• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Nizz

valentine71 said:
Graphics are much better than the multiplayer demo and also it runs fine. So don't hesitate to buy this on PS3 because of the shitty MP demo. Game is fine.

So far i really like the gameplay, it gives you options. Stealth, direct assault, flanking,etc.; it feels deep. And after tons of CoD clones, this game really made me feel good.

valentine71 said:
Interiors are really bad sometimes. I mean when i started playing, i liked the visuals of open spaces but as i play more and more i notice bugs and bad textures. In one of the later levels in the game something happens (no spoiler!:) frame rate gets really fucked up. Also there are some small but noticable bugs in the game. Worst thing is enemies die into strange positions (into the walls, ridicilious body positions, etc.). And it happens a lot.
Not to single you out, but this is indicative of this thread as far as the PS3 version goes. It's like a fucking yo-yo! I'll be so glad when this roller coaster ride is over. It's like that Gameradar preview, they go on and on how the game looks fantastic on all platforms. How the framerate holds up great. Yet they're basing their preview on the 360 build.

I can't wait till the comparison vids come from DF and the rest (too bad they can't get one up over the weekend). Thanks for your impressions though, man. Looks like the PS3 version's not in the clear yet...

Boonoo

Graphics snafus aside (and it's absolutely bogus that you can't tune individual aspects), has a verdict come down as far as single-player linearity is concerned? I'm assuming narrower than Warhead, but I'd like to be surprised.

pixel monkey said:
And if Crytek is squeezing that performance out of DX9...holy larry. Good for them.

I run DX11 titles at max and honestly, the only practical difference I see is a fucking framerate hit on most titles.

Metro 2033 would be the exception to that.

Metro is a bit different for me too. Instead of butchering my framerate, I only lose about 20 fps when I enable one of the DX11 options. I also can't tell any difference in the graphics. Though it does run faster if I turn DX11 on but uncheck the specific options.

At this point I just want Crytek to patch in DX11 support so I can use DX10.

Ickman3400 said:
Metro is a bit different for me too. Instead of butchering my framerate, I only lose about 20 fps when I enable one of the DX11 options. I also can't tell any difference in the graphics. Though it does run faster if I turn DX11 on but uncheck the specific options.

At this point I just want Crytek to patch in DX11 support so I can use DX10.

Exactly! That is one of the core reasons people are upset with the lack of DX11 out of the box and this too be named date for its release. A game like Crysis in 2011 releasing WITHOUT DX10 enabled is ridiculous.

subversus said:
Ok, let's do it. What DX11 titles do you run?

AvP (shitty game with or without)
BFBC 2 (beautiful at DX 10 or 11)
Dirt 2 (see above, replace 10 with 9)
Dragon Age II (DX11 currently makes the game unplayable)
Medal of Honor (again, gorgeous @ 10 or 11)
and Metro 2033 (hello, exception and exceptional programming)

The last being the only one that anything (other than the framerate dip) is really noticeable. Sure you can nitpick tiny differences, but they're just not worth it IMO. Beautiful titles all around without or without DX11 as far as I'm concerned.

LovingSteam said:
Exactly! That is one of the core reasons people are upset with the lack of DX11 out of the box and this too be named date for its release. A game like Crysis in 2011 releasing WITHOUT DX10 enabled is ridiculous.

I can't argue that, it is pretty ridiculous. Here's hoping it comes soon, though I am very impressed at what I'm seeing from the console footage.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Ickman3400 said:
Metro is a bit different for me too. Instead of butchering my framerate, I only lose about 20 fps when I enable one of the DX11 options.

do you have Nvidia for real? Because Metro 2033 is optimized for Nvidia in DX11. And DA2 is optimized for ATI cards. My framerate in Metro suffers much bigger hit than just 20 fps in DX11.

subversus

pixel monkey said:
AvP (shitty game with or without) - doesn't matter, we talk about graphics
Dirt 2 (see above, replace 10 with 9) - ????. The difference is very noticeable - http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...mpared-Top-article-of-December-2009/Practice/.
Dragon Age II (DX11 currently makes the game unplayable) - only on Nvidia cards
Medal of Honor (again, gorgeous @ 10 or 11) - doesn't support DX11

I posted everything in your quote.

x3sphere

LovingSteam said:

He said a DX10 dll is there, don't know if it's running under DX10 or not though. Would have to check by enabling the console.

-bakalhau- said:
There isn't a nigel file with all the files there in retail like in the demo, there's the familiar Crysis 1 directory folders, I see 32-bit and 64-bit executables too. There is a system.cfg file indeed (I suppose that was what you were looking for).

