• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

heyf00L said:
As a primarily PC gamer, the only thing that upsets me is that for so long console gamers have said "Crysis looks good, but it's just a benchmark. As a game it's mediocre." We tried to say that the open world, non-corridory gameplay was actually quite good and lots of fun, but no one would listen.
I'm a console gamer and I have certainly never said this.

That 360 Central Station gameplay looked really dark to me, is that what crushed blacks are? I'm not too up on technical stuff, and I'm still trying to determine which console I'd like to play this on.

sleepykyo

felipepl said:
I don't think that this time, some beautiful technical words will make people suddenly think that the PS3 version is inferior.

But it is already inferior. It is already pretty clear the resolution is lower and the AA accentuates the blur. It is just a question of whether the frame rate is borked.

nib95

Banned
Truespeed said:
The aborted demo did that all by itself.

To be fair, the PS3 demo graphically actually looked better than the 360 version. Noticeably. Better shadows, lighting, water and textures. Frame rate wasn't as good mind, and it was a slightly lower resolution. Either way, I guess we'll have to wait and see what the final retail copy pans out.

Examples.

vs2qr64.gif

jb7ds3.gif

So this thread is a model of when several special interests groups come together over one issue. Lots of people shouting and being angry and you can't tell what the hell is going on or who is complaining about what.

Nizz

Y2Kev said:
whoa @ "see what you did there" image and next poster's avatar
I noticed that too, lol! :D

Neuromancer said:
I'm a console gamer and I have certainly never said this.
Me too. I was always jealous that PC gamers had Crysis. It looked phenomenal, plus the way you could approach/attack situations always looked super cool to me.

Crysis 2 may not take place in the jungle, but it looks like you still have plenty of room to tackle enemies in many different ways. Go Rambo, or go cloaked and flank, stealth. Definitely more options than other shooters that are more scripted in their presentation.

Crysis 2 looks awesome, which is why I'll be heartbroken if even the SP in the PS3 version runs terribly. :( So far, videos linked here from youtube have the SP looking great and running nicely. Even though I dig the things they're doing in MP, technically the PS3 demo was a disaster.

But seems like the draw of Crysis games have usually been the SP.

TUROK

nib95 said:
To be fair, the PS3 demo graphically actually looked better than the 360 version. Noticeably. Better shadows, lighting, water and textures. Frame rate wasn't as good mind, and it was a slightly lower resolution. Either way, I guess we'll have to wait and see what the final retail copy pans out.
Eh? Textures look pretty much the same. Biggest differences in shadows and textures lies in the filtering.

Lighting differences seemed purely aesthetic too. Just different degrees of intensity.

As for the water, I have no idea what's going on there. They both have reflections (at the same res too) and refractions, but for some reason the PS3 version's reflections are brighter.

Truespeed said:
Why don't we wait until Digital Foundry rips apart the PS3 version first.

Sadly, some are eagerly anticipating that to happen; to further fuel their silly little console war that grown people shouldn't give a fuck about.

chris0701

nib95 said:

We already have retail VS shots in previous page, why bother mention old build v.s latest PS360 demos here?

nib95

Banned
chris0701 said:
We already have retail VS shots in previous page, why bother mention old build v.s latest PS360 demos here?

Just had a scroll back and sure enough, two pages back there is one. Is that the only comparison shot or are there more? Kind of want to see shots showing more. Especially long distance or grander scale (better sense of lighting, texture filtering etc). Perhaps some water too to see if the waters been fixed in the 360 version.

jackdoe

perineumlick said:

Sadly, some are eagerly anticipating that to happen; to further fuel their silly little console war that grown people shouldn't give a fuck about.
I don't know. I'm pretty eager because I want CryTek to eat some crow regarding some of their choice comments from last year. I hate it when developers themselves flat out lie and belittle the struggles of other developers.

Truespeed

nib95 said:

Resolution and frame rate are more important to me then slightly enhanced effects. The PS3 version just looks incomplete and like an afterthought. There will likely be a day 1 patch for it and probably many more down the road. The game is also apparently smaller than the 360 version so if the PS3 version does have better textures, then they used some pretty good nano compression to pack them.

360 or PC version for me as we have a PS3 engine failure here.

jackdoe

Truespeed said:
The game is also apparently smaller than the 360 version so if the PS3 version does have better textures, then they used some pretty good nano compression to pack them.
Where did you find that out? Cause that would be surprising as hell.

