• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

bee

so, people whine like mad when the original crysis obliterates their pc then they also whine like mad when a dx11 renderer option that will no doubt obliterate their pc yet again is not there day one, nice

remind me again what dx11 has given us? better pockets on npc's on metro 2033? bad company 2 is a dx11 game yet (as far as nvidia cards go) dx9 gives WAY better image quality because you can force proper nvidia aa settings of i.e 4xmsaa + 4xsgssaa which looks ridiculously better than the in game option. stalker clear sky is dx10 only and yet arguably looks better than call of pripyat which is dx11

looking forward to my copy arriving, the demo looked very nice indeed maxed with 3D vision

bee said:
so, people whine like mad when the original crysis obliterates their pc then they also whine like mad when a dx11 renderer option that will no doubt obliterate their pc yet again is not there day one, nice

Yes these are undoubtedly the same people

rapid32.5

NotTarts said:
He's just used bad encoding, here's a proper comparison:

Not too bad, really.

EDIT: PS3 has a higher FOV.
the difference is drastic if you have eyes, gonna buy 360 version. thanks for posting.

eso76

cgcg said:
Very nice lighting and effects but it has shitty crusched black and the entire time is running at 25fps and less. PS3 version looks blurrier but looks like it's actually running smoother most of the time but still the resolution is little too crappy.

i stated previously that the game looked like that when i saw it running.
Correction: blacks are not, repeat NOT crushed like that at all. Must be a problem with either capture or encoding.
The netbook i'm currently using can't play youtube videos smoothly at all, but that part of the game was absolutely 30 fps 90% of the time with great motion blur to boot. Very smooth.

cgcg

eso76 said:
i stated previously that the game looked like that when i saw it running.
Correction: blacks are not, repeat NOT crushed like that at all. Must be a problem with either capture or encoding.
The netbook i'm currently using can't play youtube videos smoothly at all, but that part of the game was absolutely 30 fps 90% of the time with great motion blur to boot. Very smooth.

It's not running 30fps 90% in that video. It's around 25fps and less 90% of the time. Maybe the motion blur is fooling you. I doubt it's the capturing equipment as pretty much very media released shows awful crushed black.

strata8

cgcg said:
It's not running 30fps 90% in that video. It's around 25fps and less 90% of the time. Maybe the motion blur is fooling you. I doubt it's the capturing equipment as pretty much very media released shows awful crushed black.
You're arguing with someone who has actually played the game?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
dejan said:
Holy fuck, best looking console game ever...

I mean, seriously, what game has had people spout shit like this:

these fake shots

Crytek using PC footage to confuse console peasants

or this

Bullshit, this game will look like shit in your TV

of course it looks good on fucking YT in a small screen

when you play this shit in your TV, it will look like SHIT

if you want to experience true CRYSIS2 wait for the DX11 patch and run it

on the highest settings.

I have never seen PC gamers annoyed at console gamers getting a decent looking version.

MMaRsu

godhandiscen said:

or this

I have never seen PC gamers annoyed at console gamers getting a decent looking version.

those are just idiots..

godhandiscen said:

or this

Yea because THAT is why PC gamers are upset. It couldn't be Crytek removing the basic features of what helps define PC gaming. Naaaa. It couldn't be Crytek offering LESS options than their PREVIOUS game. Naaa. It couldn't be Crytek skimping on features that a $10 movie game offers. Naaaa. It has to be we're pissed off at console gamers getting a decent looking version. Of course.

godhandiscen

LovingSteam said:
Yea because THAT is why PC gamers are upset. It couldn't be Crytek removing the basic features of what helps define PC gaming. Naaaa. It couldn't be Crytek offering LESS options than their PREVIOUS game. Naaa. It couldn't be Crytek skimping on features that a $10 movie game offers. Naaaa. It has to be we're pissed off at console gamers getting a decent looking version. Of course.
I believe the PC gamers in the comments are just a minority of considerably idiotic individuals. Also, I don't understand why a PC gamer who is mad at Crytek would take it against a console gamer and be mad at him getting a good looking version.

Lunchbox

Banned
LovingSteam said:
uBDoX.jpg

strata8

Stitch said:
i think it's interesting that there is almost no difference
I don't think so. I mean, it's not like Crysis where the low setting had no shadows, no SSAO, no proper water, no motion blur, no DoF, no HDR, no sunshafts, worse shaders, etc. The lowest setting in Crysis 2 already includes most of the advanced features.

godhandiscen said:
I believe the PC gamers in the comments are just a minority of considerably idiotic individuals. Also, I don't understand why a PC gamer who is mad at Crytek would take it against a console gamer and be mad at him that he gets to play a decent game.

People pissed at the console gamers for this are dumbasses. I am not mad at console owners who are excited for this game in the least. I enjoy my PS3 greatly. I blame Crytek for being horrible in the communication department for Crysis 2 on the PC and for thinking that they have to limit the options for the PC crowd in order to sell their game to the console crowd.

strata8

LovingSteam said:
People pissed at the console gamers for this are dumbasses. I am not mad at console owners who are excited for this game in the least. I enjoy my PS3 greatly. I blame Crytek for being horrible in the communication department for Crysis 2 on the PC and for thinking that they have to limit the options for the PC crowd in order to sell their game to the console crowd.
If the console versions looked like crap, though, I'm thinking that those comments wouldn't be there in the first place.

godhandiscen

LovingSteam said:
That is an idiotic attitude. Why would PC gamers be mad at console gamers over Crytek's decisions. I am picking up the PC version and I am extremely happy with all I've seen. I am not one to customize every tiny aspect of my games, so I don't miss the features. I understand the complains, but its not my problem as no decision Crytek has taken with regards to the graphics will affect my enjoyment of the game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
JB1981 said:
looks great here as well on ps3. impressed as hell
Seriously, that looks totally smooth and fantastic. After the demo, I'm completely surprised as those scenes are much more complex than anything in the demo and run much faster.