I was reading a few threads looking for other people with retail copies, found out some interesting stuff. I hadn't looked for Sandbox Editor but I saw people asking others, now I did look and it's not installed. Can't see it on the DVD either. I read it's going to be released this summer for free. There's actually a DX10 .dll file but no DX11 .dll.

I didn't mention this as it's basically the same graphic options as in the demo, but someone posted the picture above so... They did change the presets (edit: changed the names, quality is still the same) to Good, Very Good and Extreme.

LovingSteam said:

Absolutely, but they're going to patch it in. As gorgeous as the game already is, it's just future icing on the cake to look forward to.

I understand that you're bothered by it...I just can't really make myself give a shit about it if they're bringing it down the pipe.

subversus said:
do you have Nvidia for real? Because Metro 2033 is optimized for Nvidia in DX11. And DA2 is optimized for ATI cards. My framerate in Metro suffers much bigger hit than just 20 fps in DX11.

Yes I have a gtx 470. I didn't really spend a lot of time playing in DX11, just some running around and combat. Outside of combat it would average around 40-45, combat would bring me to 30 tops. Once I see those numbers I get angry and do whatever I can to at least bring it up to the 50s. I need a high framerate more than a couple graphical tweaks that I end up not noticing anyway.

Game runs nice in DX11 without the extra options checked though. I can almost max it out at 60 fps

Peterthumpa

pixel monkey said:
AvP (shitty game with or without)
Dirt 2 (see above, replace 10 with 9)
Dragon Age II (DX11 currently makes the game unplayable)
Medal of Honor (again, gorgeous @ 10 or 11)

The last being the only one that anything (other than the framerate dip) is really noticeable. Sure you can nitpick tiny differences, but they're just not worth it IMO. Beautiful titles all around without or without DX11 as far as I'm concerned.
Wut? For a corridor-only shooter this game is terribly optimized.
And to be fair, checking out your list and all... I think that Crytek did the right thing releasing DX11 only for the moment, and maybe waiting for better drivers from nVidia/AMD?

I mean, all DX11 titles run like crap and look almost the same as their DX9 counterparts.
And before anyone... tessellation still means nothing to me and seems only interesting in tech demos so far.

JB1981

Crytek dev has already confirmed that the PS3 demo was retail code so there aren't going to be any changes to the graphics or performance. It's final code.

MRORANGE

things that bug me on the pc version:

config settings (I don't really mind not having DX11/DX10 but at least some dam options to optimize system performance).

crosshair - It's big and obtrusive, I recall in the first crysis you could change it to your liking.

MP - it screams COD in my ears, I would have much prefferd somthing like BFBC2 in map scale and more team orientated, I mean how about a mode where nanosuits vs alien mechs?

BLOOM - seriously it's just overdone and another reason why we need a config.

Hitmarkers - in a SP game it's really hard to justify having this :|

I have pre-ordered it for pc but I don't regret looking at the sp it stays true to what made the first game so great, but these minor things still bug me in a game. Honestly Crytek should have known better and included these options from the get go.

JADS

felipepl said:

How so? The game is pushing some impressive graphics and still looks and runs great on medium settings. The only thing that kills performance is DoF.

felipepl said:

It runs a dream on my GTX 460, but I have heard your feelings echoed from others with lesser Nvidia cards and ATI cards as well. This is based solely on my experience.

Metro runs at 40fps for me maxed at DX11 on a 5850 with occasional drops. To call it unoptimised is rubbish, especially considering how absolutely beautiful it is.

Cryostasis is a great example of an umoptimised game. Anybody calling Metro unoptimised is ignorant or a troll.

McHuj

Has anyone used this wtsmystuff.com? Never heard of them and I just stumbled on to them. Is it legit. They have a PC pre-order for $39.99

MMaRsu

JB1981 said:
Just played this and Blops back to back and Blops is like a last gen game. This game is so much more technically advanced. Time for COD to evolve.

No shit when the actual engine is more than two gens old?

Purexed

Banned
Just scored my copy from a Los Angeles Mom-n-Pop. PS3 Version. Played about an hour...

Looks fantastic, frame rate is pretty smooth, and the 3D looks outstanding on my passive LG set. After the intro, there's a hilarious trophy aimed at guys like us on GAF. I'm sure you'll chuckle just I did.

Unless performance dives off a cliff once I'm knee-deep in, it appears the PS3 fears were unfounded.

DieH@rd

Banned
MRORANGE said:
things that bug me on the pc version:

config settings (I don't really mind not having DX11/DX10 but at least some dam options to optimize system performance).

Nothing stops you to add whatever custom command you want into config.cfg file.