Truespeed said:
Resolution and frame rate are more important to me then slightly enhanced effects. The PS3 version just looks incomplete and like an afterthought. There will likely be a day 1 patch for it and probably many more down the road. The game is also apparently smaller than the 360 version so if the PS3 version does have better textures, then they used some pretty good nano compression to pack them.

360 or PC version for me as we have a PS3 engine failure here.

you seem pretty confident of this, I hope when its released you don't end up eating your words.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Truespeed said:
The game is also apparently smaller than the 360 version so if the PS3 version does have better textures, then they used some pretty good nano compression to pack them.

Pretty sure 360 games can only be ripped 1:1, so they can't strip dummy data, so all 360 games will be 7+ GB no matter what.

aegies

Truespeed said:
Link says the game is only 5GB with an alleged 4GB install. As for the 360 size, well google it. 21% size discrepancy.

Oh wow. I've never seen that before.

Edit: The 360 install is 5.5GB. So in that regard, they're the same.

LEGGZZZZ

Wait where did that 360 footage come from? Did the game get released early or something? If it's just the leak, I thought linking pirated footage was against the rules.

Truespeed

alr1ghtstart said:
Pretty sure 360 games can only be ripped 1:1, so they can't strip dummy data, so all 360 games will be 7+ GB no matter what.

Sure, but it just goes to show you that they never even bothered using the extra space to enhance the sound options or use higher bit rates on the CG.

alr1ghtstart said:
Can't you go by install size though? I've had games installed to the HDD that say they only fill up 2 gigs.

Jadedx

Banned
nib95 said:

Examples.
Just cause you keep saying it doesn't mean it's true.

jackdoe

Truespeed said:
Sure, but it just goes to show you that they never even bothered using the extra space to enhance the sound options or use higher bit rates on the CG.
Well, they wanted parity. Even if it meant a lower resolution on one console.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Truespeed said:

when has there ever been a multiplatform release that uses the extra space of blu-ray, save FF13?

Truespeed

alr1ghtstart said:
when has there ever been a multiplatform release that uses the extra space of blu-ray, save FF13?

Bulletstorm is about 1GB bigger due to the inclusion of 5.1 LPCM. Black Ops is actually about 10GB bigger - surprising isn't it? And there's many more.

dejan said:
And people complain about the graphics? WTF

Sho_Nuff82 said:
2) why the fuck is current gen Splinter Cell running on Unreal 2.5 when consoles are capable of lighting environments and characters like this?
When hobo Sam was still around they were toying with GI:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/789/789307p1.html

ConradCervantes said:
That 360 Central Station gameplay looked really dark to me, is that what crushed blacks are? I'm not too up on technical stuff, and I'm still trying to determine which console I'd like to play this on.
You can simply adjust the brightness and gamma levels within the game.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
LEGGZZZZ said:
I know everyone beens slamming the graphics in the multiplayer demos, but at least in these maps everything looks just as impressive as the campaign:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBXVyPgoIgE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4jZtDp_9j8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaHX2zgBSsM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQxx6rUEKmA

All of which are on xbox 360. I thought it was running on pc until someone on his friends list signed into xbox live. Game looks amazing on all fronts imo.
Damn. Crytek is getting good with their fakes trying to convince console peasants huh?

LOL

I am excited Crytek is getting such amazing results in their first try at the hardware. I can't wait for the Kingdoms next year.

LEGGZZZZ

godhandiscen said:
Damn. Crytek is getting good with their fakes trying to convince console peasants huh?

LOL

I am excited Crytek is getting such amazing results in their first try at the hardware. I can't wait for the Kingdoms next year.

haha yeah kingdoms should look great. I hope skyline and peir 17 got some extra polish (probably not) but they still look great.

jintek

Banned
So yeah, I finally completely beat Crysis 2's SP tonight!!! I'd say overall it's a decent game, not the best FPS ever but whatever. And easily the best looking game on 360 hands-down, I was blown away, couldn't believe I was seeing this running on 360 on my 55" LED!

Anyway, I'll def be picking this up on Steam, my GTX 480 hasn't had a workout in some time...

Lingitiz

jintek said:
So yeah, I finally completely beat Crysis 2's SP tonight!!! I'd say overall it's a decent game, not the best FPS ever but whatever. And easily the best looking game on 360 hands-down, I was blown, couldn't believe I was seeing this running on 360 on my 55" LED!

Anyway, I'll def be picking this up on Steam, my GTX 480 hasn't had a workout in some time...
How long was the campaign?

Top Bottom