative) is considered a "circle-jerker".

Is this going to turn into MW2/L4D2 again , where everyone hates it but they still buy it for day 1?

the scepticism is baffling. Also the ridiculous reverence for the first is puzzling

GHG

Gold Member
ymmv said:
You know it's possible to discuss games without trolling. Unfortunately the tone has been set by the op and others like him who only want to shit on the game. It's pretty sad that anyone with an opossing viewpoint (not completely negative) is considered a "circle-jerker".

I don't think some people get it...

The PC community are outraged by what we've seen of this game and all the information we have on the PC version thus far. And rightly so. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Amazing OP.
I lost it when I saw that he blinks in the animation, nice little detail.

Is there any news about a proper AA method for the final release yet?
Will we get msaa with dx11 mode?

IQ looks too soft,grainy and blurry for a pc game.

The guy playing doesn't seem to grasp the concept of burst fire either...
A 0.1 sec delay between "bursts" is hardly going to give you time to re center your aim irl (or reduce the spread in any decent shooter with some recoil).
I can get so mad when people ape something without understanding why they are doing it.

The druid in wow who runs around a pillar but doesn't stop when he puts the pillar in between him and the guy chasing him and runs right back into him or this.
Grinds my gears.

Vaporak

Just saw the 3 minute PC gameplay footage and have pretty much lost all interest in this game, and now I don't have any shooters to look forward to. :(

Kevin

This was going to be a day one purchase for me but after everything they did to the PC version of the game, I won't even consider a purchase until they start talking about DX11 and how they are going to correct this mess.

dionysus

Yaldog
ymmv said:

You're overreaching. He didn't say having positive things to say about Crysis 2 makes you a circle-jerker. He said most OTs are nothing but circle-jerks until the game is released, which is true on average. Even worse, they are normally just full of "Day one" posts.

Metal Gear?! said:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
is going to be guilty of nearly every 'sin' that Crysis 2 is being slated for. of course, it not being a sequel to the messiah of PC gaming, it won't get criticised for them.

oh, and it will also be a great game from the looks of it.

dejan

Day 1 patch notes:

We are extremely pleased with how popular our Crysis 2 PC demo has been. During this time we received a lot of valuable feedback that has helped us to better plan our future game updates. Some of the changes included in our day 1 patch and retail version will be;

• Changed "Press Start to begin" to “Press Enter to begin”
• Remove textfilter from chat by default
• Remove all aim assist from Multiplayer
• Improve USB headset compatibility
• Resolved game login issues
• Display accurate ping in server browser
• Fixed hologram icon staying on screen after hologram is used up
• Fix friends list UI buttons being offset

The PC demo is now over and this forum section will be removed in a few days. Thanks to everyone that took part in the demo and contributed in these forums.

http://www.mycrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=9886

They most probably just forgot to list DX11 support, right guys?

felipepl said:

By that criteria you would have to agree that given the scope of Crysis 1 it crushes Crysis 2 and is still by far the best looking game ever made.

felipepl said:

The Witcher 2 - large open world, better textures, fraction of the budget
Battlefield 3 - fully destructible, better lighting, not blurry
Metro 2033 - on max high settings it looks better

And I don't know why modded Crysis is not allowed - if one guy re-writing the shaders himself and adding a bunch of shit can topple Crytek's house of cards, that's pretty sad.

Cornbread78

Heavy's Sandvich said:
Is this going to turn into MW2/L4D2 again , where everyone hates it but they still buy it for day 1?

the scepticism is baffling. Also the ridiculous reverence for the first is puzzling

It's sounds a lot like Resistance 1 and 2 at this point, LOL...

LovingSteam said:
So you obviously havent played too many top notch PC graphic powerhouses. Those shots look like crap.

Such as? Metro is one example given. Those shots already look better than Crysis on my PC.

Massa

I NEED SCISSORS said:
The Witcher 2 - large open world, better textures, fraction of the budget
Battlefield 3 - fully destructible, better lighting, not blurry
Metro 2033 - on max high settings it looks better

And I don't know why modded Crysis is not allowed - if one guy re-writing the shaders himself and adding a bunch of shit can topple Crytek's house of cards, that's pretty sad.

Two unreleased games and one that looks like crap.

Top Bottom