Look at these screenshots from the retail version, the 360 version looks much sharper! The PS3 version resolution seems to be lower and i think that Crytek have used Quincunx AA. I hate this AA because it makes eveything looks like a blurry mess!

PS3: http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa475/NIGHTMAR3xGTx/Games/PS3Crysis3.jpg

360: http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa475/NIGHTMAR3xGTx/Games/Crysis2360-3.jpg

And another trailer from the retail version, it looks so much better than that Pier 17 map from the demo! Be sure to watch it in 720p. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cslwzllOERU&feature=player_embedded

subversus

pixel monkey said:
That's like, your opinion, man. What you call "very", I call barely.

yeah, and that's like your opinion man.

I mean people in x360/ps3 comparison threads would kill for lesser differences lol

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
GANGSTERKILLER said:
Look at these screenshots from the retail version, the 360 version looks much sharper! The PS3 version resolution seems to be lower and i think that Crytek have used Quincunx AA. I hate this AA because it makes eveything looks like a blurry mess!

PS3: http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa475/NIGHTMAR3xGTx/Games/PS3Crysis3.jpg

360: http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa475/NIGHTMAR3xGTx/Games/Crysis2360-3.jpg

And another trailer from the retail version, it looks so much better than that Pier 17 level from the demo! Be sure to watch it in 720p. :)

They both use the same AA method, as does the PC version. The PS3 version is a definitely little bit blurrier but it's not too bad. I think the gamma differences are making the 360 version look a bit sharper since that's part of how the eye views contrast.

That video looks amazing. The lighting underwater is spectacular.

Man, seeing these console pictures at 720p really reminds me what a horrible resolution console games play at. It's not always that noticable when you're just playing it on your TV passively, but on my monitor? Jeez!

subversus

felipepl said:
And before anyone... tessellation still means nothing to me and seems only interesting in tech demos so far.

Really? May be you don't want to admit that it looks good, because it runs like shit for now? Tesselation makes a big difference in DA2 but less difference in Metro 2033 for me. That's because Metro 2033 isn't starved on polygons while it's easy to notice differences in barren "angular" landscapes of DA2.

Anyway not to derail this thread further I think DX11 will make a huge difference in Crysis 2 no matter how people would want to downplay it because Crytek has always pushed landscape/scenery, lighting and polygons and all these things benefit from DX11 a lot. Only time will tell. May be they'll fail at that.

jett

D-Member
Foliorum Viridum said:
Man, seeing these console pictures at 720p really reminds me what a horrible resolution console games play at. It's not always that noticable when you're just playing it on your TV passively, but on my monitor? Jeez!

It really sucks that these consoles aren't powerful enough for 1080p for most games.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
blazinglazers said:
Wow, do we know how much lower the PS3 resolution is? Between the two it clearly looks worse.
IQ aside, the lighting and everything else looks amazing for consoles. Any idea when we'll be getting a DF head to head with these?
360 is 1152x720 and the PS3 version is 1024x720 if the PC configs are correct. Evidently the 1024x720 resolution works really well with the PS3's scaler so they may have gone with that to make up for some performance differences with a lessened impact on IQ.

subversus said:
yeah, and that's like your opinion man.

Apologies, brother. I thought the Lebowski quote was obvious there. We all have our preferences, and I think I mentioned that I do run Dirt 2 via DX 11.

RoboPlato said:
360 is 1152x720 and the PS3 version is 1024x720 if the PC configs are correct.
Interesting, so they're both sub-hd. Crytek you sneaky bastards.
ColonelColon said:
Is there any unscripted destruction?
From the mp beta and some of the recent youtube videos: glass panes, small trees, concrete barriers (though not the metal plated ones) and concrete pylons inside parking structures can get pretty shredded up. Don't know if there's more, I'm trying to not watch anymore footage!

strata8

blazinglazers said:
Interesting, so they're both sub-hd. Crytek you sneaky bastards.

From the mp beta and some of the recent youtube videos: glass panes, small trees, concrete barriers (though not the metal plated ones) and concrete pylons inside parking structures can get pretty shredded up. Don't know if there's more, I'm trying to not watch anymore footage!
From this shot I could never have guessed that is was sub-HD.

JB1981

GANGSTERKILLER said:

And another trailer from the retail version, it looks so much better than that Pier 17 map from the demo! Be sure to watch it in 720p. :)

i call bs on that being 360 footage.

I could be talking shit but im noticing on PC footage, the HUD is closer to the edges of the screen than 360/PS3 footage (which would make sense). Might be a way of figuring out which ones are real or bullshit.

Truespeed

GANGSTERKILLER said:

Here's an animated PNG comparison. As someone who prefers crisp text and graphics, this does not bode well.

20z1ieg.png

Top Bottom