WrikaWrek

Banned
The game looks surprisingly good on consoles. I just finished Killzone 3 recently, and i'm impressed by this.

That 360 gameplay video really surprises.

TUROK

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
He meant to say that it has pre-baked GI (like 99.99% of console games), while Crysis 2 doesn't.
There are not that many games that use pre-baked GI, actually, and even less that use some sort of a real-time implementation.

EagleEyes

It's hilarious watching CozMick try so hard to convince people that this game can't possibly look as good as his PS3 exclusives. It's very entertaining to say the least.

Fellow PC Gamer's, let them have Crysis 2.

We won't buy it and we don't want it.

Unless all of this speculation is wrong and the shipped game is good, lol.

scorpscarx said:
Fellow PC Gamer's, let them have Crysis 2.

We won't buy it and we don't want it.

Unless all of this speculation is wrong and the shipped game is good, lol.
I think people will like it and have fun when they play it. Its only really a let down if you start comparing it to Crysis.

Gvaz

Banned
Lostconfused said:
I think people will like it and have fun when they play it. Its only really a let down if you start comparing it to Crysis.
Seeing how it's a sequel to a game, why not compare it? Ideally it should be better than the first one.

cgcg

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Well, have you? Played the retail 360 version, I mean.

No, and I can concede that framerate issue might just be a bad video encoding (though there are scenes where it hits 30 fps so I really doubt it's a bad encoding) but are you really trying to argue the 360 version doesn't have crushed black? I mean really?

No big deal though I'll just wait for the DF comparison. People say a lot of things on the Internet.

cgcg said:
No, and I can concede that framerate issue might just be a bad video encoding (though there are scenes where it hits 30 fps so I really doubt it's a bad encoding) but are you really trying to argue the 360 version doesn't have crushed black? I mean really?

Me? No, but eso76, one person here who has seen it with his own eyes, is. Why is that so hard to accept?

nib95

Banned
That Station 360 gameplay does look awesome. Some of the VA and textures are a bit janky, but otherwise gameplay looks solid. Only big negative, unless it's the capture, is that it has horrendous black crushing. Like, so much lost detail it's unreal. Hopefully the retain game ins't that bad and it's just down to the uploaders capture equipment. Framerate does look a bit wonky here and there too.

Lostconfused said:

Or if you're like me and hated 1, then this really has nowhere to go but up!

heyf00L

As a primarily PC gamer, the only thing that upsets me is that for so long console gamers have said "Crysis looks good, but it's just a benchmark. As a game it's mediocre." We tried to say that the open world, non-corridory gameplay was actually quite good and lots of fun, but no one would listen.

Now that it's coming to consoles, I'm hearing "Woah, it looks good and it's so open and fun!"

Yeah, that's what we've been trying to say.

It doesn't bother me that it looks great on consoles. Actually, that just proves that Cryengine was not as demanding as console gamers kept liking to say (ie "You gotta have some future PC to play it"). That was never true. You did need a modern PC, tho. But even in 2007, a $600 PC would run it decently. I had a mid-range PC is 2007 and it ran the game on very high at 30 fps. But no one listened to us.

It does bother me that the console support might gimp the PC version a bit. That can be fixed with config files, tho (assuming they're not encrypted).

Ysiadmihi

Banned
heyf00L said:
As a primarily PC gamer, the only thing that upsets me is that for so long console gamers have said "Crysis looks good, but it's just a benchmark. As a game it's mediocre." We tried to say that the open world, non-corridory gameplay was actually quite good and lots of fun, but no one would listen.

Now that it's coming to consoles, I'm hearing "Woah, it looks good and it's so open and fun!"

Yeah, that's what we've been trying to say.

It doesn't bother me that it looks great on consoles. Actually, that just proves that Cryengine was not as demanding as console gamers kept liking to say (ie "You gotta have some future PC to play it"). That was never true. You did need a modern PC, tho. But even in 2007, a $600 PC would run it decently. I had a mid-range PC is 2007 and it ran the game on very high at 30 fps. But no one listened to us.

I think most of the Crysis hate just came from the fact that a lot of people couldn't play it. It's easier to say something looks like shit than it is to say "Wow I wish I could play that".

Truespeed

KingOfKong said:
i guess the joke OT kinda backfired eh? game looks like it is going to be pretty impressive on all systems.

Why don't we wait until Digital Foundry rips apart the PS3 version first.

JoeBoy101

godhandiscen said:
That is an idiotic attitude. Why would PC gamers be mad at console gamers over Crytek's decisions. I am picking up the PC version and I am extremely happy with all I've seen. I am not one to customize every tiny aspect of my games, so I don't miss the features. I understand the complains, but its not my problem as no decision Crytek has taken with regards to the graphics will affect my enjoyment of the game.

See thats the thing alot of people are up in arms about. We're not talking about Crytek not allowing a minute amount of control on your graphics setting. They are offering virtually NO CUSTOMIZATION of your graphics setting apart from three presets. That's it. Three presets. There's being a control freak about settings, but this is not even allowing basic functionality.

To put it another way, you're acting like we're bitching because we didn't get the massive 100 colored pencil set, when in fact we got delivered one pink, one yellow, and one green highlighter. I would have settled for a boy of Crayola 24, but we're not even getting near that.

Peterthumpa

Truespeed said:
Why don't we wait until Digital Foundry rips apart the PS3 version first.
I don't think that this time, some beautiful technical words will make people suddenly think that the PS3 version is inferior.

Top Bottom